• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Infinite |OT| Campaign. Evolved.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Just a general question, are the upgrade\cores kinda close to sensible points like enemy bases etc, or you have to look at every cm on the map? like even in places where nothing happen with just rocks and trees?

(Talking about the upgrades for chief, not the multyplayer cosmetics)

Last edited:

Agent_Nobody

Gold Member
You actually are getting actual pieces of armor, though. Don't let the term 'armor coating' confuse you. To MP it might just be viewed as colors, but they're much more than that, they're technically different sets of armor in their specific generation of mjolnir; they're entire unique armor designs, texture/art with markings and other things of specific spartans, some (or all) of which are in the game's main campaign. Some coatings are literally just color swaps, but some are more elaborate designs for more important characters.

If I want in MP right now I can literally look exactly like a Spartan from the story campaign.

I have about 5-7 new sets of armor just from the first four missions.

I know, and I‘m not going to shit on anything I get as a reward….unless it looks ugly of course 🤣.

I just think the: ‘details coming soon’ tag on the requirements on some of the items when the MP unlocked early had some people expecting them to be campaign unlocks. But honestly while people really do need to learn not to read too much into things, 343 could have probably done it a bit better in terms of communication.

Last edited:

Nyxir

Just a general question, are the upgrade\cores kinda close to sensible points like enemy bases etc, or you have to look at every cm on the map? like even in places where nothing happen with just rocks and trees?

(Talking about the upgrades for chief, not the multyplayer cosmetics)
They can be anywhere. If you reclaim enough fop/banished territory they appear in the map. And if you get close to them they also appear there.
I really dislike that stealth is not an option.

It seems like the enemies just know where you are at all times if you're in a certain range.
Try crouch walking

GymWolf

Gold Member
They can be anywhere. If you reclaim enough fop/banished territory they appear in the map. And if you get close to them they also appear there.

Try crouch walking
Are we in a situation where you have a shitload of these things and you can upgrade everything with relative ease or in a situation where you can barely max a couple of them?

Good news about showing them in the map if you conquer enough stuff, at least i have more reasons to do that.

Last edited:

It seems like the enemies just know where you are at all times if you're in a certain range.

I can confirm this definitely isn't the case. Some element of stealth is almost certainly possibly, considering I snuck into the second banished outpost completed undetected by grappling up to a watch tower area, and could overhear a brute interrogating a human captive, and the unsc marine was just giving him all kinds of shit, telling jokes and what not, and the brute was getting upset, saying "You think this is a joke!?" It wasn't until I fired the first shot taking out a jackal that they were alerted. And even then after doing that, they still couldn't find my exact location till I decide to make my presence even bigger.

Nyxir

Are we in a situation where you have a shitload of these things and you can upgrade everything with relative ease or in a situation where you can barely max a couple of them?

Good news about showing them in the map if you conquer enough stuff, at least i have more reasons to do that.
Hmmm. Cant really tell cuz I am scourging the ring 😂
I think If you do story mission with some exploring and side mission you can easily max two of them and some.
Oh and I recommend going full grappler hock first. Travelers + ranged powerfull attak that has high damage and stuns the enemies around whoever you hit.

Last edited:

You can generally max out quite a few, even before getting to your newer equipment, but that's if you make helping the UNSC across Zeta Halo in various points of interest a priority, which I've been doing. I was able to fully max out my grapple before ever laying hands on the second piece of equipment in campaign. I see yet another opportunity to do that again before even pushing forward to the next mission.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
You can generally max out quite a few, even before getting to your newer equipment, but that's if you make helping the UNSC across Zeta Halo in various points of interest a priority, which I've been doing. I was able to fully max out my grapple before ever laying hands on the second piece of equipment in campaign.
How is this game 12 hours only?? lol fucking journalists...

Can you miss the new equipment? or it is related to the story?!

Last edited:
How is this game 12 hours only?? lol fucking journalists...

Can you miss the new equipment? or it is related to the story?!

It's impossible to miss equipment. They are directly tied to your story progress, which I love. Honestly, if you're really playing the game they designed for you as you're meant to play it, and aren't just ignoring the open world, which truly brings out the very best in Halo's sandbox combat gameplay and just nails the exploration and visual storytelling part of the package, then there's no way this game is an 8 or 12 hour campaign.

I'm going to give an update of where I'm at right now.

I'm 11 hours and 16 minutes into the game, 18% complete, and I haven't even touched the 5th mission of the game yet. And this new section I'm in is FARRRR larger than the last, with seemingly 3 or 4 times as many forward operating bases, meaning there's simply way more to find.

So I can safely say this will be a 20-30 hour+ campaign experience for me.

buenoblue

Bit the bullit and bought a 5600x. My 2600 was stuttering pretty bad on high 1440p with 2070 super.

1440p ultra now, smooth as butter. Time to start playing properly.

robbulous

Banned
I wonder how much MS invested into the marketing/shilling of this game. They had to know that if this game failed, Halo would be dead as a franchise. They couldn't let that happen as Halo is synonymous with the Xbox brand. The disparity of opinions between the media and people actually playing the game on Twitch is staggering, with most real person opinions being somewhat negative on the game structure as open world, but all agreeing that the gameplay loop is solid.

The level of manipulation at play here is also next level. Choosing to skin the entire game after the most iconic level in Halo Combat Evolved, and going so far to manipulate your feelings of nostalgia as to use the exact same box art as Halo Combat Evolved reeks of desperation. 343 clearly doesn't have the magic that Bungie did, and still does with Destiny. Destiny is the natural progression of Halo. Infinite just reeks of a desperate attempt at reviving a dying brand by using nostalgia and paid propaganda to dictate public opinion.

This game will be largely forgotten by this time next year. I don't really see the Halo brand going anywhere positive from here. If this game is a commercial success, I can see them going back to the well of nostalgia for the next installment as well.

Last edited:

Starfield

Anyone want to play without HUD but with a crosshair? I found a neat little trick

all you have to do is aim at a surface where the yellow grapple hock crosshair comes on, then go to settings and disable UI. The yellow thing should stay.

Boom, now you can play Halo Infinite only with a crosshair

twilo99

Gold Member
I wonder how much MS invested into the marketing/shilling of this game. They had to know that if this game failed, Halo would be dead as a franchise. They couldn't let that happen as Halo is synonymous with the Xbox brand. The disparity of opinions between the media and people actually playing the game on Twitch is staggering, with most real person opinions being somewhat negative on the game structure as open world, but all agreeing that the gameplay loop is solid.

The level of manipulation at play here is also next level. Choosing to skin the entire game after the most iconic level in Halo Combat Evolved, and going so far to manipulate your feelings of nostalgia as to use the exact same box art as Halo Combat Evolved reeks of desperation. 343 clearly doesn't have the magic that Bungie did, and still does with Destiny. Destiny is the natural progression of Halo. Infinite just reeks of a desperate attempt at reviving a dying brand by using nostalgia and paid propaganda to dictate public opinion.

This game will be largely forgotten by this time next year. I don't really see the Halo brand going anywhere positive from here. If this game is a commercial success, I can see them going back to the well of nostalgia for the next installment as well.

The multiplayer is really, really good.. the campaign is just sort of a bonus for a lot of people.

This game is like Jazz, it has familiar notes and the underlying beat is familiar, but you can improvise and do what you want. The grapple is a stringed instrument that gets the highlighted in the improvisation.

so far I like what the band has brought to the stage and I plan on staying a while.
7XKHfR1.jpg

Jokes aside, I agree. You can make your own fun within Halo's rhythms.

clarky

Gold Member

That's...... certainly a take.

Didn't realize I was being manipulated into enjoying a game. Fuck me.

And as a Destiny player, Destiny is a massive step down from peak Halo in both single player and multiplayer. Destiny campaigns are utterly forgettable.

Your post reeks of desperation to me.

And yes this IS peak Halo.

Last edited:

Thavash

Did you play the game ? I’m 10 hours in and its already one of my favourite Halo games.

Thavash

Also, my favourite vehicle is normally the Ghost but does anyone else feel thats its a bit too powerful here (ie moves too fast )?

kyoji

Finished the first level. I don't have a lot of experience with 343i Halo games. All of the weapons feel...weird? I guess it's just different from what I'm used to. I really wish Bungie wouldn't have introduced Brutes into the lore. They are so much less interesting to fight than Elites. I'm curious to see the open world. The first level wasn't all that interesting and the escape sequence was far from tense.
Looking forward to a complete review from you once you finish or get close to finishing the game, as you play alot of games year round of various types.

Officially 13 hours in, and still haven't gotten to the 5th mission. Went around the new area getting armor lockers, taking out high value targets, and rescuing marines in trouble. It can't be stressed enough that every last one of these combat encounters are impeccably designed. The various random encounters throughout Zeta Halo, or where you go help Marines, would be main missions in previous more linear Halo titles. 343i have found themselves one absolutely incredible formula that, right now, is one of the best equipped games to operate and succeed as a games as a service while still delivering campaigns at the level of production value of what we received.

This game is probably now in my top 3 all time.

My list is something like

FF7VII PS1 in the #1 spot
KOTOR original #2
Metal Gear Solid on PS1 #3

I'm comfortable now putting Halo Infinite at my #2 spot where I had Kotor. Depending on how it all finishes, it may even challenge for my #1, but the formula for this game is just so good. I've never been able to grab a Halo title, put in like a good 15-30 minutes, and still feel like I accomplished things.

Anyone who has negative thoughts on the open world structure of this game simply can't be playing and experiencing it themselves. If they are, then they're so bitterly obsessed with console wars that they refuse to be honest about the quality of what's there. I can't take any of those people serious. This is the best Halo game ever made, and easily one of the best first person shooter experiences I've ever had.

And all that stuff you just said about Destiny being the natural progression of Halo? I almost threw up in my mouth reading that. Destiny isn't Halo. It's very much something else, no matter how much it may feel good to some. Halo is more than just it's incredible gameplay loop, it's the universe, the characters, the humor, won't even bother wasting anymore time trying to explain it. If you think 343 hasn't captured the magic of Halo with this game then you simply have no idea what Halo even is.

edit: Everytime I see a really, really ridiculous statement about the quality of this game it's from a neo member. Is that a coincidence, or is that the actual trend of this thread? Someone correct me if I'm just seeing things.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

I think this a great game. It has that same spark Ghost of Tsushima had for me. I constantly want to do some side activities on the map. Like the Sony open world template, the map is not cluttered and the scale is not immense but just enough. Traversal with the hookshot feels good. Its a very tight open world game like GoT and Horizon imo.

Guerrilla could've made a Killzone like this, basically. Think about it.

This game also trounces Destiny by the way. I like this map and this encounter design much more, I like the dialogue more, the atmosphere, the charm.. everything basically. Infinite is the first good Halo that 343 has released, I hated 4 and 5.

Last edited:

Crew511A

Fuck the first boss on legendary. Shit is ridiculous lol
Without getting into spoiler territory, I used the plasma pistol overcharge to lower his shields, and then needler him or stick him with grenades. Don't be afraid to hit and run. Going in the tunnel beneath the map reduces his ability to use a certain attack.

But yes, I beat him last night on Legendary, and was raging hard. The game's checkpoint system needs work. When I die, I shouldn't have to respawn immediately staring down the face of an angry boss. Give me at least a few seconds to react.

ETA: If this is too much info, let me know and l'll delete it.

Last edited:

Concern

use the plasma carbine on him

Without getting into spoiler territory, I used the plasma pistol overcharge to lower his shields, and then needler him or stick him with grenades. Don't be afraid to hit and run. Going in the tunnel beneath the map reduces his ability to use a certain attack.

But yes, I beat him last night on Legendary, and was raging hard. The game's checkpoint system needs work. When I die, I shouldn't have to respond when I'm staring down the face of an angry boss. Give me at least a few seconds to react.

I was literally running around with the stalker rifle and sticking him. Almost beat him the first try by luck. Then I picked up the plasma rifle and noticed how much stronger it is against him but he keeps killing me.

Also noticed the tunnel under. But he frustrated me into taking a break lol fuck that guy. And to think someone had posted a gif trying to say ai is shit. I wish that was the case rn 🤣🤣.

Thanks a lot to both of you. Just on a break rn lol

Topher

Gold Member
So played a bit more and this game is stellar. Any/all GOTY accolades are completely justified in my mind. It really is that good.

But......I have one complaint. Driving the mongoose is absurd. So you basically driving in the direction you look? Seems so backwards to how driving any vehicle is done in most games. Is there no setting to change this?

Other than that, I'm having a blast.

Has anyone found a fix for the stuttering/frame pacing issue? I'm running on ultra on a 3080 and framerate is pretty stable at 80-90 fps but it doesn't feel smooth at all.

Agreed. I'm used to games like Deathloop or Far Cry, where I like to stealth as many enemies as I can until I get caught, then go Rambo after shit hits the fan.

SteadyEvo

I get the FarCry comparisons but this is actually interesting, fresh, and fun. You never know what/who you’re gonna run into. Meaning enemy type, weapon and or vehicle use. Yeah, it has that basic open world formula but manages to do it well. And the graphics are crisp. Sharp.

Nyxir

So played a bit more and this game is stellar. Any/all GOTY accolades are completely justified in my mind. It really is that good.

But......I have one complaint. Driving the mongoose is absurd. So you basically driving in the direction you look? Seems so backwards to how driving any vehicle is done in most games. Is there no setting to change this?

Its just how vehicles work in Halo. Its sort of a tradition.
mouse and keyboard gives a little bit of control. But it’s basically the same method.

I love the game so far—quick question: how do I access the high target weapons I've killed. The weapon said I should get it back at FOB base but not seeing them.

Concern

Walter White Win GIF by Breaking Bad

So I just went back and kill the piece of shit twice. Literally my second try killed him but he killed me at the same time lol.

A few more tries and absolutely destroyed him before he could do much damage. Finally, fuck him and im not looking forward to the next brute 🤣🤣

Kev Kev

worst take ive ever read. shameless troll post

Last edited:

I haven't called the mongoose once. I also realize the best way to drive vehicles in this game is, unless you see safe, flat territory where you can let loose speed wise, just don't. Take your time and move at a normal pace. This game is very purpose built and designed to intentionally make areas not fit for driving, and then to make other areas fit for driving, but by making it clear in terrain design that you don't want to try blasting through here at top speed, you will literally go over so many bumps that the driving experience will be terrible. But then the game DOES have areas where you can let loose with your vehicles.

And because in this game the marines can ACTUALLY FUCKING FIGHT what you sacrifice by not having the traditional warthog with a gun on the back, or even the one with the rockets, you more than get back by having the razorback and just having like 5 fully loaded marines with you when you go into battle. Lovely, lovely stuff. Also, another huge compliment. This game's memory retention, or whatever is the proper term, for you leaving vehicles, weapons or other things laying around, going really far away, and still being able to come back and find it where you left it is most impressive. I think if you die, for example, you'll still come back to exactly where you left that warthog, but instead of the warthog now maybe having the battle damage you left it with, it'll be in perfect condition, but that's after a death. If you don't die you come back and see it exactly how you left it. These are technical achievements that really do go underappreciated in a lot of games.

Top Bottom