• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

TCKaos

Jem making play calls for the Seahawks?

eZddKVZ.gif

Too soon.

I was superstitiously hoping the Seahawks would win, and it would mean the MCC would be saved...but they pulled an (x)boner move at the last second. Then it devolved to fighting.

Feels familiar.

MCC is dooooomed....

-Ryn

Banned
From what I'm understanding, Seahawks choked hard. That sucks.

At work so haven't been able to watch

Fuchsdh

Seattle fan-tears taste so good.

Though I can't say I'm thrilled at the Pats winning, either.

My vote was with the Pats, just because I never like teams winning back-to-back, and the Seahawk's uniforms are atrocious. (Also I don't care about football outside the Super Bowl.)

Great game though, lots of entertainment.

And yeah, a Halo commercial would have been nice to distract from the "your kid will be crushed by this TV" vibes.

HTupolev

From what I'm understanding, Seahawks choked hard. That sucks.

At work so haven't been able to watch
20 seconds left in the game. Four points down from the Patriots. Seahawks have a timeout available to stop the clock if need be. 2nd down. They're so close to the endzone that they're practically standing in it. Runningback Marshawn Lynch has been consistently making forward progress, so a rush or two would have a roughly 100% chance of winning the game. (Especially since the Patriots don't make big plays and thus likely wouldn't be able to come back on the kickoff with so little time remaining.)

In other words, they had the game completely and utterly in the bag. Just hand the ball to Marshawn Lynch, win game. Boom.

Instead, they threw a horizontal pass across the center, which was intercepted.

Aside from nonsense like "hand the ball off to a defensive lineman", there literally couldn't have been a worse play call. It was risky and had no beneficial properties in that context as played straight, and it doesn't disrupt the defense in any way that makes it a useful trick play.

Impala26

I'm a Green Bay fan, I just don't like teams with a history of cheating.

The city of Pittsburgh, surrounding tri-state area and Steelers fanbase as a whole echo this sentiment on a regular basis. Especially given that we may have actually been impacted by the "Spygate" era nonsense when the Pats were en route to the Super Bowl during the 2004 playoffs.

FWIW, I wouldn't be surprised if a Steelers offensive coordinator would make a similar play call to the one at the end of this Super Bowl, lol.

That said, Pats didn't cheat this time. As much as I thoroughly dislike them, this was some sort of cosmic karma given how many times over the last 7+ seasons they were "destined" to win it all and year after year they found ways to lose (18-1 anyone?). Here they are as champions when it looked like their goose was cooked. And also as much I despise them, they were not deserving of that fighting and thuggery that took place at the end of the game.

RowdyReverb

I know this is random, but I've been meaning to say that I've changed my stance away from supporting AR starts in H5. The thing that really brought it home to me was playing against a team that managed to equip all its members with long range weapons, which basically put my team in a corner with no real counter. This was on Pegasus btw, which really needs more BR spawn locations anyway to avoid this.

It was less of a problem on Empire or Truth because of the plentiful long range weapon spawns. In those, AR starts actually encouraged me to use the DMR or BR depending on what was available rather than just sticking with my starting weapon, which is why I originally liked AR starts in H5.

MegalonJJ

Banned
The difference is that there's enough differences between COD-style ADS and what we got in Halo 5 to warrant a different name. It's not like with Halo 4's junk where it really was just a marketing distinction. They don't want to call it the same thing because it's not the same thing.

It's the same thing bro. It's ADS to appeal to the fps market leaders crowd, with supreme levels of focus testing.

They tried with Halo 4 and broke sales records whilst destroying the population. Halo 5 continues where 4 left off; I repeat Microsoft's beancounters have given their special order 937 to 3v4i and I repeat "Priority one, insure hype and front loaded sales for maximum profit. All other considerations secondary. Player population expendable."

-Ryn

Banned
20 seconds left in the game. Four points down from the Patriots. Seahawks have a timeout available to stop the clock if need be. 2nd down. They're so close to the endzone that they're practically standing in it. Runningback Marshawn Lynch has been consistently making forward progress, so a rush or two would have a roughly 100% chance of winning the game. (Especially since the Patriots don't make big plays and thus likely wouldn't be able to come back on the kickoff with so little time remaining.)

In other words, they had the game completely and utterly in the bag. Just hand the ball to Marshawn Lynch, win game. Boom.

Instead, they threw a horizontal pass across the center, which was intercepted.

Aside from nonsense like "hand the ball off to a defensive lineman", there literally couldn't have been a worse play call. It was risky and had no beneficial properties in that context as played straight, and it doesn't disrupt the defense in any way that makes it a useful trick play.
Jeeeeebus Tripes that blows!

Thanks for catching me up dude. Talk about tripping at the finish line...

First time I watch a super bowl entirely and damm that last part was just so sad, I am officially drunk by pulque anyway
I'm going to be drinking some rum tonight and watching Spongebob.

Not because of this but it's all the more reason to

Looks like 343i's not the only group out of Seattle that chokes.
...I laughed

Omni

Is the MCC still broken or is the population just so low that it isn't worth searching BTB?

Just tried for the first time in a while. I've been watching this search screen for like 20 minutes. Nothing is happening

HTupolev

Can't wait for the needler ADS scope to bring in the CoD money...
If it smashes into the user and delivers a supercombine when they try ADS, I'm all for it.

Is the MCC still broken or is the population just so low that it isn't worth searching BTB?
Population could be having an impact, but MCC is still pretty broken, especially while playing with a group.

Broken eternal search is much less common than it used to be, but it can still happen. BTB playlist in particular seems awful. I admittedly haven't tried it that many times*, but I've literally never seen the system find any players in that list.

*Every week or two I get together with some people to take another stab at MCC, and we usually try a BTB search or two.

Akai__

Wait: are you the Juices everybody says to hire? And why?

He was the one calling Halo 4's failure. He saw things, that others didn't. And some people agree with his vision for Halo MP. Some of his longer posts are a really good read.

Also: http://youtu.be/4-klTojSkFs

Just tried for the first time in a while. I've been watching this search screen for like 20 minutes. Nothing is happening

I have yet to find a BTB game and there's literally a video out there, where a guy finds a match after 4 hours of searching.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Alt fire modes during ADS could make things interesting. Shock Rifle-esque needle rifle would be fun.

Never gonna happen though.

So my 5.5yrs old son has been playing all the MCC campaigns and was replaying AotCR when I showed him the back button for classic mode...he loves the original mode more and 343GS was so moody in his words. FUNKNOWN you hacked my kid into a CE purist, didn't you :)

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Played two matches of Halo CE on Sunday afternoon before the superbowl...not a single hiccup.

First match was 3v3 on Hang'em with CTF...nailbiter game that basically went the distance, not a single boring moment.

Second match was team slayer on Chillout, 2v2...also a nailbiter...the lead kept going back and forth between our teams...my team ends up winning by only a few kills.

Wanted to play more but wife and I had to go shopping for superbowl food.

Man, HCE is just incredible...it's like when all my frustrations kick-in with the other Halo games...HCE is the fallback that just brings a huge smile to my face.

My wife was watching and she said..."damn that game looks so old." I responded, "this is my favorite Halo game, and I still can't believe I can play this on Xbox Live."

She was highly entertained by how fast everything was...especially on the chillout match...both teams were going through the portals like crazy.

I still can't understand how this gameplay was left in the dust as Halo progressed...just doesn't make any sense at all.

Looks like 343i's not the only group out of Seattle that chokes.

10/10

I've never defended ADS, I've defended Halo 5's Smart Scope.
25424522111.gif

Know what's coming
Can see it coming
*Clicks link
Knew it was coming.

So apparently there might not even be a beta for the update? https://twitter.com/Brav/status/561696227050262528

Upon reviewing the data it turns out only 3 of you are actually still sitting there waiting to join a match from November. You'll get in, in this week's patch we made improvements to matchmaking. Trust us.

Hubble

Played two matches of Halo CE on Sunday afternoon before the superbowl...not a single hiccup.

First match was 3v3 on Hang'em with CTF...nailbiter game that basically went the distance, not a single boring moment.

Second match was team slayer on Chillout, 2v2...also a nailbiter...the lead kept going back and forth between our teams...my team ends up winning by only a few kills.

Wanted to play more but wife and I had to go shopping for superbowl food.

Man, HCE is just incredible...it's like when all my frustrations kick-in with the other Halo games...HCE is the fallback that just brings a huge smile to my face.

My wife was watching and she said..."damn that game looks so old." I responded, "this is my favorite Halo game, and I still can't believe I can play this on Xbox Live."

She was highly entertained by how fast everything was...especially on the chillout match...both teams were going through the portals like crazy.

I still can't understand how this gameplay was left in the dust as Halo progressed...just doesn't make any sense at all.

Then you started Halo 5 and Halo 4 and said, 'What the fuck did they do [confused]. This is not Halo'.

/rant.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Halo 5's pretty good.

I honestly felt Halo 5 had some Halo CE feel to it the week they had AR/BR starts in the beta. I'm really interested to see how they will incorporate the powerups, because if they manage to put both the overshield and camo with two or three power weapons on the maps, and keep the time to kill like it was...it will be pretty damn close to HCE's gameplay speed.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Not even the anti-aim assist? I get that practically every CE game I play.

You'll have to explain that, because I don't know what that is.

I do remember now, there was one hiccup...and I wish I had recorded it as a clip. On Chillout, near the plasma rifles and teleport room, opposite of rocket room, I ran into my teammate and somehow I fell under the map and continued to fall for a very long way until I died. It was the strangest thing, never seen or had that happen to me before, not even on original Xbox HCE. This must be a Halo PC thing or something.

Top Bottom