• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT3| Ball Dropped

Welfare

Halo 5 has the worst BTB maps ever. Honestly, BTB feels like an after-thought.

It was lol. They had the community make the maps for launch and they only give a shit about Warzone for non 4v4 gameplay.

I doubt we will even see an actual dev made map for BTB before June.

I had a lot of fun on Antifreeze last night, but it does look like hot garbage.

I also realized that I was opening SILVER packs after they released more COMMONS, so I was overspending on garbage packs :'(

IIRC fire rate is the same, but reload speed, shot spread and bullet magnetism are a little different than H5 BR.

EDIT: H5 BR actually has a *slightly* faster TTK https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DG11BbBt05o

Thanks for the video!
Wow, no wonder its a legendary req. smaller spread overall and a lot higher magetism, i think just as much as the AR.

The bullet magnetism on the H2 BR is ridiculous, it's like having aim bot.

aim bot indeed. lol

Now i want it in warzone, omg.

Caja 117

The amount of people crouching with the Storm Rifle is ridiculous... Combined with radar, this is in no way competetive. So dumb, because you can't even have decent precision weapon fights anymore.

I think that is exaggerating it a little bit.

jem0208

On some maps (Empire) it's not that far from the truth some times. I've had games where the other team pretty much only used the SR. It's a really bad weapon at the moment.

Also Spartan Charge sucks.

I bet they put in a playlist with Precision weapons only for starting and on the map.

Nah i cant bet on that.

On some maps (Empire) it's not that far from the truth some times. I've had games where the other team pretty much only used the SR. It's a really bad weapon at the moment.

Also Spartan Charge sucks.

It's so weird sometimes. Depending on the games connection, you can spartan charge from far away and as long as you barely connect with them at the end, you'll pop their sheild.

i think in a perfect server with perfect pings, you can dodge is very easily with thrust. with crappy pings and people teleporting, spartan charge becomes a wild hiena.

It doesn't surprise me. Anecdotally, we're seeing a lot of retention around these parts, friends of mine are buying Xbox Ones to play Halo 5, there's a booster system that I actually engage with... Game's good. Shooting heads has never been better.

jem0208

It doesn't surprise me. Anecdotally, we're seeing a lot of retention around these parts, friends of mine are buying Xbox Ones to play Halo 5, there's a booster system that I actually engage with... Game's good. Shooting heads has never been better.

It's currently sitting behind Battlefront in the most played list. Battlefront apparently has 27'000 people currently playing it... http://swbstats.com/

I mean I absolutely love the game, I don't believe that the player retention is very good at all though.

It's currently sitting behind Battlefront in the most played list. Battlefront apparently has 27'000 people currently playing it... http://swbstats.com/

I mean I absolutely love the game, I don't believe that the player retention is very good at all though.

comparing battlefront to halo isn't really fair though.

one is a mass-appeal game for [mostly] casuals with a low skill-ceiling, the other is a competitive niche-appeal game for [mostly] hardcores [for lack of a better term] with a high skill-ceiling.

if player retention is high, percentage wise, then that's nothing but a good thing.

halo will never beat battlefront numbers, so it just seems pointless to me comparing the two in a statistical manner.

jem0208

comparing battlefront to halo isn't really fair though.

one is a mass-appeal game for [mostly] casuals with a low skill-ceiling, the other is a competitive niche-appeal game for [mostly] hardcores [for lack of a better term] with a high skill-ceiling.

if player retention is high, percentage wise, then that's nothing but a good thing.

halo will never beat battlefront numbers, so it just seems pointless to me comparing the two in a statistical manner.

I'm not comparing the numbers at all, I'm using Battlefront's numbers as an indication as to H5's. It shows that H5 currently has less than 27'000 people playing it which is not much...

Fuchsdh

I'm not comparing the numbers at all, I'm using Battlefront's numbers as an indication as to H5's. It shows that H5 currently has less than 27'000 people playing it which is not much...

You're picking the absolutely worst time to poll numbers.

Akai__

Not sure, but dying 6 times from a Storm Rifle (+ Melee) in a match, when you actually could have had 6 Pistol fights is just frustrating. This radar is probably the worst offender. Just wished it was completely gone.

I lol everytine tries to Sherlock the H5 population numbers and try to make some wild conclusions with it.

Halo is not that popular anymore, you can say that it was because we had 3 bad back to bank games which MAY have played a part in it, but we live in a world where Call Of Duty is considered the end-all, be-all of shooters and they all play more or less the same.

Halo 5 is still a fantastic game, it's just not in its prime anymore.

Fuchsdh

Even at this time I would be very surprised if numbers dropped this low percentage wise for other Halos.

For Halo 4 at this point it definitely hit this low. I have no idea where the total daily population compares, though—obviously we don't have the data.

BraXzy

I don't believe that player retention is the best since Halo 3. I never see it on the top 10 most played anymore.

I don't think people are quite understanding that statistic, which has been posted here before.

If there's 100 players total, and 90 people stick around after a month, that's a 90% retention rate. If there's 100,000 players at peak and after a month there's 50,000, that's a 50% retention. So after Halo 4's drop in population, it makes a lot of sense.

jem0208

For Halo 4 at this point it definitely hit this low. I have no idea where the total daily population compares, though—obviously we don't have the data.

For 4? Sure. I Doubt it for Reach and 2 though.

I don't think people are quite understanding that statistic, which has been posted here before.

If there's 100 players total, and 90 people stick around after a month, that's a 90% retention rate. If there's 100,000 players at peak and after a month there's 50,000, that's a 50% retention. So after Halo 4's drop in population, it makes a lot of sense.

I understand what it means, I just don't believe it.

On another note, got placed in Onyx 1649 for Slayer, pretty damn happy with that.

This. Smaller numbers, in likelihood, but proportionally higher vis retention.

As for believing it, why disbelieve it?

Fuchsdh

For 4? Sure. I Doubt it for Reach and 2 though.

People understand what it means, I just don't believe it.

On another note, got placed in Onyx 1649 for Slayer, pretty damn happy with that.

And Reach and 3 likely sold more copies (and Battlefront most definitely did), so I'm not sure I follow how that's relevant.

BraXzy

Because all the evidence we have points to the game don't doing particularly well as far as population is concerned...

Another thing, it's a pretty generalised statistic, there's a lot of ways that could be twisted to work in favour. They might be counting monthly active unique users, live pop count probably has little to do with it.

It depends on who you play, the tougher the competition the faster you rank up. I went from Diamond three to Diamond four in two games because I was playing against Onyxes. Other times it has taken me three to four games because I'm getting matched with Plats and Golds.
I would be okay with that if on the flip side it took into account when you lose that you were down a man, but it doesn't. So i think it's booty. Should be both ways but it isnt.
A loss is a loss no matter what the in-game circumstances were and that's not fair. I want the benefit of the doubt when I win since the game is so willing to screw me over when I lose.

Trup1aya

Player retention and peak player count are two very different things...

Perhaps the players that Halo 5 is retaining don't all play at the same time, or on the same days.

Peak numbers don't neccisarily correlate to retention at all..

What we really need is to know how many unique users there are each month. It's probably possible, but difficult to figure out how many unique players are still playing the game using the developer API. Some guy on Reddit did some data mining mid-January and found that just over 130,000 people had recieved ranks in team slayer.

So you could say that Halo 5 had > 130,000 active users last month.

jem0208

Another thing, it's a pretty generalised statistic, there's a lot of ways that could be twisted to work in favour. They might be counting monthly active unique users, live pop count probably has little to do with it.

That is true, there's a lot of ways to spin this. It could be the average number of hours played or something along those lines.

Player retention and peak player count are two very different things...

Perhaps the players that Halo 5 is retaining don't all play at the same time, or on the same days.

