• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 21| Battle is the Great Redeemer | LIVE. DIE. RESPAWN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoKKeR

Early access over. Sad poodle is sad.

Final weapon balance thoughts: drop the base range and the ADS range on the AR a smidge, up the Magnum range a tad as well as the clip size (15 rounds, maybe?), and leave everything else the way it is, at least for now.
Agreed.

wwm0nkey

/r/halo is the only reason I know it's in, lol. I didn't even notice it until it got pointed out to me :p
I dare you to no scope someone with a sniper.

It's most noticible there, but its still bad to have in general considering it effects traditional aiming and its REALLY FUCKING ANNOYING.

I'm fine with most stuff in H5 honestly but I really hope they take that garbage out.

Madness

Are people really okay with Sprint and thruster though, even with the nerf? I found the game plays largely the same, still cat and mouse and basically chasing someone who hides and watches motion tracker.

I mean, my playing is near identical to how it was in Halo 4, the nerf hasn't done much beyond running away further than before to get recharge bar down and for Shields to come back. Movement without sprint is still too slow. I seriously hope there are toggles for everything though.

I dare you to no scope someone with a sniper.

It's most noticible there, but its still bad to have in general considering it effects traditional aiming and its REALLY FUCKING ANNOYING.

I'm fine with most stuff in H5 honestly but I really hope they take that garbage out.

I can't noscope anyone with the sniper anyway, lol.

-Ryn

Banned
LdT3ubn.gif

looksa lika forge to meeee
I think those rock formations he ground pounded between might've been created in Forge. If so this looks solid. I wonder how big this area is...

Just got back from the bar, so I think its the perfect time to give my thoughts on the H5 early beta. If my formatting and and spelling is messed up in this post blame it on the alcohol yo.

GROUND POUND - I'm surprised at how much I like it. When I first saw it in the reveal my first thought was how OP it was going to be and how much people are going to spam it. I was kind of wrong, that shit is hard as hell to use!

ADS - i don't really know if I like or hate the ads in the game. The only one that I know I don't like is the DMR. I cant see anything. The AR ADS looks kinda neat lol

SPRINT - Meh.

THRUSTERS Thrusters are the best.

BR - BR is still goat. The only thing that kind of bugs me is the sound. It sounds like its only firing one bullet.

PISTOL/MAGNUM OR WHATEVER IT CALLED - I think it needs to be buffed. I get melted by the autos up close and i'm no match against the BR and DMR from distance. Or maybe i just suck, who knows.

CLAMBER - I think its ok. Barely missing a jump then hitting the button to climb was cool once in a while.

DISLIKES

HAZE- There's this weird haze that makes it hard to see people sometimes. It felt like my spartan was mouth breathing and steaming up the inside of his helmet.

KILL CAM - I think the kill cam was my least favorite part of the beta. It just feels unnecessary and its pretty jarring when it immediately cuts to the footage and only shows like 1 second. Id definitely like to toggle that off.

CONTROLS - I cant quite put my finger on what makes it feel a little clunky but i think it could use some improvements. I play Bumper Jumper btw

fin

I really enjoyed the beta and definitely want to play some more. I think those are my impressions. I cant remember if im forgetting anything...

EDIT: I almost forgot. The headshot sound is the best sound EVER!!!!! It makes landing that headshot feel so good!

VinFTW

Didn't get to play nearly as much as you guys, got my qualifying matches in and hit semi pro, which was a blast just with that.

I don't want to get crucified but it's the most fun I've had since Halo 3.

It has some serious potential, and I really feel like it fits in well with what you would expect a spartan to do and not just copying popular mechanics from recent games.

Halo might have found its unique taste and flair. Let's focus on building on it and refining (and not just piling on other stuff as we go).

I'd rate the beta a B+ with potential for an A+ At release if we can get the small things/weapon balancing right (maybe more penalty to sprint, flinch removed, etc).

I'll still have my huge write up post Beta (with tldr section so no eyes glaze over) if anybody is interested in reading it.

What do you guys rate it in the school like grading system?

Didn't get to play nearly as much as you guys, got my qualifying matches in and hit semi pro, which was a blast just with that.

I don't want to get crucified but it's the most fun I've had since Halo 3.

It has some serious potential, and I really feel like it fits in well with what you would expect a spartan to do and not just copying popular mechanics from recent games.

Halo might have found its unique taste and flair. Let's focus on building on it and refining (and not just piling on other stuff as we go).

I'd rate the beta a B+ with potential for an A+ At release if we can get the small things/weapon balancing right (maybe more penalty to sprint, flinch removed, etc).

I'll still have my huge write up post Beta (with tldr section so no eyes glaze over) if anybody is interested in reading it.

What do you guys rate it in the school like grading system?

Why would you be crucified? This is the happiest I've seen halogaf, the overwhelming majority of this community enjoyed the beta.

Purely judging the beta only and MM, most fun since H3 for me too.

VinFTW

Why would you be crucified? This is the happiest I've seen halogaf, the overwhelming majority of this community enjoyed the beta.

Purely judging the beta only and MM, most fun since H3 for me too.
I guess I'm just in disbelief of the state of HaloGAF. Makes me happy to see us enjoy something together with the recent catastrophe that is/was MCC finally.

Glad you guys agree though. This community can do some good with feedback, especially since we have a lot of 343 regulars here.

Good time to be apart of HGaf.

What a mood swing HaloGAF had been, but I'm happy H5 is being received so positively, can't wait to play it on the 29th! I hope the MCC keeps getting patched during all this though. It is an acceptable working state for me and a chunk of others, but for another chunk of people, it continues to be broken.

BadRamen

Ugh, just played a match where I got lured into a vocal debate with some trolls on MCC which lead to spamming party invites to me. I should probably just turn off all chat for voice... Or all voice completely... :/

amardilo

2. MCC is finally in a usable state for the vast majority of users. If you're still unable to matchmake, we'd VERY much like to see your gamertag and use it to figure out some weird edge cases.

How do I get this info to you (the Waypoint forums seems like there is way too much going on for anything I post to get noticed)?

I've not been able to get into a multiplayer game since launch. I've not tried to play the game since the latest update as I gave up and decided to wait until I got feedback from more people/friends that it is working (one said he waited 20 minutes and couldn't get into a game so I didn't even attempt to try it).

jem0208

How do I get this info to you (the Waypoint forums seems like there is way too much going on for anything I post to get noticed)?

I've not been able to get into a multiplayer game since launch. I've not tried to play the game since the latest update as I gave up and decided to wait until I got feedback from more people/friends that it is working (one said he waited 20 minutes and couldn't get into a game so I didn't even attempt to try it).
They'll have loads of statistics such as the average matchmaking time and the number of failed attempts I assume.

You really can't use community forums as a measure of how well the game is working. Those with a problem are going to be far more vocal.

That said, game still doesn't work for me...

I would suggest using the support sub forums on Waypoint. Create a thread in the appropriate game support forum and make notes on your GT with specific details or game links if possible etc.

Omni

Anyone else have trouble orientating themselves on Empire? Like once you get your bearings everything is alright. But occasionally on spawn I found myself running in a circle once or twice just to try and figure out where I was and what I was looking at exactly. There's just so much... clutter... inside

Never really had that problem on other Halo maps. Probably just me though xD

nillapuddin

Kill cam I can really really live without

But game winning kill cam needs to be a thing more than ever, you can't do
e
sports and not have instant replay for game winners

Madness

Can't even teabag final kill because the dudebro poses start up right as the match ends. That's one thing I hope they just cut. Same with killcams and music. I found myself more often than not getting upset because I didn't know what happened after my kill, did my grenade connect, did the guy get shot by my teammates etc. Make it optional like press X to see your death.

The Flash

Banned
Seems a good portion of HaloGAF enjoyed the beta. I'm pleasantly surprised. Only got to play on Friday myself but the little I played was enjoyable aside from getting team killed every five seconds.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
I was watching Walshy last night on his Twitch channel and he seems to be liking Halo 5 so far. I highly value his opinion on Halo, I think he offers a lot of insight and feedback because he approaches the game in a completely different way than the avg Halo player.

Akai__

So, am I the only not enjoying the Halo Beta as much as I should?

I mean, if the Beta/game (and I hate to use this arguement) was an other game, I would say I had lots of fun, but if I have to judge it based on what Halo made Halo for me/us... Not so much. It feels so strange to me. :/

TTUVAPOR

Banned

I mean, if the Beta/game (and I hate to use this arguement) was an other game, I would say I had lots of fun, but if I have to judge it based on what Halo made Halo for me/us... Not so much. It feels so strange to me. :/

I have a feeling my friends and I are going to approach the beta in the same light as what you just posted. If the game doesn't feel like Halo to me, I know I'm not going to enjoy it.

I'm really going to keep an open mind playing it once the open beta releases on the 29th, but to be honest, I watch some Twitch streams and it just doesn't have that swagger I was hoping for.

What's really funny is that Halo 5 made it to like the top three or four most watched Twitch channels, then after a 24 hour period, it dropped off big time. It's as if people watched it and then said...nah, I'll pass.

I really do wish though that this game was built for Halo fans, not COD fans and not any other "its what players expect" fans.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
So to those who have played in the beta so far, how would you compare your thoughts with what Josh had said on Team Beyond forums:

Thanks for being patient guys, it was a late night.

I’m going to try my best to explain some of the thinking behind the inclusion of sprint and other abilities so that you can better understand where we are coming from. Not trying or expecting to convince anyone, just hoping to shed some light. I should also mention that while I am going to try and summarize a bunch of shared thoughts and experiential goals from our team, it’s impossible for me to represent each individual team member’s perspective. We spend countless hours discussing and debating everything that goes into the game as a natural part of development and it’s tough to do justice to that ongoing discourse here.

Now, to take a quick step back and talk more generally about goals for H5G and Spartan Abilities…

One of the fundamental goals that we start with for the game is “immersion,” which I’ll just use as shorthand for creating and maintaining an active sense of belief on the part of the player in everything that they are experiencing. This unpacks to a lot more complexity than I am going to dive into, but at the most basic level we are trying to simulate the act of a bipedal hero moving through an environment from first person perspective. We want to convince the player that this illusion is true. We start with questions like: what would it feel like to move? To shoot? Upon that foundation we consider the actions and capabilities that should be available to a Spartan on the battlefield. What are the unique capabilities available to a Spartan? How should those feel? This is based on established lore and our individual perceptions. To achieve an immersive experience, we first ground our portrayal of actions in what it feels like a human being in our world (that’s the common lens that we all use as reference) and then we adapt those actions to reflect what it would be like to be a kick-ass Spartan wrapped in Mjolnir assault armor.

The desire to maximize immersion goes beyond just the portrayal of actions themselves and extends to the possibility space that should exist for players within the moment-to-moment of combat. What options or choices would I as a Spartan expect to have within combat? Gunplay is obviously paramount, and we focus a crazy amount of time on nailing the feel of firing the weapons in our game to make sure that they have weight and impact. In addition to rock-solid gunplay, with H5G we are striving to provide a focused suite of mobility-based actions that reinforce the experience of fighting as a Spartan. We specifically chose to focus on mobility because it was the part of the Spartan experience that we felt was the most under-developed and had the most promise to deliver a fresh and exciting new play experience for Halo. It’s something that we started talking about midway through Halo 4 and it became a foundational part of the design intention for Halo 5.

We want each of the new abilities to expand the possibility space for competitive combat in meaningful ways. They should provide players with new tools to create on the battlefield and present interesting choices on both sides of an encounter. At the same time we don’t want these tools to result in imbalance or chaos. When Halo is working well there is structure and flow to the combat, with a unique back-and-forth, move / counter-move experience that provides depth and opportunities to enhance the skill gap between players. That’s what we’ve been focusing on for Halo 5 MP.

Some of the Spartan Abilities are core mobility options like Clamber, Sprint and Thruster that allow for more fluid and natural movement through the environment. They should augment combat in interesting ways, when used effectively. Other abilities are offensive in nature and more oriented toward “crowd-pleaser” moves (like Charge or Ground Pound) that provide a big punctuation point in a match. At a competitive level you are not going to see many GPs attempted in close games because the risk is too high. But when someone does go for it and manages to land it, they deliver a big wow moment that pays off both for them and the viewers of the match.

Going back to sprint… why have it in Halo?

As a Spartan, it makes sense that you can push yourself in a situation where survival is imperative. It’s an action that feels natural in the context of a firefight. It’s the extra gear that a Spartan draws upon if they focus purely on mobility and speed.
It creates opportunities and meaningful choices on offense and defense. On offense you can commit to an aggressive push or flank at a slight cost to weapon readiness. On defense, you can try for a rapid retreat but it carries the trade-off of stalling your shield recharge. Should you be able to escape from a situation where you are over-matched or have lost the upper hand? Yes, in a skillful manner (using mobility and spatial awareness to your advantage) and so long as your opponent has opportunity to counter using their own skills. The key for us has been to balance the potential escapability of sprint with mechanics like shield recharge and sprint ramp-up, while maintaining a sprint mechanic that feels good. This is something that we will continue to focus on post-beta as this careful balance is so important.
Sprint is also an action that the vast majority of Halo players expect to be able to utilize in both an offensive and defensive context. I know that this community does not feel that way (or likely believes that statement to be accurate), but the larger Halo community is very diverse and we are building a game for an audience with many different perspectives represented amongst them. Within that larger audience, most people expect to be able to sprint. Particularly as this is the third Halo game to feature the mechanic.
Another important consideration for uses to keep the core play experience as consistent as possible between Campaign, Arena, and the larger MP experiences that we are building. We feel that sprint, done right, works well in Arena. I know that’s a point of significant contention amongst this community. Sprint also works tremendously well in the context of those other experiences that I mentioned. When a player crosses over from Campaign to Arena, or from Arena to big team MP, we want the mechanics to translate across consistently. It’s jarring to become accustomed to a core mechanic only to have it disappear, or vice versa. That’s something that we want to avoid.

Anyway, sorry for rambling a bit. I started writing and this got long. Hopefully there are some nuggets of sense in there. TLDR; sprint is an action that feels natural in the context of combat, it makes sense as an action that all Spartans are capable of, it creates opportunities on offense and defense when handled well, it is being carefully balanced, it’s something that most Halo players expect, and it’s something that we want to keep consistent with other modes where it plays an even more prominent role.

I will let you all be the judges as you play the beta but I believe that we are doing a much better job of designing the maps around the core mechanics with Halo 5. A big reason for that is the fact that we nailed down the core focus for gameplay early. When we start releasing some of the behind-the-scenes footage from the development of Halo 5 next week, you will see that we’ve been playing with this core set of abilities for the better part of two years. This has allowed us enough time to refine and iterate on map design with the abilities in mind. The other big change has been the addition of our internal pro team. They have been invaluable in helping us to identify issues with mechanics and map design that become obvious at the highest level of skilled play, and we’ve had the time and focus to react to that feedback.

Finally I want you to know that we do listen to you guys. As mentioned, I lurk here often to read through the forums. So do a lot of people at 343, particularly our MP and Sandbox teams. Keep in mind that there are many different inputs that we consider when we make decisions about core aspects of the game. Literally none of those are corporate hacks up the chain. Not all decisions will be ones that you agree with. Nevertheless, I appreciate the passion that we all share as Halo fans, even when we may disagree. I will be in here reading your feedback throughout the beta and I hope that you guys will share your thoughts when you play. Who knows, I may even keep posting… depending on how this goes. ;-)

/Josh

uwdanman

Neo Member
I was watching Walshy last night on his Twitch channel and he seems to be liking Halo 5 so far. I highly value his opinion on Halo, I think he offers a lot of insight and feedback because he approaches the game in a completely different way than the avg Halo player.

Same here. From his talks of early H1 lanning days and the first tournaments to competing in many of the later Halos in highly competitive tournaments, I also value his thoughts on Halo's feel and mechanics. I'll have to watch his past broadcast if its available.

dwells

I can't believe all of you hating on pistola.
It's not "hating," it's calling someone out on attempting to exploit the generosity of others to cover their own immaturity. He chose to blow through all his money instead of investing or seeking the help of a financial planner, he chose not to carry health insurance, he chose to buy a new car recently, and he chose to punch a stage in a rage fit.

He wants other people to give him $17,000 so he doesn't have to downgrade his car as a consequence of his actions. How is that not being an immature brat?

Funny I would say I'm the opposite with this beta in that it very much feels like Halo. Predictable player actions and gunplay combined with visual and audio clarity to enable a competitive sandbox of move, counter and teamwork. All while feeling fun but skilled.

To me things like from the past such as evade and jetpack were far less Halo and created less predictable results or map movements. This beta has me really enjoying the interplay and interoperability between sprint, jump, clamber, attack, strafe and thruster. I've barely even worked ground pound or slide into m gameplay and neither really appeal to be honest.

The beta feels like flow of maps, power weapons and teamwork are now fast, streamlined and almost automatic by being inherent in the mechanics. For example the power weapons broadcast combined with auto player chatter for teamwork or map movement and gun skills/awareness with abilities for individual skills.

I really need to spend some time writing things up but this finally feels very much Halo with the volume turned up for me.

Edit: not once in the beta have I had an armour lock reaction moment or enemy used evade in an unpredictable fashion e.g. Thruster feels like intelligent but predictable usage which = skill to me. I find the same with the map movement due to abilities vs. retrospect of camo or jetpack.

I still like radar so hopefully playlists help each camp feel more at home in the launch config.

It's not "hating," it's calling someone out on attempting to exploit the generosity of others to cover their own immaturity. He chose to blow through all his money instead of investing or seeking the help of a financial planner, he chose not to carry health insurance, he chose to buy a new car recently, and he chose to punch a stage in a rage fit.

He wants other people to give him $17,000 so he doesn't have to downgrade his car as a consequence of his actions. How is that not being an immature brat?
Didn't he not want to ask for help? Didn't he support disabled parents/sister? He already said he'd sell the car.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Hey guys, lets discuss sprint. If sprint is going to be in Halo 5, what are some ways to tweak it than its current state?

Why if sprinting simply drained your shields, not your health, but your shields. For example, if you're full shields and you start sprinting, your shields will deplete, once they pop, you can no longer sprint until they recharge to 100%.

This wouldn't allow people to sprint away when down in a fight, thus it would cut down the offense use of it by penalizing you if you choose to gain more speed.

Thoughts?

Hey guys, lets discuss sprint. If sprint is going to be in Halo 5, what are some ways to tweak it than its current state?

Why if sprinting simply drained your shields, not your health, but your shields. For example, if you're full shields and you start sprinting, your shields will deplete, once they pop, you can no longer sprint until they recharge to 100%.

This wouldn't allow people to sprint away when down in a fight, thus it would cut down the offense use of it by penalizing you if you choose to gain more speed.

Thoughts?

Not to be the only guy replying ATM but I feel sprint is quite solid in the beta already. Depleting shields would destroy the map movement and individual effectiveness in the current sandbox. Enable not disable.

Didn't he not want to ask for help? Didn't he support disabled parents/sister? He already said he'd sell the car.

Yeah, I remember him giving a few thousand to his sister to pay for her house.

Are we even sure he made $300k in money? The money he wins on a team gets divided by 4 people (apart from the global championship) and a little is given to the coach. Then some of that money goes to taxes. It's also the total amount he's made since 2008. It's not some yearly salary.

For all the crap he gets, I have to say I do legitimately respect Funk's opinion because he's proven himself to be pretty good at Halo.
CE anyway

Thoughts?

Remove it.

Thoughts?

If the "balancing factor" for moving at full speed needs to be so over the top, like removing the player's ability to recharge his shields, what does that say about the ability you are trying to balance in the first place?

This is what I call "seesaw balancing". The first thing you add is so imba that it tips the seesaw all the way in one direction, sprint rewarding passive play styles, so you add something else that tips it all the way back in the other direction, shields not recharging while sprinting.

It's a terrible way to "balance" mechanics that have no business being in Halo in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom