• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT4| You picked a helluva week to join up

Still 79 of you unranked this month

Ram... You know what to do

composer13.png

etta

my hard graphic balls
Guys, regarding Halo 3 in MCC, is the aiming supposed to be this weird? The diagonal aiming sensitivity increases significantly, and on top of that the vertical aiming has lower sensitivity than horizontal.
Also the subtitles don't work at all and the sound effects are quieter than the dialogue and music, though it's not that big of a downside, the soundtrack is amazeballs.

Sorry. I was referring to Karl2177

one of his older neogaf avatars. i think you'll get the joke now lol
aynjgsh.jpg
sorry karl

Oh lol

Guys, regarding Halo 3 in MCC, is the aiming supposed to be this weird? The diagonal aiming sensitivity increases significantly, and on top of that the vertical aiming has lower sensitivity than horizontal.
Also the subtitles don't work at all and the sound effects are quieter than the dialogue and music, though it's not that big of a downside, the soundtrack is amazeballs.

Yeah sadly Halo 3 is not a very good port on Halo MCC :/

Sai

But the Phaeton is red! RED!
:/

True, but they could add simple modifiers to them. Jun's could maybe shoot multiple shots at once (like Krith's Left Hand) or relatively silent + don't show up on motion tracker + no scope glint (maybe even add weak invisibility if its gonna be a mythic).

Emile's could give you a speed boost, stronger/faster melee, maybe an alt fire when scoped in to shoot like a slug or something.

Also, they look fantastic.

Look, maybe Jorge's chaingun is badass when it gets shown off next week. I'm just saying implementing these would make this update feel more substantial.
These are great ideas. Sniper and Shotgun offerings are already pretty stacked, but these would've made the update feel much more substantial without the Falcon and M319 Grenade Launcher. :(

Don't get me wrong, Jorge's Chaingun sounds awesome, but...

Still 79 of you unranked this month

Ram... You know what to do
Lemme alone. ._.

I'm still doin' my part in Warzone with the occasional BTB. Arena generally just feels too sweaty for me. Whenever I party up with folks for Slayer or something, I always feel like I'm holding the team back, and I probably am. :p

I wish I could consistently tear it up in Arena, but my reflexes just ain't there no more.

By that logic, aren't you just whining about the old meta returning?

Speedboost already has its benefits. Just because you choose to sell it, doesn't mean people didn't have fun using it. They'd essentially turned speedboosts into energy swords that don't take up a weapons slot. It was extremely OP and simply encouraged more sprinting in the middle of battle, when folks should be shooting.

If they wanted to have a decent meta around Spartan Charge, then they'd let players counter it with a well timed melee, rather than having to waste their thruster use.
Speed boost is req level 2, 3 for the long duration. That means to be useful, it has to compete with other reqs at those level. Tell me, after the upcoming change, will speed boost compete with the ONI Warthog? Speed boost will go back to instant sell, or only used when screwing around to stack 4 times.

Asymmetric gametypes aren't coming unless they make huge changes to the tag system. CTF has the flag stand and capture point as the same object. Currently there's no way to make it so that the enemy can't pick up your flag AND have a capture point for your team. Additionally you can't set it up so the enemy can't pick up the bomb. Maybe Halo 6... but I doubt it.
How does the flag work in breakout? That's a neutral flag, right?

Speed boost is req level 2, 3 for the long duration. That means to be useful, it has to compete with other reqs at those level. Tell me, after the upcoming change, will speed boost compete with the ONI Warthog? Speed boost will go back to instant sell, or only used when screwing around to stack 4 times.

Or how about a sword ghost (lvl 3 REQ)? We should stop letting splatters be an insta-kill because the ghost already has an effective gun and protects its driver.

And what does it matter if something takes a weapon slot or not? Open hand is lvl 3 and in many situations is much more effective than the current speed boost. Rain of Oblivion is lvl 3 as well. Standard Carbine is only a 2. Swords are only 3 and it arguably has more advantages than the speed boost because it isn't time based. You have to use that speed boost before it runs out.

Even more of a joke is that Damage Boost is level 5 minimum for what is really a minor upgrade in damage. Level 6 for the longest lasting version.

