• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

RBK

Banned
The last good post from him: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=138039547&postcount=676

If you want to read more, search his older posts.

Just going by that post and the first 5 pages:
Shake-My-Head-Reaction-Gif.gif

Akai__

lol yeah, that thread was obviously the initial reaction people had of the leaked footage.

My opinion hasn't changed, though. I agree with everything in that post. Amir0x also had a great post in that thread.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Just going by that post and the first 5 pages:
Shake-My-Head-Reaction-Gif.gif

People do not like criticism, whether it's fans or the developers themselves.

Passionate fans that write lengthy feedback posts always get thrown into a corner. People who look at the game differently than the masses are always going to be looked down upon.

You're either on the bandwagon or you're a complete fool.

Same reason when/if you tweet something positive about a game like, "OMG HALO 5 WAS SO AMAZING I CANT WAIT TO BUY THE GAME!" That will get re-tweeted in a split second.

Meanwhile, the critic who's been a Halo veteran since Halo CE days will tweet something like, "H5 has potential, if they would consider XYZ changes" This tweet gets ignored.

Akai__

Does anybody here have any of the LASO checkpoints and wants to share those?

Thought I would give it a try. :p

Impala26

GTFO with this Destiny-esque shite!
/kappa

RE: Juices
It's evident he means well, and I think he makes many salient points about Halo to boot. The only issue is that he tends to come off a bit raving mad with his posting style. He nearly always gets an "oh you!" grin from me with every post he makes. I'd say he's like that crazy buddy everyone has had since grade school--you don't hang out with them often because you're anxious about awkwardness and whatnot, but when you finally stick around you end up having a pretty good time or at least a good laugh or two.

I'd say HaloGAF generally likes Juices.

Madness

There is a way to cheese/boost the LASO playlist? The game has been such a mess, I haven't even really bothered to see if any achievements were easily boostable beyond stuff I already knew to do.

Fuchsdh

There is a way to cheese/boost the LASO playlist? The game has been such a mess, I haven't even really bothered to see if any achievements were easily boostable beyond stuff I already knew to do.

If you jump in on the checkpoints of another person you can get them that way. Less work for sure.

If you wanna do that I'd try TrueAchievements.com or a similar boosting site.

Personally I'm going to try and muddle through them.

/kappa

It's evident he means well, and I think he makes many salient points about Halo to boot. The only issue is that he tends to come off a bit raving mad with his posting style. He nearly always gets an "oh you!" grin from me with every post he makes. I'd say he's like that crazy buddy everyone has had since grade school--you don't hang out with them often because you're anxious about awkwardness and whatnot, but when you finally stick around you end up having a pretty good time or at least a good laugh or two.

Thank you everyone for the replies. Yes, making your point actually requires pouring your passion into the post, then going back and editing with the ruthless eye and precision of a Ninja assassin and an acid, viper-like sense of humor.

And that video? I would slap Frankie, but I wouldn't do THAT to him, hee! His squirming was almost unbearably delicious.

RBK

Banned
Agreeing with certain people makes me a fan? I must have like hundreds of idols on NeoGAF alone then.

Well, you tried... ;)

As far as the linked post, there was nothing particularly noteworthy he said nor do I agree with sprint taking away the ability to strafe or bringing back Social Playlists(just further fragments the community). His 10 game assessment of the H5 beta was beyond silly even though I do agree the ranking system is bad.

Plus is the #HireJuices something he created or he has actually clout on GAF?

heckfu

Banned
Plus is the #HireJuices something he created or he has actually clout on GAF?

No, that hashtag was created by the community from www.thebkcleansing.com. It was a Halo fan site for competitive players that pre-dated halogaf. So you could say he has clout here but it really extends far and beyond just this website.

He's currently doing day to day management at a national insurance company doing direct customer relations so if he actually got hired I don't think he could go.

IHaveIce

Banned
No, that hashtag was created by the community from www.thebkcleansing.com. It was a Halo fan site for competitive players that pre-dated halogaf. So you could say he has clout here but it really extends far and beyond just this website.

He's currently doing day to day management at a national insurance company doing direct customer relations so if he actually got hired I don't think he could go.

I heard in some rural areas in the US there is also a Church of Juices Christ

TTUVAPOR

Banned
/kappa

I love reading people's criticisms of games, specifically with the way things were designed. Developers these days aren't being transparent at all with fans. Especially with a game like Halo 5, the fanbase dates back to 2001...so when you make drastic changes to the core of the game without giving much of an explanation like, "with sprint, there's people who think it doesn't belong...so how do we balance that," and then tell us that all you did was simply make it where you can't recharge shields if you're sprinting...come on...give a little more detail, we're adults here, we want to know WHY you believe sprint HAS to be in Halo, and don't give us the lore explanation because that's complete utter bs.

Ubisoft's recent developer commentary video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qk70Yd8qa04 titled, "Community Corner: Gun Recoil" was a great example of developer to community transparency.

They go into good detail about how they designed the recoil system and why they're doing it that way. With a game like Rainbow Six, it has a history of being a hardcore shooter, tactical, lethal...this is almost like a way for Ubi to say, "don't worry, we're not going the COD-route here."

That's what worries a lot of fans of their favorite non-COD games, the trend to copy elements of whatever the latest COD game is.

I don't have issue with sprint in video games, but what I do have issue with is the reasoning behind it being in Halo "because players expect it in today's games". That's a really bad reason to have something in a game.

The list goes on too, from the cosmetic ADS system, to the ADS bonus to the weapons, etc.

I can't imagine the day that Counter-strike decides to go full-out ADS and have sprint plus regenerating health. Thing is, they never will...that would be called ALIENATING YOUR FAN BASE.

But with Halo....ahhhhh who gives a shit about the Halo fans...we're gonna go with what modern-day gamers expect....

When you have passionate fans speaking out against XYZ's game design...they get laughed at...and for what reason? Because they're not hopping on the bandwagon?

Many gamers, even ones here on GAF, just automatically give-in to whatever is thrown at them. They're so impressed with the new bells and whistles, the very idea of the core of a game being completely re-written doesn't phase them whatsoever.

I see through bullshit...and Josh Holmes telling me that sprint is in Halo because it's what players expect...is a cop-out excuse for designing something in a game. Halo isn't some soccer mom's sports utility vehicle where its "expected" to have a million cup holders in the "expected" locations of the vehicle.

RBK

Banned
As I've said many of times, I don't think Sprint is needed for Halo gameplay but I've yet to hear a legitimate argument to why it's detrimental to the gameplay outside of it's not classic Halo.

As I've said many of times, I don't think Sprint is needed for Halo gameplay but I've yet to hear a legitimate argument to why it's detrimental to the gameplay outside of it's not classic Halo.

Halo is about movement and gunplay at the same time culminating in crazy, what seems like forever back and forths, ending in a kill through a combination of the two.

Sprint separates movement from the gunplay, reducing the options available to you. It makes the game less fun, it makes fighting people less fun, and it ruins what flow Halo had.

RBK

Banned
Halo is about movement and gunplay at the same time culminating in crazy, what seems like forever back and forths, ending in a kill through a combination of the two.

Sprint separates movement from the gunplay, reducing the options available to you. It makes the game less fun, it makes fighting people less fun, and it ruins what flow Halo had.

Yeah, honestly just don't see this. You get the same combat scenarios without or with sprint, only difference is the latter increase the player's chances to escape if one can't hit shots.

Booties

Banned
Thank you everyone for the replies. Yes, making your point actually requires pouring your passion into the post, then going back and editing with the ruthless eye and precision of a Ninja assassin and an acid, viper-like sense of humor.

And that video? I would slap Frankie, but I wouldn't do THAT to him, hee! His squirming was almost unbearably delicious.

never edit

jem0208

That just read like "it's different to classic therefore its bad".

They used examples from maps not designed around sprint. Obviously if you took a map and just increased it in size it's not going to work very well. They assumed that instead of maps being designed around the mechanic, maps would instead be just upscaled versions of old maps. Those problems weren't present in 5 because the maps have clearly been designed around sprint.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Serious thought here I'd like everyone to ponder for a bit and give an honest answer to, what would be wrong for Halo 5 to basically start out with the foundation of Halo CE and then add a few new things that actually enhance the gameplay...e.g., like clamber (though I know there's an argument against this because it rules out crouch jumps)?

Halo CE in a nutshell was this:
1. Static timed power weapons
2. Static timed powerups, on basically every map
3. Very little sticky-aim and auto-aim
4. Quake-style map design, multi-level atrium style maps, etc, good use of teleporters
5. Time to kill very fast
6. Utility weapons to start with
7. Weapons on the map all have a situational purpose to them

Now...start with that...and don't have sprint, don't have aim down the sights animation, don't have weapon buffs for smart-scoping...what are we left with?

1. Thrusters
2. Clamber
3. Ground Pound
4. Slide
5. Charge

That's five new things technically in regards to player movement and gameplay.

Now with new weapons we have seen:

1. Light Rifle
2. Hydra

I'm sure there are more since we were limited to what we saw in beta.

Would this Halo game sell well?

I won't give my opinion yet...I'd rather read others, and I think people know what my opinion would be anyway...

RBK

Banned
Would this Halo game sell well?

Depends on what you consider "well".

Any Halo game will sell, but will it do better than H4 in sales? Probably not since the XB1 has much smaller ecosystem than the 360.

As far as removing the stuff people complain about, no issues with it, but my opinion still remains that none of it hinders gameplay.

Yes, I did like Reach's Invasion mode and H4 as a whole.

jem0208

Any Halo game will sell, but will it do better than H4 in sales? Probably not since the XB1 has much smaller ecosystem than the 360.

As far as removing the stuff people complain about, no issues with it, but my opinion still remains that none of it hinders gameplay.

Holy shit. Someone else here likes Halo 4.

Makes me wonder if MCC sold better than Halo 4.

No chance. I think the best estimate for the MCC sales is around 2 million world wide.

TTUVAPOR

Banned

I know that Halo 2 Annv edition is liked by many in the Halo community...and the unfortunate issue is that MCC is plagued with so many problems...the players have turned away, by either trading it back in, refunds, or moving on to other games.

Technically...if H2A is widely popular (people just want the damn game to work so they can enjoy it), it can help support a theory that Halo doesn't need the modern-day trendy stuff to be a success. At the end of the day, people just want Halo, in my opinion, one that works. ;)

IHaveIce

Banned

I know that Halo 2 Annv edition is liked by many in the Halo community...and the unfortunate issue is that MCC is plagued with so many problems...the players have turned away, by either trading it back in, refunds, or moving on to other games.

Technically...if H2A is widely popular (people just want the damn game to work so they can enjoy it), it can help support a theory that Halo doesn't need the modern-day trendy stuff to be a success. At the end of the day, people just want Halo, in my opinion, one that works. ;)

I would almost go as far and say there aren't even that many Xbox One's sold like Halo 4

Top Bottom