• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 21| Battle is the Great Redeemer | LIVE. DIE. RESPAWN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fracas

#fuckonami
You guys don't speak for all Halo fans though, lol.

I'm just as hardcore as any of you and would take what I've played of 5 over H2A. H2 is the worst of the Bungie trilogy for me, you must realize how impossible it is for them to evolve the games and make everyone happy.

Well yeah, H2A is just H4 with a handful of tweaks.

Madness

The abilities are nothing like Destiny supers, lol. Good grief.

Of course. Just saying though. I remember you posted once, the reason you could easily play Destiny and Battlefield and have tons of fun, but not play Reach and Halo 4 was because you didn't like that the game tried to be something it really wasn't. And now you're saying you like Halo 5 which has sprint, ADS, all these abilities, clamber, even over Halo 2 Anniversary, which for all intents and purposes is basically a modern classic Halo experience.

So what's really changed Ram? Not trying to single you out, I value your opinions etc. It seems as if you're just over what Halo was aside from lack of randomness and equal starts.

Ramirez

Because Halo 5 feels very much like Halo to me. The abilities rarely ever even come into play. It's constant call outs and team shooting, with some movement wrinkles thrown in that add to the game and don't take away from it.

H2A feels just like H2 to me Fracas. H2 is such an overrated game. No skill in the shooting, off host your BR flat out didn't work past a certain distance. Awful. Glitches, standby, cheaters, truly the pinnacle of XBL and Halo.

Anyway, message me or my Markolopogous account if you want to play 5. I haven't tried out the new maps and gametype so I'm doing that now.

As for whether or not Halo 5 is Halo? My answer is "Sort of... but not really."

Of course. Just saying though. I remember you posted once, the reason you could easily play Destiny and Battlefield and have tons of fun, but not play Reach and Halo 4 was because you didn't like that the game tried to be something it really wasn't. And now you're saying you like Halo 5 which has sprint, ADS, all these abilities, clamber, even over Halo 2 Anniversary, which for all intents and purposes is basically a modern classic Halo experience.
Going to plop in and say, Halo 5 everyone stands on an equal footing. Halo 4 had perks (some of which were huge advantages), a huge grind to unlock some of the better perks, it had a shitty weapon despawn system, ordnance drops, mini personal shotgun on spawn, and different weapons on spawn.

Those were my issues with Halo 4, when those are taken out in the classic play list or SWAT, Halo 4 was great! But those things ruined 4 for me. Halo 5 has none of those and is a classic Halo experience, just with an even expanded arsenal of movement. And ads which I hardly find myself using with BR spawns anyway.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
I just want dual wielding back

Dual wielding H5 SMG's.

dGLMH2r.gif

Ramirez

Don't be shy, it's the best Halo game since CE.

I'm curious as to what HiredN00bs thinks of Halo 5 since he liked Reach so much and what the CE diehards will think once they get more hands-on time with it.

Those damn Halo 2&3 elitists thinking they know what's best for the franchise.. pfffft

I don't want to proclaim it as the best anything until I play the whole game. I do know I would rather play this than MCC, even if it worked. I've played 25k matches of those, this is a good evolution of those games, IMO.

Reach and 4 had abilities that were map/game breaking, 5 doesn't have that, we're on equal footing again, what's not to love?

Magwik

Banned
I don't want to proclaim it as the best anything until I play the whole game. I do know I would rather play this than MCC, even if it worked. I've played 25k matches of those, this is a good evolution of those games, IMO.

Reach and 4 had abilities that were map/game breaking, 5 doesn't have that, we're on equal footing again, what's not to love?

The encounter design, strafing, jumping, and base movement speed taking a nerf to push people towards new mechanics, nuke nades, questionable map design

This part here is spot on, I really want to see the flag/objective modes and BTB/vehicles etc. I enjoy the competitive side but it grinds on me, it's not my preferred method of play and that's all the beta has. I need my Ol' Halo Objective Fix e.g. zanzibar 1 flag, high ground 1 bomb. Further only having slayer also grinds on me, I'm an objective guys, almost exclusively. MCC not having a playlist for guaranteed objective and the Beta not having any objective is straight up killing me right now. Poor me.

I have a feeling H5 is going to play very well in those modes, I hope they haven't dropped 1 sided objective. Although looking at Halo 4's lack of 1 sided games things don't look bright.

Madness

Don't be shy, it's the best Halo game since CE.

I'm curious as to what HiredN00bs thinks of Halo 5 since he liked Reach so much and what the CE diehards will think once they get more hands-on time with it.

Those damn Halo 2&3 elitists thinking they know what's best for the franchise.. pfffft

I'd hold off on saying that until you see the final launch game. We've yet to see any BTB, objective style game play.

I'd hold off on saying that until you see the final launch game. We've yet to see any BTB, objective style game play.
That's how comfortable I feel with this gameplay, and I can't see things getting worse than they are now. They would have to never include Power-ups and axe BTB altogether, etc. Of course they need to make certain changes to improve upon what we've experienced thusfar, but even right now I feel it's more enjoyable and akin to what I've wanted out of Halo for many, many years now.

Personally, I'm ready for a completely new BTB because it hasn't really been fun since.. idk, BTB was last fun in H2 when it was released. These days, I don't really find H2 BTB that fun because you can't kill people at range and it sucks having to slowly trek across the map.

Magwik

Banned
That's how comfortable I feel with this gameplay, and I can't see things getting worse than they are now. They would have to never include Power-ups and axe BTB altogether, etc. Of course they need to make certain changes to improve upon what we've experienced thusfar, but even right now I feel it's more enjoyable and akin to what I've wanted out of Halo for many, many years now.

Personally, I'm ready for a completely new BTB because it hasn't really been fun since.. idk, BTB was last fun in H2 when it was released. These days, I don't really find H2 BTB that fun because you can't kill people at range and it sucks having to slowly trek across the map.

We haven't gotten a single mention of power ups yet have we?

VinFTW

We haven't gotten a single mention of power ups yet have we?

Overshield/Camo confirmed to be in the game on Josh's Twitter.

Also, I agree, best game since 2 for me. Glad other people feel the same so I don't feel bad about it.

The "fucking lols", it's all opinions guys, we still love classic Halo, there's nothing wrong with it, we just like Halo 5 a lot so far.

We can like different things and still be a solid, supportive and jointed community. Not everybody will agree on everything.

Ramirez

Classic Halo means absolutely nothing, because it can mean literally 4-5 different things depending on when you became a fan.

Madness

I agree but there is a very clear base game play similarity between CE, Halo 2, Halo 3 and Halo 2 Anniversary, and then Reach, Halo 4 and Halo 5.

Aside from different weapons, vehicles, movement speed, aim assist, the only real major changes between CE, 2, 3 are health pack/shielding change after CE, fall damage gone after CE, boardable vehicles and dual wielding, and then equipment in Halo 3.

Then add Reach, you get bloom, plus you now have armor abilities like Sprint, Jetpack, Armor Lock. Then Halo 4 and you now have sprint made universal, perks/specializations that give you things like increased ammo, stability, vehicle ejection. You also have instant respawn, killcams, personal ordnance, global ordnance. Finally with Halo 5, you now have the removal of classic zoom and instead get aim down/iron sights, you have automatics play differently on whether they are scoped, you have universal and unlimited sprint now, thruster, ground pound, charge, hover, slide, killcams return.

Halo 2 Anniversary is basically Halo 4 but without the things people hated like flinch, sprint, Loadouts, perks, ordnance etc.

antigoon

Overshield/Camo confirmed to be in the game on Josh's Twitter.

Also, I agree, best game since 2 for me. Glad other people feel the same so I don't feel bad about it.

The "fucking lols", it's all opinions guys, we still love classic Halo, there's nothing wrong with it, we just like Halo 5 a lot so far.

We can like different things and still be a solid, supportive and jointed community. Not everybody will agree on everything.

Not ready to declare this game better than Halo 2 until I see more of it, but it's already more fundamentally sound than anything that came after it for sure.

And speaking of powerups, I'd be interested in 343 adding some sort of speed and power boosts to the overshield and camo family.

While on the discussion of Power-ups:

OS -- Green glow
Camo
Speed Boost -- Blue glow
Damage Boost -- Red glow
Promethean Vision -- Visor glows and makes sounds similar to H4
Jump Boost -- Lightning bolts similar to inclement weather but more defined (could be an interesting Power-up to be used with clamber)​

DeadNames

Banned
Man the LR is so good if your team is coordinated. Just drop kids in two shots and let everyone else clean up. Not big on the sound. It's too laser-y.

Welfare

OS -- Green glow
Camo
Speed Boost -- Blue glow
Damage Boost -- Red glow
Jump Boost -- Lightning bolts similar to inclement weather but more defined (could be an interesting Power-up to be used with clamber)​

More power ups are a good thing, and these are good.

I already played COD AW/Crysis, why play it again.
;'[
Man the LR is so good if your team is coordinated. Just drop kids in two shots and let everyone else clean up. Not big on the sound. It's too laser-y.
I love how it sounds. Feels more alien than H4's.

EDIT:
How do you despise motion tracker with all your being, and then recommend ProVis as a powerup?
  • You don't spawn with it; you have to earn it.
  • You lose it when you die.
  • It would only last for like 15-30 secs and fits in perfectly with other Power-ups; they're OP by nature by giving a player and their team a distinct advantage when earned.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future

OS -- Green glow
Camo
Speed Boost -- Blue glow
Damage Boost -- Red glow

How do you despise motion tracker with all your being, and then recommend ProVis as a powerup?

Welfare

Power ups are meant to give you an advantage. I mean, why can someone go invisible? WHAT, someone has double the shields that I do? ProVis would be something that lasts a bit, and if the user dies, they don't get it anymore until a new one spawns.

OS -- Green glow
Camo
Speed Boost -- Blue glow
Damage Boost -- Red glow

I think powerups should be sorted into two or three tiers, depending on how long they last. Obviously the primary boosts (speed / damage / over / camo) would be the top-tier powerups at around 40 seconds, but then you could have stuff like Prom Vision only lasting 20, EMP field / unlimited Spartan Abilities (no meter) lasting 10, etc.

tootsi666

We really need more powerups. I want to hear Steitzer saying "Quad Damage".

I'm really warming to Halo 5 with BR starts. They really need to up the strafe speed.

CliQ

If there's going to be motion trackers then how about a power up that takes you off radar?

While we're on this subject what about a power up that gives bottomless clip?

If there's going to be morin trackers then how about a power up that takes you off radar?

Not sure if you are serious but a motion tracker scrambler would fit better. Infinite ammo would be atrocious in the sandbox maybe an ammo cache

Ghazi

If there's going to be motion trackers then how about a power up that takes you off radar?

I'll pick that up on my rocket and laugh. No, that breaks the game too much. Both of those would disrupt the ecosystem too much.

CliQ

Just ideas guys don't start nerd raging. Could be good to have for custom games and forge stuff. The more the better if you ask me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom