• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

Doing something like HALO: Acts II & III that consolidated the original plot of Halo 2 and some of 3's stuff into something more cohesive and fully realized would be pretty interesting as opposed to H3 Anni. Forerunner Tank, The Ark is a Moon Wizard, Cortana geometry in Halo 2, using a paraplegic Scarab to fight Gravemind, etc.

What, you mean like a remake/combination/thing?

That could be pretty cool , done right.

Madness

My opinion on those 2 you posted, I think Halo 5's is better. You bring up sights, but the rest of the screen stays in view in full color, as in the past, it's darkened out and has just as much of a visual clutter with that circular reticule.

I mean you said you preferred the Halo 4 LR zoom over the H5 one, that is when I realized this is a mental battle for you, because the one in 5 gives you a MUCH clearer screen, and doesn't even look like ADS at all.

The DMR is the only weapon that I would agree with someone on it being visually messy, but they've already said they're changing it. The AR shouldn't have an ADS function, and the pistol needs a redesign as well. Really felt the other weapons were fine. I used Recon the entire beta, and it felt exactly like any other Halo to me gameplay wise from a scope dynamic.

Not a mental thing, a visual thing. I just don't see why the iron sights/weapons need to be visible in the middle of the helmet's visor/FoV. It's a mental thing for the rest of the people who need it for "modernity" and "immersion". Because it doesn't feel right if you cant Aim Down Sights for some reason.

So yes, while the screen stays in full color, with the classic zoom, you don't unnecessarily have the screen blocked by the weapon in the middle. That's it. I did say the H5 Light Rifle was the most inoffensive.

Halo-2-20070411043848392.jpg

SmartScope-BR.jpg

Like I just don't get it. If the darkening of the non-scope area is a trade-off, why not just have the circle, and keep the rest of the image full color then, rather than it ADS?

dwells

I can save and quit my checkpoints in H2A and pick them up later, no problem.
Congrats. The checkpoint issue has been widely reported by users who don't have your luck.

No. Dwells does have "I hate this game" filters on which drop all FPS to 15.
Yes, that must be it. No one else has experienced frame drops/stuttering and torn frames.

What does this mean? They're advertised as 60FPS, are we talking drops below 30?
I noticed I misworded my original post - there are drops in H2A which are noticeable, but overall it's pretty good. It's H1A that has the very noticeable drops and stuttering. I don't think it's down in the 30s, and it's usually not sustained terribly long, but it's enough to be bothersome.

HTupolev

Congrats. The checkpoint issue has been widely reported by users who don't have your luck.
When was the last time you experienced it? I saw it happen a lot around launch, but the few times I've played it since, it hasn't occured. I obviously haven't played it enough to get a good sampling of that, though.

It's definitely still occurring with up-to-date versions?

Leyasu

Banned
Not a mental thing, a visual thing. I just don't see why the iron sights/weapons need to be visible in the middle of the helmet's visor/FoV. It's a mental thing for the rest of the people who need it for "modernity" and "immersion". Because it doesn't feel right if you cant Aim Down Sights for some reason.

So yes, while the screen stays in full color, with the classic zoom, you don't unnecessarily have the screen blocked by the weapon in the middle. That's it. I did say the H5 Light Rifle was the most inoffensive.

Halo-2-20070411043848392.jpg

SmartScope-BR.jpg

Like I just don't get it. If the darkening of the non-scope area is a trade-off, why not just have the circle, and keep the rest of the image full color then, rather than it ADS?

You can see a lot more in the foreground with the halo 5 ADS. I like it, my mind was made up the first session I had in the pre-beta.

Its not modern, or any shit like that that I was/am craving. For me like I said it seems to leave the foreground visible, which is a welcome change. I love the snappy sights as well..

We ain't never going to agree on this. Loads people hate it, and I suspect that loads of people love it too. Nothing more needs to be said on it imo.

HTupolev

You can see a lot more in the foreground with the halo 5 ADS.
You keep saying this, what does it mean? Halo 5 ADS objectively cuts off a greater fraction of the screen. ADS also appears to still be using straight perspective projection, which means its behavior is exactly like the old scope except that it sticks a giant object in the way of your vision.

Are you just referring to the occasionally low degree of zoom?

RSB

Banned
No ADS=No Halo 5 purchase.
You don't have to worry, the game releasing without ADS is not a realistic scenario, it would never happen (chasing that modern shooter crowd is too important for 343 to do such a thing) There was still a slim chance of 343 including a classic scope option to please the players that hate that awful shit (and that includes many old Halo fans) but apparently a circle in the middle of the screen is too hard for them.

So yeah, a classic scope option would please everyone, but 343 is gonna 343...

After Halo 5, we're going to have even more kids say that CE, 2 and 3 are junk. It's inevitable. I have yet to see one actual good argument as to why an ADS BR is better than the classic zoom BR's of the past in terms of game play. The only reasons anyone has is that it feels modern which is really just implying it feels like CoD, especially with it on LT. No more reviewers and fairweather fans will complain that they threw grenades when they wanted to aim.
That's because there is none. It's just there to please the modern shooter crowd and to avoid dumb reviewers from saying the game is too archaic.

Madness

You can see a lot more in the foreground with the halo 5 ADS. I like it, my mind was made up the first session I had in the pre-beta.

Its not modern, or any shit like that that I was/am craving. For me like I said it seems to leave the foreground visible, which is a welcome change. I love the snappy sights as well..

We ain't never going to agree on this. Loads people hate it, and I suspect that loads of people love it too. Nothing more needs to be said on it imo.

You keep injecting yourself into my posts, whether it's a thought I have or if I'm responding to someone else and then trying to tell me I'm demanding explanations from you or that "nothing more needs to be said" or "that we aren't going to agree". I get it. You like ADS. You also love Halo 4. You're also crazy for datacenters because you spammed the hell out of 4 different threads with dozens of posts how if Halo 5 didn't have data center selection, you wouldn't buy it.

Madness

Were you guys less accurate with ADS or are we just looking for more stuff to shit on?

Eh, I know I have my reasons why I don't like ADS. I don't know how you're trying to pass judgment when just on the last page you said if Halo 5 doesn't have ADS you won't buy it. That means all other gameplay or even the past 5 Halo games mean jackshit to you if the iron sights aren't visible on the screen for you.

RBK

Banned
Eh, I know I have my reasons why I don't like ADS. I don't know how you're trying to pass judgment when just on the last page you said if Halo 5 doesn't have ADS you won't buy it. That means all other gameplay or even the past 5 Halo games mean jackshit to you if the iron sights aren't visible on the screen for you.

I've played 6 Halo games without ADS.
Logic...use it.

Just answer the question, were you less accurate with ADS or no? The visual "clutter" doesn't mean much if the shots go where I want them.

HTupolev

The visual "clutter" doesn't mean much if the shots go where I want them.
The issue isn't keeping the reticle on a target that's already at the front of your sights, it's the uncomfortable feeling of having awkwardly-restricted peripheral visual awareness for no apparent reason.

The issue isn't keeping the reticle on a target that's already at the front of your sights, it's the uncomfortable feeling of having awkwardly-restricted peripheral visual awareness for no apparent reason.

But... your peripheral vision is less cluttered now. It's the stuff in the middle that's more obscured.

HTupolev

But... your peripheral vision is less cluttered now.
Less cluttered compared with what? The old Halo scopes had nothing but a few edge HUD elements (i.e. ammo and motion tracker) in the peripheries. Scoping actually eliminated the gun model from your view entirely. Sometimes the periphery was a little dimmer, and Halo 1 had that outward "blur" filter thing, but it always felt like any movement across the visual field could be picked up on.

It's the stuff in the middle that's more obscured.
I'm using "peripheries" to refer to anywhere that's not the middle of vision, i.e. bottom region included.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Real question here: Why aren't you people worried about what the default starting weapons are going to be across the board in Halo 5?

That's what makes or breaks the game and the community as a whole. If it's anything other than AR/BR...game is done matchmaking-wise...having to be forced to play custom games or depend on the HCS to give some sort of competitive balanced Halo game is stupid...I'm personally done depending on that crap. Been dealing with it since Halo 2.

Real question here: Why aren't you people worried about what the default starting weapons are going to be across the board in Halo 5?

That's what makes or breaks the game and the community as a whole. If it's anything other than AR/BR...game is done matchmaking-wise...having to be forced to play custom games or depend on the HCS to give some sort of competitive balanced Halo game is stupid...I'm personally done depending on that crap. Been dealing with it since Halo 2.

That, DMR or BR/pistol starts are fine with me.

SMG or AR starts are garbage.

Can't speak for everyone else, but my thoughts are: there's a good chance the enthusiasm for AR/BR starts managed to make it to 343's ears, and even if it didn't, AR/Pistol (the worst case scenario), while inferior, was far from unplayable, IMO.

Cant wait to see it "free" in netflix next month

Can't wait for the inevitable prone announcement for Halo 6 and seeing how people argue for that.

New feature Tactical Pr...Stealth Position.

Nah, Halo 6 will be all about the random loot. Don't see how popular Destiny is getting?

I will jiggle if they add the loot box from Advance warfare that gives you random weapons with random stats and armor pieces.

Same issues with MCC here last night, hard reboots and still zero players found in Halo 4, Halo 3 or Halo 2 classic playlists. Not one player found. I played Destiny instead, again.

Madness

I've got some people wanting to pick up MCC. I don't know whether to give them the go ahead or what. I mean at this point, they might as well make the $23 price permanent.

I don't want to tell them, might as well pick it up, and yet have these problems persist till summer. They didn't buy it because of what they heard. Hopefully this "transformative" patch, comes soon. It was supposed to have been beta tested by us well over a month ago.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
If they are interested, they might as well get it on sale. $23 is worth it for the campaigns.

Fuchsdh

Speaking of the campaigns, I'm amazed at some of the stuff I've missed in it.

Such as In Amber Clad actually being parked outside the Library on Sacred Icon... and the same type of trees as the Alpha Halo/343 GS swamp being in High Charity.

ADS feels off for Halo and what it did with energy sword OMG NO NO NO.

They said it was cosmetic only, they totally lied.

For the sword it still never felt like it was worth it to try to zoom. Sprint up on an unsuspecting group and sword like normal. It may help if you're camping a corner and they are a little further out but besides that one instance using the sword normally was what worked.

King Leo

Neo Member
ADS didn't affect me at all really. I mapped it to my right stick and never felt uncomfortable. Aiming was fine, vision was fine (except for DMR), callouts were fine as always.

ADS didn't affect me at all really. I mapped it to my right stick and never felt uncomfortable. Aiming was fine, vision was fine (except for DMR), callouts were fine as always.

I agree I actually like the Smart scope on the Ar and Pistol and just about everything else, I do think BR and DMR need work but other then that nothing every "got in my way" or anything like that

The one on the left might be a 343i re-imagining, as they usually do.
You can see what looks like railgun turrets on it. I'm not surprised.

/shrug

Press down on the DPad for flood.

It's possible, but considering the proximity to what looks like a Forerunner, I'm thinking new vehicle (or maybe something non-canon Mega Bloks whipped up on their own).

Top Bottom