• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Lore Thread

I'm not doubting your assumption at all, but to further add to that what are the main reasons you think their return is all but guaranteed?

Do you think it will be a solid mix of them and elites/grunts/hunters/jackals again?

I apologize but I've looked and I can no longer find the interview. It was a post-Halo 4 interview, either Bonnie Ross or Kiki Wolfkill I can't remember who, but I remember one of the 343i boss-women mentioned a brief blurb about the Promethean faction and how they spent a lot of time fleshing them out as a race/society and that they would return in the future. I don't have any lore-related reasons to back it up, aside from the War Sphinxey bird thing from the E3 trailer being somewhat reminiscent, though. I will keep looking and if I find that interview some time I will post it. I swear I'm not imagining it, haha!

If they do return, I sincerely hope they've revisited the mechanics of them. I don't mind their existence from a lore perspective, but they just aren't anywhere near as fun to fight as the Covenant or even the Flood for that matter. I enjoy the two factions duking it out on the inner-Requiem level, though, I've always liked those 3-way scenarios in Halo.

naeS

Anyone else getting psyched for Wednesday? Next Escalation issue, but more so we see the return of the Chief. :D

Quick question, little OT, where is the best place to buy these comics? This has me excited now and I want to pick these up.

Quick question, little OT, where is the best place to buy these comics? This has me excited now and I want to pick these up.

I wouldn't. Thus far, Escalation has been pretty terrible, and it doesn't look like it's going to directly impact the next few issues (other than maybe a few callbacks). I'd just read a plot synopsis.

If you're determined though, you can try here. Your local shop should have at least a few of the issues, and they can order the rest.

Alternatively, Amazon.

Korten

Banned

If you want to get into them I would say if you want to buy them you can...

http://www.darkhorse.com/Search/Halo

You can get each digital issue, not very expensive. And unlike the poster above me, I don't think Escalation has been terrible. Great? Amazing? No not really? Decent, or the very least good? Yeah. It's been giving us a good idea of the universe post-Halo 4 and has been fleshing out other characters that got introduced in 4 but didn't get to see that much spot light.

The next 3 issues should be vital, as they show what the Chief was doing right after the events of Halo 4 to which we know nothing about, only that he eventually "vanished."

naeS

I wouldn't. Thus far, Escalation has been pretty terrible, and it doesn't look like it's going to directly impact the next few issues (other than maybe a few callbacks). I'd just read a plot synopsis.

If you're determined though, you can try here. Your local shop should have at least a few of the issues, and they can order the rest.

Alternatively, Amazon.

Thanks!

If you want to get into them I would say if you want to buy them you can...

http://www.darkhorse.com/Search/Halo

You can get each digital issue, not very expensive. And unlike the poster above me, I don't think Escalation has been terrible. Great? Amazing? No not really? Decent, or the very least good? Yeah. It's been giving us a good idea of the universe post-Halo 4 and has been fleshing out other characters that got introduced in 4 but didn't get to see that much spot light.

The next 3 issues should be vital, as they show what the Chief was doing right after the events of Halo 4 to which we know nothing about, only that he eventually "vanished."

I have all of the books and most of the comics and graphic novels thus far, I knew Escalation was going on, was just avoiding it until it finished. But if it is going to start filling some gaps between 4 and 5, I want. Thanks.

With Escalation being an on-going, there's no time like the present to pick em up. If you're waiting for the trade paperback collections, I think Vol 1 comes out this month or next. Only have issues 1-8 I think.

Just read it. Writing's good, and y'all have covered most of the good plot points, but I think it bears repeating that they really do have to find a new art team ASAP. This is just... bad, to the point that it actually hurts the story telling.

Danny 117

Holy shit at the above. That speech at the end of Halo 4 could be in the present now. Ahhhh Halo 5 is gonna be a long wait. Can't they do a second season of Spartan Ops or something? Ugh lol.

If the Didact's alive and well on Gamma Halo with full access to his tech and wants everything dead, why doesn't he just activate the array and lock up in a Shield World until it passes?

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
If the Didact's alive and well on Gamma Halo with full access to his tech and wants everything dead, why doesn't he just activate the array and lock up in a Shield World until it passes?

Your mistake here is assuming Didact wants everything dead. IHe's never wanted that. He wanted to prove that he alone was worthy of the Mantle and to demonstrate this he wanted to enslave humanity as his warrior servants - not only proving they weren't worthy, but that humanity wasn't even capable of defending itself against a single enemy.

Of course, with his defeat, and the loss of the Composer, it's logical that Didact may have to re-evaluate his position. However, considering his clearly swollen ego, I doubt he's ready to admit defeat just yet.

I wouldn't be surprised he had a chip on his shoulder regarding the one human that managed to stop him.

I can't believe
Black Team
was killed.
Four Spartan II's
annihilated. HAD to be the Didact.

Click below to see the carnage.

Lord have mercy!

This is dark!

dat decapitation tho

Here's how I'm expecting a worst-case scenario to go leading up to Halo 5:

Chief and Blue Team along with a small platoon of Marine forces and UNSC tech muscle their way through a Forerunner stronghold on Gamma Halo and come face-to-face with the Didact. Didact kills all of Blue Team with ease, force-chokes Chief so hard it critically damages his armor and he can't fight in it. The Didact bashes Chief's fookin ead in (sware on his mum) damaging his helmet, and uses his refined constraint field abilities to fling Chief and a small quantity of UNSC wreckage through a portal, abandoning him on the ruins of the now-damaged Ark. Chief ditches the majority of his armor but keeps his helmet so he'll have a place for Cortana to stay and makes a poncho out of some tattered tarp that was surrounding some ammo crates that flung through the portal with him.

Keep in mind this ALL takes place in Escalation.

Then, the E3 2013 trailer is the cold open to Halo 5, with next to no prologue with a few snippets about what went on in Escalation revealed through split-second Terminal flashbacks.

i was hoping theyd redesign the prometheans or scrap them alltogether

are they present in escalation ?

Yup. They don't seem to be going anywhere, either. Honestly, not sure I see the problem with their design; when you see how they worked in the Halo 4 terminals, it makes a lot of sense, and even to the uninitiated they look pretty badass.

Pollux

Hold on, there's more out of game shit that I have to read to understand what's going on in Halo 5?

What the fuck? This was already stupid in 4 but now they're actually putting relevant information and plot in comics that I'll have to read to understand what's happening in 5?

bidguy

Banned
Hold on, there's more out of game shit that I have to read to understand what's going on in Halo 5?

What the fuck? This was already stupid in 4 but now they're actually putting relevant information and plot in comics that I'll have to read to understand what's happening in 5?

cool your jets we dont know how they handle this in h5. maybe in an opening sequence ?

Fuchsdh

Hope you're right. But base on how they've handled Halo 4 I'm not hopeful.

I know they said they leaned, but we shall see.

Patience, grasshopper. Plenty of time to get mad if and when that comes to be.

My question is exactly why the Composer was so embedded into Gamma Halo in the first place. Was it essentially the research project of whoever was on the ring? And who says the Didact is actually on Gamma Halo? The portal could lead basically anywhere.

The hellchasm of souls is pretty far out there, and doesn't exactly feel like a "feature" of the tech. Are they essentially trapped in "limbo" until someone stores them like in the containers on Requiem?

As for Black Team, they were always kind of annoying to me. If you have to kill some Spartans, I'd rather it be the guys with roman numerals on their faces :p

Overdoziz

Banned
m6l2N2J.gif

bidguy

Banned
whos making the art for escalation ? damn its fucking awful

edit: human storage in #8 looked freaky though hope we see some crazy cgi action on that one

Trey

Hope you're right. But base on how they've handled Halo 4 I'm not hopeful.

I know they said they leaned, but we shall see.

They put everything the Master Chief did from the end of Halo 2 through the beginning of Halo 3 in a comic.

Stuff like this is nothing new. Just bridging the gaps between games. Just this time, I hope all the in-game material can stand up on its own.

They put everything the Master Chief did from the end of Halo 2 through the beginning of Halo 3 in a comic.

Stuff like this is nothing new. Just bridging the gaps between games. Just this time, I hope all the in-game material can stand up on its own.

Didn't Uprising have a shitton of delays, too?

I remember the Halo Graphic Novel also clarified some things from the games, like Johnson's Spartan-I-induced Boren's Syndrome from the Paris Spoof plasma radiation story actually being a coverup behind the fact that he was just so badass in 343 Guilty Spark (level) he just fought his way out and found a Pelican to escape with.

LordOfChaos

You didn't just...Post the last panel of a comic that came out in the last 24 hours, without removing the image preview and warning what it was, did you...? Because...Don't do that.

I know it's spoilers galore in this thread, but that's for established lore, not for something that just came out. The image could have been linked rather than embedded.

Korten

Banned

Hey, can you please remove the image from your post? I know this thread will be full of spoilers, but for people just casually viewing and since the material is brand spanking new, kind of seems mean to spoil it.

Anyway...

Updated the main post of the thread and...

Amazing issue! :D

Can't wait for the next one.

Also can't wait for MrGreencastle's post.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Spartan Black Team

Spartan Blue Team - Fredric, Kelly and Linda.

Escalation #8 is a real fan pleaser. Holy poop.

I take that back.

They killed
Black Team
off camera. FFS.

BIG ASS SPOILER, POSSIBLE HALO 5 RELATED

Didact is confirmed alive and well, he's been hiding on Gamma Halo

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b177/iamnotevilness/didact_zps1290db55.png

I can't believe
Black Team
was killed.
Four Spartan II's
annihilated. HAD to be the Didact.

Click below to see the carnage.

Lord have mercy!

This is dark!

So wait. Does this mean that
Fred, Linda and Kelly are dead?

jem0208

Regarding the Halo Nightfall tease.

This "element". Could it be the first human's "cure" to the Flood? That was designed to kill humans as a way to remove the Flood's source of bodies. Is that right? Could the Forerunners discovered this and have it stored on their ring only to be discovered later?

I asked this in the HaloGAF thread but I thought this would be a good place to put it too.

Nevermind, I'm talking rubbish.

Regarding the Halo Nightfall tease.

This "element". Could it be the first human's "cure" to the Flood? That was designed to kill humans as a way to remove the Flood's source of bodies. Is that right? Could the Forerunners discovered this and have it stored on their ring only to be discovered later?

I asked this in the HaloGAF thread but I thought this would be a good place to put it too.

I might be misremembering, but I think it said in one of the books that according to the Primordial/Gravemind, the "cure" didn't actually work; the Flood let the humans go, effectively.

jem0208

I might be misremembering, but I think it said in one of the books that according to the Primordial/Gravemind, the "cure" didn't actually work; the Flood let the humans go, effectively.

Yeah, I remember that too. I thought what the humans did was kill off a load of their population to remove the source of a bunch of flood hosts. I was completely wrong though :3

Fuchsdh

Keep in mind we only have the Primordial's word for what went down. According to him the Flood is a test to see who is worthy of the Mantle; humanity was spared for "later judgement", but the Forerunner were found unworthy.

The other information we have says that the humans found a cure that essentially required feeding a massive portion of their population to the Flood to stop it.

I really don't know which to believe, honestly. It makes sense to believe the Primordial in that why would they bring it up if it weren't important for the future (and 343 has been pushing the Mantle), but on the other hand the Graveminds certainly like speaking "selectively" when it furthers their interest, and the Primordial had no incentive to actually tell the truth.

Korten

Banned
MrGreencastle... Where are you? D: Really want to hear his thoughts on the newest
issue and possible theories. :D

Edit: Also do you guys want me to change Locke's image? Currently it's his "present" armor, but not sure if I should change
it to the images we have of him in Nightfall.

MrGreencastle... Where are you? D: Really want to hear his thoughts on the newest
issue and possible theories. :D

Edit: Also do you guys want me to change Locke's image? Currently it's his "present" armor, but not sure if I should change
it to the images we have of him in Nightfall.

I'm too busy playing Destiny! Gotta get those hours in before it's gone! :p

I have some stuff I'm working on, and I read the comic last night so I'll put my thoughts together within a few days. Though I'm going on vacation on Monday, so there's that haha

I forgot can you link embed Youtube videos on GAF or just link them? Cause I'm debating how I want to add the trailer to the main post.

I don't think so, but you could make a small gif maybe of a interesting part in the trailer, and have the gif be a clickable link and a title/description. Or just use one of the promotional images?

I'm really worried about the fate of
blue team, being as they are currently with the Master Chief in Escalation.
We know that Chief is alone on what appears to be the Ark in the Halo 5 trailer, and it looks like he barely survived his last fight, based on the visor. If Master Chief loses
blue team in a fight against the Distract,
the man will be completely broken. He'll have lost everything he ever knew or cared for...
except for Halsey.

I'm really pissed that they wasted the reintroduction of
blue team
in a comic.
There's absolutely no sense of reunion when they see John. It's thrown away in 2 or 3 speech bubbles. If they kill blue team before they are ever properly introduced in the main series or a spinoff title,
I'll never forgive 343.

Caayn

I forgot can you link embed Youtube videos on GAF or just link them? Cause I'm debating how I want to add the trailer to the main post.
You can't, it's automatically embed on the mobile site for me. But that's probably my mobile browser doing that :p

As MrGreenCastle suggested making a small gif that links to the trailer seems like the best option.

An element that selectively kills humans? Have we ever come across such a thing in the lore?
We know that Chief is alone on what appears to be the Ark in the Halo 5 trailer, and it looks like he barely survived his last fight, based on the visor. If Master Chief loses
the man will be completely broken. He'll have lost everything he ever knew or cared for...
except for Halsey.

blue team
in a comic.
There's absolutely no sense of reunion when they see John. It's thrown away in 2 or 3 speech bubbles. If they kill blue team before they are ever properly introduced in the main series or a spinoff title,
I'll never forgive 343.
It wouldn't surprise me if MC is the only Spartan II left standing, not counting Naomi, when Halo 5's story starts. 343i has been pushing the Spartan IVs after all. ( I really hope that this won't be the case.)

There's still plenty of options left such as MC breaking up before he goes on his search/quest/mission/etc.

Munki

except for Halsey.

blue team
in a comic.
I'll never forgive 343.

except for Halsey.

blue team
in a comic.
I'll never forgive 343.

Well, since
Blue Team
was introduced in the books, it seems OK that they be killed off in extended fiction. If they got killed off in the 5th game, people who only played the games wouldn't have any idea who they are or why they're relevant.

Personally I'd rather they stick around, but like others said, there is a lot of material to cover between this comic and Halo 5. I like the developments in this issue, and am really curious how they'll handle the intro to Halo 5.

Solidsoul

Banned
I've seen this theory on more than one occasion, and I myself have thought it from time to time. Are we all speculating that...

Master Chief has the Geas of Bornstellar Makes Eternal Lasting?

Because this seems to make more and more sense every time i read deeper into Halo lore.

Thoughts on that?

I've seen this theory on more than one occasion, and I myself have thought it from time to time. Are we all speculating that...

Master Chief has the Geas of Bornstellar Makes Eternal Lasting?

Because this seems to make more and more sense every time i read deeper into Halo lore.

Thoughts on that?

I'm not 100%, but I don't think the Geas for humans work like that. They're more like a set of instructions than
a personality copy,
aren't they? Like how Halsey has the necessary instructions for stuff like the Spartan program and the Mjolnir armor; it influences her thinking and her direction in life, but it's not like she's
carrying some ancient Forerunner around in her head.

Top Bottom