• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT3| Ball Dropped

But forreal, the sandbox is pretty bloated atm. I would keep a set amount of weapons in arena and leave the rest in warzone. After trying to get ranked in FFA and matching champions...radar needs to go in at least the team arena list, automatics need a nerf preferably in range.

By far the most frustrating Halo to play at a high level, literally don't get how pro's do this everyday. in b4 git gud

BraXzy

No news about the playlist changes?

It has happened I think?? I don't know if any official channels have posted about it.

Edit: Breakout has changed description now right?
HjG6na2.jpg

Leyasu

Banned
Yup, love the game, but definitely brutal.

I find swat a little less stressful than arena slayer.

My cousin always rage quits when we play slayer together. I will try swat with him next time. Thanks for the idea!! But I know that he would stay longer if we could play objective. He is a ctf fiend, and I know he loves assault too.

It has been done to death, but a ctf, assault, strongholds plus others playlist would attract and retain players I am sure.

Yeah, since their server update monday, i've noticed a lot of latency issues. delayed nades, delayed melee deaths, the spartan charge issue, ar bullets following the spartan around the corner.

even though i exploited it and got plenty of kills, it still isn't something i want for anyone on either end of the receiving thrust.

This week has been great for me. But like alot of people I have been on the receiving end of some terrible injustices because of 343s decisions. I have also abused Americans and others that have tasted 343s shaft. Lol.

But like you said it ain't right.

The Hydra is awesome, FOH.

I like the hydra, it is guaranteed kills. The fuel rod though....

Is anyone else just fucking awful at FFA in Halo 5? I used to be really good at it in Halo 3, but for some reason I just can't play FFA in this game. I'm garbage at it.

BraXzy

Stealth Diamond rank brag

You know it ;)

It has definitely been Community Breakout up until today right? If must have been because it now mentions including 9 community maps. So I've gotta get practising on them for DAT Onyx placement.

Rip whoever the 10th map maker was :(

The Hydra is awesome, FOH.

On vehicles and people who are looking the other way.

Hydra is a skill weapon. I've had some people catch me off guard with that thing in arena. It's all about knowing when to use it.

Exactly. If someone is paying attention you'd be better off giving them an evil look.

So many homing weapons in this game. Want to talk about a "Skill Weapon" then bring back the Grenade Launcher and be done with it.

D

Doge

Unconfirmed Member
On vehicles and people who are standing still

Hydra is a skill weapon. I've had some people catch me off guard with that thing in arena. It's all about knowing when to use it.

BraXzy

The new Breakout maps aren't in our default maps list from 343 so you can't give them a look over in customs/Forge unless you find all nine individual creators and bookmark them.

Unless a build restart is required.

Strider

9 is a lot of maps to add and IMO some of those were really bad.

I want more maps for arena but I hope they are a little bit more selective when they start adding maps to Team Arena and Slayer. Otherwise were gonna end up with a bunch of remakes that don't play well in Halo 5 but because most people said yes they're in....

Magwik

Banned
9 is a lot of maps to add and IMO some of those were really bad.

I want more maps for arena but I hope they are a little bit more selective when they start adding maps to Team Arena and Slayer. Otherwise were gonna end up with a bunch of remakes that don't play well in Halo 5 but because most people said yes they're in....

Wait they added all 9? What was the point of the community vote then???

Madness

First placement match of the new season. And they expect us to do this every month? Probably will be the last season I play ranked games in this game. Will stick to just Warzone after this. No I didn't play the best, but I'm absolutely tired of being either the best guy in the match or my team and losing.

Tawpgun

When we steamroll a team through garage and armory and they barely let us touch the core.... I think something is wrong with that.

That backdoor entrance to the core room should be available on every warzone assault map

Karl2177

When we steamroll a team through garage and armory and they barely let us touch the core.... I think something is wrong with that.

That backdoor entrance to the core room should be available on every warzone assault map
On the other end of it, they can't escape and capture the opposing armory. Escape from ARC should be pulled imo.

Is anyone else just fucking awful at FFA in Halo 5? I used to be really good at it in Halo 3, but for some reason I just can't play FFA in this game. I'm garbage at it.

The fact that spawns aren't very good and you can sprint immediately out into battle makes it a lot more stressful. I constantly am turning around to make sure people aren't spawning behind me.

I'm happy with all of the breakout maps getting in. The only ones I didn't vote for were Absolute in Deadcenter. I'm assuming one of these got axed.

D

Doge

Unconfirmed Member

FFA in this game forces you to bait your kills.

belushy

Banned
Yeah I'm trash at FFA as well. Kinda miss the plain and simple Midship FFAs. If anyone ever wants to do H2BR start FFAs on Truth, we should try and set it up.

BraXzy

Yeah I'm trash at FFA as well. Kinda miss the plain and simple Midship FFAs. If anyone ever wants to do H2BR start FFAs on Truth, we should try and set it up.

I can never clean up my kills in FFA or get them stolen from me. I consistantly hit double digit figures for assists.

D

Doge

Unconfirmed Member
I can never clean up my kills in FFA or get them stolen from me. I consistantly hit double digit figures for assists.

If you are getting mad assists in FFA, you are playing it wrong. You have to bait your kills. You also need to know when to engage someone. If you can't finish the fight, don't engage it.

If you are getting mad assists in FFA, you are playing it wrong. You have to bait your kills. You also need to know when to engage someone. If you can't finish the fight, don't engage it.

+1. Never shoot across the map or when someone can easily get out of sight. Someone will just clean up for you.

E92 M3

Don't shoot unless you have a high degree of certainty of getting the kill. In arena, the opposite rule applies where you want to shoot everything that moves to get the assists lol.

schlew

It's funny, whenever someone posts a screen to talk about how bad their random teammates were I always look for my name. I've had some bad matches, not going to lie. Just a habit, and I have no idea what I'd say if I was on the receiving end of a Gaffers complaint.

