• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 21| Battle is the Great Redeemer | LIVE. DIE. RESPAWN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoKKeR

TAWPGUN's IMPRESSIONS
snip
Agreed with essentially all of this, good write-up. I like the way Empire plays with the various different visual cues, but I agree it can be hard to tell the difference between Pink and Tower in Truth because of the art direction. I have always loved how "clean" Halo 3 looked (seen in that picture you posted) and I hope they tone down some of the bloom and make it so the visuals don't hamper shooting or locating enemies which is occasionally the case currently.

Sniper Rifle just feels bad all around. I'd be happy if they took it straight from H2A and put it in H5. Agreed that Smart Scope feels natural and I really have no issues with it. Autos could be tuned down a little bit but having competent automatics just adds another layer to the game, as opposed to a match being absolutely dominated by precision weapons... you have a chance off the spawn with the AR/Magnum, which keeps things competitive right away.

The ranking system needs to be expanded/explained more but I like that ranks are displayed prominently... I just hope that there is more distinction between what rank you ACTUALLY are in future versions. (show me with a symbol who is Onyx I vs. Onyx III, etc.) Overall though, I'm really digging it.

Edit:

It is known.

Good to hear.

Tawpgun

It is known.

Yessss

The other issue I hope can be fixed before 29th is kill cams.

I'd like to disable them or make them a button press to bring up.... but even then the issue with them is the recorded gameplay from the kill cam is NOTHING. It shows basically the bullet that killed you and nothing else.

There have been times where I didn't understand how someone killed me, how they got to me, etc. But the kill cam doesn't show enough

29-7-10, game ends 50-44 and we win; we were down a guy too. When there's no input lag or hit registration issues, the game's obviously more fun, BUT motion tracker is the bane of my existence. I find myself watching my motion tracker too much when I should be solely focusing on my surroundings and being effective with all the mobility options. Motion tracker, I feel, may make it such that lesser-skilled players feel they may have to choose one over the other, inhibiting their skill progression.

What's the problem without motion tracker? Why can't they just test it out and give us 100% no radar and see the feedback from that? New game, another chance to groom Halo players without motion tracker but nope.. Still the same despite the legitimate arguments made against it. If 343 is serious about creating a competitive Halo multiplayer, then they need to axe motion tracker.

Nowise10

Why am I still rank Silver, when I have better stats the most Onyx people in Matchmaking in H5?

I still have to rank through Gold I, II, and III to even get into Onyx I. How is anyone even at that rank yet?

Why am I still rank Silver, when I have better stats the most Onyx people in Matchmaking in H5?

I still have to rank through Gold I, II, and III to even get into Onyx I. How is anyone even at that rank yet?

You can start out at Onyx, or even semi-pro. It depends how well you do during your qualifying matches. W/L is what matters here, not KDA.

Nowise10

You can start out at Onyx, or even semi-pro. It depends how well you do during your qualifying matches. W/L is what matters here, not KDA.

That seems kind of backwards to me. I still have better W/L then most Onyx players I've checked, (39 wins out of 50 matches), but because I did bad in my first 9 matches, I get stuck at rank Silver?

hi

pls unfilter steitzer

pls

image.php

Nowise10

Probably because you're playing silver ranked people?

I don't understand what this is implying

edit* Oh, you mean I have better stats because I'm playing with silver ranked? Pretty sure most matches I've been playing have all been mixed with Silver, Gold, and Onyx.

Welfare

Yeah K+A/D should factor somewhat into Rank. Maybe Win/Loss determines your division, than K+A/D determines where in the division you are placed.

For the 10 qualifing matches.

Cross posting from the Halo 5 thread. Thoughts?
I like the two thrust idea, perhaps make it where you have a meter of thrust uses, separated into two sections to indicate energy to thrust.

So say you use two thrusts back to back, the 4 seconds it would normally take would charge one thrust use and an additional 4 secs would charge the second thrust use, meaning 8 seconds you'd have to wait in order to use two thrusts consecutively. If using a thrust at any point before the full charge of two thrusts, it drains the entire meter and you either have to wait 4 seconds for one thrust or 8 seconds for two again.

Defect

I'm searching alone and I face a party of at least 2-3. My team gets an unranked guy who shoots at his teammates. No br/dmr available, can't do shit with an Ar/pistol, I quit.

Br/Ar starts please.

Madness

My issue with things like Hover, Ground Pound, Slide is that if you can go 30 matches without seeing these mechanics in action or using them yourselves, why even include them in the game?

I've come around on clamber, even though it has eliminated the skill of crouch jumps, or even normal jumps. Most stuff that you needed to jump for before, is now able to be ledge grabbed in a sense.

Thruster is good, as is the charge. I dislike sprint. One match with prophets bane on Truth, felt like I was playing Mirrors Edge or something. Probably did 25 laps around a circle full sprint barely stopping. Base movement without sprint feels a bit too slow.

The worst offender is ADS. In a cluttered game where it's already harder to distinguish players especially at distance, it's unnecessary. It feels clunky coming out of sprint or clamber and having to ADS to aim further. Completely makes automatics overpowered at everything upto mid range. DMR is basically useless because of scope, unless there is a large open field for maps, I'd never pick it up, making do with the pistol or BR. I hate ADS so much I only hip fire. But this puts me at a disadvantage because I need to ADS to see or shooter further. Give me back classic click/zoom anyday. To me, ADS in Halo 5 will be flinch in Halo 4. I can play with it, but it will always make the gameplay and gunplay feel disappointing.

I'd like a covenant version of the shotgun.
Plasma based cqc shotty with an alternate firing when using smart scope that adds a skill gap to it when using the alternate mode it has a rapid fire but increases bullet spread.
Descope negates rapid fire.

belushy

Banned
My issue with things like Hover, Ground Pound, Slide is that if you can go 30 matches without seeing these mechanics in action or using them yourselves, why even include them in the game?

I don't think I've seen slide once except for during the 343 stream when Enable was doing it. He was doing it like it increased movement speed (which I believe it does in AW, which might just be a habit for him since he has been grinding that game) so that might be a use for slide. Also apparently Ninja was able to use ground pound for movement.

edit: By the way I don't have access to the beta so you all with access need to be mentioning how dumb grenade hitmarkers are, too.

Not surprised they lied.

So broadly the damage is the same. Can you give me an example of a behavioural change between hip-fire and Smart Scope?

Tim Longo: Spread. Spread of bullets.

Josh Holmes: For example, the SMG, which you might have used, when you free-fire it, it has a very wide spread. When you go into Smart Scope there's a slight narrowing of the spread.

Published 11/12/2014

Omni

What's the problem without motion tracker? Why can't they just test it out and give us 100% no radar and see the feedback from that? New game, another chance to groom Halo players without motion tracker but nope.. Still the same despite the legitimate arguments made against it. If 343 is serious about creating a competitive Halo multiplayer, then they need to axe motion tracker.

No motion tracker is bad. I think it makes the game for the worse when you're playing with randoms. There's no cohesion. Obviously this is just by my experience in other Halos but I don't see why this one would be any different

Wouldn't be opposed to having like a competitive playlist with it disabled. But as default? Not a game I'd ever want to play. Opinions and all that

No motion tracker is bad. I think it makes the game for the worse when you're playing with randoms. There's no cohesion. Obviously this is just by my experience in other Halos but I don't see why this one would be any different

Wouldn't be opposed to having like a competitive playlist with it disabled. But as default? Not a game I'd ever want to play. Opinions and all that
But we have Spartan chatter now, lots of it. We have timers for power weapons and call-outs for those too. So much info on action and feedback as to what's going on in the match without the need for motion tracker.

Booshka

Spartan Callouts and better audio cues marginalize the need for Motion tracker imo.

It's objectively better Halo with the right players, so if Spartan Chatter is tuned to be actually useful info, then even with randoms, it would still be fine to play without motion tracker.

Makes for sicker plays with the new movement abilities anyway.

So broadly the damage is the same. Can you give me an example of a behavioural change between hip-fire and Smart Scope?

Tim Longo: Spread. Spread of bullets.

Josh Holmes: For example, the SMG, which you might have used, when you free-fire it, it has a very wide spread. When you go into Smart Scope there's a slight narrowing of the spread.

Published 11/12/2014

I think he means when they said ADS is purely cosmetic.

Fracas

#fuckonami
ok seriously 343, y'all gotta fix the skill matching holy shit

like every single game is me with a 2.0 k/d while the rest of my team drops like a 3-13 neg bomb

VinFTW

like every single game is me with a 2.0 k/d while the rest of my team drops like a 3-13 neg bomb
To be fair sometimes people just play really bad. :/

Then again, don't think my bad game was ever as bad as 3-13

I've been getting matched against people who shouldn't be matching up with me. I kind of feel bad sometimes when my team wins 50-10. It's not because I'm some god at halo either (I'm above average at best), but I'm just getting matched up with unranked people. It's less of a problem for me and more of a problem for them. The game is much less enjoyable when you're losing like that.

I've seen very few gold/onyx players on the other team.

RoKKeR

If I had to guess, Thruster is far and away the most well-received of all the new additions

It makes evading and engaging so much more fun and (cringe) dynamic. Thrusting to the side to throw off an enemy and popping off one or two more shots to finish the kill is so damn satisfying.

Booshka

I'm over AR/Pistol starts.

Madness, the DMR is easily the best weapon, imo.

does the DMR have a farther range than the BR with aim assist mechanics when not zoomed?

That might be part of what makes it so good, not having to ADS to hit midrange shots with consistency.

Anfony O

does the DMR have a farther range than the BR with aim assist mechanics when not zoomed?

That might be part of what makes it so good, not having to ADS to hit midrange shots with consistency.

I think DMR had a farther range in H4 as well. I remember always using it for distance kills in h4 and the battle rifle for close quarter combat

I think it more has to do with the DMR being single shot and better for range than the BR. Don't really have to ADS all too much if you set up in good positions, but I did pull this off for a kill lol (Stabilize + DMR from close range).

DMR better not get a nerf though.. The gun is sexy.

EDIT:
Radar is trash. It makes it harder to sneak behind the other team, slows the game down, and makes it easier for campers.
Counterproductive to the mobility options we have at our disposal.

CliQ

IuAdy0a.jpg

MCC Throwdown lobby is open!

We have 9 people in a lobby ready to play some CTF BG Halo CE! If you want to play send me a message on Xbox Live. GT - xCliQuEx

See you on the battlefield!

Madness

I'm over AR/Pistol starts.

Madness, the DMR is easily the best weapon, imo.

Probably why I'm scrub-tier Iron right now, almost Gold. I don't know, I just don't see myself picking it up at all. BR gets the job done and also doesn't clutter up your screen with the scope. I have always loved the DMR, I love single shot precision weapons better than burst fire, but so far, haven't really found the DMR to be much help. Pistol, BR, SMG basically carry you for any situation in the maps so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom