• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT3| Ball Dropped

E92 M3

I would not recommend that either. The only people that should be playing on ALTs are people who are hitting low tier champions and finding a match begins to prove difficult. If you want to get better, you should be grinding on your main.

You want to be playing people at your skill level.

If you play team arena and want to get better, here are some things you can do...

Positioning:
~Always be mindful where you place yourself. Will it help your team? Can you get away if things turn to shit? You need to constantly put yourself in a spot that will be effective for your team. You also need to take into consideration that if shit hits the fan, that spot should make it harder for the other team to kill you. It should allow you to survive for as long as possible while also being able to remain combat effective for your team.

Gun Game:
~Let's be real here, gun skill helps. You just have to find a way to get better for those individual fights that will occur in arena. If you can't win your 1v1s, then do not expect to get far in arena because there will be battles that you will have to win on your own to make those "plays".

Theater:
~Yo this exist now and it is not only there for you to go back and watch your montage moments. It is there for you to study as well. Learn positioning yo! Learn why you lost that battle you did. Ask yourself what can you do better.

Purpose
~When you play arena, you need to have purpose on the battlefield. From spawn you should have an idea of what you are going to accomplish. Don't venture to any part of the map without purpose cause you will just be confused and look stupid. Take into consideration what spawns on the map. EVERYTHING is viable. Boltshot? Fantastic gun. Hydra? Has a higher skill ceiling, but if used right, you suppress people. EVERYTHING has a purpose and works.

Engaging
~Shoot anything that is not on your team. If you see an enemy, put some shots on that mofo. When you bleed there shields, they tend to be less inclined to fight. Get those damage numbers up! You need to keep in mind, if you break there shields, DO NOT CHASE unless you have a teammate near you and you KNOW for sure you can secure that kill without having to trade. Sometimes trading is inevitable, but keep that in mind. A lot of people tend to see someone with no shields and decide to chase, it is never wise to do such a thing.

When you break their shields, you already know they are going to call for that backup so if you cannot chase, then keep a mental note where that person was and that they will be out of the fight for a few seconds. If help comes, then you better be ready to back away cause they might challenge with that help.

Communication
~We all know this is a plus, but I laugh when people say just to call out. Calling out is not enough. You need to let your teammates know where you decide to go as well. If you are going X area, then say you are going X area. If you see an enemy X area, try to say where he is going from X area. As in. That guy is in X area going to X area. If you are going to push, then ask someone to come with you. Communication is only as effective as you make it be.

Times:
~Everything is on a clock. Keep in mind as to when it spawns.

Powerups:
~Overshield and Camo are HUGE. Getting those on the map are essential. Controlling those can influence you in controlling power weapons. Get those powerups and NEVER ignore them. If the enemy gets them, MAKE it your job for them to die. Killing them is pivotal.

This is only brief cause I wanted to be as short as possible. I will not be surprised if I did not cover everything.

PNVHy5n.gif

Throwing down that knowledge.

I would not recommend that either. The only people that should be playing on ALTs are people who are hitting low tier champions and finding a match begins to prove difficult. If you want to get better, you should be grinding on your main.

Your other great advice aside, you were under the assumption my alt is not around my skill level! :) My alt is just there so I'm not super uptight about winning or losing. Just want to play well and work on different skills. To each his own though. Granted some people may not want to invest that much time in an alt to get around the skill range.

I think your best points people tend to forget are coordinating pushes with teammates and not chasing.

D

Doge

Unconfirmed Member
Your other great advice aside, you were under the assumption my alt is not around my skill level! :) My alt is just there so I'm not super uptight about winning or losing. Just want to play well and work on different skills. Granted some people may not want to invest that much time in an alt to get around the skill range.

I think your best points people tend to forget are coordinating pushes with teammates and not chasing.

For sure. I still hold the opinion that a person should not have an alt unless they reached a point where finding games on their main proves a problem. Also my post was not directly meant towards you. :)

I'll just add if you're having a tough time in Arena or Slayer solo then shadow teammates when you spawn. Literally you make them more effective, lock down parts of maps and you don't even need them to have a mic to play with. A little practice with that technique and you get to see the plays and fails real players experience, no need for theatre most of the time.

You're also generally wanting to keep a little distance for spotting and grenade safety etc. This positions you to team fire, clean up kills, evade if that player dies and communicate back to the rest of the team if you're using your mic. As you get better at this your team movements will start to sweep over map segments as you clear enemies or gather pickups. Progress can be made by moving further away from supporting other players by using sightlines rather than close proximity.

Use your reticle as your guide, like a dog following it's nose, always have your reticule where you're expecting a player's upper chest/headshot to be. You'll start to move around maps that way and deliberately adjust your aiming height while you traverse a map etc. It's the difference between first shot, adequate reflex or death.

Team Arena has it's name for a reason. Jump on your mic and put it out there, you'll find someone to play and improve with. Some players you just naturally click styles with. Also jump into Forge and look at spawn layouts etc, you'll want to know which maps put you where and what sight lines give you access to enemy spawns etc. This also helps with where you need to be checking when spawning or getting our of spawn trap/map control nightmare etc.

I know some don't care for it but get used to being aware of your radar and when to rely on it and when not to. It's an advantage in many ways but beware of the pitfalls of incorrect radar use too.

Finally you need to get better at predicting many elements of the game to do well e.g. predict enemy buddy tactics or map position holds or predict power weapon spawn timers or throw a few grenades out there when you're more comfortable with spawns and map routes etc. Awareness ties into prediction and vice versa.

Just some spew out tips, I'm old with decent enough reflexes these days but I think the biggest thing about getting better is your mental attitude. Don't get angry or frustrated, take joy when an enemy or team outplay you, take your respawn time to think where, what, who, how and then get to work.

Really basic tips are:
1. Move with cover, always, unless you're very confident with your map movements and timings using awareness.

2. Know where and when power weapons or power ups are, fight for them every time.

3. Don't rush, 4v4 is slower than BTB or WZ.

4. Audio, get some surround sound or even better earbuds/headphones. It's a world of difference being able to hear sprint breathing or directional distant fire with gun specific effects etc. Get used to these indicators.

5. When you get frustrated or are losing you'll abandon these techniques, don't just rush a 1v1 when this happens. Slow down and reset.

6. Play with teammates from your local area, it helps the dedicated server selection and that's a world of difference in Arena competitiveness. You'll move smoother, grenade faster and generally have more of a drop in every aspect of the game.

7. Use the callouts in the lower left hand side every time you die, learn a few basic ones at least and listen to the AI chatter. It's useful when playing solo.

8. Fight vs flight, you have to get this down to an instinctive reflex based on awareness and prediction. It's a huge part of getting better.

9. Learn to read shield visual feedback instinctively,

10. Rarely chase, if you full or near full shields and you're confident it's not a bait and switch then finish the enemy, otherwise call it out and back away.

11. Learn how to kill when you're down on shields e.g. work your radar for the chasing power play enemy so they think you're fleeing then spin and hit a frag off a surface for where you know that chasing enemy is going to be and start firing while moving backwards or strafing. This is the danger of chasing. A plasma doesn't really make a sound like a frag and you can hide it on your side of the corner for example. Surprise. Alternatively lead your attack into an ambush, communicate for a clean up etc.

12. Aim with your strafe, not your right thumbstick. You'll instantly improve your shots hitting. Only as a last resort use your right thumbstick to aim, it's the far lower percentage attack. Some players are total gods either way but it's a key part of 1v1 pistol/br/ar battles.

13. Play on a wired not a wireless connection.

14. If you want to get anal go low response time on your monitor/display (2-5ms). Also check your TV settings for game mode or turn off post processing effects.

15. Plug your wireless controller in via USB to your console.

BizzyBum

I just bought the BenQ RL2455HM cause playing on my 60" TV sucks for competitive games. I'll still play my single player games on this but stuff like Halo and Street Fighter will be played on the BenQ.

I just bought the BenQ RL2455HM cause playing on my 60" TV sucks for competitive games. I'll still play my single player games on this but stuff like Halo and Street Fighter will be played on the BenQ.

I also play on a BenQ, it's just too good not to. There's a considerable amount of input lag it reduces compared to a TV. I can't go back to using a TV for gaming after playing on monitors.

Congratulations that is a great monitor I also have the same model, here are my settings use them and you will be ready to rock!

First change you console RGB settings to PC MONITOR

The following settings are based off of the RTS#1 mode. You must select and use RTS#1 as a starting point.*

Brightness: 70
Contrast: 50
Sharpness: 1
Black eQualizer: 0
Color Temperature: Red 97 Green 98 Blue 97
Reset Color: No
AMA: High
Instant Mode: On
Senseye Demo: Off
Dynamic Contrast: 0
Overscan: Off
Display Mode: Full

RGB PC Range :: 0-255

Enjoy ;)

BizzyBum

Congratulations that is a great monitor I also have the same model, here are my settings use them and you will be ready to rock!

The following settings are based off of the RTS#1 mode. You must select and use RTS#1 as a starting point.*

Enjoy ;)

Is this like some sort of secret pro configuration?

Is this like some sort of secret pro configuration?

Yes one of my jobs is at Vida Gamer Mexico a eSports tournament central as a Caster and we use the same monitors for all the tournaments and this is the settings that we use if you don't use RTS#1 you will not get the 1ms response time
also I have this monitor since 2014 and trust me it's great

BizzyBum

Yes one of my jobs is at Vida Gamer Mexico a eSports tournament central as a Caster and we use the same monitors for all the tournaments and this is the settings that we use if you don't use RTS#1 you will not get the 1ms response time
also I have this monitor since 2014 and trust me it's great

Oh shit, thanks a lot man!

Enjoy ;)

Wow, that does look a lot better compared to what I was using before.

Just lost a game of Warzone assault where they used the fuel rod exploit posted on Reddit.

Thanks dude, could have just sent it to 343 but why not post to Reddit.

Enjoy ;)

I also have this monitor and put it to these settings now. Damn it looks nice. Thanks!!

