• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Infinite |OT| Campaign. Evolved.

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
I wonder how much MS invested into the marketing/shilling of this game. They had to know that if this game failed, Halo would be dead as a franchise. They couldn't let that happen as Halo is synonymous with the Xbox brand. The disparity of opinions between the media and people actually playing the game on Twitch is staggering, with most real person opinions being somewhat negative on the game structure as open world, but all agreeing that the gameplay loop is solid.

The level of manipulation at play here is also next level. Choosing to skin the entire game after the most iconic level in Halo Combat Evolved, and going so far to manipulate your feelings of nostalgia as to use the exact same box art as Halo Combat Evolved reeks of desperation. 343 clearly doesn't have the magic that Bungie did, and still does with Destiny. Destiny is the natural progression of Halo. Infinite just reeks of a desperate attempt at reviving a dying brand by using nostalgia and paid propaganda to dictate public opinion.

This game will be largely forgotten by this time next year. I don't really see the Halo brand going anywhere positive from here. If this game is a commercial success, I can see them going back to the well of nostalgia for the next installment as well.
.........ok

I'm in the third act on heroic and I'm thoroughly enjoying myself. I find the boss encounters challenging and are a nice change of pace. Like many other people have said, the grapple hook is a perfect fit for this game.
One small annoyance is how it locks you out of previously played sections of the map without much of a warning as you progress through the main story.

Concern

Which is why I'm making sure to do all side activities before progressing each story mission.

Thankfully my ocd about clearing all icons has me doing this. But now I know I have to in order to not miss anything.

Weird how this pretty much seems like the Far Cry formula but it just works so well. I'm actually enjoying it. Legendary feeling a bit easier after the boss fight. Im sure I'll hate the next one tho lol

Infinite is the first good Halo that 343 has released, I hated 4 and 5
I'm curious just how much 343 has to thank for that. The game they were about to release last year was clearly completely different and likely much worse.

They brought in a lot of outside teams to transform the "Craig game" into the Halo Infinite we actually got. From what I understand, they cut the game size down by 2/3rds and all for the better.

So it's clear the game got "fixed" over the year, but it took outside studios to get what 343 originally created to the point it is at now. So, I'm not ready to say 343 has proven themselves to be the main team to be leading Halo going forward yet.

Concern

So I just did the Ransom Keep base and how about i got my scorpion and was excited for some easy kills. I had drove out but forgot to sabotage the repair station.

I get out to go in and sabotage it. As soon as I do that, 3 elite pods drop right on the scorpion and destroy it 🤣🤣🤣

What are the fuckin odds lol

Concern

I'm curious just how much 343 has to thank for that. The game they were about to release last year was clearly completely different and likely much worse.

They brought in a lot of outside teams to transform the "Craig game" into the Halo Infinite we actually got. From what I understand, they cut the game size down by 2/3rds and all for the better.

So it's clear the game got "fixed" over the year, but it took outside studios to get what 343 originally created to the point it is at now. So, I'm not ready to say 343 has proven themselves to be the main team to be leading Halo going forward yet.

Please stick to advertising for PlayStation in PlayStation threads. Nobody takes your laughable opinion serious.

lefty1117

Gold Member
So I just did the Ransom Keep base and how about i got my scorpion and was excited for some easy kills. I had drove out but forgot to sabotage the repair station.

I get out to go in and sabotage it. As soon as I do that, 3 elite pods drop right on the scorpion and destroy it 🤣🤣🤣

What are the fuckin odds lol
Literally the same exact thing happened to me!

Is anyone else having the game freeze up? Several times the game completely freezes, including audio to the point where I think it hard crashed. So far, it has eventually started back up.

There's no stuttering before or after, so it feels different than loading games often do when they need to catch up, but I'm guessing that's it? I'm playing on Series X with no other games/apps running.

It also takes a bit for the Xbox dashboard to pop up after I hit the button. With every other game, it's basically instantaneous.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member

Every AAA game studio brings in outside help.

Malakhov

Banned
Was getting 100+ fps indoor on ultra with my 5600x and 6800xt. Got outdoor and no matter the setting (low, high etc..) I get 30fps now. Even when I put the resolution scale down, wtf is this?

Dibils2k

yeeeeeeeeeeeah, not a fan of the open world tbh, already bored of clearing bases and rescuing people

i think i am gonna just focus on main mission and clear out places if they are on the way

i think combat is also better in the closed off areas too

Neokash

Neo Member
I wonder when and why the grapple hook was added to halo infinite? Grapple hook are proven to be fun in games and it cirtainly enhances the core halo gameplay loop. I think 343 were lazy n played it safe especially since the game just give you the grapple from the first second you start the game.

Just completed the game. It was fun. The open world worked but I was bored of most of the side objectives. I think it lays the groundwork for expansions/sequels being much better. As far as halo campaigns go it's up there for me. But as ever I'm here for the MP really. I will say the open world felt more dead than I thought it was going to.

Vagswarm

Just completed the game. It was fun. The open world worked but I was bored of most of the side objectives. I think it lays the groundwork for expansions/sequels being much better. As far as halo campaigns go it's up there for me. But as ever I'm here for the MP really. I will say the open world felt more dead than I thought it was going to.
I kind of wish there were creatures outside of the main & side areas that you could battle against. Or something a little different. Every time I was running to the next location, I wanted to whip out the rifle and shoot a gopher like in RDR2, lol.

I do like the sound effects a lot. Sounds amazing with headphones.

Last edited:
I wonder when and why the grapple hook was added to halo infinite? Grapple hook are proven to be fun in games and it cirtainly enhances the core halo gameplay loop. I think 343 were lazy n played it safe especially since the game just give you the grapple from the first second you start the game.

So you admit it's really fun, improves the core gameplay loop. But it's lazy and a safe move? What a fucking dumb perspective to have. 343 have done a much better job than bungie at adding to the core movements. Grapple here is fantastic and thrust was great in H5. Bungie added the worst sprint ever and horrendous equipment/armour abilities in h3/reach.

I kind of wish there were creatures outside of the main & side areas that you could battle against. Or something a little different. Every time I was running to the next location, I wanted to whip out the rifle and shoot a gopher like in RDR2, lol.

I do like the sound effects a lot. Sounds amazing with headphones.

Yeah the original trailer had all that wildlife. Correct me if I'm wrong but it was just birds in the skybox?

Last edited:

Vagswarm

Yeah the original trailer had all that wildlife. Correct me if I'm wrong but it was just birds in the skybox?
There are creatures like gophers, but I don't know if you can kill them. They're not part of the game, like with RDR's challenges. But I haven't seen any big creatures so far.

Last edited:

Vagswarm

Tbh, driving in this game is almost worse than the original Mako.
Lmao. By far the worst part of the game. I gave up when I was trying to drive the scorpion with hills and rocks everywhere. Got stuck between two rocks and was like Austin Powers trying to get out. Forward, reverse, forward, reverse, forward, reverse...

I mostly just run everywhere. It doesn't take long and they made it easy with the climbing and grapple.

Last edited:

dem

Is anyone else having the game freeze up? Several times the game completely freezes, including audio to the point where I think it hard crashed. So far, it has eventually started back up.

There's no stuttering before or after, so it feels different than loading games often do when they need to catch up, but I'm guessing that's it? I'm playing on Series X with no other games/apps running.

It also takes a bit for the Xbox dashboard to pop up after I hit the button. With every other game, it's basically instantaneous.

I had one freeze up so far.
I thought it locked up the whole console.

I can’t remember if it just continued playing after awhile or I had to kill the game.

Malakhov

Banned
Was getting 100+ fps indoor on ultra with my 5600x and 6800xt. Got outdoor and no matter the setting (low, high etc..) I get 30fps now. Even when I put the resolution scale down, wtf is this?
Downloaded the amd halo inifite patch, now getting 120fps on ultra even outside, game is smooth as hell. Pheeww, was scared for a minute

Banjo64

cumsessed
Anyone managed to find pictures of all of the armour unlocks from the armour lockers? I know it’s just skins, but I’d like to see if they’re worth hunting down. Only thing I can find online is location guides.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I can't stop playing this game, it's the Halo I've always wanted. I love that we can finally explore a Halo game with a purpose and rewards. It something I've always wanted to do in a Halo game. I'm still on the 2nd mission I think. I'm just cruising around liberating FOBs and rescuing marines, or just cruising aimlessly to see what interesting things I can find.

I'm also forcing myself to take breaks because I am going to be so, so sad when I finish this game, so I'm stretching it out as much as possible. I want it to go on forever, it's so much fun and the story is GREAT now that I've found enough audio logs to get what's going on.

I think think Starfield better be pretty damn good or Halo will be my game of this generation. It's already passed Halo 4 as my 2nd favorite Halo and I think if the story in Reach wasn't so emotional and told so damn well this could become my all-time favorite.

I had one freeze up so far.
I thought it locked up the whole console.

I can’t remember if it just continued playing after awhile or I had to kill the game.
If it happens again, wait a while. I swore my Xbox was frozen and almost hard killed the game, but it shortly started back up.

Malakhov

Banned
Anyone with a AMD card should get the AMD halo infinite patch, this makes the game run a lot better

Last edited:

Sephimoth

Probably about half way through and really liking it.

Story doesn't grab me (not a big Halo guy), I'm at the point where I just don't care about it and eyes glaze over.

But the gameplay is *chefs kiss*

Would like some more biomes though.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Hate him. I had a hell of a time beating his ass and I'm only playing on heroic. He makes me appreciate the Warden Eternal in Halo 5.

You’re not going to like future bosses…

Small tip: you can almost always sense that there’s going to be a boss fight. Just collect all explosive coils in one place before the fight and lure the boss into a trap. You can one shot almost every boss, even on legendary. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

MastAndo

I know I should load up marines into a vehicle and drive a crew into battle, but going full-on Spider-Chief grappling from tree to tree or Free Solo'ing it up the side of a mountain is just too much fun. My brothers in arms usually end up eating my dust.

Vagswarm

Probably about half way through and really liking it.

Story doesn't grab me (not a big Halo guy), I'm at the point where I just don't care about it and eyes glaze over.

But the gameplay is *chefs kiss*

Would like some more biomes though.
I feel the same way. Really not paying much attention to the story ever since the intro area (which really focused on it like previous games). There's too much action and killing to do. When an open world game grabs me like this, I do all of the optional stuff and complete every area, lol.

Maybe in a future playthrough I'll focus on the story more. For now it's just so much fun as far as gameplay.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Normally I don't care about "achievements" but I'm really happy with this one. Amazing game.

Going back to the open world to explore some more.

jsqGlnk.png

aries_71

Yes, it did it to me a couple of times.

Pedro Motta

Alright, after about 5 hours with the game, this is getting formulaic and boring.

When reviewers were comparing this with BOTW I thought there would be some kind of exploration and discovery involved, but after all it's just icons on a barren open world.
Base after base after base after base, it's the same all over again.

The first 2 hours were so good, I was really enjoying it, but now deep in the open world I find thats it's just clearing bases and chasing icons for the cores and armor cosmetics.
The gameplay is great but it just won't hold up for many more hours.

Will now plow through the story missions to see where they go with the narrative.

When reviewers were comparing this with BOTW I thought there would be some kind of exploration and discovery involved, but after all it's just icons on a barren open world.
I think it was initially envisioned to be like BotW, but that changed when the game got delayed. Apparently, two-thirds of the game was cut to keep the overall quality high.

Perhaps the next game will get back to the true open-world style. But, honestly, I'm not sure that's best for this type of game. I kind of like just a few things to do around the map and then tunneling back into more typical, linear stages for most of the main missions.

cormack12

Gold Member
One of the marines called me a dickhead earlier. I was fucking outraged. Wrote an email to kotaku.

Im actually finding some of the collectibles quite hard to find at the FOBS, the audio logs are fine as they emit a beep, and I think im doing ok on the cores but the things on the far right arent easy to find. Like the first ransom keep - scan doesnt seem to find them and getting high I cant see any flashing greens

Top Bottom