What can we call in instead for 6 req levels of energy? Sword of the Faithful, Retina of the Mind's Eye, Blood of Suban (only REQ 4), Prophets Bane, Light of Urs, ONI Gauss Turret, any hammer except the Gavel, Dying Star, Whispered Truth, Halo CE Pistol, White Scar, Void's Tear, Arclight, Ad Victoriam, Blaze of Glory, Snipers, Lasers, ONI chaingun turret, Sword Banshee, Gauss Hogs, Ghost Ultra (only lvl 4), All but the most powerful Scorpions, Wraith Ultra. OH YEAH, THE ANSWER!

Damage boost is a joke in this game. The entire point of the speed boost buff and why it was good was it finally made it competitive in some way to other things that have the same REQ energy cost. Without the buff, there's not any real reason to keep them again, especially if folks are still unlocking things and need all the RP they can get.

Wait so when does the Reach update drop? I'll pull myself away from Overwatch (though I don't wanna *grumble grumble*) to try out infection.

Man all those Noble Team armors are legendary status? welp so much for me ever getting them.

Trup1aya

Nonsense. It depends completely on the situation. One Warthog requires cooperation from a second person to be useful.

If you encounter a pair equiped with a Speedboost, a plasma pistol, and a set of BR's. Your ONI warthog might be outta luck.

Or how about a sword ghost (lvl 3 REQ)? We should stop letting splatters be an insta-kill because the ghost already has an effective gun and protects its driver.

And what does it matter if something takes a weapon slot or not? Open hand is lvl 3 and in many situations is much more effective than the current speed boost. Rain of Oblivion is lvl 3 as well. Standard Carbine is only a 2. Swords are only 3 and it arguably has more advantages than the speed boost because it isn't time based. You have to use that speed boost before it runs out.

Even more of a joke is that Damage Boost is level 5 minimum for what is really a minor upgrade in damage. Level 6 for the longest lasting version.

What can we call in instead for 6 req levels of energy? Sword of the Faithful, Retina of the Mind's Eye, Blood of Suban (only REQ 4), Prophets Bane, Light of Urs, ONI Gauss Turret, any hammer except the Gavel, Dying Star, Whispered Truth, Halo CE Pistol, White Scar, Void's Tear, Arclight, Ad Victoriam, Blaze of Glory, Snipers, Lasers, ONI chaingun turret, Sword Banshee, Gauss Hogs, Ghost Ultra (only lvl 4), All but the most powerful Scorpions, Wraith Ultra. OH YEAH, THE ANSWER!

Damage boost is a joke in this game. The entire point of the speed boost buff and why it was good was it finally made it competitive in some way to other things that have the same REQ energy cost. Without the buff, there's not any real reason to keep them again, especially if folks are still unlocking things and need all the RP they can get.

So the fact that the speed boost gave the user a 1HK w/o taking up a weapons slot was insignificant? Ok sure. Despite the fact. It makes people have a much higher potential to kill, than those who instead choose req a weapon.

Maybe there's an issue with the req cost of the speed boost in relation to similarly priced Reqs. I don't believe that to be true, because it increases how effective a player can be using just standard weapons. But even if there was a problem, you don't remedy that by making it a 1HK.

Like I said, the energy sword is also a 1HK, and provides a speed boost at a cost of 3 energy. but it's actually balanced because it uses up a weapons slot, unlike SC.

Sai

Kinda happy they're taking out those 1-hit kill Spartan Charges with Speed Boost. I know I've spoken against the difficulty of avoiding Spartan Charge, but I was getting caught with those 1-hit kill Spartan Charges quite a bit. >_<

Strider

one hit kill spartan charge with speed boost was just silly fun for WZ... I liked it there.

Frustrating as hell in arena though. Fathom - Assault is just awful.

jem0208

Wait, people are arguing for the instant kill Spartan charges?

That thing was awful, all it did was encourage mindless sprinting around for cheap kills.

Also I won't be ranked until the end of the month, exam period sucks.

Nonsense. It depends completely on the situation. One Warthog requires cooperation from a second person to be useful.

If you encounter a pair equiped with a Speedboost, a plasma pistol, and a set of BR's. Your ONI warthog might be outta luck.

So the fact that the speed boost gave the user a 1HK w/o taking up a weapons slot was insignificant? Ok sure. Despite the fact. It makes people have a much higher potential to kill, than those who instead choose req a weapon.

Maybe there's an issue with the req cost of the speed boost in relation to similarly priced Reqs. I don't believe that to be true, because it increases how effective a player can be using just standard weapons. But even if there was a problem, you don't remedy that by making it a 1HK.

Like I said, the energy sword is also a 1HK, and provides a speed boost at a cost of 3 energy. but it's actually balanced because it uses up a weapons slot, unlike SC.
Some one calls in a speed boost so it's totally unfair to you that they can kill without a weapon. Now you have to call in a shotgun/sword or literally anything in the list of available REQs at <=3 to combat someone else using their REQ points. Speed boost isn't a free killing spree. If even two people see you before you get to them, you're dead. The sprees and multi kills we're posting videos of only happen because there is no team communication. We catch all of those people off guard and can escape to recharge shields because their teammates are oblivious. Again, if something is going to cost me 2-3 REQ points, it better be competitive with the other options at that level.

Also, your anecdote is ridiculous. One person calls in an ONI hog (REQ 3) and you say they're screwed by a pair with speed boosts (REQ 4 minimum) with plasma pistols (REQ 6 minimum). Cool, spending 10 REQ points can take down a REQ 3 ONI hog! Fuck out of here with that shit.

Like I said, whether or not it takes up a weapon slot is not an argument against. Vehicles don't take up weapon slots either and often make you much more lethal.

Literally any team with half a brain or *any* communication or awareness isn't going to be seriously affected by people with speed boost. Like Zoso said, it's only truly effective against unaware people. Against decent teams / players, you're lucky to get 1 or 2 kills per speed boost req.

The core of the issue is valuation of REQ energy. Without spartan charge kills, speed boost, damage boost, and overshields are all far less effective than even the lowest weapon REQs.

Let's put it this way. If speed boost had the same effects as now, but you weren't allowed to have two weapons while it was active, would that somehow make it more balanced? Or, more likely, would people still bitch and moan because another part of the sandbox is effective instead of being relegated to some niche situational usage? This update is buffing a whole bunch of other REQs that have been shitty since launch, but the speed boost is *too* good? It makes zero sense.

I feel like some form of voting needs to return.

Player choice in Halo? Bwahaha never going to happen. This mindset from 343 is quite damaging in a number of areas. Can't vote for a map or a gametype or a region or party matching etc etc.

I feel it's a major roadblock to not retaining players or attracting new ones long term. Gamers want their preferences in game.

Player choice in Halo? Bwahaha never going to happen. This mindset from 343 is quite damaging in a number of areas. Can't vote for a map or a gametype or a region or party matching etc etc.

I feel it's a major roadblock to not retaining players or attracting new ones long term. Gamers want their preferences in game.

That's because they did the system wrong. For instance this would be a better way to vote:

Three maps are randomly selected from the map pool. Then it is decided by a weighted vote. So let's say:

Map A got 3 votes
Map B got 6 votes
Map C got 1 vote

That means map A has a 30% chance of being selected, map B has a 60% chance of being selected, and map C has a 10% chance of be selected.

This way all the maps have a chance of getting played, however the more popular maps are still slightly more favored. MCC was stupid because you literally just play the same maps over and over again because of the way the voting system was implemented.

blamite

I'm really surprised the matchmaking options are just "make everything tighter" or "make everything looser." I don't know how complicated this would be for the matchmaking backend, but I was definitely expecting to at lease be able to adjust those options for skill and connection individually.

On the flipside, I love that there's not a gametype voting/veto system. I've always hated not being able to play on maps I liked, or just didn't play a lot, just because there was a consensus among the larger population to not five them a chance in the first place.

edit: Forerunner's suggestion is much better than previous Halo voting systems (it's basicallyt he Mario Kart 8 solution, minus a random "none of the above option") but honestly I still prefer removing voting entirely.

Hard counters to speed boost spartan charge at 3 REQ points or less: shotgun/lawgiver, sword/ravening sliver, overshield.

Hard counters to speed boost after the update:
[list of entire REQ library]

Trup1aya

Some one calls in a speed boost so it's totally unfair to you that they can kill without a weapon. Now you have to call in a shotgun/sword or literally anything in the list of available REQs at <=3 to combat someone else using their REQ points. Speed boost isn't a free killing spree. If even two people see you before you get to them, you're dead. The sprees and multi kills we're posting videos of only happen because there is no team communication. We catch all of those people off guard and can escape to recharge shields because their teammates are oblivious. Again, if something is going to cost me 2-3 REQ points, it better be competitive with the other options at that level.

Also, your anecdote is ridiculous. One person calls in an ONI hog (REQ 3) and you say they're screwed by a pair with speed boosts (REQ 4 minimum) with plasma pistols (REQ 6 minimum). Cool, spending 10 REQ points can take down a REQ 3 ONI hog! Fuck out of here with that shit.

Wtf are you talking about? Are you totally forgetting that there are loadout weapons that don't require any req energy to equip.

To be perfectly honest, a rarely use Reqs at all. I sell 99% of them, and still typically finish at the top of the leaderboard. So the argument that you have to match someone req-for-req is at its heart, bullshit.

in my scenario, how is10 Enrrgy being spent to combat the ONI warthog? The speed boost is two, the plasma pistol is two. The BRs are free.

Your the one who brought up a Warthog V Speedboost scenario... Which is at its heart, a bullshit scenario in this discussion: here we are talking about how they made Speedboost OP against infantry. And your response is "what about Speedboost V warthog". The change had no effect on Speedboost v warthog scenarios.

The whole point of my scenario was that you never know what each of your 12 opponents have, and they might have a combination that beats your plans.

Man, I can't believe there's arguing over that Speed Boost being cheap, especially from Trup who has never used it.

Spartan Charge, even with Speed Boost, is such a nonissue compared to everything else in this game lol. That being said, I think it will still be useful even after they remove the one hit SC.

That's because they did the system wrong. For instance this would be a better way to vote:

Three maps are randomly selected from the map pool. Then it is decided by a weighted vote. So let's say:

Map A got 3 votes
Map B got 6 votes
Map C got 1 vote

That means map A has a 30% chance of being selected, map B has a 60% chance of being selected, and map C has a 10% chance of be selected.

This way all the maps have a chance of getting played, however the more popular maps are still slightly more favored. MCC was stupid because you literally just play the same maps over and over again because of the way the voting system was implemented.

I'd like to see this system implemented as another layer to my player toggles/minimums. Essentially you map all you preferences for on/off by gametypes and maps, the matchmaking systems pool players together based on this and then present your weighted vote options. It's a really smart system that would remain fast matching and enable player choice.

Trup1aya

Man, I can't believe there's arguing over that Speed Boost being cheap, especially from Trup who has never used it.

Spartan Charge, even with Speed Boost, is such a nonissue compared to everything else in this game lol.

I've never used it? Ok . You are really racking up shrugs from me these days.

That said, there ARE much bigger issues. But this forum should be a place to talk about all things Halo.

Bruv, you dodged ExWife's question when he asked if you've ever used it. You just continued to argue against it because maybe you love being the contrarian? I don't know, but you wouldn't be going this hard to argue against it if you actually used it lol.

And I'll shrug you all day bbe.
-Mario Kart 8 voting-
Yes pls.

EDIT:
I dodged his question? Or just didn't see it and got preoccupied with another poster.
You responded directly to ExWife's post where he asked that in the first line of the post, but didn't answer that question.
Are you suggesting that if I used Speedboost for 1HK Spartan charges, that I would fall in love with it, despite the fact that I already have issues with the way Spartan charge has been implemented?
Yes we get it, you take issue with things that are nonissues. And I'm suggesting that if you actually used the thing, you'd know that you have maybe a few kills potential before you're dead or the Speed Boost runs out. How is that poor design? It's not like you pick up one Speed Boost and you suddenly become a GOD lol.
I really love how you presume to know so much about me. Coupled with your uncanny to attribute arguments to me that I haven't made, you really make for an entertaining forum experience.
Sounds personal, and untrue. Just know that however you feel about me, I still luv u. And Karl. Maybe not Akai though, that dude is batshit.

Trup1aya

Bruv, you dodged ExWife's question when he asked if you've ever used it. You just continued to argue against it because maybe you love being the contrarian? I don't know, but you wouldn't be going this hard to argue against it if you actually used it lol.

And I'll shrug you all day bbe.

Yes pls.

I dodged his question? Or just didn't see it and got preoccupied with another poster.

Is it because I love being contrarian or I genuinely don't like the mechanic...

Are you suggesting that if I used Speedboost for 1HK Spartan charges, that I would fall in love with it, despite the fact that I already have issues with the way Spartan charge has been implemented?

I really love how you presume to know so much about me. Coupled with your uncanny to attribute arguments to me that I haven't made, you really make for an entertaining forum experience.

Wtf are you talking about? Are you totally forgetting that there are loadout weapons that don't require any req energy to equip.

To be perfectly honest, a rarely use Reqs at all. I sell 99% of them, and still typically finish at the top of the leaderboard. So the argument that you have to match someone req-for-req is at its heart, bullshit.

in my scenario, how is10 Enrrgy being spent to combat the ONI warthog? The speed boost is two, the plasma pistol is two. The BRs are free.

Your the one who brought up a Warthog V Speedboost scenario... Which is at its heart, a bullshit scenario in this discussion: here we are talking about how they made Speedboost OP against infantry. And your response is "what about Speedboost V warthog". The change had no effect on Speedboost v warthog scenarios.

The whole point of my scenario was that you never know what each of your 12 opponents have, and they might have a combination that beats your plans.

What is your obsession with weapon slots? No one gives a shit that speed boost doesn't take one of your two weapon slots. Yes, loadout weapons exist. Yes, they also beat the shit out of speed boost if the speed booster doesn't catch the user by surprise.

I brought up the ONI hog as an example of a powerful REQ at the same level as the long duration speed boost. You are the one that created the speed boost vs. hog scenario. In that scenario, you said a pair of speed boosters. Pair means two. 2 x 2 = 4 REQ points spent on speed boost. You said pair with plasma pistols. Plasma pistol is REQ level 3. 2 x 3 = 6. 4 + 6 = 10, therefore 10 REQ points have been spent in your scenario.

I don't care that you hardly ever call something in. The point we are making is that speed boost loses nearly all appeal and usefulness without the Spartan charge buff when compared to most all other options at the same REQ energy cost. If I use my points on a speed boost to get kills, the least the opposing players can do is use their points to counter me with the many available options at the same energy level. Or you know, two guys can look at me and shoot for a second with their BR's.

Spartan Charge, even with Speed Boost, is such a nonissue compared to everything else in this game lol. That being said, I think it will still be useful even after they remove the one hit SC.

Yeah this is pretty telling. Complaint about speed boost Spartan charge when he had clearly not experienced the fun himself means he must only had been killed by it.

It only works well against bad, uncoordinated teams so...

Trup1aya

What is your obsession with weapon slots? No one gives a shit that speed boost doesn't take one of your two weapon slots. Yes, loadout weapons exist. Yes, they also beat the shit out of speed boost if the speed booster doesn't catch the user by surprise.

I brought up the ONI hog as an example of a powerful REQ at the same level as the long duration speed boost. You are the one that created the speed boost vs. hog scenario. In that scenario, you said a pair of speed boosters. Pair means two. 2 x 2 = 4 REQ points spent on speed boost. You said pair with plasma pistols. Plasma pistol is REQ level 3. 2 x 3 = 6. 4 + 6 = 10, therefore 10 REQ points have been spent in your scenario.

I don't care that you hardly ever call something in. The point we are making is that speed boost loses nearly all appeal and usefulness without the Spartan charge buff when compared to most all other options at the same REQ energy cost. If I use my points on a speed boost to get kills, the least the opposing players can do is use their points to counter me with the many available options at the same energy level. Or you know, two guys can look at me and shoot for a second with their BR's.

Yeah this is pretty telling. Complaint about speed boost Spartan charge when he had clearly not experienced the fun himself means he must only had been killed by it.

It only works well against bad, uncoordinated teams so...

I just don't like what I perceive is a poorly balanced req item... effective or not. I don't think that really requires that I post my stats and usage history to voice my opinion. You can assume that I've been victimized by it, that's fine, excellent argument.

Sure YOU may have fun, sprinting around Spartan Charging bad, inexperienced players... But that type of thing isn't fun for me. Is that so hard to believe? I mean, some people think kill farming is fun... Different strokes...

I guess it's agree with Funk/Zoso/exwife approved opinions or you're bad at halo... Ok i got it *shrugs

Regarding weapon slots, I feel it's pertinent because making SC a 1HK is akin to giving players a third weapon. I feel that's silly, especially, when there is already a level 3 1HK melee weapon.

That's actually pretty smart of them. A lot of people want the Reach stuff, but probably wouldn't get it because they don't play enough and there are just too many reqs to get.

It doesn't matter for me because I have anything unlocked, but I can easily see people buying this.

Top Bottom