• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 20| It really does feel like Halo

Sounds like we may see some new weapons that have similar functionality to weapons we already know, but are more ADS friendly. I would imagine they have their non-ADS counterparts still, though they may still utilize the animation.

The Flash

Banned
Please bring back the Railgun.

Pls.

PLS.

H4_railgun_trans.png

I liked the railgun. In concept.

Impala26

Please bring back the Railgun.

Pls.

PLS.

H4_railgun_trans.png

Quite arguably the greatest "skill gap" weapon in the H4 arsenal... ahead of maybe the sticky detonator.

I'm rusty. It's not so much that it's hard, just that I keep making silly mistakes

Just yanking ya around. I have this assumption that the majority of HaloGAF are like LASO masters at this point or something. For the record, I SUCK at LASO.

Booshka

If the ADS animation is a toggle option, does that mean I can play Halo 5 and never see this ADS animation? The scoped view would be like previous Halo titles right?

That's what it sounds like. Game Journo's and scrubs will toggle ADS on, and good Halo players will have it off and still shit all over them. Then they will complain that ADS is broken in Halo and doesn't really do anything, and that the game isn't truly "modern" yet.

BigShow36

I'd be surprised if the shooting skill in Halo 5 is what we would hope. After playing Halo 4 and seeing how mind numbingly easy shooting is in that game, I doubt it will go back to more skill based shooting for Halo 5.

Looks like most of the skill gap will be through the player movement and map knowledge.

Sad too because increasing the shooting skill-gap improves so many other aspects of the game as well. It can fix so many of the issues that have plagued the series for the past 10 years.

Quite arguably the greatest "skill gap" weapon in the H4 arsenal...

Is this sarcasm or not? I ask because when I played Halo 4 I thought the railgun, while fun to wield, was extremely easy to use and changed the pace of games really quickly. In my opinion I could really do without it in competitive Halo.

Rocket launcher requires more timing and you usually have to get in close to guarantee a kill.

*Shrug*

Booshka

Sad too because increasing the shooting skill-gap improves so many other aspects of the game as well. It can fix so many of the issues that have plagued the series for the past 10 years.

I guess the majority of players just can't handle skilled shooting on Thumbsticks. You see how many players struggle to aim in Halo 2 and Halo 4, and those games have extremely generous magnetism, hitboxes, adhesion and all other forms of aim assist. Players still struggle to keep their reticules on other players for more than a second or two.

I guess the majority of players just can't handle skilled shooting on Thumbsticks. You see how many players struggle to aim in Halo 2 and Halo 4, and those games have extremely generous magnetism, hitboxes, adhesion and all other forms of aim assist. Players still struggle to keep their reticules on other players for more than a second or two.

Remove all aim assist. Job done.

lolz?

TTUVAPOR

Banned
If you have been playing halo since 2001, thats 13yrs of exp on a two stick controller. Many halo players and even cod players are just now getting the grips of that kind of controller, especially if youre new since halo 4 or reach.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
KZ:SF had no aim assist and was awesome, it can work. People just don't like that franchise for whatever reason.
The movement speed is so absurdly slow. The sprinting animation looks like a two year old trying to run underwater.

DesertFox

So since the digital copy unlocks at 12am eastern, will I be able to play at 9pm in the pacific timezone? Or will I need to set my timezone to eastern?

Just trying to figure out a way to play my digital copy ahead of midnight... it's been sitting on my hard drive for a week.... taunting me.

KZ:SF had no aim assist and was awesome, it can work. People just don't like that franchise for whatever reason.

True- but KZ:SF is a traditional ADS shooter with mostly land-locked characters and slow base movement speed.

Some aim assist is going to be necessary for a game like Halo, especially with all the movement options available in H5.

For a point of reference, load up some Halo 2 or 3 tonight and try to betray a teammate with a BR. That'll give you an idea of what Halo plays like with no aim assist.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
So since the digital copy unlocks at 12am eastern, will I be able to play at 9pm in the pacific timezone? Or will I need to set my timezone to eastern?

Just trying to figure out a way to play my digital copy ahead of midnight... it's been sitting on my hard drive for a week.... taunting me.
Yeah, it's supposed to unlock at 9pm Pacific.

The movement speed is so absurdly slow. The sprinting animation looks like a two year old trying to run underwater.

Don't know if you saw the running animation for Halo 5 Guardians or not, but it looked absurd as well. To clarify, I don't think your gun should sway and bob up into your face like you are lifting your shoulders up and down over and over. Heck, I think this would work better for Halo:

giphy.gif

I'm kidding, but I'm really not

VinFTW

bomb ass avatar, that game looks hype

tracer or widowmaker is gonna be my gurl

As far as the aim assist: I liked where H3 went with it. H2 had far too much aim assist but that was okay because button combos alleviated the lack of skill required for shooting (not that 4 shot was SUPER easy by any means though), but 4sk was just so much more exciting in H3.

i could be all wrong though

Going Off-topic but as someone who has played all the KZ games (Including the remaster of the first), for me (and only me, just IMO, I ain't preaching this as gospel) they are very pretty to look at but very soulless and bland to actually play. Toss in terrible characters, missed opportunities given the back story universe they created and some very questionable design decisions.......It doesn't surprise me that people don't gel with it. I constantly read about KZ2 being the high point of the series - that's not saying much (low bar) imo...

/Back on topic - Yay Halo!!!!

KZ2 was the only good game of the series, and it was excellent. KZ2 did most of the time resorted to a grenade and rocket launcher fest in small corridors on certain maps (similar to the subway map in BF3), but it's still one of the top 5 MP experiences for me from last gen behind H3, GeoW, CoD4, and Bad Company 2.

Going Off-topic but as someone who has played all the KZ games (Including the remaster of the first), for me (and only me, just IMO, I ain't preaching this as gospel) they are very pretty to look at but very soulless and bland to actually play. Toss in terrible characters, missed opportunities given the back story universe they created and some very questionable design decisions.......It doesn't surprise me that people don't gel with it. I constantly read about KZ2 being the high point of the series - that's not saying much (low bar) imo...

/Back on topic - Yay Halo!!!!

Impala26

Is this sarcasm or not? I ask because when I played Halo 4 I thought the railgun, while fun to wield, was extremely easy to use and changed the pace of games really quickly. In my opinion I could really do without it in competitive Halo.

Rocket launcher requires more timing and you usually have to get in close to guarantee a kill.

*Shrug*

I agree with you that it's easy to you close/close-mid, but I actually found myself trying to use the Railgun at ranges greater than the Rocket Launcher to more varying degrees of success. Unlike the Rocket Launcher, the Railgun doesn't have a scope, so what I meant by skill gap was trying to use it a mid-range or longer. There was a very specific: charge, zoom, paint target mechanic with the railgun that I found had a higher degree of difficulty in Halo 4 compared to the rest of the weapons in the sandbox.

TL;DR--"Rock 'n Rail" matches were either insanely fun or horrendously excruciating.

Ramirez

It does have a weight to its movement, but hell. that's the feel of the franchise. I commend them for at least sticking to their vision, even though it's not popular to many.

I agree with you that it's easy to you close/close-mid, but I actually found myself trying to use the Railgun at ranges greater than the Rocket Launcher to more varying degrees of success. Unlike the Rocket Launcher, the Railgun doesn't have a scope, so what I meant by skill gap was trying to use it a mid-range or longer. There was a very specific: charge, zoom, paint target mechanic with the railgun that I found had a higher degree of difficulty in Halo 4 compared to the rest of the weapons in the sandbox.

TL;DR--"Rock 'n Rail" matches were either insanely fun or horrendously excruciating.

Hmmm... I'll trust you on this I guess. I didn't play a ton of Halo 4. It just felt like a functional Counter-Strike AWP in Halo (one shot kill long rifle with scope).

Ein Bear

The Killzone series is so weird. I'm of the opinion that, both in it's campaign and it's multiplayer, Killzone 2 is one of the greatest FPS games ever made.

Every other Killzone game is a big old pile of shit.

Top Bottom