• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Anniversary |OT| It All Comes Full Circle

1z2179y.jpg

Yes I am!

This pic was taken many years ago after I got it so the color is bleeding. It has calmed much more now.

Played co-op on legendary over 'Live last night and ran into a wierd bug or lag.

When I hosted the co-op session, my buddy in Michigan experienced lag with the camera when he'd look around. The camera would move slowly then quickly accelerate in the direction he was looking.

But after we finished the first level, he was disconnected and didn't receive any of the achievements that I had received. So we played the first level over again with him as the host and I experienced the same bug/lag that he had before and I'm playing in Cali.

Has anyone else had wierd issues over live ci-op? Is the bad netcode or bad connections?Maybe the distance between us?

delta25

Banned
Liquidsnake said:
When I first landed on the Halo, I really felt like crying. I welled up inside. This game has so much meaning to me its hard to describe. Even now as I type this I am getting emotional.

Halo CE was my anti drug, it really help get me off drugs.

So I guess I can relate :)

delta25 said:
Halo CE was my anti drug, it really help get me off drugs.

So I guess I can relate :)

I hear you.

Halo CE came to me at a time when I got out of the worst relationship in my life, depression, and when my self esteem was at an all time low. This lasted for a month or so. Right up until this...........................

A good friend of mine was always talking about this game called Halo, and how I had to try it etc...... I wanted to forget what was going on in my life, so I went and bought an xbox, and Halo. I then spent the next 5 days in my house, I didn't shave I didn't leave the house I just played. I was blown away.

To fast forward a little. This game helped me forget about a lot of shit, and I owe it a lot. I will never forget. That is why I got the tattoo. Its not just some silly thing to me, or the result of a drunken night out. It reminds of they week that turned my life around, and the following 6 months that really improved my life.

I got this tattoo in three stages. That's why you have the Logo, then Chief from Halo 2, then the city drop.

Liquidsnake said:
I hear you.

Halo CE came to me at a time when I got out of the worst relationship in my life, depression, and when my self esteem was at an all time low. This lasted for a month or so. Right up until this...........................

A good friend of mine was always talking about this game called Halo, and how I had to try it etc...... I wanted to forget what was going on in my life, so I went and bought an xbox, and Halo. I then spent the next 5 days in my house, I didn't shave I didn't leave the house I just played. I was blown away.

To fast forward a little. This game helped me forget about a lot of shit, and I owe it a lot. I will never forget. That is why I got the tattoo. Its not just some silly thing to me, or the result of a drunken night out. It reminds of they week that turned my life around, and the following 6 months that really improved my life.

I got this tattoo in three stages. That's why you have the Logo, then Chief from Halo 2, then the city drop.

I understand man.

Reluctant-Hero said:
Played co-op on legendary over 'Live last night and ran into a wierd bug or lag.

When I hosted the co-op session, my buddy in Michigan experienced lag with the camera when he'd look around. The camera would move slowly then quickly accelerate in the direction he was looking.

But after we finished the first level, he was disconnected and didn't receive any of the achievements that I had received. So we played the first level over again with him as the host and I experienced the same bug/lag that he had before and I'm playing in Cali.

Has anyone else had wierd issues over live ci-op? Is the bad netcode or bad connections?Maybe the distance between us?
Same thing happened to me....not the achievement thing, but the lag you're talking about. I hosted the first level and it was fine but my friend had the lag, then we switched for the 2nd level and then I had the lag. Made it a bitch to jump and aim.

senador

Banned
senador said:
I am on Truth and Reconciliation now and have gathered some thoughts. Maybe I will share them all later but right now the main thing sticking out is the audio. I appreciate the remastering of weapon audio but none of the human weapons sound right to me, especially the sniper. All the plasma weapons sounds great though.

I really wish we could adjust audio levels for music, weapons, vehicles, and voice. The levels are so off for me on my home stereo. Music and guns are great but the Hog is quiet and voices are way quiet. I have to turn the stereo way up to hear them, but then everything else is too loud. Arg. Marty you are awesome but this part is dumb. I don't know if the ability to not adjust audio was carried over because of him, or it wasn't feasible to add in, but its still annoying and I hope that Halo 4 finally includes this.

Another thing about the weapons is that they are loud and bassy. This is great for movies and for 1 off things but when you are shooting the weapon over and over it can get annoying. I find the Warthog gun to be the worst. Its just overpowering and the sounds needed to be toned down a bit.

Lastly, while I think the new music sounds stellar, I do not like the strings (cello, bass, etc) taking the place of guitars. The guitars have been a part of Halo since the beginning and I sorely miss them.

I'm an idiot.

I messed with my speaker levels and got the game sounding better. Weapon sounds aren't quite as overpowering, but ist still kind of hard to hear some voices. I don't love the human weapon sounds but they are growing on me. It'd still be nice to have in game adjustments though.

I was totally off base on the music. All the music I had heard up to the point of making my original post was absent of guitars so I made an assumption that it was replaced by strings. Then I got to the Silent Cartographer and heard some amazing music with guitars in it. The music is superb and I love hearing the new versions as I push further.

delta25

Banned
So about the whole frame rate issue, I'm on the second level and have yet to encounter any frame drops. For people who have beating it, is there particular areas that are worse then others?

Trasher

So how's the soundtrack? I thought it was gonna be one of the best things about this, but I haven't seen a single post raving about it. :(

Edit: oh. lawl at senador's post above me

Majanew

Banned
squidhands said:
woohoo, good to know. I'll definitely be installing this when I get home.
The framerate still stutters even when installed.

delta25 said:
So about the whole frame rate issue, I'm on the second level and have yet to encounter any frame drops. For people who have beating it, is there particular areas that are worse then others?
Well, you must be trying to not see the stutter because it's everywhere.

I'll definitely re-do this with my capture card setup, but this is kind of a quirkly glitch that goatrope and I found the other day.

When you go out of the 'playable' area the new graphics just give up and decide to render absolutely nothing.

In this first video you can see that as soon as we get across the shaft the new graphics just stop rendering anything. When you switch to old you see everything as normal, but switch back to new and you'll see nothing.
Video 1

In this second video you'll see that if someone spawns while you're rendering nothing in new graphics, you will see the player spawn infront of you with no weapon. Kind of funny.
Video 2

Kind of neat

Framerate has been smooth for me. Some minor hiccups here and there, but nothing as a major knock against the game. Not on the level some people are talking about here.

Majanew

Banned
Dax01 said:
Framerate has been smooth for me. Some minor hiccups here and there, but nothing as a major knock against the game. Not on the level some people are talking about here.
True, it hasn't chugged like the sections found in Reach, but it's almost a constant stutter and it's annoying to me. Thankfully, the MP is smooth.

delta25

Banned
Majanew said:
True, it hasn't chugged like the sections found in Reach, but it's almost a constant stutter and it's annoying to me. Thankfully, the MP is smooth.

I guess that's my problem, I'm comparing this to Reach which had some pretty bad frame drops almost game breaking at some points, where as Halo CE is a lot better and IMO not noticeable at all unless you're looking for it.

I wonder, can you get the Legendary achievements while activating skulls? Unlike most skulls Bandanna is a straight up cheat, and would be pretty handy.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
Rickenslacker said:
I wonder, can you get the Legendary achievements while activating skulls? Unlike most skulls Bandanna is a straight up cheat, and would be pretty handy.

Halo honor, bro.

ElRenoRaven

Domino Theory said:
Something tells me I might've missed the terminal in AotCR. I'm almost done with the level and haven't seen it yet. :(

It's very easy to miss unless your search. If you want to know where just let me know. That or I can give you a hint if you want that instead.

I don't know why but I had a much more fun time playing on heroic or legendary on all the other Halos. Halo CE is just frustratingly difficult alone on legendary. I cannot imagine how hard the flood is on that difficulty

Dahellisdat said:
Same thing happened to me....not the achievement thing, but the lag you're talking about. I hosted the first level and it was fine but my friend had the lag, then we switched for the 2nd level and then I had the lag. Made it a bitch to jump and aim.
Okay, glad to know I'm not alone.

Were both of you playing with an "open" NAT? How much physical distance is between the two of you?

Rickenslacker said:
I played through the game with Grunts Funeral on and still got all my achievements. Though I honestly think it made the game tougher for me.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
Devin Olsen said:
I played through the game with Grunts Funeral on and still got all my achievements. Though I honestly think it made the game tougher for me.

+6 Halo honor.

PsychoRaven said:
It's very easy to miss unless your search. If you want to know where just let me know. That or I can give you a hint if you want that instead.
What section is it in? Just to make sure I haven't missed it.

Domino Theory said:
Something tells me I might've missed the terminal in AotCR. I'm almost done with the level and haven't seen it yet. :(
My first playthrough has taken me longer than anticipated because I'm paranoid about skipping a terminal.

One thing I liked about Sadie's Story in ODST was that you could find the Audio Logs in any order, of course that worked so well because of the hub level format. Thankfully CEA lets you access the terminals you've found from the main menu, so if I miss one I'll keep unlocking the rest but skipping the videos. Don't want to watch any out of order.

lybertyboy said:
Halo honor, bro.
I hold objectives in campaign.

Devin Olsen said:
I used that for my 3 skulls + Heroic achievement. It actually made things easier, kill a Grunt, hide yo ass, room freshly painted.

Dax01 said:
What section is it in? Just to make sure.
Somewhere in the area with Siege of Madrigal. Outdoors.

KageMaru

Played until 3-ish in the morning last night and loved it. The lag was pretty bad for the first few levels, but got better later on (I blame the host =p).

It's amazing how much they changed and most of the time for the better. There are moments where I think they may have gone overboard with the designs, but overall I really enjoy the new look.

The lighting and shadows caught my eye many times. Wouldn't mind beating it tonight or tomorrow.

lybertyboy said:
+6 Halo honor.

I really hate to put you on the spot, but I'm going to do it anyways =p, is there any chance for an update to address the performance issues? The fact that it runs: smooth -> stutter -> smooth -> stutter -> etc. without any major change in the scene indicates to me a lack of polish is the culprit and not some performance draining bottleneck.

I could be entirely wrong and I am enjoying the game regardless, but it's been the one major sore spot on an otherwise great update.

Rickenslacker said:
I used that for my 3 skulls + Heroic achievement. It actually made things easier, kill a Grunt, hide yo ass, room freshly painted.
Sounds good on paper... Now try and do the Maw Run with that on... There were also times were they would chain react and grunt bodies would come flying at me and land at my feet and explode, terrifying stuff.

PsychoRaven said:
Outdoor area before going into the control room at the end of the level.
Might want to spoiler tag that! Good. So I haven't missed.

I'm doing an on-foot playthrough of Halo's campaign. My first time doing it. AotCR is my favorite level too with no vehicles. Will have to break it for Two Betrayals, of course.

Rickenslacker said:
Yes, yes you can. And god bless them for taking away the straight up hassle of doing the infinite ammo glitch over and over to conserve. It's awesome to have skulls that increase player power (Bandana, Boom) rather than having everything hamstring the player again.

soulassssns said:
I don't know why but I had a much more fun time playing on heroic or legendary on all the other Halos. Halo CE is just frustratingly difficult alone on legendary. I cannot imagine how hard the flood is on that difficulty
Waaayyyy easier. None of the inexplicable mutating flood that apparently can't be damaged by anything (the way Halo 3 chose to go - fuck that godawful second to last level). With an M6D, shoot the right arm, shoot the left arm, repeat = instant friends. Perfect for those levels where no Marines are around to liven things up. And hilarious on 343 GS when Marines are still around to get jealous of your new friends.

Majanew said:
If it's not as bad as the stutters that Reach has, then I'll be all right. I hardly have any issues with framerate in Reach's campaign unless I'm in online co-op.

I'm thinking the netcode sucks. It's terribly choppy in online co-op and it makes it hard to aim.

And the volume leveling when someone speaks is driving me crazy...

Devin Olsen said:
Sounds good on paper... Now try and do the Maw Run with that on... There were also times were they would chain react and grunt bodies would come flying at me and land at my feet and explode, terrifying stuff.
Good point, haha.

Karl2177

So I've fully gone through now. I don't remember hating the last half of the game back then. I mostly remember the Library being the only terrible level. Two Betrayals is a cool mission, but for some reason, at one point I would randomly explode. I couldn't figure out why until I got myself in complete cover, and the game was spawning invisible rocket Flood. THE FUCK IS THIS SHIT? It didn't do that in the original. And mind you, I did it on Normal. After finally grabbing a Sniper to take him out, because he was a long ass ways away, my Sniper bullets had no effect on him or any Flood whatsoever. I don't remember that being the case in the original.

On a more positive note, skulls and terminals are the coolest things in the game by far. I started to get lazy near the end in looking for skulls(I only found 1 in the last 3 levels), but I was actively looking for blinking things that could be terminals. The story has me hyped for the future of Halo. Other changes that I enjoy are the remastered audio. I use ATH-M50s when I play. When I first picked up a Sniper Rifle, I was confused by the reticule, but I took my first shot at an Elite. This is a glorious change to the gun. It sounds powerful, and for some reason I like the new reticule.

Devin Olsen said:
We all are going to do a Grunt Funral Skull + Boom + Pinata run on New Year's Eve, right?

feel

The Lamonster said:
Going into a private chat should solve that.

edit- if you meant that it levels it when one of the two players speaks

The Lamonster said:
I'm thinking the netcode sucks. It's terribly choppy in online co-op and it makes it hard to aim.

The in-game dialogue is annoyingly low. One of the few disappointing aspects of the audio.

Trasher said:
So how's the soundtrack? I thought it was gonna be one of the best things about this, but I haven't seen a single post raving about it. :(

Edit: oh. lawl at senador's post above me
New soundtrack sounds amazing. Under Cover of Night, Rock Anthem for Saving the World, Perchance to Dream, these all sound fantastic. I was kinda bummed that when I got to the room that plays A Walk in the Woods the song would start then just cut off after like 10 seconds though.

Dax01 said:
Okay, let me try to clarify what I was saying before, because reading over my posts I'm confusing myself.

For a large part of the architecture, not a majority but certainly a sizable portion, I get the feeling that this isn't what Halo: Combat Evolved should look like with updated graphics. A lot of this change in architecture I don't like seem like "just because" changes (example of which is on the previous page). Yes, we've seen this kind of stylistic take on Forerunner architecture before, like in Halo Wars, but in that case it wasn't a remake.

In some cases, like the outside of the Halo ring, I'm left confused: What does a Halo ring look like? Does they look like the rings in Anniversary or in Halo 2 or 3? What is 343 going to use as a baseline for Forerunner stuff in Halo 4? Anniversary or the games by Bungie? Or will it be all of them?

Despite all of this, there are some things Saber has done well. As I said, fore a large part of the campaign, I think Saber has faithfully brought it up to date, and Saber was really, really good at bringing the natural environments into this generation. The rolling grasslands of Halo and the snowy chasms of Assault on the Control Room are drop-dead gorgeous.
Dax, you're saying what I've been thinking since the game was revealed. I respect you for this.

fpupfmoru.gif

Saber's going to put extra lights on his armor in the Xbox Infinity remake.

Top Bottom