• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 20| It really does feel like Halo

Cant wait till November!
JiE4r3o.gif

yes!

The lack of an official MCC collectors edition bothers me :(

most if not all CE's are just tin cases with some dlc, owning this collection alone is awesome enough.

I'd take a dark blue and orange controller though, microsoft.

MaxRealflugel

Neo Member
Story time:
Seventy-five Spartans training for action,
Dedicated, determined, no room for distraction;
But they weren’t as strong,
As they had thought all along
And now most of them are missing in action.

m23

Dat title. I for one am pretty excited to play the campaign of Halo 4 in 1080p60fps, should look amazing. MP on the other hand...

The Forerunner level in particular will be amazing to see I think:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9HZUwp1f4U

Edit: I wonder if it's possible for them to fix the music implementation though. You can barely hear the music during cutscenes, the didact reveal especially.

To be fair to dear Stinkles(and anyone else from 343), it can't be pleasant to see something you worked hard on ridiculed so much.

Halo 4 may not have been the best Halo ever, but objectively speaking, it wasn't a bad game in any shape or form. Just my two cents.

tootsi666

To be fair to dear Stinkles(and anyone else from 343), it can't be pleasant to see something you worked hard on ridiculed so much.

Halo 4 may not have been the best Halo ever, but objectively speaking, it wasn't a bad game in any shape or form. Just my two cents.
On top of that, it isn't exactly welcoming for potential new Halogaffers who might actually like Halo 4.

It's just a joke!

But if you and other folks at 343 aren't comfortable (at least the ones that post here), I'll change it. Don't want to push anyone out.

Like I said before...it's "funny", but I feel horrible every time I see it lol

I know you didn't make it up, so don't feel bad. IMHO it should be changed, but that's just me. I'm an insignificant junior member. ;)

Sephzilla

On top of that, it isn't exactly welcoming for potential new Halogaffers who might actually like Halo 4.

I lurk HaloGAF more than I post in here but I don't think you guys are caustic or anything to people who like Halo 4 (I still think 4 is better than Reach). Plus, if a thread title (that doesn't even directly slam Halo 4) is going to be enough to scare off potential posters they probably aren't going to last that long on GAF in general IMO.

MaxRealflugel

Neo Member

Halo 4 was bad in every shape and form.

Agreed, Sik. Halo 4 was a bloody good effort for a first time. And with the level of expectation this can't have been easy.

But it certainly wasn't bad in every shape and form. It dared to be different. And I applaud that. It mixed the fiction from the novels into the games for the very first time. Sure, multiplayer turned out to be the negative of the game. But it wasn't a distaster.

Madness

Dat title. I for one am pretty excited to play the campaign of Halo 4 in 1080p60fps, should look amazing. MP on the other hand...

The Forerunner level in particular will be amazing to see I think:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9HZUwp1f4U

Edit: I wonder if it's possible for them to fix the music implementation though. You can barely hear the music during cutscenes, the didact reveal especially.

Oh god, just watching that video reminds me of how much I hated Promethean encounters. At one point, guy runs completely out of ammo, and yet still has 3 Knights there, teleworking after a few shots etc.

Who's honestly not going to post here because it says "3 out of 4 ain't bad".

Madness

I don't think title should be changed now. It is what it is. Some people like it, some people don't. At least it's not some obscure inside joke like some of the Destiny ones.

Halo 4 was bad in every shape and form.

It was still better for me than any other FPS released that year if memory serves.

I feel it would be more accurate to say "Halo wasn't a great Halo game (IMO)" rather than "Halo 4 was a bad game".

Even the stuff in Halo 4 that I didn't like, it still wasn't 'bad'. Just not to my personal taste.

Anywho, basically I completely understand Frankies point of view on this one.

Sephzilla

Halo 4 wasn't a bad game and wasn't even the worst Halo game. That thread title is only going to scare off people who have the thinnest of skins. Everyone just chill.

Fracas

#fuckonami
It's changed but I don't really get how THIS of all things is the final straw for frank. But no worries. I doubt he'll post here but I do apologize. It's a joke; it's always been a joke. I don't think anyone here ever really held ill will.

Look at it this way.

You're sitting round a table with Frankie, Dan Ayoub, Bonnie Ross, Kiki Wolfkill etc.

They ask you, in a face to face environment, what you thought of Halo 4.

Do you tell them "I think Halo 4 sucked and you guys suck and 343 is stupid." (Obviously, not a direct quote, but not far off some of the posts I've seen in HaloGAF since 2012)

Or do you say "I didn't enjoy as much as previous games due to reasons x,y,z."

One is a really shitty way of speaking to people, which I'd like to think the more balanced of us would never resort to, and the other is the correct way or airing ones views.

Keyboards allow us to type with an air of anonymity, but we have members of the dev team posting here, participating with us. If you wouldn't speak that way to someone in a face to face situation, why does it make it any more acceptable because it's on a forum?

Sephzilla

Look at it this way.

You're sitting round a table with Frankie, Dan Ayoub, Bonnie Ross, Kiki Wolfkill etc.

Do you tell them "I think Halo 4 sucked and you guys suck and 343 is stupid." (Obviously, not a direct quote, but not far off some of the posts I've seen in HaloGAF since 2012)

One is a really shitty way of speaking to people, which I'd like to think the more balanced of us would never resort to, and the other is the correct way or airing ones views.

Keyboards allow us to type with an air of anonymity, but we have members of the dev team posting here, participating with us. If you wouldn't speak that way to someone in a face to face situation, why does it make it any more acceptable because it's on a forum?

i wouldn't say halo 4 sucked, because it didn't. in a scenario with an actual bad game - if i was in a face to face meeting with ninja theory however, i'd tell them DmC sucked and they're horrible writers straight to their face.

I'm trying to think of things I liked about Halo 4. It certainly wasn't the art direction. It certainly wasn't the vehicle health system. It wasn't the irritating/bullet sponge Forerunner enemies and their lame forerunner counterparts. It wasn't the removal of any humor from the Covenant or their bizarre change for the sake of change visual redesigns. It wasn't the cramped, linear, boring level design. It wasn't the storytelling that drew unfavorably to Halo CE and the novels. It wasn't Spartan Ops boring little levels they repeated over and over again. It damn sure was any of the multiplayer components that seemed to just go further and further away from what many people enjoyed about Halo. It wasn't the droning, poorly mixed music, that not only fails to get out from Marty's decade-long shadow, it refuses to make any kind of impression whatsoever.

I mean shit, at least Reach had a great campaign, propipe, and improved animations. I can't think of a single thing Halo 4 added that I thought, "Yeah, this is better than the last games, good work 343". Right down to the HUD elements like not having my secondary weapon on screen at all times.

I honestly think its legitimately a bad video game, in all the subjective and objective ways you can call a video game bad, particularly a video game sequel that's supposed to live up to and evolve the standard mechanics and design of the franchise. I can't think of one single thing I'd keep for Halo 5. Not a one. The engine, I guess?

rrc1594

i wouldn't say halo 4 sucked, because it didn't. in a scenario with an actual bad game - if i was in a face to face meeting with ninja theory however, i'd tell them DmC sucked and they're horrible writers straight to their face.

LMAO I'm in tears, I spit out my coffee god dammit

-Ryn

Banned
Halo 4 had some nice ideas but overall, even as its own game, it had way too many issues.

The story was a mess if you didn't read the EU and being required to go to an entirely different site just to see the terminals is just bad design. Spartan Ops was mostly consisted of pushing buttons and reused locations. The last half got a bit better but not enough to justify getting rid of Firefight for this. Then there was the load times, the enormous lack of features when it launched, and the many ways it tried to force ideas down the communities throat.

The game isn't all bad and 343 have made it a lot better since launch, but that doesn't excuse it. I think the OT is fine. It's not us trying to slap them in the face so much as a poking a bit of fun. In the end I'm sure we've all moved past 4 and I am looking forward to seeing what 343 can do next. So I think we should keep the title. If it's changed then that's fine but I don't think it's necessary.

Love ya Stinkles

EDIT
Oh it's already changed

I don't think I can wait for this. Another 4 weeks of destiny may kill me. I may have to do the unthinkable and play reach.

Someone talk me off the ledge.
Halo: Reach is the best game

Tawpgun

Look at it this way.

I think a lot of people use the quick and dirty "Halo 4 sucks 343 sucks" kind of rhetoric because its just easier to say.

However I guarantee most of those people have probably written out constructive reasons why they didn't like Halo 4 and 343's decisions. They get tired of posting the same long writeup about why it was bad and just resort to "halo 4 worst game ever fire everyone hire juices"

Not saying its particularly a good way of posting but I understand why they do it. Most of the HaloGAF regulars know the arguements of why we didn't like Halo 4.

That being said, Hire Juices anyway

TheOddOne

NEVER EDIT
ichE5FEGU3Nmq.gif

I'm trying to think of things I liked about Halo 4. It certainly wasn't the art direction. It certainly wasn't the vehicle health system. It wasn't the irritating/bullet sponge Forerunner enemies and their lame forerunner counterparts. It wasn't the removal of any humor from the Covenant or their bizarre change for the sake of change visual redesigns. It wasn't the cramped, linear, boring level design. It wasn't the storytelling that drew unfavorably to Halo CE and the novels. It wasn't Spartan Ops boring little levels they repeated over and over again. It damn sure was any of the multiplayer components that seemed to just go further and further away from what many people enjoyed about Halo. It wasn't the droning, poorly mixed music, that not only fails to get out from Marty's decade-long shadow, it refuses to make any kind of impression whatsoever.

I mean shit, at least Reach had a great campaign, propipe, and improved animations. I can't think of a single thing Halo 4 added that I thought, "Yeah, this is better than the last games, good work 343". Right down to the HUD elements like not having my secondary weapon on screen at all times.

I honestly think its legitimately a bad video game, in all the subjective and objective ways you can call a video game bad, particularly a video game sequel that's supposed to live up to and evolve the standard mechanics and design of the franchise. I can't think of one single thing I'd keep for Halo 5. Not a one. The engine, I guess?
The Railgun and Haven maps were pretty ace.

Impala26

Look at it this way.

So much this...

I really get that people didn't like Halo 4, enough for someone to say "it's my least favorite Halo game". But saying Halo 4 sucks in every way possible, F*** 343, etc. etc. is just pure hyperbole and stupid. 343 seems really receptive towards constructive criticism regarding their game and that should be great news for all of us going forward with MCC and Halo 5.

Can we just stop with the "Halo 4 sucks" nonsense now? It's seems almost older than the Halo 4 release itself honestly.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
It's changed but I don't really get how THIS of all things is the final straw for frank. But no worries. I doubt he'll post here but I do apologize. It's a joke; it's always been a joke. I don't think anyone here ever really held ill will.

As much to do with what Tootsi said as anything else.

Look, I have a thick skin. In some ways, I used to get paid to have a thick skin, but the title literally said, "Your game is bad," and ostensibly said, "people who like it aren't welcome here." It set the tone for the whole conversation. The edited title is STILL SNARKY but at least obscure enough that most people won't get it.

The gaming side is a cesspit of endless negativity right now. Which is why I come to Community and OT.

Gaf prospered and became a great place for conversation firstly because of great moderation, in every sense of that word. Secondly, that clean, well lighted place became attractive to devs and other folks from the game industry and that increased the richness of the conversations.

But over the years - and I know some of you guys have noticed this - the grinding, endless repetition of attacks and rudeness just finally became too much for a LOT of devs who no longer visit at all. It's to them, not worth the hassle.

For all I know they've been replaced by new devs, but I don't see a lot of the old names and it's because of tone. Gaf can probably survive and prosper without them, and it should be allowed to evolve into whatever it's gonna evolve into, and god knows it doesn't need to be some rainbow-world of happy adulation or dev-worship.

But I come to this thread for fun conversations with friends. Imagine you went to a forum and saw the title read, "OT 8: Your Mom is Fat and Your Work is Useless"

Why would or should you condone that with your input?

Did I get out of the wrong side of bed this morning? Nope. I think I'm making a reasonable point.

Is it OK to criticize Halo 4 in here? LOL, if criticism of Halo 4 was what is annoying me, kindly explain my last thousand posts in here...

To be honest, I'm really looking forward to playing Halo 4 again.

I'm hoping when it goes live as part of the MCC collection, it'll be the turbo update, with Infinity disabled. I never really played it, and while I disliked the Infinity settings, I thought Halo 4 had really good movement and speed to it's multiplayer.

Either way...

29 days until all of teh Haloes....

We can be thankful that Halo 4 hit the lows it did. In order for the franchise to get back to where it needs to be the message from the consumers had to be unequivocal; the drastic fall in long term online population served as that.

Also, I don't think the campaign is radically worse than any of the others sans CE and 3. I honestly think H4's campaign is superior to H2's.

-Ryn

Banned
So much this...

I really get that people didn't like Halo 4, enough for someone to say "it's my least favorite Halo game". But saying Halo 4 sucks in every way possible, F*** 343, etc. etc. is just pure hyperbole and stupid. 343 seems really receptive towards constructive criticism regarding their game and that should be great news for all of us going forward with MCC and Halo 5.

Can we just stop with the "Halo 4 sucks" nonsense now? It's seems almost older than the Halo 4 release itself honestly.
I don't really see people talk about it that much anymore really.
The only time it really gets brought up is as a joke and then people actually start talking about why it was a problem because other people challenge the idea that it sucked. Though that's just kind of how discussion works. Just because someone learns and improves doesn't mean that the thing they did bad is excused from criticism and I don't see the occasional ribbing stopping any time soon. We do it with Reach we will do it with 4.

So much this...

Not to mention 343 was making a game after a major studio transition and apparently had way less time to make the game then normal. Making games are extremely hard as it is.

Welfare

No matter what you think of Halo 4, I think we can agree that if Halo 5 doesn't step up about being a Halo game, we might as well move on.

Top Bottom