• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT4| You picked a helluva week to join up

Cool CLIP. Felt like that scene in Congo where they shoot the bad gorillas with the laser:

jlPi859.gif

Woah, this is pretty cool. Posted on Reddit. There was a talk at GDC on Spartan Abilities for Halo 5: http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1023190/Making-Moves-Designing-Spartan-Abilities

Some of which during early development included a double jump. Gonna watch that later :O
One of the Power-ups I had in mind for Halo 5, along with Hologram and Promethean Vision.

I'm not sure if the double jump would work well as a Spartan Ability though.

A power up version would be interesting, watching the talk atm and this section just came up. He said it was cut for a number of reasons...

c02de3aa1b4032e9b9984f48cb2d1a1d.png
Double jumps would take away the skill of bum jumping. Not that I would be that upset because it's really hard for me to bum jump using bumper jumper control scheme and no paddles.

Tawpgun

RE double jump. You know what would be a cool powerup for Halo?

Something that makes your thrust power go up. Like a secondary pack with a certain amount of fuel or something. You would sprint faster, spartan charge would go longer and be on hit kill. groundpound has a higher kill radius and is faster, double jump. complete stabilization, bigger and more thrusts in a row.

Double jumps would take away the skill of bum jumping. Not that I would be that upset because it's really hard for me to bum jump using bumper jumper control scheme and no paddles.
Is that crouch jumping? Never heard it called bum jumping. And I'm confused on why that's hard with bumper jumper, since I've been doing it with new problem for 7-8 years.

I'm sorry to hear about your isp issues. :( i'll give my students a holiday in honor of your troubles.

Wish my teachers would do the same. Or play halo.

Though when they finally fix it Sunday nobody will be able to stop me in a halo training session of getting good. Won't stop till I'm onyx in one of the playlist. But not free for all because I'm not trying to lose my mind.

Something that makes your thrust power go up. Like a secondary pack with a certain amount of fuel or something. You would sprint faster, spartan charge would go longer and be on hit kill. groundpound has a higher kill radius and is faster, double jump. complete stabilization, bigger and more thrusts in a row.

Sounds like a Warzone armor mod, lol.

Pretty much what backflip said. Each kill nets you 1 point, boss kills get 25 points and legendary bosses get 150 points. Base captures don't get you any points but do grant vantage points that you're going to want and capturing all three bases will open up the enemy core to attack.

Also, a tidbit since you said you're new, here's the grand strategy for Warzone:

It's ideal to capture the middle structure in any Warzone map, even over the initial armory run. On ARC capturing the center Garage gives you access to every legendary boss and both Soldier Commanders and two Knights that spawn there later (550 points worth of bosses). Capturing the Spire on Apex gives you premier access to all three legendary bosses, the Hunter Elders, the Knight Luminary and the Banshee Raiders (575 points worth of bosses). Capturing the Fortress on Stormbreak gets you access to Commander Lochagos, Captain Wamik and the Wraith Commander (325 points worth of bosses) and capturing the Monument on Noctus will get you all three legendary bosses, both Hydra Soldiers, four Hunters and two Phaetons (650 points worth of bosses).

Furthermore, on many of the maps you can completely and utterly restrict movement and out slay the opponent with your superior vantage point. On Stormbreak if you control the Fortress and one armory you have unrestricted access to every part of the map and can completely prevent the enemy team from moving. The Monument is an important enough vantage point that the enemy team will be rushing all game to capture it, and a successful repelling of boarders will still net you points.

No one can argue that they help, though that's mostly due to the size of the maps themselves. It's not difficult to manufacture situations in close quarters where you have the upper hand. Longshot AR is still pretty bad, though. The accuracy of the rifle isn't increased, just the magnification on the zoom, so you're still spraying at a dude that's like 50 meters out. The DMR is ideal for most infantry engagements and the H2BR comes in a close second.

It's important to note that that's if all else is equal. If you're not good with the BR you're not going to be better with the DMR. The BR is sufficient for pretty much every possible engagement in Warzone, I just prefer the extra range afforded by the DMR.

this was rather informative. Thanks!!!

TCKaos

I do believe you're wrong sir.

How many games have you played with us thinking this is the case? Lol

I was totally unaware that holding bases generated points. I swear to god I thought we were getting them to have locational advantages.

Regardless, the rest of my post still stands.

I'm confused, are you trying to explain this to me? Because I already know that the longshot AR is pointless and the longshot BR and DMRs are not needed to be effective in warzone. I was telling Dice he should play with us sometime to see that winning in warzone doesn't require special loadout weapons.

No no no, I was agreeing with you and mostly responding to Dice, I just formatted it poorly. My bad.

I was totally unaware that holding bases generated points. I swear to god I thought we were getting them to have locational advantages.

Yeah, just holding all the bases by itself will make the score skyrocket bruh. Always best to have two or more.

BraXzy

Sounds like a Warzone armor mod, lol.

Yeah I swear there's an armour mod in Warzone that does one of those things.

How much time have you played Warzone for? xD

Tbf it isn't immediately obvious.

JackHerer

Daily reminder that 343 doesn't give a crap about solo players level of enjoyment in matchmaking. I got matched against a team with three champions in team arena THREE TIMES IN A ROW... on my placement matches... Finally just quit out on the 3rd time and shut off my xbox.

It's gotten steadily worse since launch. Low population and prioritizing speed over even matches and this is what you get.

Is that crouch jumping? Never heard it called bum jumping. And I'm confused on why that's hard with bumper jumper, since I've been doing it with new problem for 7-8 years.
It's not quite the same as crouch jumping. When you sprint, you can reach higher locations by thrusting into a slide, jumping and quickly stabilizing your jump afterward by scoping your weapon. Essentially, it causes you to float upwards and higher than a normal jump, so that you can clamber up higher ledges. Unfortunately, I can't take my right thumb off of the analog stick to thrust, and then press the right analog stick in to scope in-time after jumping. I know it's possible and people do it. I just struggle with it, personally
stupid coordination issues lol
. Really wish i had a controller with paddles. Would make it 100x easier if I didn't have to use my thumb to thrust.

If I'm doing it wrong, someone please tell me because it's something I'd love to get better at.

Wish my teachers would do the same. Or play halo.

Though when they finally fix it Sunday nobody will be able to stop me in a halo training session of getting good. Won't stop till I'm onyx in one of the playlist. But not free for all because I'm not trying to lose my mind.

You can be a diclsciple of mine if youd like. Learn all the halo callouts, tricks and all that jazzy finger stuff for a low price of 14.99 an hour!

Youll be learning how to be G0SU in no time!

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Just had a game of strongholds go right in every way. Half feeling like a boss, half feeling lucky that I always had time to recharge my shields between engagements.

Triple one
Triple two

BraXzy

Daily reminder that 343 doesn't give a crap about solo players level of enjoyment in matchmaking. I got matched against a team with three champions in team arena THREE TIMES IN A ROW... on my placement matches... Finally just quit out on the 3rd time and shut off my xbox.

One of my placements in SWAT was against a 4 stack of Champs (Number 1 included). Didn't really seem all that fair as a solo queuer who eventually placed Onyx, but was getting teamed with Diamonds and sometimes even Plat's.

I'd take a few extra minutes of waiting over getting stomped.

Nowise10

It's gotten steadily worse since launch. Low population and prioritizing speed over even matches and this is what you get.

Nah what are you talking about

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I also thought sensitivity only goes up to 5 like acceleration, so after learning it goes to 10 I bumped it to 6 and that's a lot better. Able to respond to flanks and things I notice to the side more and do jumpy ninja turnarounds better.

BraXzy

Nah what are you talking about

Clearly you just need to step up yo' game soldier.

I don't get why in teams like that, why the two champs (who are probably teaming) don't get paired with more along the lines of two high plats or low diamonds to balance it out. I suppose sometimes it can't be helped if they're also teaming with the diamonds. Idk.

It's not quite the same as crouch jumping. When you sprint, you can reach higher locations by thrusting into a slide, jumping and quickly stabilizing your jump afterward by scoping your weapon. Essentially, it causes you to float upwards and higher than a normal jump, so that you can clamber up higher ledges. Unfortunately, I can't take my right thumb off of the analog stick to thrust, and then press the right analog stick in to scope in-time after jumping. I know it's possible and people do it. I just struggle with it, personally
stupid coordination issues lol
. Really wish i had a controller with paddles. Would make it 100x easier if I didn't have to use my thumb to thrust.

If I'm doing it wrong, someone please tell me because it's something I'd love to get better at.
I've never heard of that. I know about crouch jump + stabilize, but you're saying a thrust slide jump gets you higher? Can anyone else back this up? And that doesn't sound hard without paddles, but that's just me. After pushing x for thrust, you still push left stick to slide and left bumper to jump. Sounds like plenty of time to put your thumb back on the stick.

I've never heard of that. I know about crouch jump + stabilize, but you're saying a thrust slide jump gets you higher? Can anyone else back this up? And that doesn't sound hard without paddles, but that's just me. After pushing x for thrust, you still push left stick to slide and left bumper to jump. Sounds like plenty of time to put your thumb back on the stick.
heh i might be talking out of my butt lol, but the term "bum jumping" is definitely a thing. What you're saying sounds pretty much identical except that you include sprint, thrust, and then a crouch-slide before jumping and stabilizing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mddoMHHlMs

You can be a diclsciple of mine if youd like. Learn all the halo callouts, tricks and all that jazzy finger stuff for a low price of 14.99 an hour!

Youll be learning how to be G0SU in no time!

But I already know most of the callouts and stuff like that. Don't know if I would still be playing if I didn't. And idk G0SU grade skills for 15 dollars is pretty expensive. I could buy a coupl of gold req packs with those and god knows I need them.

Halo 5's Nornfang sniper rifle recreated with Lego is a precision-made wonder

dd0d50a308ad6947b3fc0f0c246f82fc-1200-80.jpg

fe0a9241c94cb01764a4ed3c0a0c9b0d-650-80.jpg

Halo has always had great designs for its sniper rifles, and apparently they look just as good in Lego brick form. Artisanal Lego maniac Nick Brick recreated Nornfang, Linda-058's weapon of choice in Halo 5: Guardians, using 9 pounds worth of bricks, and the end result is just bee-you-tee-ful.

More at the link below:

http://www.gamesradar.com/halo-5-nornfang-sniper-rifle-lego/

This is very impressive, Linda would be proud!

BraXzy

Halo 5's Nornfang sniper rifle recreated with Lego is a precision-made wonder

This is very impressive, Linda would be proud!

Hey Jorge, I'll buy the lego, you build it. Then ship it to me. Everybody wins.

I'm legit tempted to make that. How much would the lego pieces cost total I wonder.

When you open REQ packs, why don't they tell you how many of each card you have? Would be super useful in determining whether to keep or sell each.

BraXzy

Nice nice nice, discord has finally added an emote picker. Along with a bunch more emotes and apparently twitch sub emotes too. Get hype all three of you who use Discord :D

I really hope that by the end of H5G's lifespan we end up getting the option to select a few armor components beyond Helmet and Armor:

Helmet
Armor
Arms
Legs
Thrusters

That particular setup seems like it would be realistic to implement without having to be super concerned about armors clipping or conflicting, especially considering how lightly-armored some of them are to begin with. For example, here's a a setup using

Helmet: Aviator
Armor: Vector
Arms: Jumpmaster
Legs: Aviator
Thrusters: Jumpmaster

VFtXeX8.png

All of it blends together relatively seamlessly, with next to no editing on my part for "clipping" (outside of adding new shadows to the Jumpmaster thrusters). The original suits, for reference:

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
wow, so many people using speed boost and just spartan charging all over maps for easy kills. thankfully my halo IQ is high enough to avoid and even call in a req shotgun for some easy kills of my own

:)

(Warning, Mini rant)
Sooooo Warzone, I've played a lot of it since launch and still just can't get over how much I dislike the ability to destroy the enemy core in the main mode. I just feel like I'd enjoy the mode a hell of a lot more if it was like Conquest in Battlefield, like half the time my team just has all the bases taken from us and then it's just "Gotta run back and defend, oh wait the core is gone. Or oh now we get to do this for 10 mins cause we can't cap a base while they aren't able to blow up our core anyway."

If I want to defend my core I'll play Assault, I'd much rather just be able to run around the map without having to worry in the back of my head "well we can't actually mess around cause then the match is over in like 5 mins...."

It's annoying because I've always been hyped for a kind of mode like this in Halo, but alongside the REQ system (REALLY wish standard Vehicles were at least on the map) I just always never come out feeling that great about Warzone. Like Warzone is pointed out as a more causal mode than the Arena stuff but I never really feel like the mode is all that causal anyway. Wanna go mess around with your buds in a warthog? It blew up and all your bases are taken so have fun, also that was your last warthog card bruh (Yeah I know you get REQs decently fast if you play enough but it makes me NEVER want to use any of them.)

Don't get me started on someone cross map sniping with a Pistol a boss you took 99% of the health off. (My only suggestion is to make it so those points aren't immediately put into your teams score, but you have to defend the points in that player for a small time while the enemy can steal it back, IDK, something like headhunter but just on a timer and not have to run back to the base. Give the player an over shield.... ok I'm done ranting)

Soooooooooo, anyone run Customs that often? I've yet to do any with people.

Edit - Forgot, Warzone Firefight actually seems like the mode I'll end up finally using my REQs in, seems less tense in the "I spawned with this awesome weapon oh god why am I dying already."

Top Bottom