• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Lore Thread

Just finished ce. How come when I started h2 a Locke video played?

Because 343 saw H2A as the main release of that package, and included a tidbit for 5, by showing Locke and Arbiter communicating, giving us a bit more context to what will go down later. It's a small little thing for fans to enjoy.

Yes, it plays automatically when playing campaign. Doesn't use Waypoint at all for those 2 scenes.

Well, it never "used" Waypoint. Originally you had to manually load up Waypoint and look for the cutscene yourself. A lot of people didn't even know it existed at first, lol. Glad they finally fixed it though.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
I would take a closer look at HTT...

Yup, I hadn't been on the site. I see. What games are you playing Frankie....

The people in the actual universe would know that its isn't the year 2560, but it is 2558. I know what the current year is in my reality (2015), so was this an error in actual production (343).....or what game are you playing here? Why would Sullivan have to issue an apology for what is clearly a mistake?

Yup, I hadn't been on the site. I see. What games are you playing Frankie....

The people in the actual universe would know that its isn't the year 2560, but it is 2558. I know what the current year is in my reality (2015), so was this an error in actual production (343).....or what game are you playing here? Why would Sullivan have to issue an apology for what is clearly a mistake?

Think straight: do you really believe 343 and MS would let that production mistake happen? When you rule out the absolute impossibility, the rest however ridiculous, must be true :)

raindoc

H4 was a bit of a bummer for me, story wise. As a big fan of the Greg Bear books (and the Flood in general) I was a bit disappointed by the Didact being the "ancient evil". The Travis books weren't really interesting to me and I wished Halo would stick to it's simple "black an white" formula instead of ONI intrigues, a Sangheili "civil war" etc.
But now, thanks to HTT, I start feeling the love.

That being said - If 343 really do kill off Chief I'll take the USMLE and a job in Seattle. And once Stinkles marches into my office for his prostate exam I'll use no lube.
You hear me? NO LUBE!

I mean we did go to Hell in ODST it's only right we see Heaven.

Helljumper, Helljumper where've you been...

I hope we get some ODSTs to fight alongside with in 5. I need more ODSTs in my life.

In the H2A cutscenes, the other Spartans behind Locke and Arbiter's conversation are not Tanaka, Vale and Buck but stand-ins instead right?

In the H2A cutscenes, the other Spartans behind Locke and Arbiter's conversation are not Tanaka, Vale and Buck but stand-ins instead right?

Pretty sure it's them, but you can't really see enough to tell one way or another I don't think.

From a really quick look, it seems the helmets are similar, the one on the left seems like Vale, then Buck, and then Tanaka. Not sure if the visor colors are right though.

gH5UWLj-1024x547.png

I would imagine Blur had a basic outline of what to do and went with it, things could (and likely did) change between then and now.

I'm curious if the H2A scenes will even be canon.. as we've seen another scene where Locke & Arby have the exchange about hunting 117 and it's not on a ship.

Fuchsdh

Pretty sure it's them, but you can't really see enough to tell one way or another I don't think.

From a really quick look, it seems the helmets are similar, the one on the left seems like Vale, then Buck, and then Tanaka. Not sure if the visor colors are right though.

gH5UWLj-1024x547.png

I would imagine Blur had a basic outline of what to do and went with it, things could (and likely did) change between then and now.

I'm curious if the H2A scenes will even be canon.. as we've seen another scene where Locke & Arby have the exchange about hunting 117 and it's not on a ship.

Presumably they're just flavor like the trailers. At the very least if that scene happens in H5 it'll look drastically different.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

gH5UWLj-1024x547.png

It's them, just changes between when that was made and now.

Erimriv

Halo 5 is 'an epic journey across the galaxy', this galaxy I guess, so we'll have to wait for Halo 6 to see Chief travelling to Path Kethona to find those ancient forerunners.

Halo 5 is 'an epic journey across the galaxy', this galaxy I guess, so we'll have to wait for Halo 6 to see Chief travelling to Path Kethona to find those ancient forerunners.

But Path Kethona was cleansed by a Halo pulse, so they're presumably all gone. That said I suppose it's possible that's where the survivors from the Ark fled to after the full array was fired.

Grisby

Finished Halo Last Light today. Pretty good read! Inspector Veta is a nice addition too.

Also got through Nightfall a few days ago, and man, what a bummer. The opening was alright and the idea of the main movie taking place on a piece of the
Halo ring
should have been neat, but it was just a dark and rocky bore. Forward Unto Dawn felt like it hit all the right notes (just talking about the academy stuff, not MC/and Cortana parts) and I wish they would have continued in that direction. Locke should have been solving some sort of problem in the city or somewhere more visual interesting.

Finished Halo Last Light today. Pretty good read! Inspector Veta is a nice addition too.

Also got through Nightfall a few days ago, and man, what a bummer. The opening was alright and the idea of the main movie taking place on a piece of the
Halo ring
should have been neat, but it was just a dark and rocky bore. Forward Unto Dawn felt like it hit all the right notes (just talking about the academy stuff, not MC/and Cortana parts) and I wish they would have continued in that direction. Locke should have been solving some sort of problem in the city or somewhere more visual interesting.

My take from nightfall was to show lockes new gained resolve he gained from being with the former spartan turned daddy.

Ein Bear

Halo Nightfall was weird. I kept waiting for some twist about what the technology-sensing death worms were, but in the end... They really were just Hunter worms?

Why were there so many? Why were they acting so weird? How did they end up on a broken chunk of Halo ring?

Also the Spartan guy didn't get to do anything cool in the entire thing. What a waste.

Fuchsdh

Partially I let myself down because I expected the surviving thing was going to be Flood and I wanted to see them in live action... but yeah, the Hunter worms just... er, opened a can of worms the series wasn't going to answer. How they survived on the ring, how they could essentially fly through the air, why were they interested in technology where they have never been described as such, let alone capable of homing in on it... and then the questions of what this element was and why it was on the ring, also unanswered.

Akai__

Just realized that Halo Escalation "The Absolute Record" ends on November 25. Even the next issue is being released a day after Halo 5 releases.

Does this mean the next issue will contain spoilers for Halo 5? Is the end of Halo Escalation 22 where Halo 5 begins? This is so weird...

Fuchsdh

Just realized that Halo Escalation "The Absolute Record" ends on November 25. Even the next issue is being released a day after Halo 5 releases.

Does this mean the next issue will contain spoilers for Halo 5? Is the end of Halo Escalation 22 where Halo 5 begins? This is so weird...

I presume it's going to be less spoilery and more akin to the "why is Chief back on earth?" level timeskip from Halo 3. Except we won't have to wait six months to find out the underwhelming story a la Uprising :)

Akai__

I presume it's going to be less spoilery and more akin to the "why is Chief back on earth?" level timeskip from Halo 3. Except we won't have to wait six months to find out the underwhelming story a la Uprising :)

At least we know that Halsey won't be captured by Team Palmer, because the intro cutscene is about Team Osiris getting to Halsey and Jul 'Mdama. Forbes videos also speak about the reunion of Blue Team, so I'm farily convinced, that we will get a very long intro cutscene in Halo 5. Crossing my fingers.

Also, just to be clear, that Forerunner AI... Please tell me that it wasn't Mendicant Bias. What a disappointment that would be... This would also mean, that the Prophets had contact to him before, because he (or something similiar looking) appeared in the Terminals and is being refered to as "mighty dreadnought".

Fuchsdh

At least we know that Halsey won't be captured by Team Palmer, because the intro cutscene is about Team Osiris getting to Halsey and Jul 'Mdama. Forbes videos also speak about the reunion of Blue Team, so I'm farily convinced, that we will get a very long intro cutscene in Halo 5. Crossing my fingers.

Also, just to be clear, that Forerunner AI... Please tell me that it wasn't Mendicant Bias. What a disappointment that would be... This would also mean, that the Prophets had contact to him before, because he (or something similiar looking) appeared in the Terminals and is being refered to as "mighty dreadnought".

If anything it's Offensive Bias. But people are still, years later, hyping up Mendicant Bias' role in the story when it's still highly speculative 343 is interested in doing anything with him.

Fuchsdh

Rampancy is a gradual condition right?

Could he already be going loco?

It's gradual, yeah, but unlikely to be an issue at this point. Saint's Testimony makes it clear that the seven-year lifespan is done for safety tolerances, rather than a definitive point where an AI will degrade.

greenleafcm

Neo Member
It's gradual, yeah, but unlikely to be an issue at this point. Saint's Testimony makes it clear that the seven-year lifespan is done for safety tolerances, rather than a definitive point where an AI will degrade.
Well with BB being a 4th-Gen AI, I wouldn't be surprised if he at least has the potential to function well into the 7-8 year mark before exhibiting any serious signs of rampancy. But of course this remains to be seen, and whether or not he'll even be allowed to exist after his "expiration date" is another matter entiely.

Fuchsdh

Well with BB being a 4th-Gen AI, I wouldn't be surprised if he at least has the potential to function well into the 7-8 year mark before exhibiting any serious signs of rampancy. But of course this remains to be seen, and whether or not he'll even be allowed to exist after his "expiration date" is another matter entiely.

Cortana's shown she's was functional into her eighth year with some caveats, although it's hard to draw any comparisons due to her rather exceptional operating history.

Cortana's shown she's was functional into her eighth year with some caveats, although it's hard to draw any comparisons due to her rather exceptional operating history.

BB might not have had any "field work" to the extent that Cortana had, but he's still responsible for a great deal as far as intelligence work goes. Though who knows if rampancy is the same for all AI or dependent of a variety of factors.

Random17

Halsey speculated that their life spans could be increased using slipspace dimensions. After the discovery of Onyx, I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case with BB.

JimiNutz

Banned
Sorry if this has been asked a million times already but the thread is pretty long and daunting to wade through entirely.

Halo 4 storyline made little sense to me when I originally player through it and I don't want to be in the same situation with Halo 5. I've played all of the main games, have read Fall of Reach, First Strike and Ghost of Onyx and seen Forward Unto Dawn (tried to watch Nightfall but it looked terrible).

Is there anything that I need to read/watch/play/listen to ahead of Halo 5?

I'm looking for the material that is going to help me understand the story.

Random17

Sorry if this has been asked a million times already but the thread is pretty long and daunting to wade through entirely.

Halo 4 storyline made little sense to me when I originally player through it and I don't want to be in the same situation with Halo 5. I've played all of the main games, have read Fall of Reach, First Strike and Ghost of Onyx and seen Forward Unto Dawn (tried to watch Nightfall but it looked terrible).

Is there anything that I need to read/watch/play/listen to ahead of Halo 5?

I'm looking for the material that is going to help me understand the story.
Free:
Halo 4 Spartan Ops cutscenes
Huntthetruth
Halopedia

Not free:
Forerunner saga
Escalation
New Blood
Last Light
Hunters in the Dark
Kilo 5 trilogy

JimiNutz

Banned
Free:
Halo 4 Spartan Ops cutscenes
Huntthetruth
Halopedia

Not free:
Forerunner saga
Escalation
New Blood
Last Light
Hunters in the Dark
Kilo 5 trilogy

Are any of those particularly good?
Ive heard mixed things about both the Forerunner Saga and the Kilo 5 trilogy.

Anything on that list up to the standard of Fall of Reach?

While I want to be prepared to enjoy the games storyline I dont fancy wasting my time on stuff that isn't particularly good.

Glass

While I want to be prepared to enjoy the games storyline I dont fancy wasting my time on stuff that isn't particularly good.

If you were a fan of ODST, you could grab New Blood, its a digital only short novel and dirt cheap, and tells you how Buck becomes the spartan you'll be seeing in 5, and what happened to the rest of the characters from ODST. It won't prepare you for the story, since I'm pretty sure 5 is it's own self contained story, but it's a great read if you ever wondered what a book written by Buck might be like.

Toa TAK

Banned

No, Fall of Reach is still top-tier, with maybe Silentium behind it.

I echo the New Blood praise. It's still my favorite of the bunch.

Random17

Escalation is poor, but Cryptum and Silentium are great.

I'd say Last Light is the best of the bunch of the recent novels. Kilo-5 is okay, I didn't like the events occurring in it, or the character portrayals. The main thing to take away from the Kilo-5 trilogy is ONI and Jul M'dama.

Read Halopedia? Cheapest option.

Toa TAK

Banned
Escalation is poor, but Cryptum and Silentium are great.

I'd say Last Light is the best of the bunch of the recent novels. Kilo-5 is okay, I didn't like the events occurring in it, or the character portrayals. The main thing to take away from the Kilo-5 trilogy is ONI and Jul M'dama.

Read Halopedia? Cheapest option.

Yeah if anything, besides cloing up the story started in GoO, I dug the Kilo-5 stuff for Jul. I root for the dude.

Random17

Yeah if anything, besides cloing up the story started in GoO, I dug the Kilo-5 stuff for Jul. I root for the dude.

I do too. He's the best villain in the Halo franchise since Halo 2's Truth.

Unlike the Infinity's crew, he's resourceful, driven, intelligent, and has outwitted his more powerful opponents in a single campaign more times than we can count.

If he or Halsey dies in Halo 5, which looks likely for at least one of them, then I will be very upset.

shiba5

I dunno. It's a pretty hefty book. Can't imagine it's got great margins. They've also been doing those smaller visual guides which cover similar territory.

There is something really satisfying about leafing through that giant chunk of paper though.

kosmologi

I do too. He's the best villain in the Halo franchise since Halo 2's Truth.

Unlike the Infinity's crew, he's resourceful, driven, intelligent, and has outwitted his more powerful opponents in a single campaign more times than we can count.

If he or Halsey dies in Halo 5, which looks likely for at least one of them, then I will be very upset.

Agreed, Jul is one of the better characters (if not the best) in recent Halo media.

Fuchsdh

There is something really satisfying about leafing through that giant chunk of paper though.

Most definitely, although with the last few Halo novels I've just gone digital, and I'll be doing the same with the games going forward. Just much easier to grab it and read it on the go, and I don't want more stuff cluttering up my living space.

For Forward Unto Dawn it's also much easier to mark pages or passages for referencing later, so it's handier for research.

Agreed, Jul is one of the better characters (if not the best) in recent Halo media.

Well his Covenant faction (which GrimBrother will tell us to not call the Storm, but I refuse!) looks like they'll be toast by the end of H5G, but I'm hoping he escapes shaking his fist and vows to come back and get his revenge or whatnot. He seems too pragmatic to die upon the particular hill we see coming.

Top Bottom