• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 21| Battle is the Great Redeemer | LIVE. DIE. RESPAWN.

Status
Not open for further replies.
uhhh

how is it any different

weapons have always been more accurate when you zoom in Halo. But the scoped SMG hasn't been in Halo multiplayer ever before H2A, and the AR has never had a scope before. It's just something new that we've sort of never experienced before. I honestly don't think it's that big of a deal, though I wouldn't mind them taking the scope ability away from the AR if it's going to be a starting weapon.

343, change week 1 to br starts. AR starts are just so bad.
Magnum still isn't where I would like it to be. Needs an increase in its RRR (Red Reticle Range) if they're serious about AR/Magnum starts. Been using A LOT of the Magnum to be able to seriously see how much of a contender it can be, but nope. Once the other team picks up BR's it's GG for you, especially with motion tracker.

First game, sprint sprint sprint sprint run away run away run away run away

Fuck................... will this be Halo 5? I don't think I can take another Halo game like this, might need to see that hypnotist after all.

It's so terrible.

EDIT:

Motion tracker with these mobility options leads to frustration like no other. I don't think I can take what Halo's come to with 100% nonstop sprint and motion tracker.

Your games go very differently than mine.

Also, you can't really use sprint to run away. Forget the shield thing, you'll get pinged out of it 9 times out of 10.

MegalonJJ

Banned
I thought Frankie or someone from 343i told us "no penalty for hip fire" and that it's "only there for babbys." What's the deal, man?

I don't know for definite but it looks like what you're referring to is a story to keep you quiet, think of Mouse-ville from the Green Mile.

I'd hate to be this guy

Percy-Wetmore-the-green-mile-20526440-720-400.jpg

Your games go very differently than mine.

Also, you can't really use sprint to run away. Forget the shield thing, you'll get pinged out of it 9 times out of 10.
I find it too easy to sprint into cover then thrust to gain extra distance to restart the shield recharge, especially on a map like Empire. Motion tracker makes this exponentially worse.

That's where the biggest issue may lie, the got damn motion tracker..

I find it too easy to sprint into cover then thrust to gain extra distance to restart the shield recharge, especially on a map like Empire. Motion tracker makes this exponentially worse.

That's where the biggest issue may lie, the got damn motion tracker..

Again, though, the majority of the time I can't even get into sprint when I'm trying to escape from a fire fight, unless they're trying to use a BR at super close range or something. I just get popped out of it.

As for motion tracker, well, isn't Breakout supposed to be radar-free?

Ramirez

The game really falls apart at the higher levels with radar and AR/Pistol starts.

I mean these dudes I'm facing would beat me even if I started with a BR, but I might feel like I have a chance off spawn every once in a while.

^ breakout isn't Halo...

Defect

Am I the only one that feels like the reticule is pushing away from the enemy? Like reverse aim assist? It's fucking weird. It's mostly on the dmr for me.

Again, though, the majority of the time I can't even get into sprint when I'm trying to escape from a fire fight, unless they're trying to use a BR at super close range or something. I just get popped out of it.

As for motion tracker, well, isn't Breakout supposed to be radar-free?
Yay, one gametype.
Here, have a clip that features both input lag on sprint and a hit registration farce.

http://youtu.be/Xklr5GURdEY
It's so annoying to have good aiming but your shots are not registering, especially the input lag.
I thought you were a sprint supporter Funknown? Lol
Nope, I've always said increasing base speed is the best option, but that I'm open minded about sprint under certain circumstances. These conditions have yet to be met.

EDIT:
The game really falls apart at the higher levels with radar and AR/Pistol starts.

I mean these dudes I'm facing would beat me even if I started with a BR, but I might feel like I have a chance off spawn every once in a while.
Agreed. Magnum needs a RRR buff and motion tracker needs to go.

CE Magnum in this game might even be delicious with all the mobility options we have.

Tawpgun

TAWPGUN's IMPRESSIONS

Played a day and a half and I guess I'll write down my thoughts.

Art/Aesthetics
I don't like. Too much of that 343 haze going on. Everything just blends in, there's no visual clarity. When I start on red or blue on Truth I have no idea which direction Pink Tower is because everything looks the same. Also, the spartans blend in super well in each of the bases. I completely overlooked a red guy crouched in red base when I was at Car for the longest time.

Empire is also very busy visually. Due to the strong lighting in the level and the industrial human aesthetic. But much clearer than Truth due to less bloom/haze from the lighting.

I think if you load up Heretic in H3 MCC it looks better than Truth.
h3_heretic07-large.jpg

Gunplay
VERY solid. With a few exceptions. Sniper seems off. The zoom in animation is weird and it has a strange overlay on the scope. While I don't REALLY mind the ADS on the AR, I think it should just be removed. Reduce aim assist on the AR if possible.

Maps
Truth is good. Big, but I guess it has to be now. Aesthetics are bad though like I mentioned. They could also use a carbine at carbine tower.... I think having a shotty spawn bottom mid to counter the sword would be good too.

Empire: Could use SOME geometry tweaking. I don't really like the sightlines. Too narrow, especially with everyone having sprint/thrust.

Also, it's cool having one snipe spawn, but the other power weapon should be something else. 2 snipers on that small map? Nah.

Spartan Abilities
Sprint: Would prefer it gone like many people but it really doesn't bother me. Shield recharge mechanic on it is good. If it's here to stay... I guess its not so bad.

Slide: Pointless. The one ability I haven't found a use for. Maybe it would be good with the shotgun for closing the gap? That's the only reason I could see myself use it. Maybe if you could use it without reaching max sprint it would be good. Meaning if you need to gtfo and get low in a hurry you can hit sprint and crouch and the spartan would do a slide.

Hover/Stabilizers: Turn them to manual BY DEFAULT. While on Manual I love them. I've been able to use that extra time in the air to get shots off. I really like what it adds to your combat options. Might even be cool to be able to activate it while not zoomed in.

Ground Pound: I'm indifferent but something needs to be done so I can ghandi hop and crouch jump without activating this. At any high level play I think it's a dumb move all around. But damn is it satisfying to pull off. It's one of those things that the risks kinda outweigh the rewards, but the style points are huge. If someone pulls this off in a tournament the crowd would go nuts. I've started to be able to use it a lot better.

Clamber: Thought I would hate it. Just kinda indifferent. It gets rid of timing and skill jumps but it makes movement SO much more fluid. Keep it imo. Perhaps add some skill to it by making it so if you land a jump and you just BARELY miss it, the clamber is really fast. But if you missed it and are like waist/reticle level with the ledge the clamber will be slower as you pull yourself up. This way people who land the jumps right will be rewarded. Just a thought.

Thruster: SO GOOD.

Smart Scoped: On traditionally scoped weapons, I really don't notice it. Yes even on the DMR. It truly is cosmetic. I can dig it on the SMG since its a pick up that shreds people at close-mid. On the AR, I really don't feel annoyed by it, I just think it's silly and the new AR is powerful enough without it. Remove it off the AR, but overall Smart Scope ain't nothin to worry about.

Movement
Love the new movement options in this game. I think base speed could use a 5-10% increase. Haven't had as much luck using the classic strafe.

Medals and Steitzer
Both need to calm down. I LOVE some of the medals and the steitzer that goes along with it. Perfect is an awesome medal. I like reversal too. Others are just silly. Hard Target, Big Game Hunter, Cliff hanger. Airborne Snapshot.... I'm ok with these being medals but Steitzer doesn't need to say them.

Spartan Chatter
Needs to be toned down, and it will be according to Frankie. I like the enemy and POWER weapon call outs. But the "YOU"RE A MACHINE KEEP IT UP" and "I PICKED UP A DMR" are dumn and pointless. Even the friendly fire and grenade spam ones are silly considering there is no friendly fire. If there was I would appreciate it. I guess if FF can be turned on they'd be nice to have.

Kill Cam
I think Kill Cams can be interesting, but they shouldn't play right away or should be optional. I hate how it goes to kill cam immediately after death so you can't even see if the guy you were shooting was cleaned up or if you got a kill beyond the grave. Ideally, it should be the classic Halo death cam, with a "press X to view kill cam" prompt if you are really curious.

Needs to be a final kill cam also. Would be preferable to spartan dudes fiving each other.

Ranks
Can we get a more in depth conversation on these? I do not understand the metrics behind them. What the performance increase/decrease amount is and how it is calculated. What qualifies a person for their starting tier. How does it change once you get to Pro or Semi Pro.

Sound
I actually don't hate all the beeps but I do think its a bit of sensory overload sometimes. Sometimes I can't tell when my shields have popped.

Miscellaneous/Bugs
Party system/UI is messed up. MM crashes a lot. Active Roster is wonky. Duplicate names in lobbies. The lobby itself looks super barren. Armor during customization won't render properly.

I think the BR/DMR/SMG and those tier weapons on the map need a Halo 2 Anniversary Icon to help me find them.

The game chat is all messed up too. It won't load in until after the game is all matched up

And where is the classic halo respawn sound? Beep beep beep BEEEEP. 343 will kill Halo if this isn't added in.

OVERALL: I love it. Has its issues but I really like it. They doin goooood.

Empire is also very busy visually. Due to the strong lighting in the level and the industrial human aesthetic. But much clearer than Truth due to less bloom/haze from the lighting.

I think if you load up Heretic in H3 MCC it looks better than Truth.
Breaks. My. Heart.

Why does Halo need to be so busy? CLEAN and PRISTINE. Simplicity >

I'll write up detailed impressions after more time but so far I really, really enjoyed what I played. Played it for four hours straight today and want to play more. Probably won't be able to play again until the beta launches proper. Just hope they can smooth out the input lag on sprint, weapon switch, weapon pickup etc

Oh and I actually prefer ADS on automatics because they improve range. ADS on the precision weapons on the other hand feels awkward and I'd much prefer a more classic Halo scope on those.

Exactly how many weapons are supposed to be in the proper beta?
I heard they also mentioned how many unannounced ones we will find, anyone?

11, apparently. AR, SMG, BR, DMR, Magnum, Tuberocket, Sword, Hydra, and 3 more I don't think we've gotten a good look at yet.

EDIT: Wait, no, we've also seen the Light Rifle. So 2 mystery guns.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
the more i play the more frustrated i'm getting with the AR/SMG. seems everyone is using it and they are just too fucking good. been getting matched with "pros" whose weapon of choice is always one of those two. this needs some tuning, at this point its pretty silly.

belushy

Banned
11 weapons. Right now there are 7. The others will probably be the Hydra, the Light Rifle, Plasma pistol, maybe another brand new weapon/Carbine.

I think the regular sword also counts towards that. I'm betting we see the new rocket launcher as well.

I'll write up detailed impressions after more time but so far I really, really enjoyed what I played. Played it for four hours straight today and want to play more. Probably won't be able to play again until the beta launches proper. Just hope they can smooth out the input lag on sprint, weapon switch, weapon pickup etc

Oh and I actually prefer ADS on automatics because they improve range. ADS on the precision weapons on the other hand feels awkward and I'd much prefer a more classic Halo scope on those.

You should talk more when you're streaming btw, that guy Jeff, man he never shut up. I tell you.

Too much of that 343 haze going on. Everything just blends in, there's no visual clarity. When I start on red or blue on Truth I have no idea which direction Pink Tower is because everything looks the same. Also, the spartans blend in super well in each of the bases. I completely overlooked a red guy crouched in red base when I was at Car for the longest time.

This is basically my one major issue atm. I think everything plays very well, but the maps could really benefit from being less busy/foggy. There are spots on Truth where you really just can't see shit due to all the lighting and haze.

11, apparently. AR, SMG, BR, DMR, Magnum, Tuberocket, Sword, Hydra, and 3 more I don't think we've gotten a good look at yet.

EDIT: Wait, no, we've also seen the Light Rifle. So 2 mystery guns.

11 weapons. Right now there are 7. The others will probably be the Hydra, the Light Rifle, Plasma pistol, maybe another brand new weapon/Carbine.

We have

BR85HB battle rifle
Hydra
M395 DMR
M45 shotgun
M6H magnum
M7 SMG
MA5D assault rifle
SRS99-S5 AM sniper rifle
Type-1 energy sword
Prophets' Bane
Unidentified rocket launcher
Z-250 lightrifle

Ignore nades and folding the Bane into the envelope of the sword.
Nine returning weapons and two new and known so far. Total of 11 guns/weapons confirmed already. The limit most be more if there are yet unannounced weapons.

We have

BR85HB battle rifle
Hydra
M395 DMR
M45 shotgun
M6H magnum
M7 SMG
MA5D assault rifle
SRS99-S5 AM sniper rifle
Type-1 energy sword
Prophets' Bane
Z-250 lightrifle

Nine returning weapons and two new and known so far. Total of 11 guns/weapons confirmed already. The limit most be more if there are yet unannounced weapons.

Oh, huh. Well, there it is.

TheOddOne

We have

BR85HB battle rifle
Hydra
M395 DMR
M45 shotgun
M6H magnum
M7 SMG
MA5D assault rifle
SRS99-S5 AM sniper rifle
Type-1 energy sword
Prophets' Bane
Z-250 lightrifle

Welp, there it is.

Also no Shotgun? No Shotgun.

Welfare

We have

BR85HB battle rifle
Hydra
M395 DMR
M45 shotgun
M6H magnum
M7 SMG
MA5D assault rifle
SRS99-S5 AM sniper rifle
Type-1 energy sword
Prophets' Bane
Z-250 lightrifle

Isn't the Hydra the "unidentfied" Rocket?

Madness

Thanks for your interest in the Halo Community Feedback Program!

[bThe program is currently only open to US residents who are 18 years of age or older.[/b]

Damn, would have liked to join so I could share my thoughts.

belushy

Banned
Isn't the Hydra the "unidentfied" Rocket?

No, we have normal rocket launcher (new design) and the Hydra.

-----

Also Josh Holmes seemed unsure that the shotgun was in the beta or not. He was asked a question about the shotgun during the 343 beta stream yesterday.

blamite

Episode 3 of the Sprint is out, btw. It's about Truth and Regret, the Midship Remix. Also it confirms Empire is the remixed version of another map called Eden. That's probably the night version of the map we've seen a little bit.

CliQ

IuAdy0a.jpg

***FINAL REMINDER***

Tonight is the Throwdown! My lobby will be open around 930pm EST. If you would like to play send me a PM with your GT or message me on XBL (xCliQuEx).

See you on the battlefield!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom