• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

Halo is Quake for consoles. Halo CE is evidence of that. Many Halo fans simply cannot understand how the two games share so many similarities. Though, post Halo CE...the connection between Halo and Quake became less similar unfortunately.

I don't think it's that simple, honestly. CE, while clearly sharing a lot of Quake's DNA, also made a number of gameplay changes that do more than just making it "for consoles."

TTUVAPOR

Banned
At the end of the day, I guess I enjoy the sound of a vinyl record over a digital MP3.

That's how I compare Halo CE to Halo 5.

;)

To those who simply do not understand, go youtube some pro Halo CE footage or even some pro quake 3 footage. Halo 5 is untapped potential to be something big, yet being held back intentionally to please some non-Halo demographic.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
I don't think it's that simple, honestly. CE, while clearly sharing a lot of Quake's DNA, also made a number of gameplay changes that do more than just making it "for consoles."

Of course it had to make changes for consoles....but lets not be so literal. It is our "console" version of Quake.

A true Quake game could never work on consoles, the controller limits its ability.

Halo CE was the answer. It was and still is (thank god for MCC Halo CE) the truest form of Halo.

At the end of the day, I guess I enjoy the sound of a vinyl record over a digital MP3.

;)

To those who simply do not understand, go youtube some pro Halo CE footage or even some pro quake 3 footage. Halo 5 is untapped potential to be something big, yet being held back intentionally to please some non-Halo demographic.

lol, CE may be old-school, but vinyl is the last thing I would compare it to. Maybe it's just my synesthesia but it strikes me as pure 100% digital.

;)

Well, to keep your analogy going, vinyl is cumbersome, hard to get into, and for the audiophiles and collectors. Mp3s are universal, quick, easy, and universally accepted. So... idk, maybe a meh analogy?

VinFTW

;)

You act like I don't love every Halo game for it's own reasons. The feel and satisfaction of 3sk'ing someone in CE, the BXR combo in H2, the 4shot BR with stupid projectile bullets, and fuck it, even the DMR in HR.

I love every halo for every reason, but Halo 5 is the way to the future. It feels and plays like Halo (with some flaws, sure), and will be the most anticipated Halo game since 2 for me.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Guys...I'm not talking about TTK. TTK in Halo 5 is just fine in my opinion.

Go hop into Halo CE...play a few matches. Seriously compare the matches you play to the ones you played in Halo 5.

What on earth is wrong with making Halo 5 be more like Halo CE in regards to map control, power weapon control and powerup control?

VinFTW

Not sure how true it is, but some players are saying it was suppose to be $500k instead of $50k for the finals. Doesn't help that the CoD Champs news came out today with 1 million dollar purse.

Maybe it was that BS I was complaining about on TB.net. They should have just made it 500k per season finale instead of this BS "oh theres a year end finals too!"...

Like... How needlessly and pointlessly confusing does it have to be? The end of the season, there are playoffs with a championship. The next season is stand alone... not year end -_-

Here's a Youtube comment that caught my eye..
Obligatory save the CE fans, save the CE Pistol, save the franchise.

Delusional to think they may change the game to have an effective Magnum and to focus on other skills in-game over watching a motion tracker (I believe the skill of players will naturally increase over time when they HAVE to focus solely on map and combat awareness)? Maybe. But will I ever give up that good fight? Nope.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Vapor, was it you who oh so generously called me out on /r/halo after I made a thread about the sniper?

I'm not on Reddit...sorry. Not me. Unless there is a TTU or a 91 attached to Vapor...it's not me.

And if someone is posing as me...I would laugh my ass off.

I would assume contracts for play were created, and a figure was mentioned, yes? And I would also assume Pro Players would hold on to said original contracts in the event they're not given an agreed prize/accommodation, yes?

SalientOne

Internet Batman
You don't need to answer if you can't, but why even keep Killcams?

They're helpful for exposing successful application of game mechanics, weapons and map positioning. Particularly for new players that are still learning how everything works. Of course that hinges on the accuracy of the replay, and that is unfortunately fairly rough for beta.

Have you guys considered <snip>making body death cam by default and allowing those who need to see how they died, the ability to press X to view the killcam?

This could be a good solution and something that we are actively discussing based on beta feedback.

antigoon

man don't these pro teams have legal staff? especially like, Evil Geniuses? These aren't exactly basement operations anymore.

Madness

They're helpful for exposing successful application of game mechanics, weapons and map positioning. Particularly for new players that are still learning how everything works. Of course that hinges on the accuracy of the replay, and that is unfortunately fairly rough for beta.

This could be a good solution and something that we are actively discussing based on beta feedback.

Thought you'd miss it, but great to know you are actively reading some threads for feedback. I can understand how they can be used to see how the offensive systems are working, and I can understand that newer players, possibly younger players may use them to see what they did wrong and what they can change but it's very jarring for me to be in a gunfight or during a team push, to then be put into the killcam with the music all the while missing out on that crucial few seconds. I do thank you for at least considering it internally to make killcam off by default and allowing those who need to see what's happened, the ability to press X or something to view.

