• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

King Leo

Neo Member
Naded never stated he dislikes H5. He said multiple times that he thinks it's fun. I honestly think he's scared to fully express his opinion on H5 in fear of getting roasted by his chat.

-Ryn

Banned
I disagree. In no circumstance should the AR hold an advantage against the BR even at close range. Why reward the unskilled weapon? At close range, the BR is even harder to land consistent all shots at a moving target than a faraway one. It is MUCH easier to kill someone close range with an AR than a BR, so why the hell would you reward that? Bungie had it completely right and their competitive PC roots demonstrated this in their making of the Halo games. While saying this, I am not saying the BR should destroy the AR but in Halo 5, it is far too close and I think the AR wins. There is a reason why there is BR starts for competitive playlists and AR starts for Team Slayer, because of this reason.
Then what's the point of even having the weapon in the first place? You might as well just have the BR and then the straight up power weapons. Weapons have roles for a reason. Even the HCE had an optimal range and would be at a disadvantage to the AR in close quarters.

Pros have not praised the game. Naded dislikes it, Walshy, Hysteria, and Roy all disliked it. Naded has gone on record to say Halo = no sprint and has said Halo 3 was the best one, and that they should have went the Counter-Strike route, as well as many other negative pro opinions. Ninja has been somewhat positive about it. In fact, a pro has told me something kind of shocking really about the game development.
Instead of eluding to it would you mind actually telling this piece of info?

Pro or not, I do NOT think they should've kept to Halo 3. I can't really argue on their consensus since I don't keep up with the pro "scene".

HTupolev

Then what's the point of even having the weapon in the first place? You might as well just have the BR and then the straight up power weapons. Weapons have roles for a reason. Even the HCE had an optimal range and would be at a disadvantage to the AR in close quarters.
Easier to handle at close range.

Actually, since you brought up CE, a pistol 3sk is actually slightly faster than a point-blank AR kill.

RBK

Banned
Naded never stated he dislikes H5. He said multiple times that he thinks it's fun. I honestly think he's scared to fully express his opinion on H5 in fear of getting roasted by his chat.
Don't watch streams often since I got actual games to play, but at worst Naded said it needed a lot of work.

Hubble

Then what's the point of even having the weapon in the first place? You might as well just have the BR and then the straight up power weapons. Weapons have roles for a reason.

For Team Slayer, the AR is very important as it is a completely different game. I'm sorry but if you do not understand how the AR's and BR's role in Bungie games and how both weapons catered to different playlists, and well people. then I cannot continue this conversation. On TS, everyone started with an AR because it is easier and more friendly. On more competitive playlists, the AR is defunct and not used. It's BR starts and control of the power weapons dictates competitive matches. So you're right, there is no point of having the AR in that list BUT that does not make it useless. It has its use in regular Halo playslists, where everyone plays - where the BR is rare. Youtube competitive Halo matches and you'll see the difference between a regular match with AR's and one with BR only. There drastically different experiences for the casual and seasoned Halo player, and that is why you have the weapon there in the first place.

I'm in the same boat. Only bought an Xbox One for the Master Chief Collection. I'm pretty sure I'm not alone in this either. Halo is the Xbox ecosystem. Without Halo, the company has nothing but an underpowered console with a shitty and slow OS coupled with less noteworthy exclusives. I haven't really touched my Xbox One since the beta ended as well. I was iffy about buying the console but fully committed after seeing MCC. Only reason I'm keeping my Xbox One is because I can't deal with the hassle of selling it, or the depreciation in value if I wanted to trade in.

I understand. Luckily I was able to get my one as a bonus from work but even still I got it for Halo. Certainly I will play other games, I've played destiny and just got battlefield but that system is a Halo system to me through and through. I'm certainly keeping my system and am looking forward to H5 but I can really sympathize with those who got this system for just Halo and are feeling incredibly burned.

I mean if you got a Nintendo system just for Mario it may still be a waste of money to some, as all money spent could be, but it does make sense to get a system for its biggest exclusive. What else but the exclusive would draw you in? So I really do understand those that jumped in for Halo and now are hating the entire brand.

And yet, I keep trying to load games in the MCC every other night. Le sigh.

Matchmaking wasn't too bad for me today. Got a 7v7 on Bloodline, and it was definitely on dedicated servers. Had a couple more matches on BTB that were fun.

But what is it with the nostalgia for Standoff? Possibly one of the worst maps in Halo 3, especially with AR starts. It always seems to get picked.

Chitown B

It also had this:

halo-3-map-snowbound.jpg

The feel is extremely important though. It feels ridiculously slow because the FoV is awful. Which is a bad thing.

Snowbound gets a really bad rap.

RBK

Banned
Isolation is bad, Ghost Town is bad, default Foundry/Sandbox is ridiculously bad.

Snowbound is far from it.

Adrift in H4 is like a smaller version of Rat's Nest, but the H3 version is just silly map design. Basically a race track.

Chitown B

Isolation is bad, Ghost Town is bad, default Foundry/Sandbox is ridiculously bad.

Snowbound is far from it.

Adrift in H4 is like a smaller version of Rat's Nest, but the H3 version is just silly map design. Basically a race track.

Isolation and Ghost Town, and Epitaph, SUCK. Foundry was a lot of things. Whatever you made of it.

HTupolev

The skybox
on Orbital is pretty good
if you glitch out of the map so you can actually take a good look at it

RBK

Banned
Heretic and Cold Storage were just the gems. Wouldn't say stuff like Blackout or Citadel were just horrible maps.

Most were pretty mediocre.

btags

I disagree. In no circumstance should the AR hold an advantage against the BR even at close range. Why reward the unskilled weapon? At close range, the BR is even harder to land consistent all shots at a moving target than a faraway one. It is MUCH easier to kill someone close range with an AR than a BR, so why the hell would you reward that? Bungie had it completely right and their competitive PC roots demonstrated this in their making of the Halo games. While saying this, I am not saying the BR should destroy the AR but in Halo 5, it is far too close and I think the AR wins. There is a reason why there is BR starts for competitive playlists and AR starts for Team Slayer, because of this reason.

wut.

Hubble

Bungie was a PC company bought by Microsoft. They made PC games e.g., Halo was presented by Steve Jobs. There console games (Halo 1-3) were heavily PC influenced if not PC games, especially drawn from competitive ones as its roots. Halo was originally intended to be released for PC and Macintosh until Microsoft bought them. Pretty obvious.

Isolation was a depressing horrible map. Ghost town was like playing in the Fresno dump. Epitaph was pretty but I can see the flaws. Rest of the maps ranged from ok to truely epic.

But I made a killer Fight Club map on Snowbound back in the day. It's still on my Halo 3 file share on the 360, along with the gametype. Good times...miss my trusty 360, sniff...

Halo 3 had some good maps, but they were plagued by its gameplay. Guardian 2v2 with refined CE gameplay (ie: more responsive jumps, tighter movement in general, red X's, ingame clock, etc.) might have been a wonderful thing.

Madness

Bungie was a PC company bought by Microsoft. They made PC games e.g., Halo was presented by Steve Jobs. There console games (Halo 1-3) were heavily PC influenced if not PC games, especially drawn from competitive ones as its roots. Halo was originally intended to be released for PC and Macintosh until Microsoft bought them. Pretty obvious.

It was the console that made Bungie though. Completely cornered the shooter market and revolutionized the industry. They wouldn't have had a fraction of the fanbase, hype or following that they got if they stayed with PC. Plus, OG Xbox essentially was a PC with a controller, custom NT architecture, Pentium III processor, first console to use a hard drive as well.

But you're forgetting, their first game didn't even have a BR, it had the AR and Pistol. AR to shred opponents from up close, pistol to dong at mid to long. The effectiveness of the pistol/3sk sometimes bled into it being viable at close range even, which is why people stuck with it.

Why wouldn't the AR beat out a BR at close range? Sure it's an unskilled weapon, but that's the point. It's inaccurate at range, spray and pray, if you're close enough, you're getting filled up with bullets. BR is still viable though and if you watched some pros play, even in close battles as people are trying to AR or SMG them, they're still pulling off BR or DMR kills.

The big issues are flinch because you're getting shot at and it screws with your aim/vision and ADS because of the fact AR and SMG become deadly at quite a far range. I don't know, I don't so much have an issue with the AR as it is the fact that it shoots differently if you're turtling with scope. They should remove the accuracy boost, tighter spread and range increase, boost how it works in hipfire if need be, and equalize ADS/hipfire like it was in past games.

Havoc2049

Mind blown....who knew???

SaganIsGOAT

But who the fuck are you, really though?

Oh lol.

Creative name he's got there.

He's probably just some sloot.

Or a slut.

I remember playing Orbital at Bungie, at PAX 07...? I turned to my good friend Capt. Blood and said, man, that map is shit. Not even a honey moon phase inside the HQ!

Probably uses a merkin.

Enough with these poisonous posts!

Fascinating

Top Bottom