• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 21| Battle is the Great Redeemer | LIVE. DIE. RESPAWN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

-Ryn

Banned
lol I need to try this
It was amazing.

I've got it saved on my 360 so I'll have to try and get a clip of it. I've been wanting to get some recording equipment for a while anyway (though I still need to get a One amongst other things
like bills
). Anybody got some good suggestions?

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Zenith is such a godawful map. Why remake this piece of shit?
What? Everyone loves that map!

mjWGh8f.png

Haruko

Just got all my Done...Unlocking achievements pop. Maybe they're fixing them? They were pretty random Halo 3 coop playlists ones. Also a reminder to get a match of Halo 2 Classic in today for the 9th of the month, Back At It achievement. It didn't pop playing H2A like the description said, but it popped during a match of Ivory Tower Team BR's.

Same. All my stuck ones popped while I was on Destiny. Xbox Live servers finally catching up it seems.

See? Im not crazy there really is a good game in there. I just wish they could make all legendary slayer gametypes have thruster. Keep it all the same just include thruster for everyone.

I also noticed last night the glare from the sun on wreckage, never saw it before but that is really annoying. But besides that it was good fun.

Legendary slayer was the only time the game was even ok.

Whose idea was it to have AR starts on Bloodline in BTB Slayer?

One good thing about 4's loadout system was that you were never stuck with fucking AR starts.

Yeah, no. There was never anything good about Loadouts in Halo.

Booshka

Legendary slayer was the only time the game was even ok.

Yeah, no. There was never anything good about Loadouts in Halo.

Halo is slow, we need Sprint. AR starts are bad, we need Loadouts. How about just faster base speed and spawning with a capable utility weapon? Naw, that's outdated gameplay.

/s

Dub117

Here is a bright idea: how about no loadouts and still start with weapons that are useful? Gasp. Top men say this is too much to ask.

Did I do it right?

Edit: beaten with exactly my sarcastic point.

-Ryn

Banned
Here is a bright idea: how about no loadouts and still start with weapons that are useful? Gasp. Top men say this is too much to ask.

Did I do it right?

Edit: beaten with exactly my sarcastic point.
They confirmed loadouts weren't in Halo 5 right?
Or are "weapon sets" still going to be a thing?

so where's a nice portfolio or site filled with all the h2a concept art or cgi work I could find?
Found only two freelancers so far that did the arby modeling and cgi artwork.

Random17

Nightfall is disappointing; and I really liked Forward Unto Dawn.

Forget the usual complaints; the fact that 343i
are killing off Spartan IIs every now and then is a worrying trend. At this point the only remaining Spartans of significance are Blue and Grey Teams, since Red and Black are missing/dead as of Escalation. And Blue team will probably be in Halo 5.

Their deaths aren't meaningful anymore. This is a shame since another 343i work, Halo Evolutions I believe, had Headhunter, probably one of the best written pieces of Halo fiction. And even though we barely knew the Spartans III in it, their deaths were actually meaningful and not completely predictable, unlike Randall.

I will contribute $100
for 343 to hire FyreWulff for a couple hours TO FIX THESE STUPID FUCKING SETTINGS.

Seriously, SMG/AR starts in 2014 is nothing but bullshit.. What's the reason for it? Is it a design choice or a glitch? Have they commented on this? Is this just a big "F--- YOU" to all the fans? What's it going to take to get some answers/fixes? They throw in the Turbo update and fix other things, but they leave this BS despite years of complaints?

I'm considering a visit to a hypnotist to rid myself of this franchise from my damn memory..

FyreWulff is the High Priest of AR starts, he'd implement them across the board.

RowdyReverb

H2A's AR isn't that bad. Not as bad as SMG starts anyway. It's still not as precise and wonderful as the BR, but it has a decent range and TTK and the new firing sound is terrific. Probably not the best starting weapon for bloodline though.

Holding the trigger down in MP drastically reduces consistent shot placement due to increased bullet spread when doing that. There is literally no advantage to holding down the trigger in MP. Only negatives.

It always screws with my semi-auto timing because I end up gunning it and ending up in an automatic fire rate. While the sounds / visual design need some improvement to make it sound considerably beefier, projectiles included, I actually love Halo 4's magnum. It's my favorite in the franchise. Just make it take one less shot to kill or so. It's got surprisingly good range even outside of its dedicated red crosshair radius, good fire rate, nice amount of ammo per magazine, etc.

If only there wasn't a ceiling. Would've loved to see you go into orbit.

Reminds me of the glitch with one of the Scarabs on "The Covenant". If you kill it while it's still in its "roar" animation you get launched out of the map so fast it literally broke my game. Which is actually how I discovered it.

lol I need to try this

Another fun one: during that same One Final Effort segment, I think you actually need all your co-op players down by the Hornets to actually trigger the Scarabs spawning. If players stay a ways back before the loading zone, it won't actually warp you up, meaning the Scarabs won't spawn unless you actually fly in a beeline towards their battlefield. As a result, a stupid / fun thing to do is to have 1+ player(s) stay back, have one person get in the Hornet, and then fly to where they come down (indicated by the two big dark patches of ice) and then that will trigger them spawning. A Scarab bodyslamming a hornet usually fucks with the physics on more than one level.

You can also cheese it in single player, provided you have good enough aim Mongoose launching. Nabbing Invincibility helps. So do Tough Luck (strengthens vehicles) and Cowbell.

FyreWulff is the High Priest of AR starts, he'd implement them across the board.

Craggle Rock starts. "When I first joined the corp, we had two sticks and a rock to the whole platoon, and we had to share the rock!"

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Played some matches last night in H2A and found out that the needler is also affected by the bullet refunding issue. I was laying into someone with the needler and they would simply not die, as I watched the ammo counter and the ammo image string, the ammo would delete with each shot fired but then it would hesitate and actually go BACKWARDS as if refilling my weapon...ugh :(

So, conclusion of the needler is, you will visually see needles coming out and attaching to players and exploding, but there's high chances they're phantom needles...just crazy.

This just makes H2A un-fun to play. The carbine also has bullet refunding. Seems like it's basically any projectile weapon whether it's convenant or human.

Why?? This makes BR fights pretty much pot luck, as well as any other projectile weapon, unless you're the host of the match. I've yet to encounter a dedicated server, so I can't tell if it happens on dedicated servers. I'd like to believe it's just a peer to peer thing.

I guess I should just stick to the Halo 2 classic playlist. In essence, all I really want to play is Halo 2 classic team slayer and Halo CE team slayer.

This just bums the hell outta me, because I really do enjoy H2A, but now everytime I play, I can't stop thinking about the bullet refunding issue.

-Ryn

Banned
Nightfall is disappointing; and I really liked Forward Unto Dawn.

Forget the usual complaints; the fact that 343i
are killing off Spartan IIs every now and then is a worrying trend. At this point the only remaining Spartans of significance are Blue and Grey Teams, since Red and Black are missing/dead as of Escalation. And Blue team will probably be in Halo 5.

Their deaths aren't meaningful anymore. This is a shame since another 343i work, Halo Evolutions I believe, had Headhunter, probably one of the best written pieces of Halo fiction. And even though we barely knew the Spartans III in it, their deaths were actually meaningful and not completely predictable, unlike Randall.
Spartan junk

Spartan II's getting killed off left and right is some major bullshit. I almost fear they'll all be dead by Halo 7 (still can't believe there will be a Halo 7).

Another fun one: during that same One Final Effort segment, I think you actually need all your co-op players down by the Hornets to actually trigger the Scarabs spawning. If players stay a ways back before the loading zone, it won't actually warp you up, meaning the Scarabs won't spawn unless you actually fly in a beeline towards their battlefield. As a result, a stupid / fun thing to do is to have 1+ player(s) stay back, have one person get in the Hornet, and then fly to where they come down (indicated by the two big dark patches of ice) and then that will trigger them spawning. A Scarab bodyslamming a hornet usually fucks with the physics on more than one level.

You can also cheese it in single player, provided you have good enough aim Mongoose launching. Nabbing Invincibility helps. So do Tough Luck (strengthens vehicles) and Cowbell.

Craggle Rock starts. "When I first joined the corp, we had two sticks and a rock to the whole platoon, and we had to share the rock!"
Well now I know what I'm going to do later today. Thank you.

I find glitches to be one of most unintentionally fun parts of Halo. Physics fuck ups in particular are great.

Lovely Johnson quote

jem0208

Played some matches last night in H2A and found out that the needler is also affected by the bullet refunding issue. I was laying into someone with the needler and they would simply not die, as I watched the ammo counter and the ammo image string, the ammo would delete with each shot fired but then it would hesitate and actually go BACKWARDS as if refilling my weapon...ugh :(

So, conclusion of the needler is, you will visually see needles coming out and attaching to players and exploding, but there's high chances they're phantom needles...just crazy.

This just makes H2A un-fun to play. The carbine also has bullet refunding. Seems like it's basically any projectile weapon whether it's convenant or human.

Why?? This makes BR fights pretty much pot luck, as well as any other projectile weapon, unless you're the host of the match. I've yet to encounter a dedicated server, so I can't tell if it happens on dedicated servers. I'd like to believe it's just a peer to peer thing.

I guess I should just stick to the Halo 2 classic playlist. In essence, all I really want to play is Halo 2 classic team slayer and Halo CE team slayer.

This just bums the hell outta me, because I really do enjoy H2A, but now everytime I play, I can't stop thinking about the bullet refunding issue.
That's lag. 100%

I get this all the time with almost all the guns and grenades. You will shoot and then your bullets/grenades will come back and they won't have done any damage. It's definitely a P2P issue, not an intentional design decision.

Mdot

Finally had 3 or 4 games last night before going to sleep where the game was really smooth and felt like it was on dedis. Still so hit or miss though and it's extremely frustrating.

TheOddOne

Does anyone else find it ironical that Destiny and Spartan Ops level / mission design are basically the same game?
Funny enough, the first half of the season of SpOps also did the reverse level thing too. The second half solved that problem by letting the levels open up areas during the course of the week, which was a neat and novel idea. Add more content like that, bring in more combat variety, do more world building like Destiny’s Black Garden and add the Destiny’s economy systems and you could have something cool.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
That's lag. 100%

I get this all the time with almost all the guns and grenades. You will shoot and then your bullets/grenades will come back and they won't have done any damage. It's definitely a P2P issue, not an intentional design decision.

I don't think it's an intentional design, but I do think it's because the guns are not hitscan. Halo 2 didn't do this. It started with Halo 3. I just can't believe it's in Halo 2 Annv.

jem0208

I don't think it's an intentional design, but I do think it's because the guns are not hitscan. Halo 2 didn't do this. It started with Halo 3. I just can't believe it's in Halo 2 Annv.

I've had it with all the guns though, even hitscan ones like the AR.

Chitown B

I will contribute $100
for 343 to hire FyreWulff for a couple hours TO FIX THESE STUPID FUCKING SETTINGS.

Seriously, SMG/AR starts in 2014 is nothing but bullshit.. What's the reason for it? Is it a design choice or a glitch? Have they commented on this? Is this just a big "F--- YOU" to all the fans? What's it going to take to get some answers/fixes? They throw in the Turbo update and fix other things, but they leave this BS despite years of complaints?

I'm considering a visit to a hypnotist to rid myself of this franchise from my damn memory..

unfortunately the BR start people are the minority in the grand scheme. Mainly Halo players want to just run around with their machine guns and beat people down.

wow I never knew about that. I guess because there's no achievement for it.

FyreWulff

Refunding happens because the host never saw the bullet fired, so you see bullets return to the clip when the host informs the client of your actual ammo count. The client assumes the entire bullet group has been shot and does the ammo depletion animation clientside, and most of the time it'll line up.

The only way to 'fix' it is to trust the client on everything and trusting the client with anything you don't have to trust the client with is a bad idea networking wise for anticheat/manipulation purposes and other reasons.

It's also why you won't see bullet refunding in campaign co-op.

willow ve

Refunding happens because the host never saw the bullet fired, so you see bullets return to the clip when the host informs the client of your actual ammo count. The client assumes the entire bullet group has been shot and does the ammo depletion animation clientside, and most of the time it'll line up.

The only way to 'fix' it is to trust the client on everything and trusting the client with anything you don't have to trust the client with is a bad idea networking wise for anticheat/manipulation purposes.

It's also why you won't see bullet refunding in campaign co-op.

In all future networking issues let's just wait for Fyre to come by with knowledge.

FyreWulff

As a side note in laggy games I usually switch to an automatic weapon in close quarters because the host box in FPS tends to simulate automatics as firing until the client tells the host it doesn't want to fire anymore. You'll get the benefit of a frames here and there extra of bullets being fired versus a semi-auto rifle. This is why when someone standby'd in Halo 2, if anyone was firing an SMG they'd continue to fire it and then go clickclickclickclickclickclick as they walked into the wall. It's also why I'd tell people in Halo 2 to switch to SMG when a standbyer was trying to arm the bomb, it actually worked at least once where we came back and the bomb carrier had died from our SMGs as he walked in :v

IHaveIce

Banned
Halo 2 Anniversary is such a disappointment.

Trash Spawns on every map, Too many grenades and they are too powerful.
Superstrong autoaim on the plasma pistol to revive the ultimate noob combo.

i doubt I will be happy again with any Halo game.

Thruster and Map Design

Thruster should be modified so that tapping Jump while airborne gives a slight upward boost.

Thruster would be used to clear three main obstacles.

1. Crouch-Thrusting would be used to quickly slide under a crouch height barrier.

2. Jumping forward then Thrusting forward would be used to clear a wide horizontal gap.

3. Jumping upward then Thrust-Jumping upward would be used to clear a high vertical gap.

When a map has multiple obstacles, that each lead to different a path, players must choose which obstacle they wish to clear with their single-use-before-recharge Thruster, in turn choosing which path they wish to take. Of course, the majority of a map's jumps could be accomplished without Thruster but players who use their advanced movement ability to quickly move through previously untraversable areas can gain an advantage over opponents who choose to take the scenic route.

Using Thruster to quickly move through a previously untraversable area allows players to gain a positional advantage over their opponents but leaves their Thruster recharging while they are most likely to encounter an enemy. A player who saves his Thruster for use in battle can thrust sideways like a super strafe, thrust forward to melee an enemy, or thrust backward to avoid damage from an exploding grenade.

Giving players the ability to use Thruster in an offensive manner, in a defensive manner, or for simply traversing the map allows for a wide range of possible outcomes in gameplay without disempowering the player or adding randomness to the game.

Welfare

unfortunately the BR start people are the minority in the grand scheme. Mainly Halo players want to just run around with their machine guns and beat people down.

A lot of people seemed to have bitched for Halo 2 and 3 to go from SMG/AR starts to BR starts.

One solution is just have BR/AR starts. No separate gametypes that clog up voting. Everyone wins!

A lot of people seemed to have bitched for Halo 2 and 3 to go from SMG/AR starts to BR starts.

One solution is just have BR/AR starts. No separate gametypes that clog up voting. Everyone wins!

I've always wondered why this isn't the default. I guess it makes the pistol kind of obsolete?

Chitown B

because the unskilled players don't want the skilled players to have a BR every single game.

Sephzilla

I'm still conflicted on BR starts, to be honest. For larger maps I think its absolutely essential. On smaller maps though, I still kind of like the idea of the BR being a "power weapon" that people have to pick up and thus fight for. And yes, on small and even some mid sized maps the BR is a power weapon - at that point it's a weapon that can quickly kill across the entire map. But the downside to this is that if one team gets multiple BRs on a smaller map, the game becomes a land slide because the Halo 2 SMG and the Halo 3 AR just aren't good enough to fight back usually.

I'd kind of like to experiment with Halo 2 Anniversary a little. With a smaller map like Lockdown or Warlord, reduce the number of BRs that appear on the map to something like 1 or 2 at most and then give everyone AR starts. The H2A AR I actually think is decent enough that it could be viable in a small map scenario like that.

Tawpgun

because the unskilled players don't want the skilled players to have a BR every single game.

Some players for some dumb reason don't like everyone having a BR.

Because having an AR start means they have a reason to pick up the equally dumb plasma rifles/spikers/ etc. And if everyone spawns with a BR they think its unfair because there's no reason to pick up those weapons because BR's tend to outplay them

They want more sandbox variety at the sake of good gameplay. I'm not gonna tell people that they don't have fun (or even more fun) playing AR starts.... but I wish there was a way for me to ALWAYS have BR starts.

I'd even forsake the "equal starts" mantra if it meant I could choose a loadout with a BR.

But realizing this isn't going to happen... 343 needs to make the voting for MCC and Halo 5 consistent. The maps can be randomized. But if you're choosing the slayer playlist there needs to be one option that is BR starts at least. And I wish they would let people preview the settings of a gametype before they vote for it. Like if you highlight the voting option it will tell you starting weapon and stuff.

I've been in situations where the choices are
Team Slayer on Midship
Team BR's on Gemani
and the CE option

And people yell VOTE FOR MIDSHIP. And I try to tell them NO IDIOTS VOTE FOR BR's, I KNOW GEMANI SUCKS AND MIDSHIP IS THE GOAT BUT FUCK PR/SMG STARTS!

And once they loaded it in they apologized because they didn't know Team Slayer didn't have BR's. I feel like there are some people who just want to play slayer and Team BR's sounds like something different.

I'm still conflicted on BR starts, to be honest. For larger maps I think its absolutely essential. On smaller maps though, I still kind of like the idea of the BR being a "power weapon" that people have to pick up and thus fight for. And yes, on small and even some mid sized maps the BR is a power weapon - at that point it's a weapon that can quickly kill across the entire map. But the downside to this is that if one team gets multiple BRs on a smaller map, the game becomes a land slide because the Halo 2 SMG and the Halo 3 AR just aren't good enough to fight back usually.

I'd kind of like to experiment with Halo 2 Anniversary a little. With a smaller map like Lockdown or Warlord, reduce the number of BRs that appear on the map to something like 1 or 2 at most and then give everyone AR starts. The H2A AR I actually think is decent enough that it could be viable in a small map scenario like that.

On Warlock at least spawning with an AR makes you viable. On Lockout... not so much. Once a team locks down one of the towers with a BR yo can't do SHIT. I've been on both ends of a donging party on lockout during SMG starts. Its laughable how easy it is to lock shit down once you get control of the map. Especially if Radar is on also.

But besides the purely gameplay design reasons why BR starts are the best for Halo... I think it's just a more fun weapon to fight with.

AR's you just aim at anywhere, hold trigger down, and get in closer for the kill. Strafing won't do much in an AR fight between two people who are competent at aiming. It's just such a boring fight.

At least with BR's you can engage in multiple distances, get headshots, make a player miss a shot easier... etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom