• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT3| Ball Dropped

storm-rifle_fury-25a784657b89497c9c6efb3a69565a8c.png

Just skin, or something special weapon? (Just like Blood of Suban)

jfoul

I wonder if 343i has considered removing the leave game option for ranked Arena matches. Force people to close to dashboard, or power down the Xbox if they want to quit.

Okay wtf someone explain this shit pls.

I just got Diamond 6. Win one match. Lose the next match. Okay guess I'm back to square one. Win next match. Yay I'm at +1 wins now. Lose next match. De-rank down to Diamond 5.

LIKE WTF I WON THE PREVIOUS MATCH THAT WASNT SUPPOSED TO HAPPEN

So I'm guessing the way ranks progress is that the amount the needle moves is proportionate to how the match goes. Perhaps it was because we lost that last match by a large margin that I ranked down more than usual (even though I was at the top of the team).

How much you gain or lose depends on the other team. For instance, if the system believes your team is highly favored to win and you end up losing, you lose more points.

storm-rifle_fury-25a784657b89497c9c6efb3a69565a8c.png

Just skin, or something special weapon? (Just like Blood of Suban)

It's a special weapon.

mo60

This is the second match in a week I faced platinum level players in team slayer when I'm only silver.Even though my team lost that match unlike the first match were I played against a platinum player I at least did not get killed to much because I played the match at a really slow pace
Screenshot-Original.png

This is the second match in a week I faced platinum level players in team slayer when I'm only silver.Even though my team lost that match unlike the first match were I played against a platinum player I at least did not get killed to much because I played the match at a really slow pace
Screenshot-Original.png

That looks like at least a three man (three have the same tag), so the Plat teamed up with the Silvers and the game was probably trying its best to find a "fair" match. That's why I'm guessing that unranked guy was also thrown in there.

mo60

That looks like at least a three man (three have the same tag), so the Plat teamed up with the Silvers and the game was probably trying its best to find a "fair" match. That's why I'm guessing that unranked guy was also thrown in there.

I just noticed that. I need to check that other match with a platinum player to see if I faced a team.

Wow yet another blue-purplish visor in the new REQ update, 343 must really hate us! I'm joking but visor colors are like the lamest permanent unlock you can get out of a silver/gold pack.

Torque looks really cool though, I'm getting some Condemned vibes from it. I can even see something that looks like concrete in that screenshot so we're getting somewhere!

Somehow I’m on a ten game solo win streak in Slayer, I don’t know how, but I’ll take it. That being said, I really don’t understand the MM sometimes. Take my last game as an example, my team ranged from Onyx 1521 to 1804. Their team highest was only a 1532 and they also got Diamond players. There must be a lot of other factors to take into consideration because on paper this looks like a horrible match up.

Chittagong

Gold Member
What are those green in-ears for the Halo tournament players are using under the larger headsets? Watching the Overdrive-Elevate game on MLG.

Chittagong

Gold Member
A lot of people here have soloed to onyx. Idk how high they've gotten though... Probably no one has soloed 2000+ but then again some of the best players here that could do it don't usually solo queue from what I can gather (like Doge or Scooby).

Onyx in pre season and diamond with a scrub account last week

I've solo'd into diamond several times. It never seemed particularly hard... I could always point to issues with my own play that held my teams back, whether it be poor awareness, low accuracy, or bad positioning. I fix those things, I quickly move up.

Damn, impressive. I have a lot of ground I can cover solo then before having to start looking for a team, my goal is to hit Platinum soon. My best is Gold6 so far.

I think I need to learn better positioning, I think I rush too much into situations.

singhr1

Okay wtf someone explain this shit pls.

I just got Diamond 6. Win one match. Lose the next match. Okay guess I'm back to square one. Win next match. Yay I'm at +1 wins now. Lose next match. De-rank down to Diamond 5.

LIKE WTF I WON THE PREVIOUS MATCH THAT WASNT SUPPOSED TO HAPPEN

So I'm guessing the way ranks progress is that the amount the needle moves is proportionate to how the match goes. Perhaps it was because we lost that last match by a large margin that I ranked down more than usual (even though I was at the top of the team).

Do some stat tracking every post-game using HaloTracker, Halo Carnage, or Waypoint and see if you can find some correlation. Even though you won't get hard numbers, the movement of your progress bar should be enough. I can't test your theory this weekend but I'd love to next weekend if you are unable.

Trup1aya

Damn, impressive. I have a lot of ground I can cover solo then before having to start looking for a team, my goal is to hit Platinum soon. My best is Gold6 so far.

I think I need to learn better positioning, I think I rush too much into situations.

Yeah. I think a lot of people prioritize getting kills... But really you should prioritize dealing damage and staying alive. These are achieved with positioning; be where you can hurt w/o getting hurt.

Dealing damage takes pressure off of your teamates, and staying alive keeps your team out of bad spawn situations. Succeed in that and the kills will come.

In situations where you know you can't survive, it's usually better to try to hurt your attacker than it is to try to flee...

I think what keeps me out of onyx is that I don't have the accuracy to deal onyx levels of damage. I simply don't get enough time to play. But I feel like I'm in the right place most of the time...

So they are responsible for ruining some iconic armors in Halo 5 :(

Generally speaking, these guys blow. Achilles kicks ass though.

singhr1

Not sure if posted earlier but, I was looking through ArtStation again, some other 343i (former or current) employee posted his concept Halo 5 UI (different guy from before).

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/rO5a6

Got to say, some of it looks really good but some still looks too busy for my tastes (like that second image just wouldn't work from a UX perspective because there is just way too many armors to have to scroll thru unless each armor variant has its own submenu LIKE IT SHOULD).

ramiro-galan-spartan-hub-commendations-4.jpg

ramiro-galan-customization-exploration-armors-new-theme-2c.jpg

ramiro-galan-wireframe-servicerecord-3.jpg

Not sure if posted earlier but, I was looking through ArtStation again, some other 343i (former or current) employee posted his concept Halo 5 UI (different guy from before).

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/rO5a6

Got to say, some of it looks really good but some still looks too busy for my tastes (like that second image just wouldn't work from a UX perspective because there is just way too many armors to have to scroll thru unless each armor variant has its own submenu LIKE IT SHOULD).

ramiro-galan-spartan-hub-commendations-4.jpg

ramiro-galan-customization-exploration-armors-new-theme-2c.jpg

ramiro-galan-wireframe-servicerecord-3.jpg

I like them, most look great for the most part.

Don't like 'em. UI's should be clean and simple, not smothered in effects for the sake of it.

343 should just look at Reach and work from that one. The simple fact that they've refused to do so for three games running is ridiculously baffling.

BraXzy

Ofc I'm using the longest one...

I just love the throw it does.

Classic. Funnily enough, I've been using 104 recently just because I love how brutal it is without messing about, but part of me wants to have the crazy back breakers and lawn darts back on.

Looking at the second graph that I totally missed the first time, it seems like they're all fairly similar time wise in total, but the 104 ways to die gets the kill confirmation super quick, in case you keep getting killed before the animation finishes.

Trup1aya

So apparently there were some serious audio issues effecting the blue side of the main stage last night... Red team won all of the matches...

Looking at the performances, I can't say I believe it was a determining factor, but it will forever be an asterisk next to a $2.5m tourney. No Bueno.

Also:
6IQXhfw.png

How the fuck do they go all day without putting EG on the main stage? It's seems like they are focusing on bottom 4 drama, which is cool, but I'm not sure that's what viewers are most interested in. I think they should just have a second channel cover stage 2...

Strider

So apparently there were some serious audio issues effecting the blue side of the main stage last night... Red team won all of the matches...

Yea was reading the same. All the series went as expected except that Liquid v RNG match...

Even though Liquid are capable of beating RNG straight up RNG have never even dropped a map vs Liquid since Ninja joined... 3-0 them in online qualifier and 3-0 at X-games unless I'm misremembering. Now all of the sudden Liquid is sweeping them when supposed audio issues were happening for the blue side? Def seems fishy.

Goes without saying these 2 were heavy favorites to make it out of the group stage anyway regardless of how their matchup went but I've no idea why there aren't sound proof booths instead of using headphones + earbuds like they are currently. Booths >>>>

Platinum 4. Considering I lost like 7/10 matches and went grossly negative in my final two, I'll take it.

I consistently keep getting graded lower and lower, though. Started off at Diamond, then went to Platinum 5 and now 4.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)

Looking at the performances, I can't say I believe it was a determining factor, but it will forever be an asterisk next to a $2.5m tourney. No Bueno.

How the fuck do they go all day without putting EG on the main stage? It's seems like they are focusing on bottom 4 drama, which is cool, but I'm not sure that's what viewers are most interested in. I think they should just have a second channel cover stage 2...

reading the tweets now. multiple teams chiming i saying the same thing. pretty shitty.

