• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Lore Thread

Well, they're deliberately exaggerated because they're designed to be recognizable from far above in the RTS view, and you can't have the in-game units be completely different designs than the cinematics. I think one of the developers said that compared to a regular hog in game, the Hogs in Halo Wars jump three or four times as high and as far to make it "seem" correct.

Yeah, I get the reasoning; it's just disconcerting when you see them at ground level.

The Halo Wars Elites were too exxagerated in order to appear more 'menacing' and 'evil.'

1377110914986.jpg

^ best Sangheili anatomy. Relatable, yet alien.

LordOfChaos

Was the Primordial imprisoned by the Precursors, or the forerunners? Forerunners would make more sense, but it says the humans managed to communicate with him through the precursor technology. I thought that by the time they were flood-ified, there was almost nothing else left of their species, and most of the rest would have been that mutated powder with the same nature as him. So who imprisoned him? In Cryptum it says he was imprisoned "millions" of years ago, which could be in the Precursors or Forerunners times.

Was the Primordial imprisoned by the Precursors, or the forerunners? Forerunners would make more sense, but it says the humans managed to communicate with him through the precursor technology. I thought that by the time they were flood-ified, there was almost nothing else left of their species, and most of the rest would have been that mutated powder with the same nature as him. So who imprisoned him? In Cryptum it says he was imprisoned "millions" of years ago, which could be in the Precursors or Forerunners times.

The way I interpreted it was that the Primordial was a "beast" from Precursor time, possibly a Precursor itself (
according to it
). After the Forerunners pre-emtively hunted down and killed nearly all the Precursors some 10 million years before the events in the books, some had managed to escape annihilation and went into hibernation in their ships eventually turning into organically inert dust/powder (
)which supposedly became the Flood we know today after being initially used to make Human and San 'Shyuum pets more docile
)). But evidently this "beast" (
assuming we can take the Primordial for its word, which is difficult considering it also claims to be Flood - perhaps they are one in the same, but perhaps he is tainted and confused/bullshitting
) somehow ended up in an ancient stasis capsule (
presumably of Precursor origin
) to survive for millions of years until it was found deep inside some asteroid at the edge of the Milky Way by the Human Yprin Yprikushma (
the lead science expert of Ancient Human space-faring society and close rival of Forthencho, the Lord of Admirals
). To me, it is unclear whether this "beast" was a Precursor, or a Precursor "construct", and it is also unclear if this "Primordial" was a prisoner or refuge in its hibernation within the stasis capsule.

Either way, for security, the Primordial was placed in a Timelock (
frozen in time - likely a San 'Shyuum technology, but could possibly have been of Forerunner origin as well
) by the Ancient Humans at some point after it was moved to Charum Hakkor (
Ancient Human core-world
) and "revived". The Timelock was the prison, as far as I've interpreted it, not the stasis capsule that it was found in as some people have assumed, as implied by the Human scientist reviving the creature within the stasis capsule, though I can't be completely sure, I'd have to pull some quotes. So I suppose you could say the Primordial was imprisoned by the Ancient Humans and San 'Shyuum together, rather than the Forerunners or Precursors themselves. But the Forerunner-Precursor war ~10 million year prior was what lead to it being placed/taking refuge in the stasis capsule in the first place, so one could make that argument, too.

When the Master Builder Faber ordered Mendicant Bias to secretly test-fire the Halo that eventually became Installation 07 at Charum Hakkor, the Primordial was released from its stasis capsule (
precursor tech is destroyed by Halo's effect
) and thus the Timelock as well. The Master Builder moved the Primordial to Installation 07 and tasked Mendicant Bias to study it, and later Mendicant Bias interrogated the "creature" for a long while before eventually joining "sides" with it, becoming rampant (
this is likely the same "Gravemind" interrogation from the Halo 3 Terminals, and likely Mendicant Bias was the first "victim" of the Logic Plague later employed to great effect against AIs by the Flood
).

Luckily, the IsoDidact/Bornstellar was able to re-capture the Primordial, and placed it back into a Forerunner Timelock.

In my view, since the Gravemind that was later interrogated by the UrDidact claimed to be the Primordial (
the event that instigated his "madness" seen in Halo 4
), many people directly associate them. But my opinion is that when the IsoDidact had previously killed the Primordial by reversing the Timelock (
that is, accelerating time to near infinite inside, "instantly" decomposing and killing it over billions of years
), the Primordial's consciousness "transferred" and then became part of the Flood - and thus the entity we know in Halo 2 called Gravemind was "made" (
I am a monument to all your sins, I have listened through rock and metal and time, etc
), though obviously not physically the same being, just from a collective consciousness perspective. This is why some people co-relate the Primordial to the Gravemind, saying they are the same thing, when in my opinion they weren't REALLY the same until IsoDidact's act. Of course, Gravemind is also the collective consciousness of everything it has "consumed", as well, so it is hard to wrap your head around this - I think intentionally, considering all the varying perspectives and accounts across the Forerunner trilogy and other fiction...

big response with expanded history/context for other people reading :p

daedalius

Blur is going to make the Gravemind look SO AMAZING. Maybe it will actually look like it was supposed to in the concept art... instead of the mess of polygons we actually got in halo 2, haha.

Toa TAK

Banned
Blur is going to make the Gravemind look SO AMAZING. Maybe it will actually look like it was supposed to in the concept art... instead of the mess of polygons we actually got in halo 2, haha.

I thought he looked awesome in Halo 2.

One of my gripes about 3 is that we didn't get to see more of him.

So, I just read a few of the graphic novels that I hadn't seen before; thought I'd share my thoughts here:

Uprising: Solid 4/5. The art is a little off putting, but I found it largely worked with the story. Seeing the little people in the grand conflict was a nice change of pace, and seeing how the Chief got off the Keyship was fantastic. I actually found the civilian story to be more impactful, though. The line about thinking the whole war was propaganda stuck with me, for some reason. It really highlights the impact of the sudden invasion on the populace.

Bloodlines 3/5. They went a little too far trying to humanize the Spartans, IMO. Other than that, good book. Decent art. The twist with the Elite's brother was a good one, especially considering the subversion/deconstruction of the whole "over protective big brother" trope. The Spartans (like I mentioned before) came off as a little too unprofessional, but that could just be in comparison to Blue Team; these guys seem a lot more dysfunctional. The bit where
Victor loses it
was pretty great, though, so I'm willing to forgive it as a necessity of the plot.

Initiation This one's a little unusual: Issue 1 4/5, everything else 1.5/5. The change in creative teams really, really hurt this one. The first issue had good art, good writing, and a decent plot. Palmer comes off as rough and capable, but not perfect (considering the issue ends with her in the hospital). After that, things rapidly go downhill. The art takes a nose dive, the plot becomes very weak, and Palmer acquires her customary plot armor. Very bad.

Fuchsdh

Spartan Black and Gray Team have really just been rather pointless uses of the Spartans overall. The whole "romance at Spartan training, and so the other Spartans put her eye out" was... bizarre, and doesn't seem to jive with everything we know about the training program otherwise.

Spartan Black and Gray Team have really just been rather pointless uses of the Spartans overall. The whole "romance at Spartan training, and so the other Spartans put her eye out" was... bizarre, and doesn't seem to jive with everything we know about the training program otherwise.

They put her eye out over the training exercise, not the romance thing. That should probably have been clearer. The only reason the romance figures into it is because the only reason Red Team could get to them is because she was put in the brig over the romance. Still, pushing it in terms of personal drama.

Fuchsdh

They put her eye out over the training exercise, not the romance thing. That should probably have been clearer. The only reason the romance figures into it is because the only reason Red Team could get to them is because she was put in the brig over the romance. Still, pushing it in terms of personal drama.

Yeah I shoulda' been clearer that they were separate, but both things just seemed completely out of character for what we know of the Spartans.

Plus with both Spartan Black and Gray Team the characters never really rose to the level of "badass Spartans with badass armor" special status, and that makes me dislike them more. It's like Palmer; I doubt people would have had as strong a reaction to her if the games hadn't done a lot more telling than showing.

Yeah I shoulda' been clearer that they were separate, but both things just seemed completely out of character for what we know of the Spartans.

Plus with both Spartan Black and Gray Team the characters never really rose to the level of "badass Spartans with badass armor" special status, and that makes me dislike them more. It's like Palmer; I doubt people would have had as strong a reaction to her if the games hadn't done a lot more telling than showing.

After reading Initiation and getting up to date on Escalation, I've found that I have a bigger problem with the writers than the character. Honestly, there's some perfectly serviceable material there, but they just can not for the life of them get past the "female action lead must be perfect" issue. That said, I've got high hopes now that Brian Reed is writing the comics again.

In the games, I don't think Palmer had enough screen time either way; I'm still unsure why people who haven't perused the EU dislike her. She's got maybe 5 minutes of time on-screen in the main game, and in Spartan Ops she actually makes a fairly good showing (though she suffers from the same issues as the comics to a certain extent.) I still think it's just the "eggheads" line ruffling people's feathers.

