• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

Deception

2 slayer games in a row where I get matched with someone on my team being their first game, and the first guy goes 0-16 and the second goes 1-17. We lost both games by <10

Tomash

Yes, Frankie and someone else from 343 explicitly stated that. As it turns out, automatics are an exception. I don't disagree with this change, but it's unfortunate that default controls give the player an advantage over anyone using thumbstick to ADS.

Zoom always gave you accuracy bonus, it was either longer aim assist range and/or less bloom. Try spamming Reach's DMR zoomed and unzoomed. ADS is cosmetical compared to Zoom, only difference is that ADS is obstructing your view. If you think that ADS is slowing you down, I think you're mistaken, it's probably because FoV is smaller, and so movement speed appears slower.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
#carryVizoutofOnyx

#nobloom

#michealbayhalo

#pistolstarts4breakout

#evencantliterally

Welfare

Zoom always gave you accuracy bonus, it was either longer aim assist range and/or less bloom. Try spamming Reach's DMR zoomed and unzoomed. ADS is cosmetical compared to Zoom, only difference is that ADS is obstructing your view. If you think that ADS is slowing you down, I think you're mistaken, it's probably because FoV is smaller, and so movement speed appears slower.

AR never had a scope. In fact the only automatic that had a scope ever before Halo 5 was the Silenced SMG, and that had an actual scope on it.

Granadier

Does Titanfall straight-up use Conduit ITC in the UI?

Could be right.
av4zcOt.png

JVEwF5R.png

RSB

Banned
I'm not fighting any fight, just not giving myself false hope on something I know isn't changing. Same as toggable zoom functions, it's not happening dudes.
I agree about the game launching without sprint being pretty much impossible. Console game reviewers are too dumb and they would probably have an aneurysm if they had to to play an FPS without sprint. 343 obviously wants to avoid that kind of backlash at any cost, even if the game design suffers because of it.

A classic scope option, on the other hand, would have literally zero downsides to it, so I wouldn't rule out that possibility yet.

What were the downsides to adding toggle options to 4? Still didn't happen.
Well, if everyone had that attitude, then having a beta would be absolutely pointless.

Ramirez

I agree about the game launching without sprint being pretty much impossible. Console game reviewers are too dumb and they would probably have an aneurysm if they had to to play an FPS without sprint. 343 obviously wants to avoid that kind of backlash at any cost, even if the game design suffers because of it.

A classic scope option, on the other hand, would have literally zero downsides to it, so I wouldn't rule out that possibility yet.

What were the downsides to adding toggle options to 4? Still didn't happen.

Akai__

New achievements for the MCC were added.

Pretty shitty ones too, like getting 100 splatter medals in H2A MP...

QUESTION regarding sprint's inclusion:

By leaving sprint in the game, what exactly do you expect will change? Will Halo 5 sell 10 million more copies? With there be 3 million players online, daily, years after launch? Will there be a significant increase in sales and population by including sprint and other design choices people are willing to accept because they feel there's no point in debating against it? People have been vocal on either side of the sprint debate, but I never see these questions asked or discussion surrounding the question of what benefits do we expect sprint to have on this franchise from a financial and player retention perspective?

RSB

Banned

By leaving sprint in the game, what exactly do you expect will change? Will Halo 5 sell 10 million more copies? With there be 3 million players online, daily, years after launch? Will there be a significant increase in sales and population by including sprint and other design choices people are willing to accept because they feel there's no point in debating against it? People have been vocal on either side of the sprint debate, but I never see these questions asked or discussion surrounding the question of what benefits do we expect sprint to have on this franchise from a financial and player retention perspective?
The inclusion of sprint (just like the inclusion of ADS) serves one purpose only. To avoid stupid reviewers complaining about how ridiculous it is to release a shooter without it in 2015, and to make the modern shooter crowd feel confortable during the two weeks they will play the game. Every other consideration regarding its inclusion (game design, player retention, etc.) doesn't really matter to 343.

Unlike Ram, though, I think debating against it is good and necessary, even if it makes no difference in the end.

I honestly don't think sprint and sprint alone is going to make million dollar differences in sales or even reception. Even when dumbfaces complain about older Halo games not having sprint, it's usually just a footnote.

Ramirez

Well, if everyone had that attitude, then having a beta would be absolutely pointless.

The beta is more about weapon balance, map input, etc.

Anyone who believes this beta was to get feedback on ADS/Sprint or anything like that...well. lol

You think the pros who work at the studio don't say/ask the same things you all are asking for?

Tawpgun

Tomash
(Today, 06:02 PM)

You polish or makin fun of me?

Granadier

What happened with HCS?
besides it falling entirely off the radar

h6aMHz9.jpg

I'm not sure I expect much change in the sales department directly with just Halo 5. However I expect the change to be a trickle down affect to other elements e.g. look at clamber or jump or map design or the speed and routes you can now take in the beta to flank enemies.

To me sprint is a catalyst in the design and development drawing board, without sprint the maps are smaller and the abilities wouldn't chain throughout the mechanics nor map design as they do in the current beta. This sprint element of change is unlikely to hinder sales, more likely to retain population and keep the franchise fresh IMO.

In terms of historical change I didn't like Reach's sprint implementation as it was too drastic with advantage/disadvantage trade offs when picking your one ability vs. your enemies ability, per encounter. As for Halo 4 I wasn't against sprint but I think the map design and sandbox movement/gun play wasn't suited well to it. Now playing Halo CE/2 with MCC and I find the maps make me happy without sprint but when I play Halo 3 I miss sprint enormously.

Fast forward to the beta and I see the elements aligning and balancing quiet well, honestly I'm surprised posters/players aren't more accepting of what sprint has enabled in a "fairer more balanced" sandbox with H5 e.g. chaining of abilities, the map design and movement, slide or charge choices etc. Sprint is now an enabler of design and new mechanics or movement rather than a gameplay disabler. The addition of sprinting away without shields recharging is a solid design response to "but they can just run away from a fight". I also find thruster a great response to sprint + sword elements of previous sandbox versions.

After the experience with Halo 4 and TU I always wanted to ramp up the default game for all players e.g. dexterity + resupply + recharge + firepower + shielding + mobility + drop recon + explosives + stability. For me having sprint, the new mechanics, more experienced map design with sprint as default has lead to this freshness of gameplay without the drastic elements of advantage/disadvantage from Reach/4's implementation of sprint and associated abilities.

TL;DR - I don't feel sprint will impact sales positively or negatively in of itself. Previous game sandbox attempts and map design never really clicked with sprint and the "core of Halo" movement/gunplay but the experience from them has lead to the H5 beta quality. I feel Halo 5 with sprint helps enable the map design and rest of the new mechanics to really shine and thus help sell the game initially but the excellent and competitive implementation will help retain populations and create a meaningful rank system.

-Ryn

Banned
Nope, but the reality is, they're just posts on a website. Most Halo fans don't like sprint, this is the third game we're getting it with. Most Halo fans vehemently never wanted ADS, it'll be in every game moving forward. Most probably could do away with killcams, they've been in Halo 4, H2A and now Halo 5. It's safe to say, we aren't influencing design decisions as much as we think, and the devs are listening instead to the overall shooter market.

Believe me, I know it sucks. But thems the breaks. You either will tolerate the changes and keep playing Halo or move on from the series, 'www.youshouldtryDota.com'. And I based most purely on anecdotal observations over the years. The various polls, discussions on Bnet, HBO, HGAF, gamefaqs, Waypoint, reddit etc.
I'd argue that Halo 5 is evidence that the Halo communities input DOES matter.
They've removed a ton of things that people complained about in Reach and 4. They've also added and enhanced areas that many consider important such as movement, map control, and weapon balance. Ultimately we won't know until 5 is released but the current direction seems positive. The beta itself points more towards 343 listening.

What Halo has always been to me is a fun game with a unique combat and sandbox (to put it simply). Slayer has always been about slaying with the occasional power up/weapon to fight over. I've always enjoyed objective more.

Also Johnny Randum isn't necessarily just some casual player who will drop the game. They could be just as hardcore of a fan as you or I. Everyone here is a Johnny Randum to someone.

If we're gonna give out our definitions of core Halo.

Shields
Fluid movement and jumping
Precision weapons as utility
Controlling power weapons and power positions on map
Skill based gun fights.
Guns Nades Melee
Everyone starts on equal ground.
1TH

Not enough Dr. Pepper apparently.
There's never enough Dr. Pepper
or Mr. Pibb

So not only can you not save whole films from the theatre in the MCC, I just discovered the films stored in your 'temporary files' either delete themselves without warning or are shunted out if you play more MCC games the following day. Exactly how many you can store before new ones take their place or how long current files stay there before new games are played is anyone's guess because once again, 343 haven't cared to felay that information to the player.

Oh, and obligatory week 9 and game's still fucked post. Something wrong with practically every match I played tonight. Uneven teams, party splitting, unplayable lag, maps failing to load, no true skill matching, all AR start options galore. But hey, the game was fixed on the 19th of December, right? All the people that paid MS for this game after that date haven't experienced these problems and thus don't deserve ODST.

CyReN

If I had to guess a lot of players will probably quit after S1, pay and playing time just isn't worth it. The wait until H5 begins!

VinFTW

If I had to guess a lot of players will probably quit after S1, pay and playing time just usn't worth it. The wait until H5 begins!

I don't think you're wrong.

Best case scenario they up the prize money for S2, get a decent set of rules, maybe a decent patch comes out? (last one is doubtful)... and keep the big name orgs in till H5.

I DO think halo 5 will be big though. I'm excited and I really hope some new faces come out of it.

Really could use some fresh talent.

Madness

If I had to guess a lot of players will probably quit after S1, pay and playing time just usn't worth it. The wait until H5 begins!

Had the game worked day one it would've been better. The first day or two, pro streams were pulling in like 600-1000+ viewers, not to mention ranks and the playlists would've been working day one, we'd all have been excited to play and rank up, watch the tournaments etc. At this point, it isn't worth it to any of us to play MCC either, or watch. Game is done.

Akai__

So not only can you not save whole films from the theatre in the MCC, I just discovered the films stored in your 'temporary files' either delete themselves without warning or are shunted out if you play more MCC games the following day. Exactly how many you can store before new ones take their place or how long current files stay there before new games are played is anyone's guess because once again, 343 haven't cared to felay that information to the player.

Oh, and obligatory week 9 and game's still fucked post. Something wrong with practically every match I played tonight. Uneven teams, party splitting, unplayable lag, maps failing to load, no true skill matching, all AR start options galore. But hey, the game was fixed on the 19th of December, right? All the people that paid MS for this game after that date haven't experienced these problems and thus don't deserve ODST.

That Guardian 2vs4 game seemed like fun. lol

Nice Ninja on Heretic btw. Not sure, if you saw my comments in chat.

That Guardian 2vs4 game seemed like fun. lol

Nice Ninja on Heretic btw. Not sure, if you saw my comments in chat.

Duuuuuude, I was wondering who else apart from my usual two viewers could be watching my stream lol, I stream from the console, so I never check the chat. Thanks man, despite all the garbage I still try to have fun with the game.

Ramirez

Duuuuuude, I was wondering who else apart from my usual two viewers could be watching my stream lol, I stream from the console, so I never check the chat. Thanks man, despite all the garbage I still try to have fun with the game.

I take it Halo 5 never worked for you?

I take it Halo 5 never worked for you?

It does (though sometimes it doesn't), and I'm really enjoying it to my surprise. I can only play the beta for 5 or 6 matches before I start getting bored though; two maps aren't enough to poop sock. Plan on a more detailed post of my likes and dislikes after the beta finishes. My opinions on H5 generally fall closest to yours funnily enough, with the exception of ads. It's fine on the auto's but I quite strongly dislike it on the precision weapons. BR's is the least offensive but the pistol and DMR are horrible and the sniper feels like it has input lag. I'd rather they balance the DMR with a 2x scope than the abomination they've stuck on the gun.

Loving Spartan abilities, particularly the mid air hover feature. Also loving reduced aim assist.

antigoon

Great analogy, T2!

Also -- and this may be naivete on my part -- how in the world aren't power ups ready in time for the beta? Seems like a pretty core part of the gameplay loop.

King Leo

Neo Member
Here's a Youtube comment that caught my eye..

Doesn't it just impress you beyond what you already were, to see some intellectual giant wield the TL:DR card? That clever quip which is the HALO 2 PP/BR combo of comebacks.Apparently it's all about who's a DIE HARD. Bruce Willis has the final word on who's legit right? And yet, I'm a die hard HALO:CE fan who hated the unholy fuck out of HALO 2. You know, like most of the original HALO:CE pros. Not because it was changing it up, but because its design choices are truly abominable. The weapons in HALO 2 are tuned like rancid shite. Only the BR, AFTER THE UPDATE half a year after release, had anything resembling consistent function beyond the dumbed down sniper that you can swipe like an epileptic and score easily auto-detected hits.. HALO 2 has the MOST auto-aim, the shittest weapons (except for HALO 3 having junk for a BR), and the most obscene weapon dysfunction. Oh fucking please, can I shotgun at point blank maybe 4 times or 2? No, no can I please have me an SMG that draws DONUTS on the wall? For the sheer aggravation it triggered in place of enthusiasm or fun, HALO 2 can chew my sweaty fucking ballsack for the most part of it's appalling design. REACH on MLG squats on the merits of HALO 2 gameplay. MLG is responsible for tuning HALO 2, and it's fixed BR into something rewarding enough to play. By mainly stripping out most of the game's deity-awful features. HALO 5 is the most elegant and functional HALO since the very first game. It's the ONLY HALO game since the first, that I'd rather be playing than the first. HALO 3, with it's presence of leading COULD have been sensational. If only the weapons weren't tuned to suck like a black hole. It's the ONLY HALO game, since the first one, that fully feels like a thoroughbred spiritual successor, but with evolutions in the play mechanics. OH NOES! People can MOOOOVE now. Yeah, because it was sooooo fucking stylish hobbling around the fucking map at 4mph, and going BOING through the air when you wanted to hop up a little ledge. HALO 5 shits a reservoir of slop over HALO 2 from the edge of space. HUUUUUGELY superior. The assertion that it's knocking off CoD, is predicated purely upon feeble aesthetic resemblances. It plays NOTHING fecking like CoD. Well, as a shooter, no more than it ever did. The only actual playable mechanic that's been lifted recently, is CoD employing the REACH-style jetpack by default. BUNGIE contemplated putting a sprint mechanism even in HALO 2. Instead they did the same thing in the worst way to the vehicles. Yes, the vehicles. One of the monumental design failures of HALO 2. With it's vehicle health, absurdly connected to the player. Who zooms off. But unlike HALO 5, the regenerate as the zoom, from the safety of a vehicle. The way the sprint has been handled in HALO 5 dials up the intensity. And it forces the player to make STRATEGIC DECISIONS. Cue the announcement: THAT> IS> FUCKING> COMPETITIVE. You squawking baboons are talking about it as if you just push the happy-magic button, every time you're in the shit. Utter bollocks. The sprint makes their travel, ergo their emergence on the map more unpredictable. It gives you targets that are moving faster, and at more variable speeds. It gives you targets attempting great escapes, that you gun down mid-sprint and mid-clamber. It also gives you targets that make wilder leaps AT you and past you, in attempts at more rough and ready face offs. For fucks unwieldly fucking sake. The pack has been granted a power that HALO has lacked in any reasonable form. EVASION. Players exploit it with variable craft, and it has made the game more demanded to pin down a target. The others feel positively sedentary now. And it gives the additional element of making a dash after them, knowing fully, that they have to find a solution to regenerate. It's not just the features you include, it's how they're balanced. This game is seriously competitive. You're talking like it's CoD. n00bs getting fucking scorched in HALO 5. Mercilessly. HALO 2, is the game that was LITERALLY tuned on Soccer Moms and Joe the Plumber. HALO 5 has been honed in conjunction with MLG Pros. And it shows it's tits off on that front. The main issue I have at this point, is that the servers are poorly selected, aren't performing so well, and the frame-rate is often bawls. Perfect the locked 60 frames per second at 1080p, and the competition behind this game is going to flourish. HALO 5 has all that is positive that HALO 2 ever had to offer, but isn't limited to those encounters. If you're all so determined to be forever locked into the bland HALO 2 mating ritual of strafes, could I suggest MCC, or perhaps taking up Line-Dancing?&#65279;

Just played with some superscrub TJ Ram in Breakout on my 343i tribute account, DedisCureCancer. Kid always went for the BR

TTUVAPOR

Banned
That looks like great feedback there for the Halo 5 BETA. Not a valid complaint against the final release/outcome of the games playability.

Honestly, if you are going to use tentative test settings for the weapons on maps and beta settings, I and many others aren't going to listen or take you seriously.

Hopping on in 5. Play a match real quick, gotta save my game in DA.

Dude, give me a fucking break...the beta is a beta for a reason, meaning thinking outside the fucking box...and by that it means thinking of all possibilities.

By the time full game comes out and something is whack, such as powerups, or the placement of items on a map...we're gonna have to wait either for patches or server updates for them to fix shit...why not get it fixed now?

I'm so sick and tired of Halo fans not thinking for themselves and just conforming for the sake of conforming.

I played many matches tonight and while I love the gameplay, the shooting mechanics are spot on...the actual game itself, as in...the core of the game, is boring.

I hopped onto MCC after playing Halo 5 and it was Battle Creek TS. Immediately as soon as I spawned, it was decision making in my head....based on my spawn, do I go for camo, do I go for a sniper, do I go for the overshield on the other side of the map...do I go for a snipe?

God damn man, Halo CE is light years beyond what Halo 5 is. Funny thing, Halo 5 could easily and I mean easily destroy Halo CE if they just implemented the basic stuff that makes Halo, Halo.

If we're not gonna get powerups in the beta, then for full release, I'd like to see the following:

Depending on the map...of course:

1. Snipes spawning every 30 seconds
2. Overshield and Camo both being on all maps, spawning every 60 seconds and adjacent to a power weapon, e.g., Prisoner rockets/camo
3. Rockets spawning every 60 to 90 seconds
4. power weapons and both camo and OS being on every map

Flame me all you want, but none of this would hurt scrubs that are new to Halo. With the way the ranked matchmaking system is, the good will be separated from the bad on week one.

Why shouldn't Halo 5 be more interesting than it already is?

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Here's a Youtube comment that caught my eye..

Doesn't it just impress you beyond what you already were, to see some intellectual giant wield the TL:DR card? That clever quip which is the HALO 2 PP/BR combo of comebacks.Apparently it's all about who's a DIE HARD. Bruce Willis has the final word on who's legit right? And yet, I'm a die hard HALO:CE fan who hated the unholy fuck out of HALO 2. You know, like most of the original HALO:CE pros. Not because it was changing it up, but because its design choices are truly abominable. The weapons in HALO 2 are tuned like rancid shite. Only the BR, AFTER THE UPDATE half a year after release, had anything resembling consistent function beyond the dumbed down sniper that you can swipe like an epileptic and score easily auto-detected hits.. HALO 2 has the MOST auto-aim, the shittest weapons (except for HALO 3 having junk for a BR), and the most obscene weapon dysfunction. Oh fucking please, can I shotgun at point blank maybe 4 times or 2? No, no can I please have me an SMG that draws DONUTS on the wall? For the sheer aggravation it triggered in place of enthusiasm or fun, HALO 2 can chew my sweaty fucking ballsack for the most part of it's appalling design. REACH on MLG squats on the merits of HALO 2 gameplay. MLG is responsible for tuning HALO 2, and it's fixed BR into something rewarding enough to play. By mainly stripping out most of the game's deity-awful features. HALO 5 is the most elegant and functional HALO since the very first game. It's the ONLY HALO game since the first, that I'd rather be playing than the first. HALO 3, with it's presence of leading COULD have been sensational. If only the weapons weren't tuned to suck like a black hole. It's the ONLY HALO game, since the first one, that fully feels like a thoroughbred spiritual successor, but with evolutions in the play mechanics. OH NOES! People can MOOOOVE now. Yeah, because it was sooooo fucking stylish hobbling around the fucking map at 4mph, and going BOING through the air when you wanted to hop up a little ledge. HALO 5 shits a reservoir of slop over HALO 2 from the edge of space. HUUUUUGELY superior. The assertion that it's knocking off CoD, is predicated purely upon feeble aesthetic resemblances. It plays NOTHING fecking like CoD. Well, as a shooter, no more than it ever did. The only actual playable mechanic that's been lifted recently, is CoD employing the REACH-style jetpack by default. BUNGIE contemplated putting a sprint mechanism even in HALO 2. Instead they did the same thing in the worst way to the vehicles. Yes, the vehicles. One of the monumental design failures of HALO 2. With it's vehicle health, absurdly connected to the player. Who zooms off. But unlike HALO 5, the regenerate as the zoom, from the safety of a vehicle. The way the sprint has been handled in HALO 5 dials up the intensity. And it forces the player to make STRATEGIC DECISIONS. Cue the announcement: THAT> IS> FUCKING> COMPETITIVE. You squawking baboons are talking about it as if you just push the happy-magic button, every time you're in the shit. Utter bollocks. The sprint makes their travel, ergo their emergence on the map more unpredictable. It gives you targets that are moving faster, and at more variable speeds. It gives you targets attempting great escapes, that you gun down mid-sprint and mid-clamber. It also gives you targets that make wilder leaps AT you and past you, in attempts at more rough and ready face offs. For fucks unwieldly fucking sake. The pack has been granted a power that HALO has lacked in any reasonable form. EVASION. Players exploit it with variable craft, and it has made the game more demanded to pin down a target. The others feel positively sedentary now. And it gives the additional element of making a dash after them, knowing fully, that they have to find a solution to regenerate. It's not just the features you include, it's how they're balanced. This game is seriously competitive. You're talking like it's CoD. n00bs getting fucking scorched in HALO 5. Mercilessly. HALO 2, is the game that was LITERALLY tuned on Soccer Moms and Joe the Plumber. HALO 5 has been honed in conjunction with MLG Pros. And it shows it's tits off on that front. The main issue I have at this point, is that the servers are poorly selected, aren't performing so well, and the frame-rate is often bawls. Perfect the locked 60 frames per second at 1080p, and the competition behind this game is going to flourish. HALO 5 has all that is positive that HALO 2 ever had to offer, but isn't limited to those encounters. If you're all so determined to be forever locked into the bland HALO 2 mating ritual of strafes, could I suggest MCC, or perhaps taking up Line-Dancing?&#65279;

I'm not worthy of such a post.

This is pure gold.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
What Halo has always been to me is a fun game with a unique combat and sandbox (to put it simply). Slayer has always been about slaying with the occasional power up/weapon to fight over. I've always enjoyed objective more.

Halo is Quake for consoles. Halo CE is evidence of that. Many Halo fans simply cannot understand how the two games share so many similarities. Though, post Halo CE...the connection between Halo and Quake became less similar unfortunately.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
I trust the opinion of Ghost Ayame, Dersky, Neighbor and Strongside over you to figure out all that stuff.

It'll be fine.

Do you enjoy Halo CE?

I'm sorry, but those guys were Halo 2 pros...and Neighbor starting out with Halo 3.

Would have been much different if say...Walshy, both Ogres and Darkman were working for 343.

Top Bottom