• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Anniversary |OT| It All Comes Full Circle

FyreWulff

Also, it's amazing how much easier Legendary co-op becomes when you have both people knowing what they are doing. Halo 1 was the only Halo that I pretty much played only in co-op. And back then Heroic seemed like a struggle. Especially when your friend/brother playing with you is impatient.

The extra level achievements (no hog on Halo, keep snipe rounds >= 4 on T&R) serve to add another level of difficulty to Legendary, but they're also not impossible. Also, I forgot how damn LONG T&R is. And I'm not looking forward to completing that Silent Cartographer beachhead achievement.

We also found out the hard way that the game continues simulating while you're looking at a Terminal. We were looking at the one on
the command bridge on Truth & Reconciliation
, and about halfway through it, it suddenly stopped and we were back at our last checkpoint. Turns out that even though you're looking at it, the Covies still come through the door after the dialogue finishes.

Also, got a reminder after getting used to punching someone in 3/ODST/Reach co-op to remind them to do something not killing them, then playfully punching someone in CE:A co-op and murdering them :p

ElRenoRaven

Zeouterlimits said:
Played through on Normal? Did you not find it super-easy? Save for one encounter I've found Heroic surprisingly easy. The reviewer is right about how our skills have been honed and even just how the weapon sandbox i.e. effectiveness has changed over the past 10 years.

Oh yea. I always play through the first time on normal no matter the game. Then I go back and play on the harder ones.

squidhands said:
Great writeup, sir. All I had the chance to do last night was play a couple of rounds of Firefight (my god, the best Firefight map ever) and hop around on a couple of the maps. Probably won't get to the campaign until this weekend, but based on your comments I have lots to look forward to, as expected. Hopefully your cons won't stick out in my mind too much.

Thank you. Don't let my thoughts influence you. Everyone has their own expectations and their own little nitpicks that will bother them. For me those things stood out. For some they probably won't bother them. I know the pop in for one probably won't bother many. For me I hate it with a passion in any game that has it. That's one thing that bugs me about any Unreal Engine game because almost all of them have that issue. That also bugged me about Halo 2 when that happened in it's cutscenes. That's one reason I play that on vista anymore due to it being fixed on it. ANother thing I've found is that despite what some say framerate does vary per console. I've seen many times someone with a newer one say a game has no slowdowns while others on an older one clearly have some. For me my 360 is an old one. Also I didn't install it due to no room to install it. Installing it may improve some of the issues I had. So go into it with an open mind.

I don't know why you gentlemen would make a big deal out of her glasses. Glasses can be removed.

And I'm playing first on Heroic, and I've found it sufficiently difficult.

FyreWulff said:
Also, it's amazing how much easier Legendary co-op becomes when you have both people knowing what they are doing. Halo 1 was the only Halo that I pretty much played only in co-op. And back then Heroic seemed like a struggle. Especially when your friend/brother playing with you is impatient.

The extra level achievements (no hog on Halo, keep snipe rounds >= 4 on T&R) serve to add another level of difficulty to Legendary, but they're also not impossible. Also, I forgot how damn LONG T&R is. And I'm not looking forward to completing that Silent Cartographer beachhead achievement.

We also found out the hard way that the game continues simulating while you're looking at a Terminal. We were looking at the one on
the command bridge on Truth & Reconciliation
, and about halfway through it, it suddenly stopped and we were back at our last checkpoint. Turns out that even though you're looking at it, the Covies still come through the door after the dialogue finishes.

Also, got a reminder after getting used to punching someone in 3/ODST/Reach co-op to remind them to do something not killing them, then playfully punching someone in CE:A co-op and murdering them :p
The Beachhead achievement was surprisingly easy. Because it is just the two first fights. And if you and your co-op work together, you should get it on first try. :)

InvincibleAgent said:
I don't know why you gentlemen would make a big deal out of her glasses. Glasses can be removed.

And I'm playing first on Heroic, and I've found it sufficiently difficult.
Heroic for the first run is always what I do with halo games also, then either legendary co-op or solo depending who is on live at the time.

PsychoRaven said:
Thank you. Don't let my thoughts influence you. Everyone has their own expectations and their own little nitpicks that will bother them. For me those things stood out. For some they probably won't bother them. I know the pop in for one probably won't bother many. For me I hate it with a passion in any game that has it. That's one thing that bugs me about any Unreal Engine game because almost all of them have that issue. That also bugged me about Halo 2 when that happened in it's cutscenes. That's one reason I play that on vista anymore due to it being fixed on it. ANother thing I've found is that despite what some say framerate does vary per console. I've seen many times someone with a newer one say a game has no slowdowns while others on an older one clearly have some. For me my 360 is an old one. Also I didn't install it due to no room to install it. Installing it may improve some of the issues I had. So go into it with an open mind.
I was already put off a little by the new audio in the trailer once I put the game in last night. It sounded...off; the string section halts at the end of notes where Marty had it drawn out, if that makes any sense. Artistic license and all that, but it caught my attention and not in a good way. But an open mind I shall keep nonetheless.

Being a console gamer, I've come to accept texture pop-in (played a lot of Unreal Tournament) for the most part. I may install the game tonight and hope that the framerate is more stable. Here's hoping.

FyreWulff

JPBrowncoat said:
Got that last night without even trying. =P

Me and Rat did not, but then again I was also dead tired. I might have also accidentally grenaded a few marines before I checked the achievements.

Also, had a funny glitch when we got to the end of T&R, and it might have only happened on my box. We were about 30 feet away from the button to unhook the ship, and a marine goes "CUT IT OUT!" and the swelling music cuts out.

Music came back for 3 seconds after I pressed the button to end the level, but that was a really well timed selection of a line for a marine and the engine to suddenly drop the level music.

ElRenoRaven

squidhands said:
I was already put off a little by the new audio in the trailer once I put the game in last night. It sounded...off; the string section halts at the end of notes where Marty had it drawn out, if that makes any sense. Artistic license and all that, but it caught my attention and not in a good way. But an open mind I shall keep nonetheless.

Being a console gamer, I've come to accept texture pop-in (played a lot of Unreal Tournament) for the most part. I may install the game tonight and hope that the framerate is more stable. Here's hoping.

Yea. Just keep in mind for me it was only bad for the first 2 levels. After that it smoothed out. It would stutter a bit at loading spots but overall after those 2 it was good.

Just played the first mission on old graphics this time btw. I like that the cutscenes are the original when in classic. It also seems to run damn smooth in classic. I'll steal a term and say in classic it runs like "Buttah".

I really hope the skulls become more challenging to find :\.

So far the only 'difficult' skull to get has been
bandanna
and that literally took me two minutes to get. Every other skull has been so obviously places and you just simply walk up to it. Shishka did an interview saying he had hidden the skulls in a way that even if you knew where they were you would still have trouble finding them. So far unless my controller was without joysticks I do not see how you would have an issue getting these skulls. Just kind of upsetting since the skulls were something I was really looking forward to finding.

FWIW I am as far as T&R and pretty sure I've found every skull so far.

JB1981 said:
I don't even think they want sprint in the game lol. A Halo/Crysis/COD hybrid game will never happen.

I think a lot of Reach players have warmed up to having sprint. Although the decreased base speed in reach kind of makes have sprint a bit more necessary.

Im shocked by how much of a half assed effort the developers put into the remastered mode. Most of the tweaks are offset by the overwhelmingly shitty stuttering frame rate throughout the first two levels. I kind of feel like asking why did they even bother? Such a lousy phoned in effort isn't befitting of the 10 year halo anniversary. Not an impressive start from 343i.

ElRenoRaven

Devin Olsen said:

bandanna
and that literally took me two minutes to get. Every other skull has been so obviously places and you just simply walk up to it. Shishka did an interview saying he had hidden the skulls in a way that even if you knew where they were you would still have trouble finding them. So far unless my controller was without joysticks I do not see how you would have an issue getting these skulls. Just kind of upsetting since the skulls were something I was really looking forward to finding.

I doubt they will. The only 2 that remotely gave me trouble was one of the two on Silent Cartographer and one in Assault on the Control Room. Both of those required grenade jumping. The rest were easy breezy though. I was actually saddened because they said they'd get harder but they really didn't. Still it was fun looking for them. Same with the terminals. Only 1 of those was remotely hard to find but it was one of my first places to look on that level because I always go to that spot for the hidden rocket ammo.

Devin Olsen said:

bandanna

If you know where the skulls are, they're trivial to get. Sorry Shishka. Now, if I didn't know where some of these were, I'd never find them (I'm not much of a Halo explorer), but that's not what Shishka said. I'm through the Library and the hardest thing I've had to do is grenade jump on AotCR and rocket jump on Silent Cartographer. I was expecting Pelican rides or a requisite warthog jump, but nothing even remotely close to that is necessary.

monome said:
Why worried?
I think you missed the point of my post. A lot of what Saber did doesn't feel like the Forerunner architecture of Halo: Combat Evolved in more advanced graphics. Not a majority of it, but a large share, and because of that I'm slightly worried about the Forerunner architecture in Halo 4. I dunno the the precise relationship between 343 and Saber on this project, and whether 343 had veto power over the stylistic changes Saber did, but Anniversary implies a new direction in Forerunner architecture, like Monocle said. I don't like some of the changes like a lot of blue where there was darkness and a ominous sense (like the map room in TSC and the underside of the Halo ring).

ElRenoRaven

Dax01 said:
I think you missed the point of my post. A lot of what Saber did doesn't feel like Forerunner architecture to me. Not most of it, but a large share, and because of that I'm slightly worried about the Forerunner architecture in Halo 4. I dunno the the precise relationship between 343 and Saber on this project, and whether 343 had veto power over the stylistic changes Saber did, but Anniversary implies a new direction in Forerunner architecture, like Monocle said). Some of the choices scream "not Forerunner" to me like adding in a lot of blue where there was darkness and a ominous sense (like the map room in TSC and the underside of the Halo ring).

You know I didn't like it at first either but it's starting to grow on me. I do agree that at times it's a bit over the top but overall I'm liking it. Even that damn ring is growing on me.

Dax01 said:
I think you missed the point of my post. A lot of what Saber did doesn't feel like Forerunner architecture to me. Not most of it, but a large share, and because of that I'm slightly worried about the Forerunner architecture in Halo 4. I dunno the the precise relationship between 343 and Saber on this project, and whether 343 had veto power over the stylistic changes Saber did, but Anniversary implies a new direction in Forerunner architecture, like Monocle said). Some of the choices scream "not Forerunner" to me like adding in a lot of blue where there was darkness and a ominous sense (like the map room in TSC and the underside of the Halo ring).
Some areas look new, but the whole Forerunner stuff in the 2nd mission looks like the Forerunner stuff, we saw in Halo Wars:
bdYHw.jpg

PsychoRaven said:
I doubt they will. The only 2 that remotely gave me trouble was one of the two on Silent Cartographer and one in Assault on the Control Room. Both of those required grenade jumping. The rest were easy breezy though. I was actually saddened because they said they'd get harder but they really didn't. Still it was fun looking for them. Same with the terminals. Only 1 of those was remotely hard to find but it was one of my first places to look on that level because I always go to that spot for the hidden rocket ammo.
You had to do two grenade jumps for SC skulls? There are only two skulls on that level, correct? I don't understand why you would need to grenade jump for the second one.

What bothers me though is this interview.

"I would actually say they’re even more difficult [than Halo 3]"

"I didn’t want to go with that route. Instead, we made them so some of them are just so damned hard to reach, that even if you know where they are it’s going to take you a few tries to get to them."

"but having the video in front of you doesn’t mean it’s as easy as just going and grabbing it. It might take you 10 or 20 tries to actually reach where the skull is."

Fire every play tester that took more than one try to get every skull.

YOU LITERALLY WALK UP TO THEM. They are just sitting there, on the ground. If it takes you 10-20 tries to WALK UP to a skull please eject the game from your xbox and trade it in for Wii Music.

PsychoRaven said:
You know I didn't like it at first either but it's starting to grow on me. I do agree that at times it's a bit over the top but overall I'm liking it. Even that damn ring is growing on me.
There are still things I don't like about Sabre's choices, but it grew on me too. The art style reminds me of a higher res Halo 2 in many ways, specifically this screenshot because of the vibrant jackal shields and the more intricate Forerunner architecture.
ECCuD.jpg

There are some levels I'm not wild about (T & R), but when they got it right (AotCR, 343 GS), they did great things. I do agree with Dax that Sabre didn't seem to quite "get" the Forerunner visual identity that Bungie had previously established.

Cocopjojo said:
Well, I stand corrected. I just tried the elevator switch glitch and it was immediately obvious that it was different.

Like I said, I didn't work on this project directly, but in my spare time I really ran the game through the ringer with testing classic glitches, like all the stuff I listed above, plus more (exiting a Ghost to push you through walls, spinning a Warthog to slide down a cliff and trick the fall timer, driving up specific cliffs in the second level where the angle was just barely enough to allow you to slowly make it to the top of the level, etc.). This elevator switch bug is the first thing I've seen that's different.
Was it possible to do those elevator switch launches in the PC version? It seems like the PC campaign might have been the version Sabre used (I'm basing this largely on the Jackal shield shader in Classic mode, which no longer looks like the Xbox version).

ElRenoRaven

Devin Olsen said:
You had to do two grenade jumps for SC skulls? There are only two skulls on that level, correct? I don't understand why you would need to grenade jump for the second one.

What bothers me though is this interview.

"I would actually say they’re even more difficult [than Halo 3]"

"I didn’t want to go with that route. Instead, we made them so some of them are just so damned hard to reach, that even if you know where they are it’s going to take you a few tries to get to them."

"but having the video in front of you doesn’t mean it’s as easy as just going and grabbing it. It might take you 10 or 20 tries to actually reach where the skull is."

Fire every play tester that took more than one try to get every skull.

YOU LITERALLY WALK UP TO THEM. They are just sitting there, on the ground. If it takes you 10-20 tries to WALK UP to a skull please eject the game from your xbox and trade it in for Wii Music.

No the first was easy and you could walk up to. Going spoiler for those that don't want to know.

The first skull is on that area where the downed Pelican is. Just walk up the ramp around back and bam easy. The second is down in the shaft where you open the door. That one was harder because you have to jump up on that beam or ceiling thing heading out to it. So for that one you have to grenade jump or rocket jump to get on the beam. That's where I grenade jumped. I drove my warthog down there and got it out there on that ledge by it. Then I grenade jumped off the top of the warthog onto the beam ceiling thingy.

The other I had to grenade jump for was AOTCR.

Syracuse022 said:
Was it possible to do those elevator switch launches in the PC version? It seems like the PC campaign might have been the version Sabre used (I'm basing this largely on the Jackal shield shader in Classic mode, which no longer looks like the Xbox version).

Based off the credits and the way the menus are very jittery when selecting stuff my money says they did. At least a combination of the PC and Xbox code meshed together.

Mr. Sam

V3q8kl.jpg

I'm really enjoying my time with the game so far. I've never played Combat Evolved all the way through - I only fell in love with the Halo franchise once it had reached the 360. I am noticing performance issues like the stuttering and so on, but I just don't care once I'm filling an elite with hot needles.

Woorloog

Banned
Syracuse022 said:
Can't be based on PC version... The Banshees in The Maw fly with their canopies open, on PC version they're closed.

ElRenoRaven

Woorloog said:
Can't be based on PC version... The Banshees in The Maw fly with their canopies open, on PC version they're closed.

That's why I think it's a mesh of the code from the two. Some things really have that xbox feel while others have that pc feel to them. And that's one thing I forgot. Close the damn canopies on that level please. It looks like a banshee that is sitting on the ground flying through the air. I don't remember them being that bad on the original. I'll be sure to pay attention though next time I play the max on original graphics.

FyreWulff

Syracuse022 said:
There are still things I don't like about Sabre's choices, but it grew on me too. The art style reminds me of a higher res Halo 2 in many ways, specifically this screenshot because of the vibrant jackal shields and the more intricate Forerunner architecture.
ECCuD.jpg

There are some levels I'm not wild about (T & R), but when they got it right (AotCR, 343 GS), they did great things. I do agree with Dax that Sabre didn't seem to quite "get" the Forerunner visual identity that Bungie had previously established.

Another issue with the physics between versions is that CE's physics were (and still are?) heavily CPU bound. So as soon as the processing speed changes in any way, the physics can change in weird ways too.

For example, when playing the GonD/emulated disc of the original Halo 1, guns tend to get merged into walls and make a hilarious sound as they move around inside the wall, because the emulator will miss a tick here or there and the guns will fall through geometry.

Versus Halo 2 onwards where the physics are not bound to the CPU and (in theory) continue to simulate correctly even under differing conditions. The only glitch you can't do between Halo 2 and Halo 2 Vista is superbouncing, and that's because superbouncing was a bug in the Xbox version of Havok they were using, while Halo 2 Vista uses a later bugfixed version of Havok.

There was bound to be some things (especially if they were bugs) that didn't make the transition.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
My younger self would be so proud of me. I remember thinking Heroic was impossible. Now I'm doing achievements like Grenadier with no problem!

Woorloog

Banned
PsychoRaven said:
That's why I think it's a mesh of the code from the two. Some things really have that xbox feel while others have that pc feel to them.
I didn't use the classic mode really, are the Jackal shields teal (as in PC version) regardless of their rank? Majors should have yellow shields, minors blue.
I did notice that quite many Elites had Needlers, as far as i know Xbox version Elites rarely wielded them but on PC they're common.

FyreWulff said:
For example, when playing the GonD/emulated disc of the original Halo 1, guns tend to get merged into walls and make a hilarious sound as they move around inside the wall, because the emulator will miss a tick here or there and the guns will fall through geometry.
This happens on CEA.

ElRenoRaven

ArachosiA 78 said:
Does this game have theater mode?

No sadly it does not. I miss that along with vehicle boarding, weapon swaping and assassinations.

Woorloog said:
I didn't use the classic mode really, are the Jackal shields teal (as in PC version) regardless of their rank? Majors should have yellow shields, minors blue.
I did notice that quite many Elites had Needlers, as far as i know Xbox version Elites rarely wielded them but on PC they're common.

This happens on CEA.

In the PC version the shields did not vary in color and judging by whoever posted above I think that's the case in this one.

goldenpp72

I'm having a good time with this remake and the anniversary reach maps, it does have some questionable art choices and I kinda would prefer it to be better optimized, maybe having the visual designs switchable was a bad idea? Anyways, I class this somewhere between a great remake and an HD port, pretty good but not perfect. Worth the 40 bucks (with 10 credit on amazon :p)

Some tricky achievements as well, will take awhile to get them all.

FyreWulff

Woorloog said:

This happens on CEA.

Interesting. Haven't seen it happen yet on my end - it was really bad inside the ship on T&R on emulated Halo CE.

Woorloog

Banned
FyreWulff said:
Interesting. Haven't seen it happen yet on my end - it was really bad inside the ship on T&R on emulated Halo CE.
A weapon got stuck in the walls or objects a few times and vanished a moment later, especially on T&R and Keyes.

ElRenoRaven

Devin Olsen said:
And regular CE on disk.

Yup. It's not common but it does happen. Even have had it happen on the PC version. So it doesn't bother me at all.

Also Managed to move enough crap to thumb drive that I can install Anniversary now. Plan to play through again to see if having it installed improves any of the stuff I have complained about.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Jackal shields change colour when hit, and have rank colours. One thing I keep forgetting to look for is the new model for turtle beak jackals.

Ken

jhferry said:
Still can't get analyse or scan to work. Reload and classic work fine but nothing happens when I say the other 2.

I had to go through the Kinect audio tuner before getting analyze and scan to work, but even then it works half the time. I have to slowly say analyze before it triggers.

Hypertrooper said:
Some areas look new, but the whole Forerunner stuff in the 2nd mission looks like the Forerunner stuff, we saw in Halo Wars:
http://i.imgur.com/bdYHw.jpg[/IG][/QUOTE]
That doesn't mean it's okay. I'm having problem with the sort of stylistic take on Forerunner architecture because it's a remake of the first game, not a brand new game. A lot of the changes I don't like seem like "just because" changes. For example:

Replacing this in TSC with whatever is there now is what I'm talking about.
[img]http://www.ascendantjustice.com/files/cocop/The%20Covenant/The%20Covenant%20Small/HologramGlyphs.jpg

ElRenoRaven

So running the first level again after having installed and in new graphics. Pop in is still there but it is slightly improved. Also the framerate is a lot better too.

Ok and finished it. Overall this is a huge improvement. Pop in is still there but it's a lot less noticable and the framerate without a doubt has improved a lot. It's a lot smoother feeling. I feel better about playing in new graphics now.

AlStrong

Dax01 said:
That doesn't mean it's okay. I'm having problem with the sort of stylistic take on Forerunner architecture because it's a remake of the first game, not a brand new game. A lot of the changes I don't like seem like "just because" changes. For example:

Replacing this in TSC with whatever is there now is what I'm talking about.
HologramGlyphs.jpg

Yeah, what's there now just doesn't mean anything - no, "hey it looks like Guilty Spark, wonder what that's about" moment. Why remove the symbology?

ElRenoRaven

Framerate's even a hell of a lot smoother on the second level too now. Who would think that installing it would make this kind of difference.

Okay, let me try to clarify what I was saying before, because reading over my posts I'm confusing myself.

For a large part of the architecture, not a majority but certainly a sizable portion, I get the feeling that this isn't what Halo: Combat Evolved should look like with updated graphics. A lot of this change in architecture I don't like seem like "just because" changes (example of which is on the previous page). Yes, we've seen this kind of stylistic take on Forerunner architecture before, like in Halo Wars, but in that case it wasn't a remake.

In some cases, like the outside of the Halo ring, I'm left confused: What does a Halo ring look like? Does they look like the rings in Anniversary or in Halo 2 or 3? What is 343 going to use as a baseline for Forerunner stuff in Halo 4? Anniversary or the games by Bungie? Or will it be all of them?

Despite all of this, there are some things Saber has done well. As I said, fore a large part of the campaign, I think Saber has faithfully brought it up to date, and Saber was really, really good at bringing the natural environments into this generation. The rolling grasslands of Halo and the snowy chasms of Assault on the Control Room are drop-dead gorgeous.

PsychoRaven said:
Framerate's even a hell of a lot smoother on the second level too now. Who would think that installing it would make this kind of difference.
woohoo, good to know. I'll definitely be installing this when I get home.

When I first landed on the Halo, I really felt like crying. I welled up inside. This game has so much meaning to me its hard to describe. Even now as I type this I am getting emotional.

Liquidsnake said:
When I first landed on the Halo, I really felt like crying. I welled up inside. This game has so much meaning to me its hard to describe. Even now as I type this I am getting emotional.

For real?

Top Bottom