LordOfChaos

Yeah, it's kind of hard committing to my mental lore anything that the Primordial says, since he may well be deliberately misleading people for several reasons. Like the part where he says he
is flood, but previously in the book it says he predates the flood by millions (I think?) of years, so did the flood exist when the precursors were the kingpins? That doesn't make sense with the corrupted powder thing then either. Unless the Precursors were always flood.

Fuchsdh

After reading Initiation and getting up to date on Escalation, I've found that I have a bigger problem with the writers than the character. Honestly, there's some perfectly serviceable material there, but they just can not for the life of them get past the "female action lead must be perfect" issue. That said, I've got high hopes now that Brian Reed is writing the comics again.

In the games, I don't think Palmer had enough screen time either way; I'm still unsure why people who haven't perused the EU dislike her. She's got maybe 5 minutes of time on-screen in the main game, and in Spartan Ops she actually makes a fairly good showing (though she suffers from the same issues as the comics to a certain extent.) I still think it's just the "eggheads" line ruffling people's feathers.

Well, obviously. I've never gotten people who hate a fictional character. If anything you should be annoyed at the writers for not giving you someone relatable and/or interesting and/or whatever else as required by the plot.

As for Escalation, thus far my only major complaints have been the art being mediocre when Halo should really merit good or great artwork, and the plain-inaccurate blurb summaries. Schlerf did I think a better job on Escalation than he did on Halo 4; Initiation, meanwhile, I found tedious after the first two issues and it was written by Reed.

I do hope they break up these arcs with more standalone stories a la the last issue with Thorne, because that's making better use of the comic medium.

Yeah, it's kind of hard committing to my mental lore anything that the Primordial says, since he may well be deliberately misleading people for several reasons. Like the part where he says he
is flood, but previously in the book it says he predates the flood by millions (I think?) of years, so did the flood exist when the precursors were the kingpins? That doesn't make sense with the corrupted powder thing then either. Unless the Precursors were always flood.

I think a lot of people get caught up on what certain characters say in the fiction and take those things as facts. It's important to remember that there are going to be multiple perspectives on events, and that, especially for this point in time in the universe, much of what we know has been pieced together from differing data points. I mean, Cryptum is called the "Bornstellar Relation", as it's Bornstellar/IsoDidact's accounts of the events. Primordium is a a series of captured data streams from a malfunctioning 343 Guilty Spark. And Silentium is Catalog's depositions of various characters we explored in the first two books. Based on that, I think it's reasonable to assume a lot of the data is suspect and up for further interpretation rather than being absolute.

What exactly the Primordial was from a physical is anybody's guess (An actual Precursor? A mix of ancient creatures? A remnant of their consciousness? The name itself certainly suggests it existed from the beginning of time, but I think the answer is not that important, ultimately). I do believe it had genuine, and intimate knowledge of the Precursors' objectives, their memories, their experiences. I would explain the Primordial's claim that he is Flood as metaphor, as in the Flood and the Precursors are "the same", just different means to the a particular end: unity. Unity is one solution to the Precursors' "problem" after their defeat at the hands of their creations - the Forerunners. By unifying the galaxy, there would no longer be competition between intelligent species and so no war, no suffering, no destruction, just "sweetness", and an infinite fount of knowledge and history to swim in. But the Forerunner's activation of Halo destroyed the Domain, not only killing all life, but also the galaxy's "soul". Perhaps the Flood is a means to "rebuild" it, the creators could wipe the galaxy of their creations and "start over" - via an infection, a compound of every thinking being in the galaxy, as well as the Primordial, who still remembered that dark history from so many eons ago. I think the Flood as a collective entity and the Domain are the same, too, just different variations of that idea of a central collective of memory and experience (remember the odd mossy/fungal version of the Domain that the remnants of ancient Forerunners in Path Kethona had made that Librarian discovered on her research mission?).

edit: It's no coincidence I think that the best chance to defeat the Flood is to play its game and unify against it - which would also be a solution to the Precursors' "problem". In a sense, the Flood is a representation of the creators losing their "faith" in their creations' ability to inherit the Mantle - the responsibility of the most evolved and powerful forms of life to protect and foster the lesser things rather than destroy. That is why it is a test, as either way the Precursors get the unity they wanted. The Forerunners already failed. The Covenant failed. And I personally believe humanity is on the path to failing as well through ONI. So who then could prove the creators wrong and finally unify the galaxy under a single banner against the Flood, and under the shelter of their Mantle, to "Reclaim" that lost "right", and to act as "Guardians"?

I think we both know the answer to that ;)

Solidsoul

Banned
First i want to thank everyone here for making a very enjoyable thread to read. I have a question.

With the way Prometheans were received by the public in Halo 4, as well as how spartan ops ended
(Requiem and all it's inhabitants destroyed by being directed into the sun.)
and the fact that everything we have seen in Halo 5 seems to hint more towards covenant-esque story such as the arbiter, his background and being on sanghellios what are the chances of Prometheans actually being an enemy in the game?

I am not one of the people that hated Prometheans but i'd be happy either way if they were or weren't in Halo 5. What are everyone's thoughts? As an add on to that question, which enemy do you think we will spend the most time fighting?

First i want to thank everyone here for making a very enjoyable thread to read. I have a question.

With the way Prometheans were received by the public in Halo 4, as well as how spartan ops ended
(Requiem and all it's inhabitants destroyed by being directed into the sun.)
and the fact that everything we have seen in Halo 5 seems to hint more towards covenant-esque story such as the arbiter, his background and being on sanghellios what are the chances of Prometheans actually being an enemy in the game?

I am not one of the people that hated Prometheans but i'd be happy either way if they were or weren't in Halo 5. What are everyone's thoughts? As an add on to that question, which enemy do you think we will spend the most time fighting?

Very high chance they will return as a faction. I would say all but guaranteed. Though they may get a mechanic overhaul versus Halo 4. (
at least they really should
)

Solidsoul

Banned
Very high chance they will return as a faction. I would say all but guaranteed. Though they may get a mechanic overhaul versus Halo 4. (
at least they really should
)

I'm not doubting your assumption at all, but to further add to that what are the main reasons you think their return is all but guaranteed?

Do you think it will be a solid mix of them and elites/grunts/hunters/jackals again?

Solidsoul

Banned
There is one more question i'd love to hear peoples interpretations of as well.

Bungie didn't introduce Didact or Bornstellar or many other things until their last numbered title effort and that was through the terminals. What led bungie to creating this plot/these characters?

Did they have their own plans for them? Did they make these characters so 343i would have more to go off of? Or was it simply something that was in the "Halo Bible" for a long time that they didn't decide to tell until then?

Fuchsdh

There is one more question i'd love to hear peoples interpretations of as well.

Bungie didn't introduce Didact or Bornstellar or many other things until their last numbered title effort and that was through the terminals. What led bungie to creating this plot/these characters?

Did they have their own plans for them? Did they make these characters so 343i would have more to go off of? Or was it simply something that was in the "Halo Bible" for a long time that they didn't decide to tell until then?

I think Bungie simply decided to tell a small story for dedicated people who would hunt them down.

Given that a lot of Bungie people intended humans to be direct descendants from Forerunners, and that the story Greg Bear tells is different in several important ways from the tale given in the Halo 3 terminals, it's safe to say Bungie wasn't trying to do 343 a solid or anything.

The Halo bible is an interesting question. We know that when 343 took over post-Halo 3 they hired an outside group to consolidate and create a story bible--which implies that whatever Bungie had it was incomplete, scattershot, or simply not given to 343.

Solidsoul

Banned
That was a super interesting article, thanks for posting. It really is quite amazing how many loose ends Bungie left open for another developer to expand on, even if it was completely unintentional.

I constantly hear "bungie meant for humans to be forerunners" but no one ever provides much more than theory on that. Even the link to that guy who said "they intended for humans to be forerunner" that was posted early in this thread can't be considered confirmation as he has no hand in the lore. Doesn't Halo 3's terminals point towards forerunners being a different species?

I think Bungie simply decided to tell a small story for dedicated people who would hunt them down.

Given that a lot of Bungie people intended humans to be direct descendants from Forerunners, and that the story Greg Bear tells is different in several important ways from the tale given in the Halo 3 terminals, it's safe to say Bungie wasn't trying to do 343 a solid or anything.

The Halo bible is an interesting question. We know that when 343 took over post-Halo 3 they hired an outside group to consolidate and create a story bible--which implies that whatever Bungie had it was incomplete, scattershot, or simply not given to 343.

Frank was the bible.

daedalius

Thinking about updating that article or making a new one with the additions of the 3rd Greg Bear book and Halo 4 information?

Solidsoul

Banned
I went through and found all of the bits and pieces of the things David Candland (Evil Otto) said in the HBO forums and compiled it. Since this seems to be the greatest source of discrepancy amongst Halo Fans. I think he says everything pretty well, and is very fair. I will highlight the things I think are worth noting. Should this maybe go in the OP to settle the "Humans are Forerunners" dispute once and for all?

David Candland (Evil Otto) said:
First reply:

Aww, I liked the story in Reach. It had much more of a character-driven emotional impact to me than all the others. I will say though, that from a written standpoint, the original Halo had the best narrative.

I like your post though, because, like Lucas, we had to evolve the story to make gameplay and schedules work. We hadn't planned the Arbiter in Halo 1. There were numerous times we wanted to write out the Flood in Halo 2 and 3 because fighting them tended to be more of a chore than anything. And yes, like you all suspected, the Chief really WAS originally planning to finish the fight in Halo 2.

One of the most striking ret-cons to me is the basic concept of the whole role of humanity. Originally (back in Halo 1) the reason why humans weren't conquered and incorporated into the Covenant collective was because their presence defied Covenant religion. When the Covenant discovered humans, they knew they were forerunners, but their presence implied the "great journey" failed. They also weren't the all powerful gods they worshiped, so the Prophets wanted to "sweep them under the carpet," as it were.

The plot lines in our games imply this everywhere - the chief being called reclaimer, only humans being able to retrieve and insert the index, Spark telling the chief, "you are forerunner." etc.

I just finished reading Cryptum this morning. In it I discovered that the forerunner are now an entirely different caste-based species with Humans as a beaten, but allied race. At this point, I just follow Cody's lead, shrug my shoulders and say, "eh. it was a good read anyway. I'll buy book 2."

Second reply:

Oh, and let me follow that up by saying that arguing over what is canon and what isn't (Nicole the spartan, Odd One Out, Reach vs. Fall of Reach) does nobody any good. Enjoy it all.

Third reply:

Sorry, I don't mean to sound flippant or dismissive. I also don't mean to imply that I, as a UI designer, have any control over story in our games, and I certainly don't want to get in a spitting match with our fans. I'm one myself.

This is my personal opinion, but I believe that people should take the games at face value as the source. Supplemental materials such as novels, comics, and other tie-ins are nice, but should not dictate the story (yes, even if they came first). The Empire Strikes Back would have been a much different movie if Lucas incorporated "Splinter of the Mid's Eye" into the canon - and it would've lost everyone that hadn't read it.

And yes, I recognize the fact that there are some inconsistencies between the games themselves (how did Miranda and Johnson get back to Earth?). This is why I applauded the original post to begin with. Sometimes, in movies and games, things happen when you have to take a revisionist approach in order to make the game fun or the cinematics concise.

David Candland is the UI Lead at Bungie.

david.png

Here is a link to the source: http://forums.bungie.org/halo/archive36.pl?read=1070818

Fuchsdh

Thinking about updating that article or making a new one with the additions of the 3rd Greg Bear book and Halo 4 information?

It's on the to-do list, but that's a backburner with the book right now. Got a whole mess of content I hope is still timely once we finish :)

I went through and found all of the bits and pieces of the things David Candland (Evil Otto) said in the HBO forums and compiled it. Since this seems to be the greatest source of discrepancy amongst Halo Fans. I think he says everything pretty well, and is very fair. I will highlight the things I think are worth noting. Should this maybe go in the OP to settle the "Humans are Forerunners" dispute once and for all?

David Candland is the UI Lead at Bungie.

david.png

Here is a link to the source: http://forums.bungie.org/halo/archive36.pl?read=1070818

The Forerunner trilogy does have a few statements that Humans and Forerunners were originally one species who branched off (due to Primordial influence).

That being said...that quote does not inspire me with confidence. Retconning established lore for the sake of "fun" and "cinematic conciseness" comes off as "Fuck it, we were too lazy to keep track of our own lore and this is more interesting anyways."

It's the reason I dropped the EU stuff for Halo after finishing the last Forerunner book - they basically thought
Wouldn't it be cool if we brought back 343 Guilty Spark! ZOMG so awesome
. If they can't be bothered to make up cool characters on their own and have to piggyback on existing ones (or in the case of Karen Travis - come up with boring ones who rip on established characters) then what's the point? The fiction isn't interesting if you can't keep it consistent. Next thing you know: they'll retcon it so Chief is actually Halsey's son or something because ZOMG what a twist.

Bungie was partly guilty of this with Reach - trading an amazing backstory on the Spartan program for the sake of their own story. Yes I understand they came up with Halo, but you shouldn't junk something that worked so well just because you have an interesting story to tell. They could have easily made Noble team hop from planet to planet before ending up on Reach and jacking with the canon.

Solidsoul

Banned
The Forerunner trilogy does have a few statements that Humans and Forerunners were originally one species who branched off (due to Primordial influence).

For all i have read i haven seen anywhere that particularly states this. I'm sure you know what you're talking about, but can you link me to where it says this so i have a better understanding?

That being said...that quote does not inspire me with confidence. Retconning established lore for the sake of "fun" and "cinematic conciseness" comes off as "Fuck it, we were too lazy to keep track of our own lore and this is more interesting anyways."

It's the reason I dropped the EU stuff for Halo after finishing the last Forerunner book - they basically thought
Wouldn't it be cool if we brought back 343 Guilty Spark! ZOMG so awesome
. If they can't be bothered to make up cool characters on their own and have to piggyback on existing ones (or in the case of Karen Travis - come up with boring ones who rip on established characters) then what's the point? The fiction isn't interesting if you can't keep it consistent. Next thing you know: they'll retcon it so Chief is actually Halsey's son or something because ZOMG what a twist.

Bungie was partly guilty of this with Reach - trading an amazing backstory on the Spartan program for the sake of their own story. Yes I understand they came up with Halo, but you shouldn't junk something that worked so well just because you have an interesting story to tell. They could have easily made Noble team hop from planet to planet before ending up on Reach and jacking with the canon.

That's really not a fair statement to make in regards to the unfortunate realities of game development; you almost never know that the first game in a series is going to get a sequel, and even if you did, there are certain expectations about how the plot is handled. People expect their games to tell relatively self-contained stories compared to television, books, and even movies. Setting up long-term plots isn't always feasible, and that's before you factor in how gameplay impacts story, or how (in Halo 2's case) a bump in the road may require sudden improvisation. Continuity is less important overall than telling a compelling story; if things have to be retconned, so be it.

Also, how did Reach override the Spartan's origins? I know it screwed up the end of the book a little, but the meat of it is still intact (I thought).

For all i have read i haven seen anywhere that particularly states this. I'm sure you know what you're talking about, but can you link me to where it says this so i have a better understanding?

Hmm, I'll have to dig through my copies again. I was pretty sure the Librarian..or maybe it was one of the Forerunners on the Halo Chakas ended up on - were studying humans because humans resisted the flood. They reasoned that because Forerunner and human were close in the distant past, the immunity or whatever could be gleamed. Admittedly that's a weak connection, but there was something else too. I just can't remember the specific example.

That's really not a fair statement to make in regards to the unfortunate realities of game development; you almost never know that the first game in a series is going to get a sequel, and even if you did, there are certain expectations about how the plot is handled. People expect their games to tell relatively self-contained stories compared to television, books, and even movies. Setting up long-term plots isn't always feasible, and that's before you factor in how gameplay impacts story, or how (in Halo 2's case) a bump in the road may require sudden improvisation. Continuity is less important overall than telling a compelling story; if things have to be retconned, so be it.

While your argument is reasonable, it doesn't fly once you get past the third game. MS and 343 know that Halo will continue - and they commission books and comics to help flesh out the story. Ripping on older characters like Halsey, or changing key plot points (Cryptum books do a huge disservice to humanity with whole "ancient humans" thing) is just lazy. They know Halo as a series will go on, there's no need to retread on things that have come before.

Also, how did Reach override the Spartan's origins? I know it screwed up the end of the book a little, but the meat of it is still intact (I thought).

My main problem with Reach is the fact that it brings Spartan IIIs into the picture without considering the ramifications.

1. Jorge is a Spartan II - he knows good and well the other members can't be since the first group was so small...and yet he doesn't question it.

2. Halsey doesn't question it. Halsey is shown in the novels to be incredibly curious, going to great lengths to figure out a mystery (the ruins under Reach in First Strike for example). She also knows that no new Spartan program should exist - and yet she seems totally fine with these random Spartans who are clearly not ones she made. She wouldn't just sit back and let that go.

3. This is more to do with the novel versus the game - but Reach implies that the battle for the planet went on for days - while in Fall of Reach it was a surprise attack which overwhelmed the UNSC in less than a day. This creates a paradox since if the rest of the Spartan IIs were in system (as Fall of Reach states) - they sure wouldn't have just sat around listening to a briefing while the Winter Contingency was in full effect and the Covenant were rampaging across the planet. Fall of Reach also does a much better job of commenting on the actual battle. Reach is the UNSC's primary base, with hundreds of warships and defenses - the odds of a Covenant strike team sneaking on to the planet are nill - unless they have some stealth technology we never see used in universe ever again. Reach the game does a bad job of making Reach seem important.

4. The Pillar of Autumn was in space during the battle in the novel, and Cortana was already on board helping to run the ship. The Chief and the rest of the Spartans were split up to help deal with the attack. Reach would have you believe Cortana was on the planet (a direct contradiction) along with the Pillar of Autumn - with the Chief being kept in stasis for...some reason. Bungie is fine with the Chief being the last Spartan alive, but they seem to forget how he got there (IE the Sparants being split up while still in SPACE). Not to mention the utter stupidity of keeping the Chief in cryo while the battle is still going on.

5. The Discovery of Halo - This is handled very poorly in Reach - the ruins Halsey found just magically point to something and Cortana knows how to get there. In Fall of Reach, Cortana uses astronomical data gleamed from samples the Covenant collected to pinpoint the location of something the enemy is interested in. She has to make a blind jump anyways per the Cole Protocol, so why not check it out? Again, this makes sense because she's already on the Autumn...in space.

Hmm, I'll have to dig through my copies again. I was pretty sure the Librarian..or maybe it was one of the Forerunners on the Halo Chakas ended up on - were studying humans because humans resisted the flood. They reasoned that because Forerunner and human were close in the distant past, the immunity or whatever could be gleamed. Admittedly that's a weak connection, but there was something else too. I just can't remember the specific example.

While your argument is reasonable, it doesn't fly once you get past the third game. MS and 343 know that Halo will continue - and they commission books and comics to help flesh out the story. Ripping on older characters like Halsey, or changing key plot points (Cryptum books do a huge disservice to humanity with whole "ancient humans" thing) is just lazy. They know Halo as a series will go on, there's no need to retread on things that have come before.

My main problem with Reach is the fact that it brings Spartan IIIs into the picture without considering the ramifications.

1. Jorge is a Spartan II - he knows good and well the other members can't be since the first group was so small...and yet he doesn't question it.

2. Halsey doesn't question it. Halsey is shown in the novels to be incredibly curious, going to great lengths to figure out a mystery (the ruins under Reach in First Strike for example). She also knows that no new Spartan program should exist - and yet she seems totally fine with these random Spartans who are clearly not ones she made. She wouldn't just sit back and let that go.

3. This is more to do with the novel versus the game - but Reach implies that the battle for the planet went on for days - while in Fall of Reach it was a surprise attack which overwhelmed the UNSC in less than a day. This creates a paradox since if the rest of the Spartan IIs were in system (as Fall of Reach states) - they sure wouldn't have just sat around listening to a briefing while the Winter Contingency was in full effect and the Covenant were rampaging across the planet. Fall of Reach also does a much better job of commenting on the actual battle. Reach is the UNSC's primary base, with hundreds of warships and defenses - the odds of a Covenant strike team sneaking on to the planet are nill - unless they have some stealth technology we never see used in universe ever again. Reach the game does a bad job of making Reach seem important.

4. The Pillar of Autumn was in space during the battle in the novel, and Cortana was already on board helping to run the ship. The Chief and the rest of the Spartans were split up to help deal with the attack. Reach would have you believe Cortana was on the planet (a direct contradiction) along with the Pillar of Autumn - with the Chief being kept in stasis for...some reason. Bungie is fine with the Chief being the last Spartan alive, but they seem to forget how he got there (IE the Sparants being split up while still in SPACE). Not to mention the utter stupidity of keeping the Chief in cryo while the battle is still going on.

5. The Discovery of Halo - This is handled very poorly in Reach - the ruins Halsey found just magically point to something and Cortana knows how to get there. In Fall of Reach, Cortana uses astronomical data gleamed from samples the Covenant collected to pinpoint the location of something the enemy is interested in. She has to make a blind jump anyways per the Cole Protocol, so why not check it out? Again, this makes sense because she's already on the Autumn...in space.

Good points on Reach; I'd realized most of that, but I hadn't picked up on the Halsey and Jorge points.

One thing I didn't bring up (which I meant to, but I messed up) was that if you're inheriting a series, there's another set of issues. You need to work out where you're going to go, and you need to do it in a way you find compelling; if the developers aren't into the story, how can the players be? So some changes have to be made. And that's not considering the impact if you're picking up a canon that wasn't terribly carefully tended to in the first place (and let's face it, as much as we love 1-Reach, Bungie wasn't terribly careful about continuity). That's another area that may necessitate changes, so you can get the whole thing on a firm foundation.

Humans are forerunners vs. humans are inheritors of the mantle is kind of a subtle distinction, when you get down to it; both methods work in the framework already established, though the latter admittedly runs counter to the face-value of the hints Bungie had been dropping.

