• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 21| Battle is the Great Redeemer | LIVE. DIE. RESPAWN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caja 117

I just find it extremely vulnerable to nades and being shot on from multiple angles. Plus if you're camping a window, what's to stop the other team from overrunning your teammates completely out of your view? Especially if someone is in sneaky doing absolutely nothing, lol.
. You can place nades there but its an easy escape, i actually been camping there and im going every time more than 10 kills more than 6 assist and less than 7 death, and im playing solo so in ocassions I end up having 2 players rushing the base to take me off.

The team wont overrun my teamates because im constantly shooting at them cross map so they usually engage my teamates halfshield, and god forbid i have the energy sword in that spot.

Like i said before that window has a LoS across the whole map and i can put shots on people going car street, p street, the other base window, car 2, botton mid, top mid, and given the design the only clear shot the other team has is either from top mid or the other base, and from there they would need a dmr to take make me back down.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Ranks need tweaked, really is upsetting when you got like 21-11 and lose because one dude didn't start playing until halfway through the game... Then you lose like 16 rank points.

Ranker

Neo Member
I'm not actually complaining about the ranking system, for once. It was the team placement. They grouped all the unranked people together and put the high ranking people on the other team.

I'm sure it's just a beta thing but I was just mentioning it.

Yeah "unofficially" I believe this is a known issue. Don't worry about it.

jem0208

Yeah "unofficially" I believe this is a known issue. Don't worry about it.

Ah alright, that's good to know.

Ranks need tweaked, really is upsetting when you got like 21-11 and lose because one dude didn't start playing until halfway through the game... Then you lose like 16 rank points.

I'm warming towards it a lot more now. It definitely makes me focused a lot more on winning. I do think it should take stuff like how close the game was and how well you played into account more though.

It's very annoying if you lose 15 points from a game which went 49-50 where you played really well.

Right now it almost appears that it's entirely based on who you're playing against and whether you won or not.

Compsiox

Banned
Ah alright, that's good to know.

I'm warming towards it a lot more now. It definitely makes me focused a lot more on winning. I do think it should take stuff like how close the game was and how well you played into account more though.

It's very annoying if you lose 15 points from a game which went 49-50 where you played really well.

Right now it almost appears that it's entirely based on who you're playing against and whether you won or not.

I think they take how you play into account a little. When I do very good in a game I lose I only lose 5 points instead of 19.

jem0208

I think they take how you play into account a little. When I do very good in a game I lose I only lose 5 points instead of 19.

Yeah that's not been my experience at all.

It appears to be almost entirely based on who you are playing and whether you win or not.

It may take your performance into account, but it doesn't look like it's heavily weighted.

Not for me, I can have a 4.0+KD game but lost and I lose 20+, the current system doesn't reward you for doing well at all.

Pretty much my experience as well.

King Leo

Neo Member
Bottom to top-mid jump on Truth shouldn't be there. Ever. Basic jump that gives you a free power weapon. At least remove the cover from top-mid so there's at least some risk involved.

Then again, I'm only in Gold 3. I'm guessing it's more punishable in the higher tiers?

Ramirez

Bottom to top-mid jump on Truth shouldn't be there. Ever. Basic jump that gives you a free power weapon. At least remove the cover from top-mid so there's at least some risk involved.

Then again, I'm only in Gold 3. I'm guessing it's more punishable in the higher tiers?

The cover can be shot out, and being on the ground floor is pretty much a death sentence. It's another route to the top, no reason to move it.

SalientOne

Internet Batman
Switch over to Halo 5. The game instantly finds 6 other players upon searching... Then the screen flashes constantly and it says the server failed. Rinse and repeat for another five or so minutes until we give up.

Sorry for the late response.

This may be an issue that occurs when a notification service in the XB1 OS stops responding. We leverage this service and once in this state your console is incapable of receiving information that we need to set up the match, so you fail. Unfortunately at this point the only solution is to power cycle your kit to refresh the OS so that it responds normally. This is something that we are actively working with the platform team to resolve. I know that it's a pain in the ass for the users that encounter it. I've encountered this personally on a couple of occasions.

Try power cycling and see if that resolves it. This issue is top of list to resolve coming out of beta.

jem0208

Truth definitely has an issue with visibility, namely picking blue Spartans out from the background. It's just too dark and too similar a shade to their armour. Something that definitely needs some work. From a distance it's really quite difficult to see what's a Spartan and what isn't.

Caja 117

So i just noticed that if you jump while in scope the spartan hovers for a second, dos this has anything to do with stabilizers ( i had it off and recently turned it back on)

HTupolev

So i just noticed that if you jump while in scope the spartan hovers for a second, dos this has anything to do with stabilizers ( i had it off and recently turned it back on)
Yes. There's a control option to have the stabilizers auto-engage if you scope in the air. Otherwise they're controlled manually.

How are all of you gaffers liking the beta so far? *excluding known issues besides gameplay*
CE aside, I feel this may easily be the best Halo game. Reason I put CE aside is because they feel like completely different games, but I'm excited for Halo 5 because it feels like an appropriate evolution to gameplay over the many questionable decisions we've seen from Halo 2 on.

Without motion tracker, for example, or at the very least changed to sound-based radar, Halo 5 could very well be my favorite Halo. We'll see, but I know there's going to be something to spoil it, whether that's a reluctance to include traditional smart scopes, motion tracker remaining as it is or something else, there's going to be something where we say, "DAMN.. If they only made these seemingly small adjustments, Halo 5 could play amazing!"

It's inevitable, and for me that's motion tracker and not being able to sprint OUT of smart scopes if you're using Recon. That's another reason I'm trying to get used to default: because aiming is a lot more effective for me on 10 sensitivity with LT, which is sad to say since I've always liked melee on B ;\

EDIT: I mean, sure I didn't have to chase him, but you also don't have to keep staring at the guy using Armor Lock, amirite? If this was a match against better players, he would've gotten away because I wouldn't have chased, my teammates surely wouldn't have gotten that kill and frustration would have built. These little moments happen frequently as the match turns into a stalemate at higher levels, and what's funny is that I feel like I don't ever have teammates who are consciously making an effort to help out and are just trying to get those kills alone, so what am I to do, just not play Halo unless I'm with a full party? I don't think that's fair, and I'm sure the game devs don't want players feeling that way, but that's how many do feel. Removing motion tracker would seriously help everyone out, even those who think they need it because they play with the volume muted or just never have a mic or some other reason they use to justify something overpowered that actively punishes player movement.

#NoMotionTracker

DeadNames

Banned
Yeah I dunno why anyone would use leagues terrible ranking system. It's super frustrating.

In other news, the pistol is a monster in this game. Once you get used to it you can own.

Sorry for the late response.

This may be an issue that occurs when a notification service in the XB1 OS stops responding. We leverage this service and once in this state your console is incapable of receiving information that we need to set up the match, so you fail. Unfortunately at this point the only solution is to power cycle your kit to refresh the OS so that it responds normally. This is something that we are actively working with the platform team to resolve. I know that it's a pain in the ass for the users that encounter it. I've encountered this personally on a couple of occasions.

Try power cycling and see if that resolves it. This issue is top of list to resolve coming out of beta.

Sweet new tag.

and avatar ;)

Karl2177

I'm hoping for a solo queue playlist at launch. Gives a lot more emphasis on communication, and you can't blame your loss on going up against better players as much.

jem0208

If you lost, you lost brah.

I've actually changed my mind about the win/loss aspect. Gaining points for winning and losing them when you lose is actually okay. It definitely helps to make winning seem more important. However the system definitely needs to take into account your personal performance as well.

Take this scenario: You have two people in the same rank and on the same team and their team loses.

Player 1 gets 20 kills, 10 assists, 2 deaths.

Player 2 gets 3 kills, 5 assists, 10 deaths.

Why would they lose the same amount of points?

How does that make any sense?

Ramirez

I've actually changed my mind about the win/loss aspect. Gaining points for winning and losing them when you lose is actually okay. It definitely helps to make winning seem more important. However the system definitely needs to take into account your personal performance as well.

Take this scenario: You have two people in the same rank and on the same team and their team loses.

Because, just like in sports, individual performance means dick if you lose.

If you care that much, find some people to play with. You're posting in a mega thread of Halo fans.

jem0208

Because, just like in sports, individual performance means dick if you lose.

For a team's rank/position, yes that's completely true. However look at any individual players rank in any sport and you'll see its based on their personal skill and performance. It's how well they play. It's not based on their team's wins and losses. The rank is meant to be a representation of your skill, it's completely useless if it's actually just a representation of the team.

I actually don't care that much. I'm more just confused at how they could come up with such a bizarre system... It's really my biggest problem with the game at the moment. Which is actually a really good thing because I'm not that bothered.

Ranker

Neo Member

The honest question I have to this is, what would you do in this situation, knowing that you can lose less points:

It looks like you're going to lose, you are #2 in KDA, but just a kill behind the #1 guy. You have snipe and see the #1 guy about to get another kill that you could easily steal instead, but you also see a enemy who doesn't see you about to kill him.

What do you do? Steal the kill and let him die, ensuring you lose less points, or continue playing for the team and snipe the guy behind him?

As a designer, I wouldn't want players to have to make that decision, but I know they would. Maybe you wouldn't do that, but tons of other players would, especially playing with randos.

Little things like this can change how people play the game in subtle ways that have a large impact.

Ramirez

For a team's rank/position. Yes that's completely true. However look at any individual players rank and you'll see its based on their personal skill and performance. It's how well they play. It's not based wind and losses. The rank is meant to be a representation of your skill, it's completely useless if it's actually just a representation of the team.

I actually don't care that much. I'm more just confused at how they could come up with such a bizarre system... It's really my biggest problem with the game at the moment. Which is actually a really good thing because I'm not that bothered.

What does your individual performance matter in a team game? It's Team Slayer, not Rumble.

You've made a ton of posts about it, flip flopping along the way, I think you care more than you'd like to admit. ;p

jem0208

What does your individual performance matter in a team game? It's Team Slayer, not Rumble.

You've made a ton of posts about it, flip flopping along the way, I think you care more than you'd like to admit. ;p

Well it's my only real issue with the game and so I have nothing else to complain about. It's actually quite nice to be salty every once in a while ;)

The honest question I have to this is, what would you do in this situation, knowing that you can lose less points:

It looks like you're going to lose, you are #2 in KDA, but just a kill behind the #1 guy. You have snipe and see the #1 guy about to get another kill that you could easily steal instead, but you also see a enemy who doesn't see you about to kill him.

What do you do? Steal the kill and let him die, ensuring you lose less points, or continue playing for the team and snipe the guy behind him?

As a designer, I wouldn't want players to have to make that decision, but I know they would. Maybe you wouldn't do that, but tons of other players would, especially playing with randos.

Little things like this can change how people play the game in subtle ways that have a large impact.

If you know you're guaranteed to lose why are you still playing for the team? With the current system, a player who cares about ranks and stats would still go for the kill steal as that way they'd improve their KDA which is also on full display in their service record. There would be no point trying to continue playing for the team as that wouldn't net them any benefit, they're still going to lose ranking points, but they'll also have a lower KDA.

If the game was close you'd play for the team either way because then there's a chance you'll win and gain points, rather than lose points.

By the way, thanks for posting here. It's really interesting to see your point of view, even if I disagree with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom