• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT4| You picked a helluva week to join up

Karl2177

NpN3nNK.png

I'm just that good, boys.
I never held a Hydra Launcher.
It's comforting to know even the server doesn't know WTF is going on sometimes.

I'm gonna take an assumption and say it came on your Scorpion destroyed. It was actually destroyed by a Hydra on your team, but for some reason the game gives a couple frames between when it's health reaches zero and when it awards the kill. So the game saw that you damaged the vehicle last, and it awarded you with killing the Scorpion, but it saw that the Hydra was the actual weapon to drop the health down to zero. Since you didn't actually fire the Hydra, it knew 0/0 acts as 0% accuracy.

Defect

First Slayer match I get two retards on my team who quit leaving us to play against a full team.

Loooove this game.

BraXzy

NpN3nNK.png

Genuinely think that's close to my total weapon kills for the Hydra :'D

I never use it in Warzone and I rarely pick it up.

NpN3nNK.png

I think it's the spartan abilities / higher killtimes that promote it, but I swear Halo 5 is the most forgiving when it comes to latent "charity kills", like where you do .001% damage to an enemy, they inexplicably die in some other way (suicide / falling off map / traffic cones etc) and you get rewarded for it. It's amazing.

My favorite one so far is getting a grenade kill on a Sword Wraith... with a Plasma Pistol.

link1201

First Slayer match I get two retards on my team who quit leaving us to play against a full team.

Loooove this game.
I have been playing some ffa to mess around and get some commendations done. I wasn't paying attention a few matches and got banned and then I did it again banned even longer. It may not be super effective but it seems this game has a pretty severe quitting penalties. I don't recall ever getting banned so swiftly or for as long in past games.

I think it's the spartan abilities / higher killtimes that promote it, but I swear Halo 5 is the most forgiving when it comes to latent "charity kills", like where you do .001% damage to an enemy, they inexplicably die in some other way (suicide / falling off map / traffic cones etc) and you get rewarded for it. It's amazing.

My favorite one so far is getting a grenade kill on a Sword Wraith... with a Plasma Pistol.
I need to start saving my plasma pistol reqs. It's so good for dealing with vehicles.
but i can't! need more req points to buy silver packs

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I'm gonna take an assumption and say it came on your Scorpion destroyed. It was actually destroyed by a Hydra on your team, but for some reason the game gives a couple frames between when it's health reaches zero and when it awards the kill. So the game saw that you damaged the vehicle last, and it awarded you with killing the Scorpion, but it saw that the Hydra was the actual weapon to drop the health down to zero. Since you didn't actually fire the Hydra, it knew 0/0 acts as 0% accuracy.
You're probably right. The Scorpion got suck on a slope and I threw a grenade under it and fired at it with my gun, but as it went off there were a few explosions so it was probably someone around the corner with a Hydra.

Melee kill from the grave is my favorite. When you punch so hard you put your soul into your fist.

EYEL1NER

Hydra us godly, easily my favourite new weapon since the GL. Not as good as the GL, ofc...
I like using the Hydra for anti-personnel but it seems like I can't score a kill against any vehicles with it. Bums me out because I have burned a shitton of a Hydra REQs when I know there are vehicles dominating my team but I can't destroy anything, especially Banshees. I know Spartan Lasers are the defacto choice for taking out Banshees but I have only ever pulled one Spartan Laser REQ, so Hydras it is.

BraXzy

Hydra us godly, easily my favourite new weapon since the GL. Not as good as the GL, ofc...

I tell a lie, it's not the Hydra I'm thinking of, it's the SAW. Since it hasn't been on an Arena map. I unlocked "The Answer" super early on too, always felt the need to save them though :3

I don't know what your setup is like, but I spent a while searching for a good USB headset that wouldn't hurt to wear (my 3.5mm jack on my PC is messed up and I stream via Windows 10's xbox app). Ultimately ended up settling with these Logitech headphones, which fit well, have good build quality and don't murder your ears, even after using them for 6+ hours
I blame Forge

Cool thing about streaming is that you can use any audio inputs / outputs you would on your computer, too, albeit my frankenstein's monster of a setup right now means that actually joining parties and stuff is... somewhat complicated. Also, you get to hear ingame chat and party chat concurrently.

Bah, my setup is just using the 3.5mm jack in my elite controller on the big screen. Thanks for this info though, im gonna save it my cart just in-case.

How much do you want to spend?

Yeah Lunar White is the way to go if you're getting a standard controller. It has grips on the back. Grips are godly.

Around $50. Preferrably less. Thank you.

NpN3nNK.png

The best is when you die in BF4 and the game doesnt know what happened, so it says something like "you died". Doesnt say who killed you or anything.

mo60

For some odd reason the amount of kills I currently have in all warzone modes increased by like 2000.

Edit: Nevermind they changed how they count kills now in warzone on halowaypoint. Since I usually kill more bosses and marine A.I. then actual enemy spartans they included all the legendary bosses, bosses and marine A.I. I have killed in all warzone modes.

Strider

I think everyones kills and K/D increased bc in Warzone AI kills count now when before they were there own seperate thing.

All of my Warzone kills were consolidated into one value when the most recent update hit and my Warzone K/D jumped up ~ 0.3

I expect Warzone firefight to be its own seperate thing tho and kills in Firefight wont count toward K/d at all.

mo60

I think everyones kills and K/D increased bc in Warzone AI kills count now when before they were there own seperate thing.

All of my Warzone kills were consolidated into one value when the most recent update hit and my Warzone K/D jumped up ~ 0.3

My K/D went up by around 0.3 to. Overall K/D is closer to 1.0 now.

I don't know how to explain it, but everything felt perfect from a couple of games I played today. Like I wasn't playing no better or worst than usually. However, all my shots were connecting and everything felt smooth and perfect. It's just weird. Like I don't have problem with lag, but something felt very different from the games I played today. Maybe it's a placebo effect, but something definitely felt different for me today. It just felt too good.

Up to Diamond 5 now and I haven't even been trying really. Strange, I'll probably hit Onyx again no problem this season.

Mix

Late:

Yeah, that's sad. She was one of the first, a good face to have when starting the studio. The time when she was handling the updates seems so far away, though. I wouldn't be able to say what was her role exactly recently.

She was studio operations manager. Pretty much oversaw everything from toy lines to tournaments.

Not yet. Been talking to her a little over DMs. I'm sure that whatever it is, she'll announce it publicly when she's ready :)
Hopefully they can find someone good to fill her shoes.
You're indeed late, but it's sad news. She was awesome. Even helped my GF get me something signed from 343 folks for my birthday.

Mix tell her good luck from me in whatever she does :)
Yes to all of the above. Farewell BS Angel!

grunty_wave.gif

Glass

https://twitter.com/chespace/status/718444181148930049

Purchasing REQs no longer has a portion going towards the HCS , which kind of sucks since other communities applauded Halo for its crowdfunding, but the HCS req packs have the potential to be amazing if they include team skins and player stickers, instead of just more armour design with squiggles on.

And were getting the Pro League first so maybe crowd funding returns for the season 2 actual Championship.

BraXzy

https://twitter.com/chespace/status/718444181148930049

Purchasing REQs no longer has a portion going towards the HCS , which kind of sucks since other communities applauded Halo for its crowdfunding, but the HCS req packs have the potential to be amazing if they include team skins and player stickers, instead of just more armour design with squiggles on.

And were getting the Pro League first so maybe crowd funding returns for the season 2 actual Championship.

I really disliked the lack of transparency with the crowdfunding in the first place. Were they generous and rounded up? Did they put a cap on how much was added? Either way I'd prefer to know.

It makes sense to stop the crowdfunding for now when there's nothing concrete it's going towards. You never know, it might affect how much they decide to put into the pot for whatever is next.

TCKaos

Kinda frustrating when you solo two of the legendary bosses for your team and then you lose by 18 points, only to find out that one of your teammates went 1-20 and another went 4-20.

What the fuck are people like you doing all game?

Kinda frustrating when you solo two of the legendary bosses for your team and then you lose by 18 points, only to find out that one of your teammates went 1-20 and another went 4-20.

you just answered your own question

i didn't even know that KD was a consideration in warzone. and, being new to the game, I'm really lacking in decent weaponry so i'm a bit of a disadvantage compared to more seasoned warzoners.

so i could see myself being one of those folks

i didn't even know that KD was a consideration in warzone. and, being new to the game, I'm really lacking in decent weaponry so i'm a bit of a disadvantage compared to more seasoned warzoners.

so i could see myself being one of those folks

Yeah, each kill counts toward overall score in Warzone. K/D is completely arbitrary in WZ Assault, though (aside from keeping the other team from capturing bases, obviously).

With a good BR, you can stand your ground for like 90% of Warzone/Assault matches.

singhr1

"Halo is the Street Fighter of First Person Shooters"

Is a really great way to describe the core Halo gameplay. Anticipation of an opponent's attack, dodging it, and baiting them into vulnerable positions... with the caveat the player can react reverse the effect due to the higher TTK.

Obviously most fighting games work with the analogy but Street Fighter is the most recognizable.

link1201

my guess: details next week. League starts mid may.

And hopefully roster lock happens a decent bit before then. End of the month hopefully...
I'm a bit confused how this will work. What other games have leagues like this?

How many teams will there be I wonder?

BraXzy

First thing I can think of is Dota 2, it has the massive International once a year in August, but they've now started doing smaller tournaments spread throughout the year so the competitive scene is more stable on top of the usual third party tournaments that take place. And it ensures pro's have a more stable income.

I don't think it'd be the same as what they're planning for H5. They mentioned weekly games for this league, be interesting to hear more about it.

Edit: I got post 343. I demand the new 343 skins pls Frank.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
It gave me a DMR but it is a special kind so it's level 7 and I'll probably usually only get to play with it a little bit before a Warden finish. Nonetheless, the Longshot AR it gave me offers nice cover fire ability to get out to places and I also just got sniper certification so those should pop up more often. All these together should make waiting for Longshot BR easier.

Anyways, I just played on Darkstar and pretty much stayed in the Fortress since it was often being left alone, and so I often ended up defending it alone vs multiple people, so I often ended up dying. I don't mind that, but even when it was only one guy and we killed each other so there was no one attacking Fortress, the game kept on suggesting West Armory for a spawn. It did this every single spawn, and there were like 20 of them in my whole game trying to defend the Fortress mostly alone, it tried to put me in West Armory instead of Fortress. Why the fuck would I want to go to the perfectly safe armory rather than defend Fortress? They almost got it near the end, too, when it spawned me way outside of it. If they had it would have blocked off our only other direction of cover to get access to where Warden was and our only direction of fire to shoot them as they tried to get in to him, so we would have lost. This game and its stupid fucking spawns, man.

Strider

I think CoD has a league like that... I believe it works similar to Soccer/football in that the teams are in tiers. You have an A tier with the best teams, B-tier division and so on.. At the end of each season you have a lan event.

Then after the lan the worst teams in the A-tier get demoted to the B-tier and the best teams in the B-tier get promoted to the A-tier so new, upcoming teams get a shot at the best teams. If it works like this pro league will have multiple seasons.

First thing I can think of is Dota 2, it has the massive International once a year in August, but they've now started doing smaller tournaments spread throughout the year so the competitive scene is more stable on top of the usual third party tournaments that take place. And it ensures pro's have a more stable income.
\

Dota is a prime example of how not to implement a major system. Dota 2 has more instability right now than ever before... The constant roster changes are unbelievable and 3rd party tournaments are struggling more than before since top teams stick to only huge events now. Of course some simple fixes could fix that tho

Cranster

Banned
NpN3nNK.png

I joined a game of Warzone that was in progress and after getting one kill I somehow got a Killing Frenzy medal for it.

BraXzy

BraXzy gonna start a team and go pro?

I wouldn't watch

I wouldn't start a pro team till you agreed to be coach obviously.

Dota is a prime example of how not to implement a major system. Dota 2 has more instability right now than ever before... The constant roster changes are unbelievable. Of course some simple fixes could fix that tho

Oh really? I haven't really followed the scene much, I just knew they started these. Why has it caused more roster changes?

I did hear that the Shanghai major was a disaster from a production stand point :3

Top Bottom