Halsey is kind of another issue in and of herself. I feel she was very well handled in Spartan Ops, where her portrayal gains a lot of nuance. Nylund kind of gave her preferential treatment, when you stop and think about it. Calling her out on that isn't the worst thing in the world, but you can still tell she cares about "her" Spartans. The rage when she discovers John was still alive and she hadn't been told was very well done. The issues arise with Karin Traviss, who did the same thing she does with every property she gets her hands on: form an opinion, and reshape the world to reflect that opinion. Halsey is now Satan, and everyone knows it, and will exposit about it at great lengths. But like I said, her treatment in the game was pretty good.

Fuchsdh

Talking about all of this (Bungie's intent, 343's stewardship, Traviss' books) hinge a bit on what you term "reshaping". Traviss told the stories she wanted to tell, with some bits thrown in to tie stuff into Halo 4; honestly I think the issues people have with it have a lot more to do with miscalibrated expectations (which, to be fair, Microsoft sort of initially set up.)

Bungie was unapologetically about gameplay over story. I think most people you polled on NeoGAF would agree with that, but to me it's always felt like a cop-out; you really saying that you couldn't have told a campaign's worth of story within the confines of The Fall of Reach? Hell all the fans came up with pretty airtight modifications to the story just by modifying timestamps.

343 seems far more angled towards the story side of things, which I think is largely good. They treat the novels as equal parts of the universe rather than castaways (although there's always room for improvement in that investment-- *cough* *cough* Escalation art.) But they were rightly criticized for the confluence of events that rendered the full understand of Halo 4's story incomprehensible to a segment of their audience. Even if you followed the EU, if you played Halo 4 you wouldn't even know which Didact you were facing, for instance. Silentium made so much of Halo 4 make much more sense... but we had to wait months after the game shipped for that crucial background information.

So in terms of moving forward I do think 343 has to learn from Bungie's economy of storytelling--making sure the basics are there and making the story clear through conciseness. There's so many hooks in the game that will make people want to go deeper if you let them; but to a degree you do have to make the game work for the low denominator first.

As for the comment about humans and Forerunners possibly sharing a common ancestor, it's stated in Cryptum.

I agree that the core story for Halo 4 was seriously dependent on the books and other expanded universe materials.. but as someone who has read all of them, I really appreciated it.

I do think there should be some happy medium where your casual joe game is not required to take a 3 days course on Halo lore to understand the game, but I also applaud 343i for treating their hardcore fans with respect.

I devour anything Halo-related it seems, and cannot wait for the info we get ahead of Halo 5. This universe has supplanted Star Wars for me. I feel there are plenty of stories to tell, and 343i seems like the perfect company to do it.

Anyone else getting psyched for Wednesday? Next Escalation issue, but more so we see the return of the Chief. :D

I was already psyched for Wednesday (Destiny beta), but damned if this doesn't make it even better.

Shame they haven't managed to find a decent artist, though.

Ugh, we need a new page... Too long to scroll through mobile.

I hope we at least get a trailer for Nightfall. Maybe even a glimpse at Halo The Television Series (or at least a confirmation they are filming and it'll start in 2015).

Korten

Banned
Ugh, we need a new page... Too long to scroll through mobile.

I hope we at least get a trailer for Nightfall. Maybe even a glimpse at Halo The Television Series (or at least a confirmation they are filming and it'll start in 2015).

Is the show still going ahead even with the recent layoffs?

Is the show still going ahead even with the recent layoffs?

All currently planned programing with continue, it's just that no new projects will be added. I think all the Halo stuff is/was an exception to the other programing, though, since it's handled by 343 and not Xbox Entertainment Studios. The official quote from the press release was "...and of course, the upcoming game franchise series 'Halo: Nightfall,' and the 'Halo' Television series which will continue as planned with 343 Industries."

Korten

Banned
All currently planned programing with continue, it's just that no new projects will be added. I think all the Halo stuff is/was an exception though, since it's handled by 343 and not Xbox Entertainment Studios. The official quote from the press release was "...and of course, the upcoming game franchise series 'Halo: Nightfall,' and the 'Halo' Television series which will continue as planned with 343 Industries."

Sweetness. :D

Can't wait for Nightfall, should be pretty awesome. Just hope it won't be hard for us without an XBO to watch it.

Sweetness. :D

Can't wait for Nightfall, should be pretty awesome. Just hope it won't be hard for us without an XBO to watch it.

They made it sound like Nightfall can be accessed through different mediums. I think SmartGlass and Waypoint were mentioned. As for letting people without the game watch it, it's possible they'll just be timed releases on the MCC, and will be added for free streaming a month or so later. And I guarantee you they will sell a physical retail copy in Spring 2015, like Forward Unto Dawn.

Top Bottom