• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 20| It really does feel like Halo

Sephzilla

No matter what you think of Halo 4, I think we can agree that if Halo 5 doesn't step up about being a Halo game, we might as well move on.

Or stick with Master Chief Collection.

Honestly, I think Halo 5 is going to be fine (I think we'll all know more after the beta). Halo 4 was essentially 343's first game and while it may have had some subjective things people didn't like it wasn't really a bad game - that stuff is reserved for the Colonial Marines and Duke Nukem Forevers of the world (I want to throw DmC in there so badly too). I still personally think Halo 4 was a better game overall than Reach and (factoring Destiny into the equation) there's a case to be made that Bungie's Halo 4 could have been worse. Halo 4 was good enough to make me have faith that 343 will learn from it and improve. Judging by how MCC is shaping up, it seems like they are.

Impala26

I don't really see people talk about it that much anymore really.
The only time it really gets brought up is as a joke and then people actually start talking about why it was a problem because other people challenge the idea that it sucked. Though that's just kind of how discussion works. Just because someone learns and improves doesn't mean that the thing they did bad is excused from criticism and I don't see the occasional ribbing stopping any time soon. We do it with Reach we will do it with 4.

I get that and I understand the criticisms people have for it, I even share some of them. That's especially the case for AA's/perks and general uneven starts in the multiplayer (I frankly thought starting with Plasma Pistol/Plasma Grenades was arguably the MOST broken aspect of multi entirely and destroyed vehicle battles). The difference was I actually still had FUN with the game and was still as replayable to me as any other Halo game to date.

Maybe not so much on GAF, but other places like YouTube (awesome community I know) the "Halo 4/343i sucks" mob mentality is still quite pervasive in the collective consciousness.

Impala26

As much to do with what Tootsi said as anything else.

Look, I have a thick skin. In some ways, I used to get paid to have a thick skin, but the title literally said, "Your game is bad," and ostensibly said, "people who like it aren't welcome here." It set the tone for the whole conversation. The edited title is STILL SNARKY but at least obscure enough that most people won't get it.

The gaming side is a cesspit of endless negativity right now. Which is why I come to Community and OT.

Gaf prospered and became a great place for conversation firstly because of great moderation, in every sense of that word. Secondly, that clean, well lighted place became attractive to devs and other folks from the game industry and that increased the richness of the conversations.

But over the years - and I know some of you guys have noticed this - the grinding, endless repetition of attacks and rudeness just finally became too much for a LOT of devs who no longer visit at all. It's to them, not worth the hassle.

For all I know they've been replaced by new devs, but I don't see a lot of the old names and it's because of tone. Gaf can probably survive and prosper without them, and it should be allowed to evolve into whatever it's gonna evolve into, and god knows it doesn't need to be some rainbow-world of happy adulation or dev-worship.

But I come to this thread for fun conversations with friends. Imagine you went to a forum and saw the title read, "OT 8: Your Mom is Fat and Your Work is Useless"

Why would or should you condone that with your input?

Did I get out of the wrong side of bed this morning? Nope. I think I'm making a reasonable point.

Is it OK to criticize Halo 4 in here? LOL, if criticism of Halo 4 was what is annoying me, kindly explain my last thousand posts in here...

Thanks for the post Frankie.

I think after reading this people can begin to understand why the original OT title was a bit of a slap in the face and ostracizing to newbies and fans who actually enjoyed Halo 4.

The gaming side is a cesspit of endless negativity right now. Which is why I come to Community and OT.

Gaf prospered and became a great place for conversation firstly because of great moderation, in every sense of that word. Secondly, that clean, well lighted place became attractive to devs and other folks from the game industry and that increased the richness of the conversations.

But over the years - and I know some of you guys have noticed this - the grinding, endless repetition of attacks and rudeness just finally became too much for a LOT of devs who no longer visit at all. It's to them, not worth the hassle.
I've noticed this a lot, especially in the Destiny OT. Phrases like "Fuck off, Bungie" and so on and so forth really set a bad tone for the thread, and worst of all, that tone is self-perpetuating. You have one person saying it, then the next person feels okay saying it, and suddenly you have a lot of people saying it. Then it has the potential to get worse.

You should voice your complaints as if sitting across from the developers at a table.

Frankie, I think you have valid complaints in general too. I think you should PM the mod team and I think they'll take what you have to say seriously.

It's far easier to tell if someone's joking when sitting across the table.

I honestly would have said "three out of four isn't bad" as a joke, because I like to joke around with people (it may have fallen flat, but it wouldn't have stopped me from saying it). I can totally understand why it doesn't work as well in an internet forum thread that's generally littered with not-so-veiled hostility.

Hi
How long have you been a member of NeoGAF? How long have you lurked?
4 days but I have lurked on and off since 2012 or 2011, I forget.

How old are you? What country or state are you posting from? (Optional)
18. Indiana, US

How long have you been a Halo fan? Have you played all the games?
Been a halo fan since CE came out. I've played all the games besides Wars and Spartan Assault if they count.

What mode do you spend most of your time in?
Multiplayer definitely.

What is your favorite playlist?
Ranked Team Slayer, Team Objective, RIP Squad Slayer

Help us get to know you better. (Optional)
I'm a Nigerian pharmacy student. I really like the competitive side of Halo and arguing about game mechanics. Long walks on the beach etc...

Nowise10

I'd rather we just stick with sensible thread titles that don't irritate any particular person, and gives the game a nice look.

This takes me back to my first months of Halogaf, and the OT for whichever number it was. 80% of the page was just filled with Bugs Bunny images and jokes, with half-assed information actually about Halo. I was pretty close to calling it quits then and their.
pls dont do that too.

So 100+ maps in this collection - is there a definitive list anywhere?

Do they include variations? i.e Snowbound/Boundless? The Pit/Pitstop?

Silky

Banned
Oddball

When you have a bunch of people striving to be the witty first post to get all of the virtual backpatting, downplaying criticism of a game to 'have you played it' or 'look at your post history', and simply forgiving a group of it's flaws because it's 'that group' or some other hierarchy bullshit then that's the point where people should stop trying to ask questions on GAF.

I'm honestly surprised you enjoy OT with all of the ridiculous nonsense that spews from it.
like I just wanna talk about food in OT

I think it's the new generation, and people now installing these new 'expectations' of what should come from the dev/publisher.

Or something.

I'd rather we just stick with sensible thread titles that don't irritate any particular person, and gives the game a nice look.

Yeah. I mean, seriously- are we Halo fans or what?

I didn't care for Halo 4. I posted my reasons multiple times on various HaloGAF threads after its release. But it's been almost two years, guys. We can probably stop beating that poor, dead horse now. Pretty sure 343i knows what we did and didn't like.

Y'all hate on Halo 4 when you could be focusing your hate on actual shitty games...like Reach. Just kidding
kinda

Anyway, I'm thinking about selling my Rift and getting an XO for the MCC. Fuck sake 343, why you gotta make me spend money like this.

The things to keep from Halo 4 are the Railgun, Thruster Pack, and Speedboost but they all need go be modified to not suck so much. Railgun needs to have way less bullet magnetism and splash damage. Thruster Pack needs to go back to first person view and let you shoot while using it. Speedboost needs to increase the rate at which the player accelerates to top speed and remove the requirement to decelerate to zero when changing directions. Drop Damage Boost and make Pro Vis a power up. Trait Zones were a good idea too.

yeah i saw the title yesterday and goddamn that was OD! gave us this nice collection and ya still can't ease up lol

it seems that everyone hates halo 4 so much that we already have threats of people leaving their teammates in mcc if the game gets voted. i can adjust to any halo game so it really doesn't matter to me.

Fuchsdh

So 100+ maps in this collection - is there a definitive list anywhere?

Do they include variations? i.e Snowbound/Boundless? The Pit/Pitstop?
In terms of variations I believe we're getting post-update maps for multi, though I dunno--I assume we'll have the originals on disc as well as we always have.

Akai__

This takes me back to my first months of Halogaf, and the OT for whichever number it was. 80% of the page was just filled with Bugs Bunny images and jokes, with half-assed information actually about Halo. I was pretty close to calling it quits then and their.
pls dont do that too.

We need somebody doing a neutral OP again and copy it from there on. Ghaleon's OT's worked like that and he updated them, based on new information. Something simple, that shows every Halo game and what's next in the Halo universe, should be more than enough.

Ramirez

/humbled

Isn't nowise the same guy modding wheelchairs into Reach as a joke game type? Don't fall off your horse bruh, might break your legs and need one of those.

The Starry Nights trailer still gives me chills everytime I watch it. Nothing will ever compare to the Halo 3 marketing campaign.

Sorry, I have a really big pet peeve about advertisements advertising something that isn't in the product they're advertising. Well, I also have a pet peeve about game commercials never actually showing the video game either.

Well it's not very exciting to watch Master Chief briskly walking on a desert plateau.

Sephzilla

Sprint? No, it didn't bother me at all. It's an artists view not a PowerPoint of what features will be in the game.

Sorry, I have a really big pet peeve about advertisements advertising something that isn't in the product they're advertising. Well, I also have a pet peeve about game commercials never actually showing the video game either.

yeah i saw the title yesterday and goddamn that was OD! gave us this nice collection and ya still can't ease up lol

it seems that everyone hates halo 4 so much that we already have threats of people leaving their teammates in mcc if the game gets voted. i can adjust to any halo game so it really doesn't matter to me.
I'm dead ass serious about that too lmao. My dislike of Halo 4 is pure man

Wouldn't worry bout it tho, we got a new ign thing to talk about today...hopefully it wont be Halo 4 heh

Tawpgun

pls dont do that too.

To be fair, that's what I envision community threads are supposed to be like. But it seems this has turned into the actual game thread? idk.

/humbled

Isn't nowise the same guy modding wheelchairs into Reach as a joke game type? Don't fall off your horse bruh, might break your legs and need one of those.

4TPdC6Q.gif

klodeckel

Banned
As much to do with what Tootsi said as anything else.

Look, I have a thick skin. In some ways, I used to get paid to have a thick skin, but the title literally said, "Your game is bad," and ostensibly said, "people who like it aren't welcome here." It set the tone for the whole conversation. The edited title is STILL SNARKY but at least obscure enough that most people won't get it.

For all I know they've been replaced by new devs, but I don't see a lot of the old names and it's because of tone. Gaf can probably survive and prosper without them, and it should be allowed to evolve into whatever it's gonna evolve into, and god knows it doesn't need to be some rainbow-world of happy adulation or dev-worship.

But I come to this thread for fun conversations with friends. Imagine you went to a forum and saw the title read, "OT 8: Your Mom is Fat and Your Work is Useless"

Why would or should you condone that with your input?

Did I get out of the wrong side of bed this morning? Nope. I think I'm making a reasonable point.

Is it OK to criticize Halo 4 in here? LOL, if criticism of Halo 4 was what is annoying me, kindly explain my last thousand posts in here...

One month to Halo TMCC. This should be like christmas + birthday for a Halo fan. Yet HaloGAF has no better idea for a thread title than ... A Halo 4 bash? I mean wtf. I honestly think this is pretty sad.

You weren't expecting to play as a nine year old Chief too, right? It's just a "get hyped" cinematic but I do see what you are saying about misleading trailers. Movies are even worse IMO.

Sephzilla

You weren't expecting to play as a nine year old Chief too, right? It's just a "get hyped" cinematic but I do see what you are saying about misleading trailers. Movies are even worse IMO.

Movies still have to for the most part rely on footage that's actually in the movie though

Madness

You weren't the one who filed the lawsuit against Red Bull were you?

VinFTW

The things to keep from Halo 4 are the Railgun, Thruster Pack, and Speedboost but they all need go be modified to not suck so much. Railgun needs to have way less bullet magnetism and splash damage. Thruster Pack needs to go back to first person view and let you shoot while using it. Speedboost needs to increase the rate at which the player accelerates to top speed and remove the requirement to decelerate to zero when changing directions. Drop Damage Boost and make Pro Vis a power up. Trait Zones were a good idea too.

Agree about the thruster packs, a lot. And with the speed boost.

I think they should be in first person, as well.

What Halo 5 needs is Hunters with overshields & hardlight shields assisted by a Watcher and Engineer. Oh and just to piss you off, gaf, Watcher protects the engineer with a mini hardlight shield and doesn't retreat like a bitch wielding a rail gun and the engineer is equipped with a focus rifle aiding the watcher with an overshield.

OT change? Makes sense, although funny the last one was pretty back handed.

I still think we should use one of Frankie's suggestions from the last OT, unless you want to save it for a MCC thread.

OT: The in your face inner space unified interface

Sephzilla

The story the commercial sells you on is often nothing like the actual story. The objective is to get butts in seats, not give an accurate preview of the story.

But it still uses actual assets in the movie to put those butts in the seats regardless if they're arranged in a way that doesn't actually reflect the movie.

Got my Xbone back from repairs finally, now I play the waiting game. I like how when you get your console back from the repair center they pack a 1 month card in with it.

I'm debating getting an X1 for this specific game (and some games that are probably going to be released for Fall 2015).

I'm hoping this game will feel populated and alive. Does anyone know when it comes to armor if you have to unlock them per game or are you given all of them at the start?

Also any rumors of a X1 MCC bundle? I might just wait until Black Friday/Cyber Monday to see if there are any deals to buy the X1 then just buy MCC digital if I can score some discounts on Microsoft points.

Top Bottom