• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

Akai__

Makes me wonder if MCC sold better than Halo 4.

Do you mean like in 24 hours or in total?

There's no way it exceeded a total of 11+ million units (or even half of that). I don't even know if the Xbox One unit sales have exceeded 11 million units and even if it would, that would mean EVERYBODY owns the MCC.

Edit: Triple kill...

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Hooray, let's argue about sprint again.

Maybe HaloGAF should publish a peer reviewed academic journal so that this topic can be settled.

dwells

Damn, the thought poured into that document amazes me. I read the first point...and skimmed the rest (sorry, I'm at work), I bet that feedback just falls on deaf ears.
I took a quick look at it and saw this:

Halo 1, 2, and 3’s popularity was a lot to do with the fact that aiming was hard. You couldn’t just pick up a controller and start 4-shotting people and winning games.
Uhhh... what? Halo 2 had hard aiming? If by "hard," you mean "point gun in general direction of enemy," then sure, why not.

Don't get me wrong, I love Halo 2 and it's up there with CE for my favorite entry in the franchise, but aiming in that game was really, really easy. Snipe swiping was a thing, and the only thing that every made landing four shots difficult with the BR was bad netcode.

I don't even mind the heavy autoaim that much since I think it sped up gameplay and made strafing even more important, but claiming aiming was hard is just so ridiculous. Not to mention it completely defeats the argument that "a lot" of the games' popularity is due to the aim assist setting, which is an absurd argument in itself. Does autoaim setting influence overall "feel" which can affect how people respond to a game? Absolutely. Is "a lot" of a title's popularity attributable to autoaim settings? Not a chance.

Also, having skimmed the rest of the document, it's not that well written. It's formatted nicely, but it reads like it was written by someone who was trying to make it sound well written rather than doing so naturally. I certainly agree with a lot of the points in there, but it certainly would've benefited from being run past a decent editor once or twice.

Holy shit. Someone else here likes Halo 4.

No chance. I think the best estimate for the MCC sales is around 2 million world wide.

Campaign and story (inc EU) was solid for me. I enjoyed parts of 4's multi, especially after Turbo.
The concept of episodic content in SPOPS was cool, the gameplay execution wasn't.

No spin off or remastered Halo has eclipsed the mainline Halo series(including Reach). Would be kind of ridiculous to think otherwise.

It may have sold a bit more than 2mil+. No where near a mainline Halo game but it moved a number of X1 consoles. All that hype and classic Halo (with H2A even) doesn't even do ~20% of Halo 4.

RBK

Banned

The likeliness of "off-spawn" kills are very rare, if they even do happen at all. Any other time I can agree to an extent, even though it's not like the player has the ability and tactics to counter clean up kills.

Pink Tower analogy can happen with or without sprint. Same with getting caught out of position. Upscaling hardly makes any sense when there isn't enough Reach/4 remakes to show this is the case. Even just doing a quick walkthrough on Pitfall, it looks smaller than the H3 counterpart plus correct me if I'm wrong, you can easily make the jump from platform to green box without crouch jumping.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
I took a quick look at it and saw this:

Uhhh... what? Halo 2 had hard aiming? If by "hard," you mean "point gun in general direction of enemy," then sure, why not.

Don't get me wrong, I love Halo 2 and it's up there with CE for my favorite entry in the franchise, but aiming in that game was really, really easy. Snipe swiping was a thing, and the only thing that every made landing four shots difficult with the BR was bad netcode.

I don't even mind the heavy autoaim that much since I think it sped up gameplay and made strafing even more important, but claiming aiming was hard is just so ridiculous. Not to mention it completely defeats the argument that "a lot" of the games' popularity is due to the aim assist setting, which is an absurd argument in itself. Does autoaim setting influence overall "feel" which can affect how people respond to a game? Absolutely. Is "a lot" of a title's popularity attributable to autoaim settings? Not a chance.

Also, having skimmed the rest of the document, it's not that well written. It's formatted nicely, but it reads like it was written by someone who was trying to make it sound well written rather than doing so naturally. I certainly agree with a lot of the points in there, but it certainly would've benefited from being run past a decent editor once or twice.

Halo 2 my opinion had the most auto-aim and sticky-aim of any Halo...and I agree, the shooting wasn't difficult at all, but it did make for a great competitive pvp game.

jelly

How much has Halo 4 sold ?

All I remember was the saving face PR spew of best selling in respective launch period or something which doesn't say much.

How much has Halo 4 sold ?

All I remember was the saving face PR spew of best selling in respective launch period or something which doesn't say much.

Over ~9mil. I would have like some of the DLC maps at launch and I prefer the even sandbox of the H5 beta. Ricochet is the shit, love that game type.

dwells

Makes me wonder if MCC sold better than Halo 4.
There's no way. Halo 4 supposedly sold over nine million copies, while Microsoft hadn't even shipped ten million Xbox One units to retailers as of last November. Assuming those all sold through, and we count 1.2 million holiday unit sales that were reported, and we tack on an incredibly optimistic eight hundred thousand units for this month, that's a grand total of twelve million copies sold.

That would mean 75% of Xbox One owners would have had to have purchased Master Chief Collection just to tie Halo 4's sales. Even without all the negative controversy, there's absolutely no way a title would reach that much of an install base.

Halo 2 my opinion had the most auto-aim and sticky-aim of any Halo...and I agree, the shooting wasn't difficult at all, but it did make for a great competitive pvp game.
It definitely did have the most autoaim. However, it also had the tightest controller response for aiming and player movment. No other game in the series has the same sense of responsiveness, immediacy, and connection in its aiming and movement that Halo 2 did. Those things were a big part of why I loved that game: it just "felt" right. Like you said, PVP was still good (CQC is without a doubt the best in the series) despite the overzealous autoaim.

Halo 3 I might've liked a lot more if it weren't for the projectile BR and the aim acceleration and movement being so awful. As one of my friends describes Halo 3's movement, it's like "ice skating."

I will say that Halo 5 seemed like a major step in the right direction in that regard. Movement is still off in that base speed is low, sprint is, well, sprint, and clamber makes my soul hurt. But responsiveness seems pretty good and consistent. Unscoped aiming feels really good as well (though I might suggest upping autoaim a tiny bit to speed up gameplay), but the actual scoped weapons, especially the DMR and sniper, felt really weird when scoped.

Nebula

Selling my Xbone for a PS4. Fully committed to it now. RIP in Peace. Nice killing time with you guys on here and on the games themselves but I'm 100% out of it now.

Doesn't mean it didn't have it flaws, but I enjoyed it for the most part.

Game and 343 in general just gets a ton of unnecessary flack.

They split Reach population down the middle. Stuck a middle finger up at everyone with Halo 4 and, well, you know the story of TMCC. 343 are getting some much deserved, and very necessary flack. They have yet to learn from past mistakes and I can't put my hard earned money anywhere near such a seemingly stupid company. They have some fantastic individuals there as well which is why I don't understand how it keeps going so wrong.

Nebula

Get both?

I mean what are planning to play except Bloodborne?

I've got a PC to play as well. Guess I'm also slightly salty towards microsoft as well since they brought 343 together. Not sure I want my money in the pockets of those folk.

Time to cancel my xbox live sub as well. RIP 8 year tenure.

Doesn't mean it didn't have it flaws, but I enjoyed it for the most part.

Game and 343 in general just gets a ton of unnecessary flack.
Unnecessary flack? They literally took everything fans hated about Reach and didn't want in Halo, and put it into Halo 4.

Proof is in the Active Camo AA. Throughout Reach's existence before Halo 4 released, how many people actively complained on forums and despised, and I repeat despised, the Camo AA only for it to return in Halo 4? Funny thing about that is they brought back OS and added Damage Boost and Speed Boost, but excluded Camo, the most hated AA in reality because Armor Lock was just an annoyance; Camo was a legit problem.

Also, best thing about Halo Reach was the Grenade Launcher, but what was their reasoning for its removal? "It wasn't used.." and "It was difficult to use." Best part about this is you saw some people actually defending this reasoning lol

That being said, Halo 4 needed to happen in order to unite the fanbase under a single front of going back to its roots.

Granadier

I've got a PC to play as well. Guess I'm also slightly salty towards microsoft as well since they brought 343 together. Not sure I want my money in the pockets of those folk.

Time to cancel my xbox live sub as well. RIP 8 year tenure.

Wow. This is the most idiotic thing I've read on here in a long time.

*clap*

Nebula

So they have an "other" option as a reason for your unsub, but don't let you put extra info to explain why you chose other? Ok.

Wow. This is the most idiotic thing I've read on here in a long time.

*clap*

If you're happy with broken games and promises and wish to further fund that, be my guest. I'll just take my Xbone I haven't touched in two weeks and try my luck on the other side of the fence.

RBK

Banned
343 deserves all the flack they get. 2 games in a row, 2 failures.

Halo 4 being a "failure" is as subjective as it comes. We all know about MCC.

It's not like H3 or Reach didn't get it's fair share of criticism.

Unnecessary flack? They literally took everything fans hated about Reach and didn't want in Halo, and put it into Halo 4.

"Despite its flaws"

It doesn't touch Halo 2/3, but it was a more enjoyable experience for me than Reach ever was. Expanding loadouts and a ton of stuff Bungie introduced was a bad decision plus I have no clue what they were thinking with the map design for majority of launch and DLC maps.

I don't really miss the Pro Pipe, but it was a fun weapon to use. Wouldn't mind it returning to H5.

They split Reach population down the middle. Stuck a middle finger up at everyone with Halo 4 and, well, you know the story of TMCC. 343 are getting some much deserved, and very necessary flack. They have yet to learn from past mistakes and I can't put my hard earned money anywhere near such a seemingly stupid company. They have some fantastic individuals there as well which is why I don't understand how it keeps going so wrong.

Care to splitting up Reach's population? They didn't take over Halo until a few months before H5's release, so I can only assume ZB playlists and stuff like that.