Perhaps... then again you'd think the exact same thing could be said about the previous Halos.

Just to note guys, I fucking love this game. It's the definition of digital crack for me. I play as much as I can. I just don't think it's doing as well as the other Halos.

BraXzy

Just to note guys, I fucking love this game. It's the definition of digital crack for me. I play as much as I can. I just don't think it's doing as well as the other Halos.

We know Jem, we know <3

For real though when are we playing Slayer? ;)

AdAZQAN.png

Interesting that in the new arena playlist background there is a SAW on Plaza, hopefully the new maps will bring some new power weapons into play.

Trup1aya

That is true, there's a lot of ways to spin this. It could be the average number of hours played or something along those lines.

Perhaps... then again you'd think the exact same thing could be said about the previous Halos.

What could be said about previous halo's? I don't think anyone was ever privy to unique user counts or age of those accounts... Which is really the only way the guage retention rates.

I'm just saying that peak numbers are essentially useless for trying to guage how many active players there are total.

A game could peak at 200,000/day , but only have 300,000 total active users/month. A game could peak at 50,000/day and have 500,000 total active users/month, who just get on at different times. There's really now way to tell.

It's amazing Arena Breakout lasted this long. When it first released I just assumed it was a weekend thing and they were throwing it in to test out the gametype. It really never made sense.

OO SHIZZ ITS HAPPENING!!!

New weapon placement in current MAPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can i get a AMEN!? or can i get a GRLGRLGRLGRLGRLGRGRL!?

Anway,i hope we get some LEGENDARY or ULTRA RARE reqs in some maps.

Totally lieing as i have no information on the upcoming update to the arena playlists

dont hate me

Where is that shot from? Have the Arena playlist changes gone live?

This is one of the random background in the Team Arena playlist, which I believe is new in this patch (not new today, it was a couple days old screenshot), previously there was only the one on Coliseum.

People saying how easy the H2 BR is compared to the aimbot H5 BR? wat

If H5 BR is aimbot, the H2 BR is aimbot on steroids.

OO SHIZZ ITS HAPPENING!!!

New weapon placement in current MAPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can i get a AMEN!? or can i get a GRLGRLGRLGRLGRLGRGRL!?

Anway,i hope we get some LEGENDARY or ULTRA RARE reqs in some maps.

Totally lieing as i have no information on the upcoming update to the arena playlists

dont hate me

>.>

BraXzy

New image since the February Season

Ooh, I haven't played Team Arena this season yet I don't think, that explains it. Thanks.

I wonder if they just play customs to get cool shots or if it is indeed a sign of things to come. Is the SAW on any Arena map at all? I can't think of one which is odd for a weapon in the sandbox.

Since we're talking weapon replacements, can we maybe replace the Plasma Caster with something more useful on The Rig? I mean I love the Plasma Caster but it's tough to use on the map when the other team has Tower 2 locked down. Maybe throw some rockets in there instead?

Ooh, I haven't played Team Arena this season yet I don't think, that explains it. Thanks.

I wonder if they just play customs to get cool shots or if it is indeed a sign of things to come. Is the SAW on any Arena map at all? I can't think of one which is odd for a weapon in the sandbox.

Nope, before Riptide there were only Plasma Caster, Sniper, Rocket, Fuel Rod and Railgun on the maps, with Shotgun, Scattershot, Hydra and Sword acting as 2nd tier weapons, Riptide added Beam Rifle and Spnkr.

SAW should have gone the way of the Sticky Detonator. Pointless weapon. Hydra should go next.

Sandbox is bloated. Need Grenade Launcher and Sentinel Beam back instead.

JackHerer

Arena ppl will get to know the SAW, it is super strong

Please god no Saw in arena. If they bring back the nade launcher I will be a very happy man.

I would really love to see arena breakout removed. It's the worst game type in the game right now imo. I just sigh each time it comes up. Why has it taken them so long to remove it?

Top Bottom