Chittagong

Gold Member

Here's a good example of why I find it so difficult to level up. I'm not simply good enough to drag the bottom two of my team. On the other team, the best player manages to carry their dead weight by pulling 29 kills.

I wonder why in nearly every game there is at least one insanely bad player, is it because of my low rank?

IHaveIce

Banned
Ok NA Regionals was weird. Every Blue team lost their match, everyone on blue side complained about audio issues.

Liquid vs Renegades was a 3-0 but probably the closest series played so far, what a great a great rivalry.

I'm also not sure if TP was just good or Optic still struggles.

Glass

Will really suck if Optic go out. I'm new to the scene so I've only just started following them, its great for when you want some more Halo content. I wish they'd turned up months ago so their roster stuck together and they weren't in this mess. It's like Flame and Maniac were snoozing through qualifiers and only woke up when Stellur and Assault left, presumably because the other 2 weren't taking it seriously enough.

Going to be gutted teams like Optic and Envy go out, we'll never know if they were beaten fair and square or if they could have won with working headsets.

jem0208

The fact that every team on the blue side lost yesterday and there are widespread complaints about audio is massively staining my opinion on this tourney so far.

I feel like they should replay the day with equipment which works, there is a very real possibility that these issues have screwed teams out of getting to Worlds.

Trup1aya

Yea was reading the same. All the series went as expected except that Liquid v RNG match...

Even though Liquid are capable of beating RNG straight up RNG have never even dropped a map vs Liquid since Ninja joined... 3-0 them in online qualifier and 3-0 at X-games unless I'm misremembering. Now all of the sudden Liquid is sweeping them when supposed audio issues were happening for the blue side? Def seems fishy.

Goes without saying these 2 were heavy favorites to make it out of the group stage anyway regardless of how their matchup went but I've no idea why there aren't sound proof booths instead of using headphones + earbuds like they are currently. Booths >>>>

It's surely fishy... But mechanically; liquid was playing much better than we've ever seen them. I can't say that communication explains why they were winning 1v1 and 1v2 situations that they would have lost to RNG previously.. Still I wish it was a balanced playing field.

Ramirez

Here's a good example of why I find it so difficult to level up. I'm not simply good enough to drag the bottom two of my team. On the other team, the best player manages to carry their dead weight by pulling 29 kills.

I wonder why in nearly every game there is at least one insanely bad player, is it because of my low rank?

I don't care what level you're at, there's always going to be someone who gets the brunt of it in a match. It's been me, it's been you, it happens to everyone.

Chittagong

Gold Member
I don't care what level you're at, there's always going to be someone who gets the brunt of it in a match. It's been me, it's been you, it happens to everyone.

Figures. Well, anyway, I'm super happy 343 fixed the EU server / lag issues, game plays now like a dream. Nobody to blame but me

BraXzy

The fact that every team on the blue side lost yesterday and there are widespread complaints about audio is massively staining my opinion on this tourney so far.

I feel like they should replay the day with equipment which works, there is a very real possibility that these issues have screwed teams out of getting to Worlds.

That's really really bad. Did none of the players complain about the issue during the games? What happened with that? That's certainly a sour taste.

186f14b115b8165ca6f21ca09b165790.png

Caja 117

Tell me about it, yesterday I lost 3 or 4 games and It was my fault, I just didnt do enough to give my team the win I shoulndt be loosing game when I can tell Im the best player in the match.

Strider

Yea it seems like (at least) one of the mixamps was fucked so one person couldn't communicate with their teammates. Ninja and 2gre were sitting in the same seat on blue side.

jem0208

That's really really bad. Did none of the players complain about the issue during the games? What happened with that? That's certainly a sour taste.

I dunno, it does seem like pretty much every team on the blue side has been complaining afterwards though. The chances of a replay are basically nil but it's completely soured me on the tournament now.
That's terrible.
Yup. The fact that this issue could well have screwed some teams out of a chance at worlds is bullshit.

Yeah, exactly. Some games you'll dominate, some games you'll get donged on no matter what you do.

It's the way the universe works.

Strider

I wish there was an easy place to view the standings so far. I still have no idea what happened in those stage 2 matches...

IHaveIce

Banned

They should replay those matches, I mean they probably can't but well...

Good to hear they replaced all mixamps for today

Top Bottom