• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 21| Battle is the Great Redeemer | LIVE. DIE. RESPAWN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mdot

Thanks.

There was a Bungie weekly update where I (formerly known as dan91bauer) was in the whambulance because Lukems decided to screenshot my forum post at MLG forums, anyway, in this update they came out and told the truth about the BR's design and its place in the Halo 3 sandbox.

It made sense design wise and what they were trying to achieve, but it was the most horrid design I had ever witnessed.

The BR basically was a weapon to ping snipers out of scope. That's it.

That's interesting. So the result was basically something they didn't intend. I find the logic of not having a suitable and effective starting weapon at spawn so backwards. The power weapons are valuable enough to fight over and control, but nearly impossible to obtain without the means to get them (ie, a BR or CE Pistol start). Its the essence of what made CE so balanced in the first place and immediately accessible, without knowing weapon drop times and locations.

EDIT alternative proposal - Leave BRs as a map weapon, beef up AR range a little, make the Magnum not fucking worthless.

This right there is what I am most excited about from the Halo 5 footage. The AR seems pretty powerful (perhaps too much) and the magnum is a powerful secondary.

If Halo 5 has good starting weapons I can forgive some silly additions (like smart scope). I forgot how infuriating Halo is without proper settings.

Impala26

I still think Reach has the best sandbox because of AR+Useful Magnum starts. DMR is better than Magnum or AR, but just spawned players aren't free kills in 4v4 maps. It seems that H5 is trying something similar. And of course, players should always spawn with DMR/BR in BTB.

I know people are quick to rag on Reach, but I think it had an excellent balanced sandbox of weapons as well. It straight had the best pistol in the series behind CE's M6D, grenades were for the most part balanced in terms of AoE and throw distance, and some of the weapons were simply damn fun to use (Plasma Launcher, Needle Rifle, Focus Rifle, Grenade Launcher aka Pro Pipe)

TU Reach without reticle bloom and Armor Lock is acutally pretty damn fun.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
That's interesting. So the result was basically something they didn't intend. I find the logic of not having a suitable and effective starting weapon at spawn so backwards. The power weapons are valuable enough to fight over and control, but nearly impossible to obtain without the means to get them (ie, a BR or CE Pistol start). Its the essence of what made CE so balanced in the first place and immediately accessible, without knowing weapon drop times and locations.

If you think non-balance design, the logic behind the BR's design in Halo 3 was so the AR was the main weapon of focus and thus the game becomes super accessible to casuals. In otherwords, it becomes a very accessible pick up and play shooter.

They didn't want the game to be competitive out of the box, nor did they want the BR to be the default starting weapon. Over time though, the general population of Halo 3 saw through the bs, which is why we got the BR start games in the veto rotation.

In all honesty, if they just made the utility weapon the starting weapon of the game by default...casuals would eventually learn and get the hang of it.

If you think non-balance design, the logic behind the BR's design in Halo 3 was so the AR was the main weapon of focus and thus the game becomes super accessible to casuals. In otherwords, it becomes a very accessible pick up and play shooter.

They didn't want the game to be competitive out of the box, nor did they want the BR to be the default starting weapon. Over time though, the general population of Halo 3 saw through the bs, which is why we got the BR start games in the veto rotation.

In all honesty, if they just made the utility weapon the starting weapon of the game by default...casuals would eventually learn and get the hang of it.

Yes. This is emphatically true.

I believe the mentality of the game designers have ruined Halo for the most part over the years. I understand that from a business perspective that attracting casuals makes more money. And that's exactly the problem. The art and design of good games is thrown out the window because they are worried about their game scaring off people who don't care enough about it to get good in the first place.

Just another sad case of lazy, flippant, and unskilled people ruining a good thing for the rest of us.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
SWAT has always been a fun gametype - especially for a few quick warm up games. In all honesty it probably shouldn't have been a ranked gametype in Halo 3.

I love, love, love SWAT.

BR SWAT is too easy though. I think it should always be limited to single shot weapons.

Mdot

Exactly. Casuals become good at a weapon through repetition and extended use, which comes through starting with said weapon. They aren't camping weapon spawns for a rocket or sword; most of their play time is with that starting piece. So inherently they'd become better with it through this, as you said.

This is all as obvious to a developer as it is to us so you would think options would be given instead of prying like we did with Halo 3 BR starts.

Legendary slayer was the only time the game was even ok.

Totally disagree. I understand why everyone has issues with perks and some of the armor abilities but thruster felt like it belonged in Halo. And had they had a good social/rank split like everyone has always asked for I think a lot of the zany antics would have been more accepted. If everyone has their ranked Legendary settings (with thruster for everyone) for 4v4 and big team right when the game came out alot more players would have been satisfied. All the weird survivor perks and such could have easily been in social settings.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Yes. This is emphatically true.

I believe the mentality of the game designers have ruined Halo for the most part over the years. I understand that from a business perspective that attracting casuals makes more money. And that's exactly the problem. The art and design of good games is thrown out the window because they are worried about their game scaring off people who don't care enough about it to get good in the first place.

Just another sad case of lazy, flippant, and unskilled people ruining a good thing for the rest of us.

Well now we have HCE on Xbox Live...something I wouldn't have dreamed would ever happen. And there's always Quake Live for that true arena FPS experience ;)

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Exactly. Casuals become good at a weapon through repetition and extended use, which comes through starting with said weapon. They aren't camping weapon spawns for a rocket or sword; most of their play time is with that starting piece. So inherently they'd become better with it through this, as you said.

This is all as obvious to a developer as it is to us so you would think options would be given instead of prying like we did with Halo 3 BR starts.

That's why I love Blizzard's approach to game design, specifically with Starcraft II. The game you play is the same damn game everyone plays, regardless of skill level, am or pro. You're all starting with the same settings, same mode, maps, etc.

I wish Halo would do that, but it starts with having a proper utility weapon.

Impala26

Guys, I finally played The Dark Below for some time!

Went back to broken MCC after 30 minutes.

This was covered briefly yesterday...

Welp, those new "story" missions in destiny from dumb kid edition

:|

Don't spend $20 on it

Go here and shoot stuff for reasons v.2?

Go to the same areas you've been to a bunch of other times, except this one tiny new area, and shoot stuff for reasons.

Granadier

This seems relevant given the current state of Halo.

ffsxeFK.png

Mdot

That's why I love Blizzard's approach to game design, specifically with Starcraft II. The game you play is the same damn game everyone plays, regardless of skill level, am or pro. You're all starting with the same settings, same mode, maps, etc.

I wish Halo would do that, but it starts with having a proper utility weapon.

aka Halo CE lol

Mix

So I recently found out that one of my good friends killed herself this past Monday...

If anyone on here is ever having issues with anything; life gets hard, you go through a break up, etc, I want you to come talk to me. things get so much better. I've been down before and I know things get hard but seriously, life goes on.

If you have a hard time talking to someone you know about it, please call a suicide lifeline. the US line is 1 (800) 273-8255.

Thanks for reading, carry on with Halo.

darthbob

So I recently found out that one of my good friends killed herself this past Monday...

If anyone on here is ever having issues with anything; life gets hard, you go through a break up, etc, I want you to come talk to me. things get so much better. I've been down before and I know things get hard but seriously, life goes on.

If you have a hard time talking to someone you know about it, please call a suicide lifeline. the US line is 1 (800) 273-8255.

Sorry to hear that. A friend of mine killed themselves this past year too, it's rough to deal with. If you felt like I did when it happened the best thing to do is to reach out to friends.

Mdot

Damn man, sorry for your loss. That's terrible.

TTUVAPOR

Banned

Sorry for your loss dude! I can't imagine what would drive someone to do that. I agree, life does go on, even if it's for the worse or best.

It's always best to surround yourself with people who love you.

The Flash

Banned

Keeping you and your friend's family in my prayers.

My condolences dude :(

Granadier

This is terrible news.

Internet hug headed your way Mix.

Impala26

tumblr_lkdvpziUJt1qam5pw.gif

So right man. I think we've all been to some low, dark places before. Tough to hear news like that. Thoughts and prayers go your way. Like Granadier said, I think we'd all like to give you a big 'ol GAF hug right about now...

Sephzilla

sorry man :(

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer

Very sorry for your loss.

jem0208

Shit, that sucks man. I'm sorry.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
I'm curious, how does the esports league work with MCC if the online matchmaking isn't working 100% yet? Like, when do we even get to start seeing that esports content?

My condolences, man. It's a tough place to be in.

Welfare

Also I think it's a bit unfair to assume nothing of value will come from this beta. 343 have listened to many of the complaints the community had with 4. Equal starts, weapons on map, map control, spectator mode.

Oh yeah, things will come from this beta, just things that would've come from a beta closer to launch. Weapon balance, SA balance, general glitches and feedback on ranks.

343 will never offer a NS gametype, and we will have absolutely no idea if the rest of Matchmaking will have equal starts. There is a reason why 343 are only showing us "Arena" gameplay.

belushy

Banned
I wonder how this is going to work. Are we going to be able to choose a random person on our friends list and watch them? Is there going to be a server browser so we can choose any game we want to watch?

There was a podcast who talked with Josh Holmes a while ago and he said you can go to watch whoever is on your friend's list.

edit: This one.

jem0208

Oh yeah, things will come from this beta, just things that would've come from a beta closer to launch. Weapon balance, SA balance, general glitches and feedback on ranks.

343 will never offer a NS gametype, and we will have absolutely no idea if the rest of Matchmaking will have equal starts. There is a reason why 343 are only showing us "Arena" gameplay.
I still think you're being unfair to 343 here. They're releasing a beta almost a year before the game launches. Almost no AAA devs ever do that. They've listened to the feedback on 4, why are you assuming they won't with the beta?

On another point. Would it be so bad if other aspects of the game didn't have equal starts? The classic arena style game modes are where equal starts really matter. And they've given us that.

My sympathies my friend. Back in October a really good friend of mine shot himself, so I know what a crazy mix of emotions it can be. I hope all of you and yours are okay and are able to find happiness.

If you ever need a friend to play halo with, I would love to jump on with you.

Welfare

I still think you're being unfair to 343 here. They're releasing a beta almost a year before the game launches. Almost no AAA devs ever do that. They've listened to the feedback on 4, why are you assuming they won't with the beta?

I have not seen anywhere that tells me 343 are willing to change aspects of their game incase fans don't like it. If pros are coming and saying 343 are already adamant on keeping things the same before this beta is out, that speaks volumes to me that they will treat as just a "regular" beta that all other AAA developers use.

Sure, they will change the balance of the sandbox and fix obvious glitches, but that's it. 343 have yet to say otherwise.

On another point. Would it be so bad if other aspects of the game didn't have equal starts? The classic arena style game modes are where equal starts really matter. And they've given us that.

I would rather have my experience be relatively the same across the game. Equal starts and all.

RowdyReverb

I wish all the players pooping on me in H2A would play each other instead of me. I have yet to win a match in H2A. It's kind of sad. My rank is still 2 somehow

I (formerly known as dan91bauer)
Why do I know this name? I feel like we used to be friends somewhere or at least used to communicate..

EDIT:
http://www.twitch.tv/unknownixi/c/5652657

FUNKNOWN didn't self promote link his gameplay so I will do it for him. Great game on Halo CE Hang Em High. Cycling powerups and powerweapons the whole game, good plays all game, and really clutch at the end.
hahah thanks man, I've been saving a ton of clips and trying to be conscious of saving vids from now on for the reason of helping people. My friends have been asking what the secret is to only dying in the single digits but consistently placing high stats, so I decided to record that.

Game's all about control, whether it's the power weapons, Power-ups, spawns or positioning to cover all angles. Thinking about your moves and not letting frustrations consume you, etc. etc., like being conscious of where the enemies might be depending on where your teammates are (if they're in combat, etc.) and having your back safe from potential fire. So much fun once you let the frustrations go and start thinking about your gameplay more.

At around 2:22 you can hear me tell my friend how chasing kills in poor positions keeps us spawning in poor positions, how it's more important to lock positions down and keep moving around to maintain control of the map.

CliQ

aQlPNKS.jpg

Hopefully with this week's patch we will be able to play this. Send me a PM or message me on XBL (xCliQuEx) if you want to be added to the list.

See you on the battlefield!

jem0208

Hopefully with this week's patch we will be able to play this. Send me a PM or message me on XBL (xCliQuEx) if you want to be added to the list.

See you on the battlefield!

We really need a regular play time for those who don't live in the US.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom