• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT4| You picked a helluva week to join up

Karl2177

I'm only talking about weapon hitmarkers and I don't see how knowing when your shots hit is too much information at all. You should know which shots hit and which missed, that's the whole point of shield flare. Hit markers are just more visible. Shooting is less frustrating and more satisfying when you know your shots are hitting.

I literally don't see a single negative with weapon hitmarkers.
I'll give a more serious response when I get back to my hotel room, but this is why you'll always be a C-tier poster.

jem0208

I'll give a more serious response when I get back to my hotel room, but this is why you'll always be a C-tier poster.

If your serious respond is reasonable then I might change my mind. At the moment though I really don't see how knowing if your shots are connecting is too much information.

no?
NO?
NOOOOOOO????

He posted several times on Microsoft threads today just saying on bad Halo 5 is.
I mean, if doesn't like the game he doesn't have to post on every thread about it.
I know, it's gaming side and maybe I exaggerated

ah so he's one of those kids. fuck em. You can dislike something, you don't have to go to every thread talking shit.

Tashi was booted and Zeus was added soon after.

Let that sink in.

giphy.gif

Karl2177

I'm only talking about weapon hitmarkers and I don't see how knowing when your shots hit is too much information at all. You should know which shots hit and which missed, that's the whole point of shield flare. Hit markers are just more visible. Shooting is less frustrating and more satisfying when you know your shots are hitting.

I literally don't see a single negative with weapon hitmarkers.

So here's the thing: a designer wants to give the player enough information that the player can complete their goal, but the designer wants to keep enough information from the player so that it isn't a cakewalk. I'll ignore PvE entirely, as I know the crux of this argument is in the PvP side. When it comes to one player shooting at another, the most important thing at a very basic level is whether or not they got a hit or a miss.

Now what tools can a designer utilize to let the player know that they have a hit or a miss? They could have a number pop up showing how much damage was dealt. With a health bar, this is huge. This lets the player know not only how much damage was dealt in raw numbers, but also essentially how much more they have to deal. Even without a health bar, it's giving players incredibly detailed information about what they've just done. I'm just going to toss this one aside right away. There's no challenge in learning, and when a shot misses, it doesn't feel as big of a deal, because another number will pop up on the next hit. (A good look at this is in Destiny. Engagements don't feel as big of a deal in part because of the feedback system.)

Let's abstract that concept just a bit and say there's a hit marker. This adds a bit of challenge to learning, as you are forced to learn how many hits will net a kill. Strangely enough, misses feel like a bigger deal than they did with numbers. The big problem lies in the moment to moment decision making that hit markers give. In a simple retreat encounter, Player A tries to disengage from Player B. Player B has counted 9 BR hit markers on Player A. In a situation with hit markers Player B knows that from just those 9 hit markers, that it's more than likely a good idea to immediately follow up on the attack. What has Player B learned from that encounter aside from counting hit markers?

Let's take a look at no UI elements signalling hits, and just at in-game visual and audio effects, while also using the Player A/B scenario from before. In this scenario, Player B has to learn how much damage they've dealt in correspondence with how intense the effect is on their screen. There's a higher level of learning and still misses feel like a big deal. Moment to moment decision making is based more on previous learning than on counting a UI element.

Now when would having hit markers be more valuable than not? It's primarily in debugging what isn't working. The best example is in Halo 3. Inconsistent networking conditions could cause sniper shots to be blood shots. With hit markers, the game would respond by not showing a hit marker, because it didn't fully register. Without them, players tended to waste multiple shots. But take note that under normal conditions, this wouldn't be an issue. So now a big question to the designer should be "When do I allow players to see if things are in an abnormal condition?" With hit markers enabled, the answer is always. Like I said before, the problem is that it lessens the challenge in learning the game.

I think it'd be an interesting experiment to have players that have a high ping to the server give hit markers when they are hit, while other players don't. It isn't the best solution, but I think it could be interesting. If I were the designer in question, I would only use them as a post game tool in Theater. This allows players to go back in and see what went wrong on certain engagements. Ideally, using Focused settings would allow players to avoid abnormal networking conditions altogether(but we all know that isn't the case in reality). In all honesty, I don't see hit markers going anywhere; I think it's as ingrained in 343's Halo as Sprint. I would love for the game to go back to as good of a feedback system as Reach had.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Good matches between Renegades and NV. Like both those teams, but a nice win by NV

same, but still bummed for rng. i feel a shake up in their roster when team changes opens up.

catching up on the stream and SUPER excited for the swift 3-0 for allegiance over e6

My takeaway from the Kotaku stuff is that Microsoft really doesn't know how to project sales.

What do they expect after MCC, an underpowered console by comparison (less sales than Sony or 360 by the same timeframe), no splitscreen, regional issues, on going stability issues (REQ store) etc. Of course that affects H5 game sales. Anyone saying otherwise is full of it and you're right if their projections were off by that much.

Honestly I'm surprised they'd be pushing 5-6-7 million sales by now. The game quality deserves a solid fan base, which it has, but it's not going to be glory days given the track record. I'm curious what the slow burn final-ish numbers for H5 will be, it will continue to sell over a long period of time or bundles or games with gold etc.

Ehh, I don't think that's convincing. You make it seem like there's a monumental difference in how players experience and interpret the game. People aren't just counting the hitmarkers while being oblivious to the enemy's shield status; it's a combination. Hitmarkers on weapons are a nonissue in my opinion, and doesn't drastically change how we learn and interpret feedback, whether consciously or subconsciously.

Now if you want to discuss hitmarkers being a distraction to other feedback systems such as friendly and objective indicators, then there's probably more merit to that. Even if you're not the one shooting at someone, you have a good idea of how weak they are due to the shield design of Halo 5. Are hitmarkers needed in that case, one could argue? Maybe, maybe not. In Halo 3's case it could have helped because the netcode was terrible, but with Halo 5 it's arguable because the networking has improved since then.
Halo 3 ruined its self, worst multiplayer, slow movement speed, shield doors, equipment,,,

At least the campaign is among the best.
Don't mind Akai, he's one of the most elitist Halo fans around. He can't understand how anyone could have a negative opinion on Halo 3 multiplayer and weeps whenever people criticize or even joke about it.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
This just in - APG was a HUGE pickup for Optic.

GREEEENWALLLLLLLLLLLL takes a 3-1 series win against Liquid

night of the upsets! aside from any match with clg and most with eg, i love how close all the other teams are. any of them can beat any other on any given night.

But the books always had her this way, she didn't care for the social norms and even used her nudity as a deliberate tactic essentially. They didn't just sexualise her out of nowhere.

She's no more sexualised in 5 than she was in 3. If anything it could be argued that she was more sexualised in 3:
Even with the large boobs though I think H4's design is the best, she just has the best looking face, it actually looks normal.

And the original trilogy didn't? The hell?
Missed all of this earlier. Criticism meant specifically for Halo 4. Halo 1-3 all are much more vague about nudity. There is shape but she is also rather translucent. Halo 4 Cortana is nearly opaque and there is clear definition on her chest along with wide hips. Games went from showing you she is nude to hitting you over the head with the idea. It just seemed unnecessary and turned her into a a damsel in distress and object of desire whereas before she was a stronger character and there wasn't any sexual tension between her and MC.

The idea of nudity is not the problem rather the over exaggeration of it in Halo 4 does nothing but detract from the character with three games of backstory. Halo 5 Cortana is the complete opposite. Super modest.

IN Halo 5 Cortana is wearing like 3 layers of clothing! LOL How is that sexualizing it..

nice troll MR BR GUY KAPPA GUY

I have no idea what that means.

mo60

What do they expect after MCC, an underpowered console by comparison (less sales than Sony or 360 by the same timeframe), no splitscreen, regional issues, on going stability issues (REQ store) etc. Of course that affects H5 game sales. Anyone saying otherwise is full of it and you're right if their projections were off by that much.

Honestly I'm surprised they'd be pushing 5-6-7 million sales by now. The game quality deserves a solid fan base, which it has, but it's not going to be glory days given the track record. I'm curious what the slow burn final-ish numbers for H5 will be, it will continue to sell over a long period of time or bundles or games with gold etc.

It will sell most likely 6+ million when all is said and done.

The number frankie gave earlier was pretty much what I thought it sold around by now.

It will sell most likely 6+ million when all is said and done.

The number frankie gave earlier was pretty much what I thought it sold around by now.

That sounds about right. I'm thinking it's close to 6m (to customers) presently, and will probably finish just shy of 7m.

Though I do expect 343i to eventually make Multiplayer, or at least Warzone, free-2-play. That would be a good move for Halo 5. Will allow another spurt of REQ income, broaden the audience for the next game, and inject some life into the game's population.

That sounds about right. I'm thinking it's close to 6m (to customers) presently, and will probably finish just shy of 7m.

Though I do expect 343i to eventually make Multiplayer, or at least Warzone, free-2-play. That would be a good move for Halo 5. Will allow another spurt of REQ income, broaden the audience for the next game, and inject some life into the game's population.

They could toy with a few things like:

1. One WZ map F2P.
2. One Arena playlist F2P.
3. W10 Forge F2P.
4. Offer an upgrade from F2P for the full game @ $25 and throw in some bonus REQs.
5. Bundle with slim consoles and digital code for any future OG X1 sales.

Only they know the comparative F2P loss vs cash in on what's left of potential sales. I'd like to think at some point they'll decide to push Halo to the other 75% of X1s out there and more.

night of the upsets! aside from any match with clg and most with eg, i love how close all the other teams are. any of them can beat any other on any given night.
Yeah same. I didn't watch any of the other matches outside of Optic-Liquid, but it makes me happy to see that Optic can still put together a good win. APG was really impressive tonight.
Guys...

Guys...

You have no idea how much awesome our GAF party just pulled off in Turbo. I haven't the words...
Do you have any receipts?

Yeah same. I didn't watch any of the other matches outside of Optic-Liquid, but it makes me happy to see that Optic can still put together a good win. APG was really impressive tonight.

Do you have any receipts?

Did you guys win a match 1000-0?

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/MyExWlFE/video/18388474

We were down the entire match because the other team got most of the bosses, we clutch captured two bases at the same time (monument and north), then FAT called in a ghost ultra to destroy the core, while I ran back to monument to stop the recapture just in time and we end up winning.

"You can still destroy the enemy core" finally came true.

Top Bottom