On the topic of the new Breakout maps, I'm super happy to have them, but there is one that bothered me. I should look it up in my play history. It basically had an invisibility pick-up on a lower level, and it just caused folks to bolt for it constantly. I didn't appreciate that there was no danger in getting it, you weren't vulnerable in your attempts. Just a matter of getting there first.

Don't shoot unless you have a high degree of certainty of getting the kill. In arena, the opposite rule applies where you want to shoot everything that moves to get the assists lol.

FFA is terrible training for Team Arena in that way. Kind of a bummer.

e.g. me playing FFA:

Screenshot-Original.png

D

Doge

Unconfirmed Member
FFA is terrible training for Team Arena in that way. Kind of a bummer.

e.g. me playing FFA:

I am not saying this to you, but since you mentioned it:

Never use FFA as a way to train for Team Arena. It teaches you bad habits. The best thing FFA can do for you is help your gun game and that is not even significant either since if you are playing FFA at a proficient level, you would be baiting most of your kills anyway.

Best way to train for Team Arena is just play on an alt. I'm starting to just warm up on mine. Sure you don't get REQs and XP on your main for a couple games but oh well.

Ramirez

Exactly. If someone is paying attention you'd be better off giving them an evil look.

So many homing weapons in this game. Want to talk about a "Skill Weapon" then bring back the Grenade Launcher and be done with it.

It's a tier 2 weapon and requires knowing when and how to use it properly, what's the issue?

Also, how about some forge map additions to Slayer/TA? A community playlist at the very least. I don't understand the extreme focus and updates on the number 9 playlist. Shit is garbage, take the L and move on.

Trup1aya

Nah, hydra is just straight up good. Vehicles have nothing to do with it.

It only takes .37s to lock on with it, so if I'm pre-scoped I'll have a target locked before I get descoped 9 times out of 10.

Nah, hydra is just straight up good. Vehicles have nothing to do with it.

It only takes .37s to lock on with it, so if I'm pre-scoped I'll have a target locked before I get descoped 9 times out of 10.

Is that why no one used it in the X Games? It's on Eden Strongholds, right?

D

Doge

Unconfirmed Member
Best way to train for Team Arena is just play on an alt. I'm starting to just warm up on mine. Sure you don't get REQs and XP on your main for a couple games but oh well.

I would not recommend that either. The only people that should be playing on ALTs are people who are hitting low tier champions and finding a match begins to prove difficult. If you want to get better, you should be grinding on your main.

You want to be playing people at your skill level.

If you play team arena and want to get better, here are some things you can do...

Positioning:
~Always be mindful where you place yourself. Will it help your team? Can you get away if things turn to shit? You need to constantly put yourself in a spot that will be effective for your team. You also need to take into consideration that if shit hits the fan, that spot should make it harder for the other team to kill you. It should allow you to survive for as long as possible while also being able to remain combat effective for your team.

Gun Game:
~Let's be real here, gun skill helps. You just have to find a way to get better for those individual fights that will occur in arena. If you can't win your 1v1s, then do not expect to get far in arena because there will be battles that you will have to win on your own to make those "plays".

Theater:
~Yo this exist now and it is not only there for you to go back and watch your montage moments. It is there for you to study as well. Learn positioning yo! Learn why you lost that battle you did. Ask yourself what can you do better.

Purpose
~When you play arena, you need to have purpose on the battlefield. From spawn you should have an idea of what you are going to accomplish. Don't venture to any part of the map without purpose cause you will just be confused and look stupid. Take into consideration what spawns on the map. EVERYTHING is viable. Boltshot? Fantastic gun. Hydra? Has a higher skill ceiling, but if used right, you suppress people. EVERYTHING has a purpose and works.

Engaging
~Shoot anything that is not on your team. If you see an enemy, put some shots on that mofo. When you bleed there shields, they tend to be less inclined to fight. Get those damage numbers up! You need to keep in mind, if you break there shields, DO NOT CHASE unless you have a teammate near you and you KNOW for sure you can secure that kill without having to trade. Sometimes trading is inevitable, but keep that in mind. A lot of people tend to see someone with no shields and decide to chase, it is never wise to do such a thing.

When you break their shields, you already know they are going to call for that backup so if you cannot chase, then keep a mental note where that person was and that they will be out of the fight for a few seconds. If help comes, then you better be ready to back away cause they might challenge with that help.

Communication
~We all know this is a plus, but I laugh when people say just to call out. Calling out is not enough. You need to let your teammates know where you decide to go as well. If you are going X area, then say you are going X area. If you see an enemy X area, try to say where he is going from X area. As in. That guy is in X area going to X area. If you are going to push, then ask someone to come with you. Communication is only as effective as you make it be.

Times:
~Everything is on a clock. Keep in mind as to when it spawns.

Powerups:
~Overshield and Camo are HUGE. Getting those on the map are essential. Controlling those can influence you in controlling power weapons. Get those powerups and NEVER ignore them. If the enemy gets them, MAKE it your job for them to die. Killing them is pivotal.

This is only brief cause I wanted to be as short as possible. I will not be surprised if I did not cover everything.

Trup1aya

Is that why no one used it in the X Games? It's on Eden Strongholds, right?

It's in Eden slayer, I don't know if it's on Strongholds or not.

I think best players in the world are banking on the idea that their competition can react AND land a shot in <.37 seconds...

But for 94% of the population, odds are you can get the lock on, get behind cover, and fire your shots well before you are near death.

It takes 1.1s to get a perfect kill with the pistol. So if you start your hydra scan first, or if your target misses their first shot, they are as good as dead (assuming a reaction time of .26s)

Top Bottom