• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Lore Thread

Fuchsdh

Halo: Escalation is close to revealing what I think is the opening of Halo 5.

Either Jul M'dama or Halsey will release a new batch of Forerunners and thus awakening the Guardians, don't you think? Find it a little disappointing that they don't tell us how Halsey shut down that Forerunner AI.

Also, I believe one of those 2 Elites is this one:

Probably the imprisoned one (forgot his name), because Ayit has blue armor and gives him the red helmet.

Given that whats-his-face was leading an uprising against Jul in part because of his close relationship with Halsey and perceived lack of piety, I doubt it's him. Could just be Ayit—the armor's red, not blue, but it's also the style of an Elite Minor rather than the Zealot armor whats-his-name was given.

I believe based on screenshots the Swords of Sanghelios appear to have this paint scheme on their armor, so it could also be one of them (or Ayit is working with the Swords by this point.)

Yeah I'd certainly like to know how she shut
the AI down. Isn't that basically an equivalent of Mendicant Bias? I get that Halsey is smart.. but.. ?
I liked the art in this one more than usual.. and it read very fast as well. I think this whole arc has been done very well.

It does make sense that
they unleash or release something that puts the Guardians in motion. Perhaps her tampering with the AI has repercussions? I wonder if there was any truth to that species having Flood resistance? That was the alien species we saw in Nightfall wasn't it?

So there are two more issues for the arc.. which means we won't actually get the resolution until AFTER Halo 5 drops.

Cover art for the last issue:

312px-Halo_Escalation_24.jpg

""The Absolute Record: Part 6" — The fugitive Dr. Catherine Halsey makes her final, defiant stand against Spartan Commander Palmer in the explosive conclusion of this epic six-part chapter of the Halo® saga by Duffy Boudreau (BlackAcre) and Douglas Franchin (Person of Interest)."

We know that by the end of Escalation Halsey still has to be with Jul.. and somewhere that's NOT the absolute record. Do we know how much time has passed between where we are now in Escalation and Halo 5?

the AI down. Isn't that basically an equivalent of Mendicant Bias? I get that Halsey is smart.. but.. ?
I liked the art in this one more than usual.. and it read very fast as well. I think this whole arc has been done very well.

It does make sense that
they unleash or release something that puts the Guardians in motion. Perhaps her tampering with the AI has repercussions? I wonder if there was any truth to that species having Flood resistance? That was the alien species we saw in Nightfall wasn't it?

So there are two more issues for the arc.. which means we won't actually get the resolution until AFTER Halo 5 drops.

""The Absolute Record: Part 6" — The fugitive Dr. Catherine Halsey makes her final, defiant stand against Spartan Commander Palmer in the explosive conclusion of this epic six-part chapter of the Halo® saga by Duffy Boudreau (BlackAcre) and Douglas Franchin (Person of Interest)."

We know that by the end of Escalation Halsey still has to be with Jul.. and somewhere that's NOT the absolute record. Do we know how much time has passed between where we are now in Escalation and Halo 5?
I think it will end a few days before Halo 5? The Janus Key storyline was already in Mid 2558.

shoreu

It does make sense that

That AI could possibly be
offensive bias, maybe she figured out his word to shut him down.

Grisby

So I just finished reading all of the Greg Bear novels. Wow, what a lot to wrap your head around. I was all awwww snap when they revealed that
Chakas was Guilty Spark

I'm slowly trying to get through all of the hunt for truth season one stuff, but I wish there was a podcast that put them all together that I could get for my runs.

Also, I read one of the newer novels, but the Buck one doesn't seem to be out for paperback.

Also, also, are they going to explain how MC and the rest of Blue team joined up? They really need to. I'm trying to get my hands on the Blue team novel as we speak, is it covered in that?

So I just finished reading all of the Greg Bear novels. Wow, what a lot to wrap your head around. I was all awwww snap when they revealed that
Chakas was Guilty Spark

I'm slowly trying to get through all of the hunt for truth season one stuff, but I wish there was a podcast that put them all together that I could get for my runs.

Also, I read one of the newer novels, but the Buck one doesn't seem to be out for paperback.

Also, also, are they going to explain how MC and the rest of Blue team joined up? They really need to. I'm trying to get my hands on the Blue team novel as we speak, is it covered in that?

You're in luck! Hunt the Truth SEASON ONE SUPERCUT!

https://soundcloud.com/huntthetruth/hunt-the-truth-season-one-supercut

Blue Team reunion is loosely handled in the Escalation comic books, under "The Next 72 Hours" comic arc. I think it was 3 or 4 issues. It's not very in depth, but it's likely important.

The Blue Team novel takes place while 117 is space-napping, so he's not involved. It does touch on some other things though, and I really enjoyed it.

New Blood isn't out in print yet.. neither is the Stinklez book.. Broken Circle was good, but I am not clear on how it's going to impact the universe going forward yet.

Grisby

You're in luck! Hunt the Truth SEASON ONE SUPERCUT!

https://soundcloud.com/huntthetruth/hunt-the-truth-season-one-supercut

Blue Team reunion is loosely handled in the Escalation comic books, under "The Next 72 Hours" comic arc. I think it was 3 or 4 issues. It's not very in depth, but it's likely important.

The Blue Team novel takes place while 117 is space-napping, so he's not involved. It does touch on some other things though, and I really enjoyed it.

New Blood isn't out in print yet.. neither is the Stinklez book.. Broken Circle was good, but I am not clear on how it's going to impact the universe going forward yet.
Nice, thanks.

I'll see if I can track down the Escalation deal then. It's kind of crazy how long I;ve been in the Halo universe. Still have my original copy of Fall of Reach that's worn down from how it got passed around from friend to friend in High School.

On that note, I wish Eric Nyuland would come back and write something. I;m curious to see if Staten is going to do a new novel too.
Love the avatar.

Fuchsdh

That AI could possibly be
offensive bias, maybe she figured out his word to shut him down.

I'm presuming that at some point, if she shut down Offensive Bias it means he's still testing them. I can't imagine her staying a step ahead of one of the most formidable constructs in the galaxy for very long.

I'm presuming that at some point, if she shut down Offensive Bias it means he's still testing them. I can't imagine her staying a step ahead of one of the most formidable constructs in the galaxy for very long.

This. Halsey is clever, but Offensive Bias is... just on a whole 'nother level.

On that note, I wish Eric Nyuland would come back and write something. I;m curious to see if Staten is going to do a new novel too.

You're in luck!

300px-HSOI-Cover.jpg

http://www.halopedia.org/Halo:_Shadow_of_Intent

Maybe she fails the test and that awakens the Guardians?

Shit Zyrain, you sure you're not some kind of Forerunner yourself? Given me all the answers I seek today.

It's been a very exciting year for Halo fans.. 343i has gone overboard with new content in the lead up for Halo 5. It's awesome.

Hope next year is half as good!

Fuchsdh

True, but is he creative enough to remove his weakness like mendicant did?

What was Mendicant Bias' weakness, really? At some point I don't think you can have hyper intelligence without free will, and it was that capacity to go against the Forerunners that proved their downfall.

shoreu

What was Mendicant Bias' weakness, really? At some point I don't think you can have hyper intelligence without free will, and it was that capacity to go against the Forerunners that proved their downfall.

All AI above Archon Level(Don't quote me on the level I just know Contenders have them) had a real name that if they were called by it they were destroyed. Mendicant Bias kinda removed his but it still caused him to pause for a second.

Toa TAK

Banned

It does make sense that

Finally. It's going down, baby.

Fuchsdh

All AI above Archon Level(Don't quote me on the level I just know Contenders have them) had a real name that if they were called by it they were destroyed. Mendicant Bias kinda removed his but it still caused him to pause for a second.

Where are you getting that detail? I'm pretty sure the Didact was just trying to demonstrate his authority, not to destroy MB.

Halo_Cryptum_book_cover.jpg

So just finished the audio book of this (30+ minute commute to work everyday) as I wanted some more context for Halo 4, which I was getting ready to replay and man.... this shit is wonderful!

Well, if you're a Halo fan

Spoilers ahead I suppose

So yeah, we get introduced to the Didact (as well the humans Chaka, Riser, and the other core forerunner, Bornstellar who basically becomes a reincarted Didact at the end) here and wow, I can't believe they left some pretty crucial characterizations outside of the main games (namely Halo4 as I had no idea who the Didact was)....then again, catching up and I guess that's 343's mandate now as far as how they are approaching their lore/canon. I can respect that and what I got here was some super cool Scifi that actually makes the flood somewhat scary again and gives a real sense of just how unstoppable they are.
That and just the sense of implied scale of the universe, Forerunner politics, the Flood's true origins, the Halo rings themselves..... if you're franchise fan, I'd say, along with Fall of Reach, this is probably the most important stuff you can read and it's all legit rad.
Also, praise to Greg Bear's writing style. It flows really well (I mean I'm not a big reader to begin with) and still manages to convey a lot with a little, if you know what I mean.

Anyway, on to Primordium (also listening to this one) which I've already started and I'm loving it even more :)

also.... WTF!? Why was Frank banned!?

shoreu

Where are you getting that detail? I'm pretty sure the Didact was just trying to demonstrate his authority, not to destroy MB.

Maybe I'm confusing the human ai's that have this with him. Didact saying his name did negativity effect him and was mostlikely a fail-safe. I'll re-read that part and come back to you.

Fuchsdh

Maybe I'm confusing the human ai's that have this with him. Didact saying his name did negativity effect him and was mostlikely a fail-safe. I'll re-read that part and come back to you.

Important UNSC AIs most definitely do have failsafe killswitches (was used on Araqiel and Kalmiya after the fall of Reach), although Halo 4 reveals that Cortana managed to disable hers.

Kalentan

also.... WTF!? Why was Frank banned!?

Considering how many times he's been banned... If I had to guess he asked a mod to ban him so he doesn't post and so he can fous on the launch of Halo 5.

I never realized he has 49k posts and posts an average of 12.2 times a day.

Akai__

Given that whats-his-face was leading an uprising against Jul in part because of his close relationship with Halsey and perceived lack of piety, I doubt it's him. Could just be Ayit—the armor's red, not blue, but it's also the style of an Elite Minor rather than the Zealot armor whats-his-name was given.

I believe based on screenshots the Swords of Sanghelios appear to have this paint scheme on their armor, so it could also be one of them (or Ayit is working with the Swords by this point.)

The reason why I think it's the imprisoned Elite is, because Ayit tells him basically that they need a new leader. Now, I don't know if he wants to trick him into something or if he truly wishes for it. Just speculation on my part. Of course it could still be Ayit or a completely different Elite.

Kalentan

Coulda sworn I read that somewhere, huh. Guess it is supposed to be British.

It could still be South African. I swore when I watched the B-roll video it sounded British but when Kelly speaks into Blue Team intro cinematic it doesn't sound British. Then again I'm not exactly too familiar with a South African accent so it probably is lost on me.

greenleafcm

Neo Member
It could still be South African. I swore when I watched the B-roll video it sounded British but when Kelly speaks into Blue Team intro cinematic it doesn't sound British. Then again I'm not exactly too familiar with a South African accent so it probably is lost on me.
Kelly's voice actress, Michelle Lukes, is indeed British. Her accent just isn't as easily heard in the new cinematic as her lines are fairly short, and when Kelly hands the Chief his assault rifle she's speaking softly. There are a few parts in some of the gameplay videos though where it's easier to pick her out by both her accent and tone of voice.

So I'm trying to pin all the available Halo 5 pieces together to see what we know so far.

Spoilers ahead for already released content. Including, but not limited to: ViDocs, Previews, Trailers, Comics, Hunt the Truth, Hunt the Signal, Books, My Imagination,
The Color Purple

You were warned!

So far what do we 'know'?

09-18-2558:

• Halsey & Jul are at the "Absolute Record" doing .. stuff [Halo Escalation Issue 22
  • Spartan Palmer & Crew are also at the "Absolute Record" [Halo Escalation Issue 22]
  • Halsey seemingly disabled Forerunner monitor (VERY likely Offensive Bias) [Halo Escalation Issue 22]

Between then & next known date:

• Halsey & Jul escape to Kamchatka [Halo 5 intro video]
  • Spartan Palmer escapes and ends up likely back on Infinity [Halo 5 intro video]
  • A bunch of Forerunner stuff awakens/arrives/etc [Halo 5 intro video, HTT, etc]
  • A Guardian awakens on Ursa IV, Conrad's Point & 3 other UNSC planets, causing massing destruction. [Hunt the Truth/Halo 5 intro video]
  • Master Chief Spartan-117 & Blue Team attack abandoned ONI research station "Argent Moon". 117 gets a warning that "Meridian is next". [Halo 5 mission video]

10-27-2558:

• The Halo 5 mission "Swords of Sanghelios" takes place with Spartan Locke & Fireteam Osiris. [Xbox released video]
  • Dr. Halsey is apparently still with Jul & or someone else on Sanghelios, as Fireteam Osiris are still trying to get her. [Halo 5 Enemy Lines video]
  • A Guardian awakens on Meridian causing massing destruction. [Xbox TV Ad/Hunt the Truth]
  • According to the UNSC,
    Spartan-117 dies
    on the planet Meridian [Xbox TV Ad/Hunt the Truth]

Unknown date/Where does this fit?:
  • Locke & Fireteam Osiris are tasked with finding/hunting down Spartan-117. [Halo 5 E3 Demo]
  • The Guardian awakens at Sunaion, presumably with 117 on board. [Halo 5 E3 Demo]
  • Dr. Halsey, Spartan Palmer, and Captain Lasky converse with Roland aboard the Infinity about 117. [Halo ViDoc]
  • ONI Agent Maya Sankar lands on UNSC colony Conrad's Point, finds out from NCA that
    Spartan-117 has died.
    [Hunt the Truth]
  • ONI assets detect a "mysterious Forerunner signal" coming from "violent seismic activity" on a "remote human colony". The signal is a Guardian. [Hunt the Signal]

Misc Musings:
  • Is the signal Ilsa Zane & the NCA looking for the same one that we 'found' during the #HUNTtheSIGNAL campaign? Seems likely. It could be used to determine where a Guardian is located?
  • There is a potential that the game is played out of order, like ODST. It seems that the first mission is with Locke on Kamchatka, with the first Blue Team mission happening later. However the Guardians have already awoken on some planets before we even play as 117?
  • Seems odd that Spartan-117 would be on Meridian on 10/27/2558 & Locke & crew are on Sanghelios on the same date.
  • The Battle of Sunaion has the Covenant "almost finished", though from what we see in Swords of Sanghelios, the reverse is true. I presume the Battle of Sunaion takes place AFTER Swords of Sanghelios, and since that would be chronologically AFTER 10/27/2558, 117 must still be alive post the UNSC stated death date. Perhaps the Guardian awakening turns the tide of the battle?
  • Furthermore, while we haven't SEEN 117 at Sunaion, it is heavily implied that he was/is there. So he has to get from Meridian to Sanghelios at some point.
  • Script page seen on new Sprint advertisement seems to show
    Spartan-117 dies somewhere snowy & at the hands of the Warden.

Anything I missed?

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
So I'm trying to pin all the available Halo 5 pieces together to see what we know so far.

Spoilers ahead for already released content. Including, but not limited to: ViDocs, Previews, Trailers, Comics, Hunt the Truth, Hunt the Signal, Books, My Imagination,
The Color Purple

You were warned!

So far what do we 'know'?

09-18-2558:

• Halsey & Jul are at the "Absolute Record" doing .. stuff [Halo 5 intro video]
  • Spartan Palmer & Crew are also at the "Absolute Record" [Halo 5 intro video]
  • Halsey seemingly disabled Forerunner monitor (VERY likely Offensive Bias) [Halo 5 intro video, HTT, etc]

Between then & next known date:

• Halsey & Jul escape to Kamchatka [Halo 5 intro video]
  • Spartan Palmer escapes and ends up likely back on Infinity [Halo 5 intro video]
  • A bunch of Forerunner stuff awakens/arrives/etc [Halo 5 intro video, HTT, etc]
  • A Guardian awakens on Ursa IV, Conrad's Point & 3 other UNSC planets, causing massing destruction. Hunt the Truth/Halo 5 intro video]
  • Master Chief Spartan-117 & Blue Team attack abandoned ONI research station "Argent Moon". 117 gets a warning that "Meridian is next". [Halo 5 mission video]

10-27-2558:

• The Halo 5 mission "Swords of Sanghelios" takes place with Spartan Locke & Fireteam Osiris. [Xbox released video]
  • Dr. Halsey is apparently still with Jul & or someone else on Sanghelios, as Fireteam Osiris are still trying to get her. [Halo 5 Enemy Lines video]
  • A Guardian awakens on Meridian causing massing destruction. [Xbox TV Ad/Hunt the Truth]
  • According to the UNSC,
    Spartan-117 dies
    on the planet Meridian [Xbox TV Ad/Hunt the Truth]

Unknown date/Where does this fit?:
  • Locke & Fireteam Osiris are tasked with finding/hunting down Spartan-117. [Halo 5 E3 Demo]
  • The Guardian awakens at Sunaion, presumably with 117 on board. [Halo 5 E3 Demo]
  • Dr. Halsey, Spartan Palmer, and Captain Lasky converse with Roland aboard the Infinity about 117. [Halo ViDoc]
  • ONI Agent Maya Sankar lands on UNSC colony Conrad's Point, finds out from NCA that
    Spartan-117 has died.
    [Hunt the Truth]
  • ONI assets detect a "mysterious Forerunner signal" coming from "violent seismic activity" on a "remote human colony". The signal is a Guardian. [Hunt the Signal]

Misc Musings:
  • Is the signal Ilsa Zane & the NCA looking for the same one that we 'found' during the #HUNTtheSIGNAL campaign? Seems likely. It could be used to determine where a Guardian is located?
  • There is a potential that the game is played out of order, like ODST. It seems that the first mission is with Locke on Kamchatka, with the first Blue Team mission happening later. However the Guardians have already awoken on some planets before we even play as 117?
  • Seems odd that Spartan-117 would be on Meridian on 10/27/2558 & Locke & crew are on Sanghelios on the same date.
  • The Battle of Sunaion has the Covenant "almost finished", though from what we see in Swords of Sanghelios, the reverse is true. I presume the Battle of Sunaion takes place AFTER Swords of Sanghelios, and since that would be chronologically AFTER 10/27/2558, 117 must still be alive post the UNSC stated death date. Perhaps the Guardian awakening turns the tide of the battle?
  • Furthermore, while we haven't SEEN 117 at Sunaion, it is heavily implied that he was/is there. So he has to get from Meridian to Sanghelios at some point.
  • Script page seen on new Sprint advertisement seems to show
    Spartan-117 dies somewhere snowy & at the hands of the Warden.

Anything I missed?

The TV add states that
John 117 died on Oct 27 2560.
2 years after the current dates....

Monocle

The TV add states that
John 117 died on Oct 27 2560.
2 years after the current dates....
I hope they avoid the obvious
John the Redeemer arc where he's resurrected and turned into a Christ-like figure. I'd rather his death be a total fakeout than the story venture into that well trodden territory.

Deliver us from lame cliches, Fr0nkles.

Something else I was thinking about.. in the recent book, Halo: Last Light (spoilers ahead)...

Fred is involved in a pretty bad hornet crash (among other maladies), and his suit locks up and fills with biofoam or some nonsense. Basically immobilizes him, all his coms gear was shorted out etc. Everyone assumed he was dead, but he was actually conscious most of the time.. and on a wild ride. They didn't find out he was ok until later when they got him out of his armor.

Basically all of that is to say what we saw in the Halo TV ad could clearly (and in fiction) not be fatal. If that's the way things play out in the game, I could see perhaps the UNSC not finding his body right away, because the Guardian (or Sentinels) collected 117 while the dust settled.

shoreu

I hope they avoid the obvious
John the Redeemer arc where he's resurrected and turned into a Christ-like figure. I'd rather his death be a total fakeout than the story venture into that well trodden territory.

Deliver us from lame cliches, Fr0nkles.

I mean we did go to Hell in ODST it's only right we see Heaven.

ryan299

I just finished Last Light. It was pretty good.

I wish kelly and Linda were in it more. I went in thinking they, along with Fred were the stars. I also found Fred to bea bit generic. Other than that I enjoyed it.

Top Bottom