• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Lore Thread

Random17

not[/i] call the Storm, but I refuse!) looks like they'll be toast by the end of H5G, but I'm hoping he escapes shaking his fist and vows to come back and get his revenge or whatnot. He seems too pragmatic to die upon the particular hill we see coming.

Calling them anything other than the Storm is silly, IMO. They are not the Covenant, they are not the Covenant remnant; the word Covenant is meaningless without the Prophets, anyway. The Storm was a suitable name that went with Jul's personality. I'm surprised 343i did not put him into Halo 4's campaign.

And the Prophets are still MIA since Halo 2, barring Truth of course.

Fuchsdh

Calling them anything other than the Storm is silly, IMO. They are not the Covenant, they are not the Covenant remnant; the word Covenant is meaningless without the Prophets, anyway. The Storm was a suitable name that went with Jul's personality. I'm surprised 343i did not put him into Halo 4's campaign.

And the Prophets are still MIA since Halo 2, barring Truth of course.

We got into a hash-out talk about this not long ago on Halo.bungie.org, I think, and the merits and disadvantages of assuming the “Covenant” mantle. I think it works in the sense that you get an idea from the expanded universe that the happy “yay the evil Prophets are gone” quickly gave way to “what the hell are we gonna do now”, and the instability thereafter led to a sort of “Man, at least when the Prophets were lying to us we were getting fed.”

Especially since Jul still positions his forces as inheritors of transcendence through Forerunner gods, it makes sense Jul would assume the “continuation” role, the same as Hitler positioned his government as the Third Reich and the true successor to the glories of Germanic past. But from a practical standpoint as fans, yeah, it’s much easier to say “Storm Covenant” when we’ve got at least three other guys who could have the Covenant moniker just as easy.

Random17

We got into a hash-out talk about this not long ago on Halo.bungie.org, I think, and the merits and disadvantages of assuming the “Covenant” mantle. I think it works in the sense that you get an idea from the expanded universe that the happy “yay the evil Prophets are gone” quickly gave way to “what the hell are we gonna do now”, and the instability thereafter led to a sort of “Man, at least when the Prophets were lying to us we were getting fed.”

Especially since Jul still positions his forces as inheritors of transcendence through Forerunner gods, it makes sense Jul would assume the “continuation” role, the same as Hitler positioned his government as the Third Reich and the true successor to the glories of Germanic past. But from a practical standpoint as fans, yeah, it’s much easier to say “Storm Covenant” when we’ve got at least three other guys who could have the Covenant moniker just as easy.
Telcam comes to mind, but more importantly so do the Brutes. Unlike Telcam, we will see more of them next year, no doubt.

I'm really happy to see the advancements made in the REQ items, for initially I was convinced that the Prophets took the technology and the knowledge of the Covenant with them. The REQ items prove that the Elites are still capable of advancement on their own.

Fuchsdh

Telcam comes to mind, but more importantly so do the Brutes. Unlike Telcam, we will see more of them next year, no doubt.

I'm really happy to see the advancements made in the REQ items, for initially I was convinced that the Prophets took the technology and the knowledge of the Covenant with them. The REQ items prove that the Elites are still capable of advancement on their own.

The exact nature of the Covenant war machine to me has always been something that seemed very ill-defined. It makes sense that the Elites were more focused on command rather than tech-building, and that the—tightly controlled—Engineers did a lot of the maintenance and innovations under the Prophet's jurisdiction, but I feel like the Halo universe is missing some links from where everyone is at the end of the K5 trilogy and Last Light and where we end up with the less-than-awe-inspiring but still quite effective Storm Covenant in 2558 knocking on Didact's door. Who ran those foundries we saw in the Halo 3 maps, for one?

(Really if I was part of 343 I think I would have spaced out the Spartan-IV and Infinity program into that gap, as well. I like Infinity being a last-ditch effort that missed its war, but it still seems bizarre to me that they got the new Spartans out so quickly in 2553.)

And yeah, I hope we find out what happened to Telcam, as well as the Skirmishers from Mortal Dictata.

Random17

I get the impression that unless a Covenant orientated game comes our way, we probably won't find out for some time.

Most of what we know about the Covenant come from Contact Harvest, First Strike and Halo 2. They came out a long time ago.

What is this?

a8ede37d871b732226f6ae63e9065390.jpg

It's this months image on the 2015 Halo Calendar.

Is it a Dyson Sphere?

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Just saw a new commercial that had blue team and osiris.
Lynda pulls the rubble off of the chief and the announcer says, "the official story is the chief is dead. (he isn't) Locke, you are the unofficial story.

Glass

Just saw a new commercial that had blue team and osiris.
Lynda pulls the rubble off of the chief and the announcer says, "the official story is the chief is dead. (he isn't) Locke, you are the unofficial story.

Yeah, it premiered with Fear The Walking Dead a week after the original advert declared Chief had been killed in action. A year ago I'm not sure any Halo lore fans could have dreamed of seeing a live acion Blue Team :p

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
That's a small picture, but I think it's Halo 4 concept art for Requiem. And yes, Requiem was a "mini" Dyson sphere.

Here's a larger version:

Requiem-Concept-Art.jpg

If it's a Dyson sphere, where's all that sunlight coming from?

Binary system?

kosmologi

If it's a Dyson sphere, where's all that sunlight coming from?

Binary system?

There's a small artificial sun inside the planet, at the center. Requiem and some other Forerunner Shield Worlds weren't actual Dyson Spheres since they didn't surround a real star and they were only the size of normal rock planets (Earth, for example). They only functioned similarly: had a hollow interior and an energy source at the center.

Finishing up MCC and just about to start Halo 4. Watched all the terminal videos on the Halo channel application, some great stuff there. A lot more reading to do before Halo 5 launches :)

Christof

Neo Member
It's ok but everyone says Saint's Testimony the most perfectly realized summation of human artistic endeavor, ever.

Should I pick up the text or the audio book?

Whats your opinion on the halo novels audio books? I have greatly enjoyed the performances.

Should I pick up the text or the audio book?

Whats your opinion on the halo novels audio books? I have greatly enjoyed the performances.

Well I'm working my way through the Forerunner trilogy via Audible and it's been really great. Primordium's narrator (343 Guilty Spark) >>>>>> Cryptum's MC tho

I have a 30+ commute to the base everyday, so these are wonderful to listen to in the morning :)

I'm reading New Blood tho via Kindle.

So much Halo goodness.. not enough time.

Wonder how much new lore content we'll get into 2016? Hopefully the books keep coming.

I'd love to see HTT continue in some capacity (even if it's just an excuse to give those guys more work).

According to Halopedia, Issue 24 will be the last of Escalation. I wonder if we'll get a NEW series continuing from where Halo 5 leaves off?

Curious that issue 24 comes out at the end of November...

"The Absolute Record: Part 6" — The fugitive Dr. Catherine Halsey makes her final, defiant stand against Spartan Commander Palmer in the explosive conclusion of this epic six-part chapter of the Halo® saga

Since I am assuming this has to happen pre-Halo 5? Maybe it will just connect the dots. Could see it ending with a direct lead-in to Halo 5.. but then why wait an extra month? Unless it reveals some details that would spoil a twist in the game.

Lore question regarding Escalation issue 22..

Guardian-comic.png

I am pretty sure the little icon HAS to be a Guardian, right? I mean they make a point of enhancing it. Also, it ONLY shows to Halsey's group, not the Spartans.. whatever that means.

More info to support the idea that Halsey either purposefully or inadvertently awakens the Guardians by doing 'something' at the Absolute Record? Would that make people hate her character even more?

:(
I highly prefer reading from paper ;)

It's 80 pages, too short to warrant a stand-alone printing. I wouldn't be surprised if they included it in another short story collection like Evolutions down the line though. Or maybe even include it at the end of another book. In the meantime though it's a whopping $0.99 for the ebook and $1.95 for the audio book, so I'd say just make the dive.

So now that Halo 5 lore stuff is coming out.. what do we want to do here?

Spoiler tag stuff for the foreseeable future? Keep spoilers out completely?

I am desperately looking forward to seeing how Halo 5 advances the core Halo lore (say that 5 times fast!), and to seeing how it "changes everything" by the end (Green ending, calling it!).

Edit: Halo Escalation issue 23 preview is up!

https://www.darkhorse.com/Comics/Previews/26-636?page=0

Halsey & Librarian working on THEIR plan?! Interesting.. Sentinels communicating with Spartans?! Interesting.

Top Bottom