I don't understand why people bother to devote any time to making breakout maps in forge. The game type doesn't last more than a few minutes at best and is usually over in less than 60 seconds. If I were a map maker I'd want my map to shine and get some limelight. Breakout gives no such honor.

hwalker84

If you play team arena and want to get better, here are some things you can do...

Positioning:
~Always be mindful where you place yourself. Will it help your team? Can you get away if things turn to shit? You need to constantly put yourself in a spot that will be effective for your team. You also need to take into consideration that if shit hits the fan, that spot should make it harder for the other team to kill you. It should allow you to survive for as long as possible while also being able to remain combat effective for your team.

Gun Game:
~Let's be real here, gun skill helps. You just have to find a way to get better for those individual fights that will occur in arena. If you can't win your 1v1s, then do not expect to get far in arena because there will be battles that you will have to win on your own to make those "plays".

Theater:
~Yo this exist now and it is not only there for you to go back and watch your montage moments. It is there for you to study as well. Learn positioning yo! Learn why you lost that battle you did. Ask yourself what can you do better.

Purpose
~When you play arena, you need to have purpose on the battlefield. From spawn you should have an idea of what you are going to accomplish. Don't venture to any part of the map without purpose cause you will just be confused and look stupid. Take into consideration what spawns on the map. EVERYTHING is viable. Boltshot? Fantastic gun. Hydra? Has a higher skill ceiling, but if used right, you suppress people. EVERYTHING has a purpose and works.

Engaging
~Shoot anything that is not on your team. If you see an enemy, put some shots on that mofo. When you bleed there shields, they tend to be less inclined to fight. Get those damage numbers up! You need to keep in mind, if you break there shields, DO NOT CHASE unless you have a teammate near you and you KNOW for sure you can secure that kill without having to trade. Sometimes trading is inevitable, but keep that in mind. A lot of people tend to see someone with no shields and decide to chase, it is never wise to do such a thing.

When you break their shields, you already know they are going to call for that backup so if you cannot chase, then keep a mental note where that person was and that they will be out of the fight for a few seconds. If help comes, then you better be ready to back away cause they might challenge with that help.

Communication
~We all know this is a plus, but I laugh when people say just to call out. Calling out is not enough. You need to let your teammates know where you decide to go as well. If you are going X area, then say you are going X area. If you see an enemy X area, try to say where he is going from X area. As in. That guy is in X area going to X area. If you are going to push, then ask someone to come with you. Communication is only as effective as you make it be.

Times:
~Everything is on a clock. Keep in mind as to when it spawns.

Powerups:
~Overshield and Camo are HUGE. Getting those on the map are essential. Controlling those can influence you in controlling power weapons. Get those powerups and NEVER ignore them. If the enemy gets them, MAKE it your job for them to die. Killing them is pivotal.

This is only brief cause I wanted to be as short as possible. I will not be surprised if I did not cover everything.
Listen to this man.

These servers though. It's pretty close to unplayable tonight, not even going to play anymore because it's just frustrating now. Whatever changes they made to the servers, it just made the problem worse.

I can't explain it but the game has just felt like fucking garbage ever since the new season. Lag everywhere, unbalanced matchmaking, so much quitting. It's been so frustrating. The only thing I enjoy now is Warzone Assault.

Strider

Some really good points there for people struggling. I especially noticed the point about putting shots into anything that moves while watching X-Games, you might only land one shot but it makes all the difference.

Yea. I love the damage dealt stat that you can see in the post-game stats. A good measurement

BizzyBum

I'm not usually "that guy" who bitches about lag in MP games, but the H5 servers right now are shitting the bed. It's almost unplayable for me. 343i definitely did something wrong because they were never like this prior to this week. I think I might stop playing until they sort this crap out.

These servers though. It's pretty close to unplayable tonight, not even going to play anymore because it's just frustrating now. Whatever changes they made to the servers, it just made the problem worse.

LOL! I didn't even see this post when I made mine. My sentiments exactly.

link1201

Servers have been ok for me tonight which is a nice change of pace since they've been crap all week. Hopefully they are addressing the issue on their end and I just didn't get lucky tonight.

Madness

Today was really bad for me lag wise. A few matches I got scared because the screen would essentially freeze for a few seconds and I thought I'd get dropped. Here's hoping they look into whatever they changed.

Can someone recommend good aim settings for someone
me
who sucks at aiming?

I cant find anything that feels comfortable.

pls n thnx

Can someone recommend good aim settings for someone
me
who sucks at aiming?

I cant find anything that feels comfortable.

pls n thnx

I think the most notable change is adjusting your inner and outer deadzone to the lowest percentage possible without drift and slow turn. This will base on your controller.

0 inner is what i use and i get no drift when not touching the stick.

Outer is subjective to how far you personally want to move the stick before turning. The higher the percentage the less you have to pegg the stick.

Hope this helps as settings kind of change overtime from playstyle.

Maybe i have no idea what im talking about cause im not onyx :p

Chittagong

Gold Member
They have definitely changed the EU servers, for the better. I don't remember having this many games in one night with great connection since Bungie days.

Makes the game so much better to play. I don't mind at all the longer wait for proper matches.

Top Bottom