• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT3| Ball Dropped

mo60

Nope, before Riptide there were only Plasma Caster, Sniper, Rocket, Fuel Rod and Railgun on the maps, with Shotgun, Scattershot, Hydra and Sword acting as 2nd tier weapons, Riptide added Beam Rifle and Spnkr.

I have yet to find the Spnkr on that map. Don't you mean the halo 2 BR?

Caja 117

For 4? Sure. I Doubt it for Reach and 2 though..

I'm almost certain that Reach had as a bad retention as Halo 4, Halo Reach just happened to open strong in online population, and after the CoD was released it was reduced considerably. (less than 100k after 2 months)

So its basically percentages, and, I don't think its a bad things to use percentage as a metric, if you have a game where 50% (example) of the players are still playing, even if the numbers of players are Iess than other Halo, you need to feel good that half of the people still are coming back, as oppose to a previous game where after a couple of month only 1/10 of the player base was still there.

I really don't think the person that mentioned the player retention was lying.

remember retention doesnt mean large numbers.

if COD has 1 million players and it drops by half, and my game has 10 players and i only lose 1, my game has better retention

I'm not comparing the numbers at all, I'm using Battlefront's numbers as an indication as to H5's. It shows that H5 currently has less than 27'000 people playing it which is not much...

not contesting that.

but you're not receiving what I'm trying to communicate.

retention quality is about percentages, not grand sums.

if a higher percentage of people are continuing to play Halo 5 than the series' last multiplayer smash hit, this is nothing but a good thing, and indicative of people enjoying the core gameplay they've come up with this time.

i just think it's good news, regardless of halo's general drop in popularity [which is inevitable among the modern shooting crowd].

mo60

I'm almost certain that Reach had as a bad retention as Halo 4, Halo Reach just happened to open strong in online population, and after the CoD was released it was reduced considerably. (less than 100k after 2 months)

So its basically percentages, and, I don't think its a bad things to use percentage as a metric, if you have a game where 50% (example) of the players are still playing, even if the numbers of players are Iess than other Halo, you need to feel good that half of the people still are coming back, as oppose to a previous game where after a couple of month on 1/10 of the player base is still there.

I really don't think the person that mentioned the player retention was lying.

Also, I don't think Halo 5 lost a ton of players comparing now to like mid/late november. It seems to peak a bit lower then what it peaked at one month into it's life but it's not that big of a difference.We need more data to determine this. SWBF3's player retention is probably very bad for the xbox one version looking at SWBStats, but we also need more data to determine this.I can see halo 5 eventually pass it again in the top 10 xbox one most played list.

There are only two multiplayer games that I played for longer than 3 months since Modern Warfare 2, the other one is Titanfall (I actually still play it once a week at least), and I can't see me stop playing it any time soon.

Caja 117

Also, I don't think Halo 5 lost a ton of players comparing now to like mid/late november. It seems to peak a bit lower then what it peaked at one month in it's life but it's not that big of a difference. SWBF3's player retention is probably very bad for the xbox one version looking at SWBStats, but we need more data to determine this.I can see halo 5 eventually pass it again in the top 10 xbox one most played list eventually.

What I think is, that based on the current gaming environment were you have a lot of options and competition developers of games not named Call of Duty wont measure their success on raw population numbers, when you go to see the chart the competition is CoD, GTA, SW, FiFa, MAdden, NBA 2k16 and Destiny.

3 sports game: 1 is the most popular sports in the planet, the other is around championship time, and the other is on the peak of the season.

Caja 117

Not sure, but dying 6 times from a Storm Rifle (+ Melee) in a match, when you actually could have had 6 Pistol fights is just frustrating. This radar is probably the worst offender. Just wished it was completely gone.

mean, yeah, I understand it could happen, but I don't think you don't have any quality precision battle in matches.

Madness

9b080574958dbb0e3753534ec113d01f.png

For those wondering if Formal still has it. If he came back, he would easily be top 5 in my opinion. Maybe if the Pro League after this year's HWC has large prize pools and next year's championship has as much as this year's, I could see a lot of pros who've left for CoD money coming back.

BraXzy

I don't know what's worse in solo queue, people who are in parties, or people who have mics that just have background noise and zero callouts. If I call something out, you should at the least be facing that way when you die fml.

IHaveIce

Banned
9b080574958dbb0e3753534ec113d01f.png

For those wondering if Formal still has it. If he came back, he would easily be top 5 in my opinion. Maybe if the Pro League after this year's HWC has large prize pools and next year's championship has as much as this year's, I could see a lot of pros who've left for CoD money coming back.

yeah crazy. he played with Spartan and they played against a lot of pros.

BraXzy

For those wondering if Formal still has it...

Impressive. I hope more pro's do come back to grow the scene. He keeps teasing.

champion rank number 1 out of 200? O_O .. well, ranked 1 out of everyone who has ranked so far. right?

Yup so he currently has the highest Onyx CSR out of any player in that playlist. If someone gets bigger he'd drop to Champion 2.

Edit: According to HaloTracker his CSR is currently 2309.

belushy

Banned
Formal coming back to Halo at this point would triple our viewers I think lol

I wish it would happen but he has such a good thing going in COD right now, and potentially having to play in a CWL league and a Halo Pro league would probably be too much work.

Impressive. I hope more pro's do come back to grow the scene. He keeps teasing.

Yup so he currently has the highest Onyx CSR out of any player in that playlist. If someone gets bigger he'd drop to Champion 2.

damn son. the league after HCS should be good. hoping more teams get into the fray so next HCS is even WILDER!!!!

1 out of everyone who has grinded to 1800+ from at least 1700 (the new highest cap you can be at after placements)
https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/community/blog-posts/february-matchmaking-updates

I meant out of the top 200 champions. but i see your point. dayum.

BraXzy

Ughhhhh SWAT is going to force me in Platinum 3 again :'(

That entire last match was Plat 3's and 4's. 7/8 wins so far, many of which had Diamond and Onyx in. That match I just went 21-4, why is the matchmaking system so determined to keep me at this rank?

Ocho

It has been a while, but the Discord HaloGAF group is live 'n kicking. We have some groups running evening nights (US timezone, although we have Braxzy to pull weight EU times). Looking for more people to play competitive arena & customs (Warzone sucks).

Follow the link https://discordapp.com/invite/0bfhDvCfOJWaIH4D or click the big Discord button on the OT.

Play with us and get officially tagged as a Spartan. We also have our own Cortana.

Or just keep company in our #off-topic channel where bad decisions are made daily.

Who here plays regularly that I don't have added? I want to play more, but always decide against it when I see no one on. Add me, GT is same as username. Put a message with it so I know you're from GAF.

blamite

I've had some really fun Fathom FFAs recently. I love hanging out in one of the Treehouses and Combat Evolving the Railgun to myself 3-4 times a game. :D

BraXzy

Hallelujah, I actually got Diamond. TY based 343. Two playlists left.. Not sure I have the strength to pop into FFA yet.

Leyasu

Banned
I bet they put in a playlist with Precision weapons only for starting and on the map.

Nah i cant bet on that.

It's so weird sometimes. Depending on the games connection, you can spartan charge from far away and as long as you barely connect with them at the end, you'll pop their sheild.

i think in a perfect server with perfect pings, you can dodge is very easily with thrust. with crappy pings and people teleporting, spartan charge becomes a wild hiena.

I know that I shouldn't, but it is nice to see an American bitch about the servers like a tier 2 gamer. But it shows how badly things are being managed.

It doesn't surprise me. Anecdotally, we're seeing a lot of retention around these parts, friends of mine are buying Xbox Ones to play Halo 5, there's a booster system that I actually engage with... Game's good. Shooting heads has never been better.

The game is god-tier, but fucking relentlessly brutal and punishing un the slayer playlist.. Although an objective only playlist could possibly help alleviate the stress for some... Shame we don't have one though!

blamite

I need to try that, but overall hate Fathom FFA.

Yeah, in general it hasn't been one of my favorites. With the Storm Rifle or SMG or something though you can hold down a treehouse pretty easily though and get a lot of kills of players trying to pass through. Close access to scatter and plasma nades too.

I think the Railgun on that map is the easiest launch I've tried, although (at least the way I do it) it takes a few seconds for the weapon to hit the wall above you and then land on the hallway.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I know that I shouldn't, but it is nice to see an American bitch about the servers like a tier 2 gamer. But it shows how badly things are being managed.

The game is god-tier, but fucking relentlessly brutal and punishing un the slayer playlist.. Although an objective only playlist could possibly help alleviate the stress for some... Shame we don't have one though!

Yup, love the game, but definitely brutal.

I find swat a little less stressful than arena slayer.

Yeah, since their server update monday, i've noticed a lot of latency issues. delayed nades, delayed melee deaths, the spartan charge issue, ar bullets following the spartan around the corner.

even though i exploited it and got plenty of kills, it still isn't something i want for anyone on either end of the receiving thrust.

Leyasu

Banned
I don't believe that player retention is the best since Halo 3. I never see it on the top 10 most played anymore.

Obviously not a accurate, but in my experience I had around 12 - 15 people on my friends list playing this for a few weeks after launch. Now if I see 4 it's alot..

Top Bottom