They're not perfect, but to say they single handedly destroyed Halo or Halo 4 is garbage or a "bad Halo game" is just ridiculous.

lol

I don't get it :(

The movie make a reference to mad max.

Selling my Xbone for a PS4. Fully committed to it now. RIP in Peace. Nice killing time with you guys on here and on the games themselves but I'm 100% out of it now.

I am not sure what path are the following with Halo but I am sure I wont be following for a while after seeing the MCC fiasco.

You're my favorite blatant alt account.

:confused:

Alt? me or Hebrew Menagerie? Because I am me, the first and only of me here..
AHM, thanks for the complement ;)
Booties, I meant to go back over a wall of text and edit it before posting
And whomever questioned my age...yep , I'm 47. And the context was that a slap would be less painful then the embarrassment Frankie was suffering through in that video.

Halo! :p

PS Halo 5...I can't give it any real headspace, not while that part of my heart is waiting for the MCC to be fixed. But I did play a few games. Did any one else get a Reach vibe off of Eden? Other than that, too much Halo 4 in the mix, ADS needs to die in a fire and the constant chatter needs a toggle.

Finaj

You only need to play Bloodborne.

Chalice Dungeon, PvP, new builds, co op, challenge runs, etc, etc.

imminent Game of the Generation

Will it be easier than the other Souls games or have difficulty options? I would love to play it, but the difficulty is the only thing keeping me from doing so.

Booshka

Will it be easier than the other Souls games or have difficulty options? I would love to play it, but the difficulty is the only thing keeping me from doing so.

No it won't have a difficulty option.

The Souls games are not that hard, they just demand your attention and take time to learn. A competitive MP match of Halo is a lot more challenging than regular New Game PvE in Souls games, at least mechanically. Dying, failing, and being confused is just a part of the games that some people aren't willing to put up with, if you can get past that, learn, get better and explore, they are extremely rewarding experiences.

VinFTW

Bloodborne will not be any easier than the previous games. You might kill more mobs/smaller enemies but I would consider it to be about as hard as DS2, imo.

Finaj

No it won't have a difficulty option.

The Souls games are not that hard, they just demand your attention and take time to learn. A competitive MP match of Halo is a lot more challenging than regular New Game PvE in Souls games, at least mechanically. Dying, failing, and being confused is just a part of the games that some people aren't willing to put up with, if you can get past that, learn, get better and explore, they are extremely rewarding experiences.

The game just breaks me and I guess I'm just one of the few on these forums that can't get past it.

It sucks because I love the RPG system, loot, combat, atmosphere, art direction and the music. The difficulty is the only thing holding me back.

Granadier

If you're happy with broken games and promises and wish to further fund that, be my guest. I'll just take my Xbone I haven't touched in two weeks and try my luck on the other side of the fence.

Sorry to hear that you tie your enjoyment of an ecosystem to a single title.

Booshka

The game just breaks me and I guess I'm just one of the few on these forums that can't get past it.

It sucks because I love the RPG system, loot, combat, atmosphere, art direction and the music. The difficulty is the only thing holding me back.

Hop into the thread and ask questions, seek advice, let people know you are new and we will give you tips that won't spoil the experience.

Holy shit. Someone else here likes Halo 4.

Hey now, there's a few of us. I've always loved sprint thrustering in 4. Plus some of the perks are very fun if utilized correctly. Sure it's not nosprint midship BRs like all the "real halo fans" want but I've had plenty of fun with H4.

jem0208

Hey now, there's a few of us. I've always loved sprint thrustering in 4. Plus some of the perks are very fun if utilized correctly. Sure it's not nosprint midship BRs like all the "real halo fans" want but I've had plenty of fun with H4.

Aha, I know. It was just a joke about how this place is pretty anti H4.

Everybody knows Halo 3 is the worst Halo, not Halo 4.

I agree with you (bar Reach. Reach is the worst Halo). However funnily enough Halo 3 was still the one I had the most fun with.

Hubble

Everybody knows Halo 3 is the worst Halo, not Halo 4.

"Despite everything that warrants the flack it receives"

Um no, Halo 3 is arguably the best Halo made, especially for multiplayer barring the netcode. Halo 4 is one of the worse online games ever made imo, and not even trying to be funny - not just in Halo but in general, so I am quite shocked on what they are doing with Halo 5.

Wow, in MCC, I was ranked 22 in H2A and I got reseted to 1 :( :(. Very shitty. It is going to be hard to motivate myself to continue playing without friends on....

jem0208

Um no, Halo 3 is arguably the best Halo made, especially for multiplayer barring the netcode. Halo 4 is one of the worse online games ever made imo, and not even trying to be funny - not just in Halo but in general, so I am quite shocked on what they are doing with Halo 5.

Wow, in MCC, I was ranked 22 in H2A and I got reseted to 1 :( :(. Very shitty. It is going to be hard to motivate myself to continue playing without friends on....
Aha, this is worse than my opinions.

Granadier

Reach is the worst. Halo 3 is amazing.

x92tFB8.gif

Top Bottom