• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

A screen which portrayed the inside of a spartan helmet.

I-SEE-WHAT-YOU-DID-THERE.jpg

Wat?

Reach should have been set in WWII and involved Sherman tanks?

Of course not, I meant the tone, characters, and story of it. I felt like in Reach they were aiming for that gritty, war vibe, but they fell way too short of it.

Booshka

What did you look through while aiming in Halo 5?

Please, your Spartan has finally realized that cybernetic linkage to his weapon is best used to Aim Down Sights. After years and years of playing Call of Duty, Spartans have evolved their technological meta game to look down a weapon's sight. Just looking through the scope is dated, inferior technology, we need to see the gun model we are shooting from.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Hardly, the mechanics generally associated with ADS are quite different to the system in 5.

What does the AR/SMG do when you enter Smart Scope™?
Please, your Spartan has finally realized that cybernetic linkage to his weapon is best used to Aim Down Sights. After years and years of playing Call of Duty, Spartans have evolved their technological meta game to look down a weapon's sight. Just looking through the scope is dated, inferior technology, we need to see the gun model we are shooting from.

One could even say that they have advanced warfare beyond anything that has been seen up to this point.

Honestly, I think I gotta agree with Jem on this one. Smart Scope is, in the most technical definition of the word, not ADS. While it fulfills the literal definition (aiming down sights), the associated core mechanics are different enough to warrant a different name, IMO. No slowdown, descope instead of flinch (once they fix that), etc.

daedalius

We all just need to take a personal step to censor Jem's mouth diarrhea.

He can't be banned for having the worst opinions ever, but everyone here can ignore him.

We should do that.

Honestly, I think I gotta agree with Jem on this one. Smart Scope is, in the most technical definition of the word, not ADS. While it fulfills the literal definition (aiming down sights), the associated core mechanics are different enough to warrant a different name, IMO. No slowdown, descope instead of flinch (once they fix that), etc.

Hmm, sort of. I think it's basically watered-down ADS. It changes the accuracy, but only for some weapons. Tellingly, however, they moved it to the left trigger by default.

Impala26

Let's go with "Visual ADS" instead of "functionally ADS" then.
Save tighter bullet spread, H5 smart scope is functionally identical to prior Halo games' scopes, but with a visual ADS look to them.

-Ryn

Banned
Save tighter bullet spread, H5 smart scope is functionally identical to prior Halo games' scopes, but with a visual ADS look to them.
Tighter bullet spread was in past Halos as well :p

Hmm, sort of. I think it's basically watered-down ADS. It changes the accuracy, but only for some weapons. Tellingly, however, they moved it to the left trigger by default.

The default to left trigger muddles things, yeah. So I guess you could call it watered down ADS, but that takes longer to type than Smart Scope, so why not just go with the name?

Yeah, that's pretty accurate. And even the tightened spread has precedence in the silenced SMG, IIRC.

Madness

The default to left trigger muddles things, yeah. So I guess you could call it watered down ADS, but that takes longer to type than Smart Scope, so why not just go with the name?

Yeah, that's pretty accurate. And even the tightened spread has precedence in the silenced SMG, IIRC.

You know what's even easier than Smart Scope? ADS. Trying to jump through mental gymnastics on how it's similar to other games with ADS but different just muddles things as well.

As it stands right now, but default, hipfire has flinch, ADS on automatics has tighter spread, better accuracy and range over hipfire, while scoped you cannot jump around and shoot by default.

But that had a scope. EVERY other automatic didn't have one.

But now they do! :D

Seriously though, I see what you're getting at, and I have to say that I like the change. I get why it pisses some people off, but it moves automatic weapons out of garbage tier for the first time in a long time. A necessary evil, IMO.

You know what's even easier than Smart Scope? ADS. Trying to jump through mental gymnastics on how it's similar to other games with ADS but different just muddles things as well.

As it stands right now, but default, hipfire has flinch, ADS on automatics has tighter spread, better accuracy and range over hipfire, while scoped you cannot jump around and shoot by default.

th

Like I said, it's an accuracy thing. It's not exactly ADS, and it's clearly not the same as the old games, so why not go with what the devs call it? It's a new thing.

Madness

But now they do! :D

Seriously though, I see what you're getting at, and I have to say that I like the change. I get why it pisses some people off, but it moves automatic weapons out of garbage tier for the first time in a long time. A necessary evil, IMO.

th

Like I said, it's an accuracy thing. It's not exactly ADS, and it's clearly not the same as the old games, so why not go with what the devs call it? It's a new thing.

Because the devs don't want to call it what it is so as to try and portray it as something vastly different, or the reason that it's there has to do with immersion instead of flat out pandering to rival shooter fanbases.

Same reason why last page RowdyReverb said that they wouldn't give population counters and instead we could get graphs or countdowns giving us estimations. It's trying to purposely obfuscate what the truth is.

We know it's ADS, why it was added. I'm not going to use their PR buzzwords for it. Just like I don't call what they did in Halo 4 'specializations' and call them perks or why I say killcams instead of what they want to call it 'H-cam'.

DJ Gunner

Honestly, I think I gotta agree with Jem on this one. Smart Scope is, in the most technical definition of the word, not ADS. While it fulfills the literal definition (aiming down sights), the associated core mechanics are different enough to warrant a different name, IMO.No slowdown, descope instead of flinch (once they fix that), etc.

FWIW, there's usually a perk in COD games that permit you to move at full speed while ADS.

Because the devs don't want to call it what it is so as to try and portray it as something vastly different, or the reason that it's there has to do with immersion instead of flat out pandering to rival shooter fanbases.

Same reason why last page RowdyReverb said that they wouldn't give population counters and instead we could get graphs or countdowns giving us estimations. It's trying to purposely obfuscate what the truth is.

We know it's ADS, why it was added. I'm not going to use their PR buzzwords for it. Just like I don't call what they did in Halo 4 'specializations' and call them perks or why I say killcams instead of what they want to call it 'H-cam'.

The difference is that there's enough differences between COD-style ADS and what we got in Halo 5 to warrant a different name. It's not like with Halo 4's junk where it really was just a marketing distinction. They don't want to call it the same thing because it's not the same thing.

FWIW, there's usually a perk in COD games that permit you to move at full speed while ADS.

Huh, did not know that. Still, I think the point stands :p

I'm not talking semantically, I just mean in terms of actual implementation. It's not just cosmetic, but it's also not full-blown CoD style ADS either.

Non Smart Scope = Default Needler
Smart Scope = Needle Rifle​
The money would print itself.

Hmm, I like the idea of bringing back the needle rifle, but it would basically just be another variation of the DMR and carbine. Maybe if they gave it a 3 shot burst like the BR, than I would fully welcome the addition of the needle rifle.

I'm not talking semantically, I just mean in terms of actual implementation. It's not just cosmetic, but it's also not full-blown CoD style ADS either.

That's what I'm saying; it's not COD-style ADS, it's not purely cosmetic, and it's sure as hell not the same as the old games. New name for new thing.

dwells

That had to be the most intense final five minutes of any Super Bowl I've ever seen. I don't know what happened to the Seahawks, to go from that unbelievable catch and rallying all the way up the field, then to not use Lynch for some reason and throw for an interception, then start a fight and get ejected. Wow.

That had to be the most intense final five minutes of any Super Bowl I've ever seen. I don't know what happened to the Seahawks, to go from that unbelievable catch and rallying all the way up the field, then to not use Lynch for some reason and throw for an interception, then start a fight and get ejected. Wow.

I'll never understand it. 343 must be crying.

dwells

I'll never understand it. 343 must be crying.
It was crazy. that catch would've been one of the best in Super Bowl history of they had just let Lynch run the ball in at the end there. Instead it's gonna be forgotten and we'll all remember the idiotic play call that led to an interception instead of a win.

Impala26

It was crazy. that catch would've been one of the best in Super Bowl history of they had just let Lynch run the ball in at the end there. Instead it's gonna be forgotten and we'll all remember the idiotic play call that led to an interception instead of a win.

Defeat snatched from the jaws of victory...

Sorry Madness... :-(

Top Bottom