• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 21| Battle is the Great Redeemer | LIVE. DIE. RESPAWN.

Status
Not open for further replies.
LdT3ubn.gif

looksa lika forge to meeee

Looks pretty good.

nope we got booted and can't get back in. I think they shut down early.

Maybe. Could just be more server issues.

What do you guys think of the ADS in the time you guys have spent playing the beta? Do you want the old style back? Or do you like it the way it is now?

dwells

Some of you need to calm down. Both his parents are disabled and can't work (or one can barely work a part time job). All of his winnings went into taking care of his family and paying the bills for them. He doesn't WANT to sell his car for obvious and necessary care reasons. He will if he has too. I'm not defending punching something, but it was a simple little small thing who would have thought it'd do that much damage? I've punched something out of anger once or twice.
Taking care of your family and not having anything left of $325,000 doesn't make any sense, especially since the parents would be receiving disability pay.

He did something immature, and now it's time to face the consequences. To ask other people to pay for your immature actions, especially when considering you've likely made far more money than the people you're asking, is disgusting.

I get that things happen and you get angry. A decade and change ago, teenage brat me put a hole through some drywall in my bedroom. But I wasn't dumb enough to punch a solid floor at full force, and I didn't ask anyone else to pay for my mistakes. I got a patch kit and paint and owned up to my stupidity. If a thirteen year old can do that, then a 22 year old who's made several hundred thousand can pay for his own surgery.

What do you guys think of the ADS in the time you guys have spent playing the beta? Do you want the old style back? Or do you like it the way it is now?

I... actually kind of like it. It gives automatics a legitimate place in the sandbox, rather than something you throw away ASAP. The BR scope actually looks nice, and the DMR is... actually, I'm undecided about that one. Tunnel vision is an interesting way to balance a weapon, and I'm not 100% sure how to feel about it.

The one thing I'm more negative about is the sword one. Thing's lethal enough with the speed boost and passive high lunge range.

darthbob

I tell you, the return to battlefield shit is the most annoying thing ever. I loved exploring parts of the campaign/maps in H3. I dunno why it's still there :'(

It's there because unlike in H1 and H2, a lot more detail needs to go into the playable areas. These modern day out-of-bounds areas don't get really any attention and thus looks pretty shit, so you're locked out of exploring.

Taking care of your family and not having anything left of $325,000 doesn't make any sense, especially since the parents would be receiving disability pay.

He did something immature, and now it's time to face the consequences. To ask other people to pay for your immature actions, especially when considering you've likely made far more money than the people you're asking, is disgusting.

I get that things happen and you get angry. A decade and change ago, teenage brat me put a hole through some drywall in my bedroom. But I wasn't dumb enough to punch a solid floor at full force, and I didn't ask anyone else to pay for my mistakes. I got a patch kit and paint and owned up to my stupidity. If a thirteen year old can do that, then a 22 year old who's made several hundred thousand can pay for his own surgery.

I think you might be underestimating the cost of treatment here, depending on the specifics of their conditions (which I'm admittedly unfamiliar with). That shit gets real pricy, real fast.

DeadNames

Banned
It's there because unlike in H1 and H2, a lot more detail needs to go into the playable areas. These modern day out-of-bounds areas don't get really any attention and thus looks pretty shit, so you're locked out of exploring.

That's what I thought.

I remember back during Reach's prime people would go out of the level that had Spire on it and see the low poly Vehicles.

Side note: Reach, IMHO, was more technologically impressive than Halo 4.

VinFTW

I think you might be underestimating the cost of treatment here, depending on the specifics of their conditions (which I'm admittedly unfamiliar with). That shit gets real pricy, real fast.
Nah man.

Living with disabled parents with winnings from halo is a cinch.

/s

Fuchsdh

That's what I thought.

I remember back during Reach's prime people would go out of the level that had Spire on it and see the low poly Vehicles.

I think objectively Halo 4 is more impressive on a technological level, but I can see the argument that Reach used its tech for more engaging end results. Mostly it just kind of made me mad that all these crazy fights were happening in the distance... and I was stuck on this cliff doing small potatoes. For the most part encounters felt more hemmed in compared to Halo 3's big epic moments, despite the greater detail in what was going on beyond.

If only there were mechanisms that paid large medical bills for you, should you incur any, in exchange for a regular fee.

-Ryn

Banned
Could someone link me to that H5 Controller template please?

Those weapons aren't intentionally crippled when unscoped. I rarely scope my BR, pretty much only when a target is too far away to see. That's all a scope should be - a zoom.
When a gun in past Halos zooms in, the reticle has never gotten bigger. It stays the same size thus increasing the effective range of your weapon.

It doesn't matter what the "intent" was if the effect is still the same. Saying the automatics are "intentionally crippled" because they aren't as effective when fired regularly doesn't work. Even without ADS this is the most powerful AR we've seen yet aside from maybe CE. So how is giving an automatic zoom any more crippling than with a precision weapon?

HTupolev

It's a lot of compromization.

Reach has more layering and stuff going on in the skyboxes, mostly more expressive lighting (and higher-quality dynamic lights), better-animated water, (albeit pretty shitty) motion blur, seemingly more particles, more complex gameplay environments...

Halo 4 has arguably better image quality (not all-round, but Reach's MB+TAA definitely isn't flawless), better single-screen performance, denser close-in geometry, a more sophisticated shadowing system, and a more sophisticated animation system.

Regardless of which one's "more impressive", though, I think Reach looks a hell of a lot better.

Mostly it just kind of made me mad that all these crazy fights were happening in the distance... and I was stuck on this cliff doing small potatoes. For the most part encounters felt more hemmed in compared to Halo 3's big epic moments, despite the greater detail in what was going on beyond.
To some extent there's not that much "greater detail" in the beyond; there's more stuff, but it more frequently tends toward low-quality. What's astounding with Halo 3 is that a fair amount of the "skybox" stuff is actually extremely real; shit, they gave the pelicans full-on gameplay-area AI despite them not really being able to do anything.

Reach has a more... "refined" distribution of detail.

Madness

Old style back by a landslide. It's added nothing to the gameplay for me, and feels like no real positive at all. Something shoehorned in to appease a vocal minority. I have a feeling, I'd probably enjoy the game much more if it didn't have it at all. Just my opinion though.

More reasonable than spending hundreds of thousands of dollars on ???? and then begging people for money, at least.

Not necessarily. My mom had a hell of a time getting health insurance, since she was (very, very briefly) on pre-diabetes meds, the stuff they give you when they think you're at risk.

ANYWAY. The point is that there's enough uncertainty that maybe dumping on Pistola without hearing the full story is premature.

MouldyK

Watched the latest Sprint Episode.

Could not believe someone tried saying 343's TVs were bad to cover up for him probably playing poorly at a new game lol.

IHaveIce

Banned
Ola should get a job like most of us do in the real world.

Also it just shows how fucled up your health insurance system is in the US, I'm really thankful for how it is here in Germany.

I would not donate a dime.
Edit: well I maybe would donate for helping his parents, I donate a lot of money through the year to disabled people or children without a home though I will donate anything on someone being able to play Halo.

I wonder if power-ups are on the map. But maybe special power weapons that carry attributes like the Prophets Bane adding a speed boost will replace them. It's an interesting theory. Like how a special grav-hammer but instead it's the Fist of Rukt: http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Fist_of_Rukt with added attribute either being overshield or damage boost.

-Ryn

Banned
Taking care of your parents is all well and good but there's no way he can't afford to pay for this with that much from winnings. Maybe there's more to it. *shrug*

LdT3ubn.gif

looksa lika forge to meeee
All that space... YEEESSSSS!!

When i saw that clip I was super excited that we could go out there.

Then I saw "Return to Battlefield!"

I tell you, the return to battlefield shit is the most annoying thing ever. I loved exploring parts of the campaign/maps in H3. I dunno why it's still there :'(
I think that was a manually set one since it goes away just before he lands. There's hope!

Ola should get a job like most of us do in the real world.

Also it just shows how fucled up your health insurance system is in the US, I'm really thankful for how it is here in Germany.

I would not donate a dime.
Edit: well I maybe would donate for helping his parents, I donate a lot of money through the year to disabled people or children without a home though I will donate anything on someone being able to play Halo.

Same deal here as a Canadian. Blows my mind when I hear stories like this. The way I see it, maybe him "crowd funding"
begging
is a bit in bad taste, but if it does get funded good for him, honestly. He's using the resources at his disposal to solve a problem. If his job is pro player, then one of his biggest sources of income aside from winnings (which probably won't be consistent) is probably from sponsors or donations anyway, if he doesn't work outside of pro gaming (how difficult is it to juggle a job and be a pro player? Don't they practice like 50 hours a week?).

Hopefully he learns something. But there's probably a better lesson learned if he doesn't get funded. That said, punching a floor when your profession counts on your hands working optimally is pretty short sighted. Treat your hands as a surgeon would.

In the end, I still find it crazy that anyone has had to resort to this type of thing in his country...

ultimota

some of the comments about the Pistola situation have me frustrated but i will just say what i said in Mikwens stream.

Making a mistake like hitting the stage (we've all done stupid shit in our frustration) should NOT exclude you from help

I wonder if power-ups are on the map. But maybe special power weapons that carry attributes like the Prophets Bane adding a speed boost will replace them. It's an interesting theory. Like how a special grav-hammer but instead it's the Fist of Rukt: http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Fist_of_Rukt with added attribute either being overshield or damage boost.

If having a weapon equipped gives the player Damage Boost, then that just means the weapon has a permanently increased damage output. I don't want any weapon giving out Overshield.

Madness

some of the comments about the Pistola situation have me frustrated but i will just say what i said in Mikwens stream.

Making a mistake like hitting the stage (we've all done stupid shit in our frustration) should NOT exclude you from help

But it shouldn't exclude you from rightful criticism either. He's a grown man punching walls because he lost. His injury is entirely his fault, as is not having any kind of medical insurance in the US. He's free to ask for help, try and gain sympathy all he wants, and others are free to criticize him for it as well. He's certainly well off enough to pay for the injury, it shouldn't be crowdfunded as if there are no options.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom