• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 20| It really does feel like Halo

so if ADS doesn't do what ADS is supposed to do...

why did they change the scope animation?
8f70c6ea.gif

nillapuddin

Im betting there will be customizable scopes of various zoom levels, and probably (an "acog" scope) that is identical to the traditional BR scope

GhaleonEB

The bigger question is what game on the ps4 will keep you satisfied? Are you in for the long haul on Destiny? Trying to be serious. Not accusatory or anything.

I don't want to derail the thread with too long a tangent on the platform question. I'll just say there are plenty of games on both platforms that are not Halo. As for Destiny, it's a great foundation, hopefully Bungie builds the right things atop it.

The Halo 5 footage (such as it is) is about what I expected. Josh's tweet is encouraging, though. Flinch was a really bad call with Halo 4, nice to see they excised it from Halo 5.

so if ADS doesn't do what ADS is supposed to do...

why did they change the scope animation?
8f70c6ea.gif

So that CoD kids and EGM reviewers can feel as if they are aiming down sights. Plus we don't know how decoping works or flinch.

Honestly, not the end of the world for me. I'd prefer traditional scope, but whatever. If that's what they're using to try and appeal to the COD crowd instead of loadouts and perks, I'm prepared to call that a win.

And yes, I realize how low my standards are for that to qualify as a victory.

TheXbox

I don't feel like Josh's tweet really solves anything. We could tell from the clip that hip fire wasn't affected. Here are the issues:

1. All weapons have ADS
2. Weapon attachments
3. Sprint
4. Obstructing players' view with scope
5. Retconning existing reasons for zoom

Then there's the question of spawns (are they instant?), killstreaks (are they back), loadouts, perks, etc. I don't doubt they will have some playlist bereft of these features, but I suspect they will remain intact for the actual release. Halo 5 can and probably still will be shit. I don't think that's an overreaction, that's just what I've garnered from how they treated Halo 4 and what's in these clips.

Obviously, we'll know more tomorrow, but from the sounds of things ADS is here to stay. It's not cosmetic, it's a design choice that alters every encounter.

I don't feel like Josh's tweet really solves anything. We could tell from the clip that hip fire wasn't affected. Here are the issues:

1. All weapons have ADS
2. Weapon attachments
3. Sprint

Then there's the question of spawns (are they instant?), killstreaks (are they back), loadouts, perks, etc. I don't doubt they will have some playlist bereft of these features, but I suspect they will remain intact for the actual release. Halo 5 can and probably still will be shit. I don't think that's an overreaction, that's just what I've garnered from how they treated Halo 4 and what's in these clips.

Obviously, we'll know more tomorrow, but from the sounds of things ADS is here to stay. It's not cosmetic, it's a design choice that alters every encounter.

Notice of the new clips dont try to show ADS at all.

jem0208

Nothing in that tweet mentions ADS. At all. That alone seems like ADS is in the game. For no reason. Did Spartans somehow lose the ability to link a weapon scope with their built in HUD?
nano machines

I never claimed ADS wasn't in the game. I said that it was only ADS in the visual sense, which is the case.

It's a visual redesign for zoom.

So no descope I assume?

Well, there's no flinch. Don't know what solution they would use instead of de-scope.

Blueblur1

Still not happy. I don't want any of the mechanics changed. Even when it's a cosmetic change; this one will affect gameplay. I hope it gets removed before launch. Also that copy & paste Pistol sprinting animation needs to go.

Im betting there will be customizable scopes of various zoom levels, and probably (an "acog" scope) that is identical to the traditional BR scope

They've said loadouts aren't in, and if they meant they aren't in the entire game and not just one playlist I think the BR is stuck with the scope it has and then the DMR will have a real scope, makes the two weapons more different. Make the light rifle have the original 2X zoom of the BR and we're good I'd say.

Or have the classic Halo 2 BR in as well and give it a 2X zoom.

TheXbox

Notice of the new clips dont try to show ADS at all.
I noticed. I also noticed how those clips gave people the impression that ADS had simply disappeared. It hasn't. Most Halo encounters occur at mid-range. ADS will affect it. ADS will change it. I don't know what that means or how people will respond to it, but ya'll best believe your Halo is now a different beast altogether.

TheOddOne

This was from one of our other insider.

I don't want to derail the thread with too long a tangent on the platform question. I'll just say there are plenty of games on both platforms that are not Halo. As for Destiny, it's a great foundation, hopefully Bungie builds the right things atop it.

The Halo 5 footage (such as it is) is about what I expected. Josh's tweet is encouraging, though. Flinch was a really bad call with Halo 4, nice to see they excised it from Halo 5.
That's cool. I don't have a ps4 and didn't have an xbox one until the sunset overdrive bundle came out. I got sucked in lol. Most of my real life friends actually went the ps4 route. Several games I'd be interested in playing on the ps4 though - the last of us, uncharted, and bloodborne. I'll probably just do the wait and see game for now. I have yet to play destiny. Seems to be quite a few positives that can be built on. So there's that too.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
... I asked if ADS was on all guns, replied "pretty much". ... He also reiterated that all the negative reaction might change things, Microsoft's playing it very safe and there's still 'plenty of time'. ...

Cross your fingers that they will listen this time around.

Nothing in that tweet mentions ADS. At all. That alone seems like ADS is in the game. For no reason. Did Spartans somehow lose the ability to link a weapon scope with their built in HUD?
nano machines

The ADS people are worried about aren't in. It's a new visual affect instead of the old. That's what's saying.

1. All weapons have ADS
2. Weapon attachments
3. Sprint

1. It appears only weapons with sights have "ADS"
2. If you are talking about the SMG, he didn't fire a grenade, he thrusted backwards.
3. Yup, but I can deal I guess...
4. Yup again, hopefully they change it since it appears ADS functions the same as scoping.
5. Yup, but of all the retcons that Halo has had over the years this is a pretty minor one, especially if we're lucky and they reskin scoping to look like it used to.

FatMarshall

Neo Member
So I've calmed down, and I just have two questions.

One, what time exactly will the official footage be shown on Monday?

Two, what is the to-the-hour deadline for preorder cancellations at Gamestop?

Granadier

On a positive note.

The Halo Invitational stream has switch to team chat, and it has made the gameplay very exciting.

edit: They just switched back to commentators.

Anyways, lets not forget from this weeks earlier leaks we also have:

-No loadouts, no armor abilities.
New 'Spartan abilities' that everyone always has:
-Double jump
-Thruster pack
-sprinting
-'sprint melee/tackle'
-'ground pound' melee
-the ability to vault/climb over objects via an animation when jumping

So I've calmed down, and I just have two questions.

One, what time exactly will the official footage be shown on Monday?

Two, what is the to-the-hour deadline for preorder cancellations at Gamestop?

1) stream starts 9 PM PT, IGN made it sound like H5 footage starts a 10 PM PT
2) For a refund? I'd imagine at least two days notice.

On a positive note.

The Halo Invitational stream has switch to team chat, and it has made the gameplay very exciting.

edit: They just switched back to commentators.

What'd be cool is if they let you pick which player you watched, and whether you listened to the team chat or the announcers. Maybe even have a "custom" and "curated" view, where the latter would work the way it does now, and the former would let you decide what you watch and listen to.

if it isnt ADS then whats the fucking point in Changing the scope animation?

change for the sake of attracting a group of people that will tank the population in a week.

What'd be cool is if they let you pick which player you watched, and whether you listened to the team chat or the announcers. Maybe even have a "custom" and "curated" view, where the latter would work the way it does now, and the former would let you decide what you watch and listen to.

I feel like that's what the Halo Channel functionality will bring. Wish they discussed it more.

Granadier

Just take the console out to the street and throw it in the dumpster.

Kidding, I actually enjoy the other games outside of Halo on my Xbone.

VinFTW

Would be cool if Vin posted a video of him selling his console. Just for the lols.

I'm on the fence now.

It looks like it COULD work, but if after the beta they don't take out sprint and increase movement speed instead, I'm selling that shit ON STREAM.

RowdyReverb

I think cosmetic ADS for zoom without movement penalty is a perfect middle ground between modern FPS design and classic Halo. Some trends are just inescapable if games want to stay relevant and sell millions.

Top Bottom