New Beta guns when?
Also, will we get a Beta breakdown and stuff? Like with stats and a general overview of feedback.
Not like a list of what you'll do but what sort of feedback people gave the most.

Booshka

man don't these pro teams have legal staff? especially like, Evil Geniuses? These aren't exactly basement operations anymore.

For LoL sure, Halo eSports is still slumming and trying to rebound from a few years of terrible Competitive Halo.

-Ryn

Banned
Halo is Quake for consoles. Halo CE is evidence of that. Many Halo fans simply cannot understand how the two games share so many similarities. Though, post Halo CE...the connection between Halo and Quake became less similar unfortunately.
I can see the similarities and based on what I've seen H5 could use more good power items to fight over, but that's never been what the game was about for me nor the core of the game imo. I enjoyed just doing my best as a player, working with my team, and living for those moments of incredible brilliance that make everyone lose it. Power weapon and map control are just a part of that.

Here's a Youtube comment that caught my eye..
What an experience

xalener

Neo Member
Dude, give me a fucking break...the beta is a beta for a reason, meaning thinking outside the fucking box...and by that it means thinking of all possibilities.

By the time full game comes out and something is whack, such as powerups, or the placement of items on a map...we're gonna have to wait either for patches or server updates for them to fix shit...why not get it fixed now?

I'm so sick and tired of Halo fans not thinking for themselves and just conforming for the sake of conforming.

I played many matches tonight and while I love the gameplay, the shooting mechanics are spot on...the actual game itself, as in...the core of the game, is boring.

I hopped onto MCC after playing Halo 5 and it was Battle Creek TS. Immediately as soon as I spawned, it was decision making in my head....based on my spawn, do I go for camo, do I go for a sniper, do I go for the overshield on the other side of the map...do I go for a snipe?

God damn man, Halo CE is light years beyond what Halo 5 is. Funny thing, Halo 5 could easily and I mean easily destroy Halo CE if they just implemented the basic stuff that makes Halo, Halo.

If we're not gonna get powerups in the beta, then for full release, I'd like to see the following:

Depending on the map...of course:

1. Snipes spawning every 30 seconds
2. Overshield and Camo both being on all maps, spawning every 60 seconds and adjacent to a power weapon, e.g., Prisoner rockets/camo
3. Rockets spawning every 60 to 90 seconds
4. power weapons and both camo and OS being on every map

Flame me all you want, but none of this would hurt scrubs that are new to Halo. With the way the ranked matchmaking system is, the good will be separated from the bad on week one.

Why shouldn't Halo 5 be more interesting than it already is?

When typing this, did you not notice how ridiculously subjective and personal all of those sentiments are?

Not everyone is going to find a game boring because there's less things to fight over on the map.
Not everyone's savant switch gets flipped when they start up a Halo CE map.
Overshields and Camo are probably the last things on very many people's list on what makes Halo Halo.

There's nothing wrong with wanting Halo 5 to be more like CE, but to impose that on the potential millions who play the game and enjoy it in its current state... egh. funny taste.

xalener

Neo Member
Also yeah, that's ridiculous. There's already matches where there's like 4+ snipers on the field at once with the current spawn time.

Pls play CE against the pros at 343 and then come back.
I don't think he's implying that they suck at Halo though.

EDIT:
When typing this, did you not notice how ridiculously subjective and personal all of those sentiments are?

Not everyone is going to find a game boring because there's less things to fight over on the map.
True, but Halo is about fighting over those things.
Not everyone's savant switch gets flipped when they start up a Halo CE map.
Real cool man, guess the guy can't discuss what he's so passionate about.
Overshields and Camo are probably the last things on very many people's list on what makes Halo Halo.
And this is an issue with Halo's demographic imo as Power-ups are part of what defines Halo.
There's nothing wrong with wanting Halo 5 to be more like CE, but to impose that on the potential millions who play the game and enjoy it in its current state... egh. funny taste.
Impose, eh? Funny choice of words.

RowdyReverb

I could really use a teammate. Last two games I've played had literally 2 AFK players each. Anybody up for Slayer? Gold 1

xalener

Neo Member
I agree, but I also believe that isn't universal. Just a few posts up there's someone who reasonably doesn't seem to feel that way.

Idk what you're trying to say here, because the dude was clearly trying to use his personal experience as the linchpin in his main argument for pushing more power ups in Halo 5's beta. It's an argument you agree with, so I get the resistance, but how is me noting that his POV isn't universal telling him to stop feeling what he feels?

And this is an issue with Halo's demographic imo
Woah

as Power-ups are part of what defines Halo.
ok.
o-ok.

-Ryn

Banned
I don't think he's implying that they suck at Halo though.

EDIT:

And this is an issue with Halo's demographic imo as Power-ups are part of what defines Halo.

To you.
That might not be what it's about to other people though and that's fine. Halo is about a lot of things.

I've never thought of the power ups as something that defined Halo. They were a part of it sure but they aren't the first thing that comes to mind when I think about what I love about Halo. I love the combat and sandbox of Halo. I love the variety at play. I love that I might get my ass kicked or I might rock the match not because my opponent was a higher level than me, but because of our skills.

Top Bottom