• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

Fuchsdh

B947_OqIgAAoZVu.jpg

Vulture in Halo 5? The set comes with Agent Locke.

Sounds good to me. Even if you can't pilot them they're an awesome looking airship, and would love to see them in campaign.

jelly

Double post, but it's crazy. Master Chief Collection has probably cost Microsoft millions in lost sales, plus the additional cost of having to develop relic, ODST port as compensation. It's probably sold 1/4th of what it should have, plus who knows how much it not working had affected console sales. All the refunds people have gotten. Any other industry, or even studio and there would have a massive shake up, especially after Halo 4 being lacklustre as well.

Depends what lead to problems and who was at fault. Did they bite off more than they could chew and didn't give the games enough care and attention, seems clear they didn't go above and beyond the call of duty. Was that by choice or forced by a time issue ? Who made the final call to release it instead of delaying it to make a better compilation that perfected the old games across the board, even playlists and defaults, a suit above 343 studio heads ?. I don't think Phil Spencer would want to rock the boat during Halo 5 development if that is going reasonably smoothly so I imagine any heads rolling if needed will be when that is finished. You could say any studio could do better and being Halo fans you can easily pick out the flaws over the years, whether that be simple aesthetics of games and just bad ideas even before 343 Studios. For Microsoft, is the brand healthy, showing growth and opportunity, are 343 taking advantage of that or blundering along wasting chances on big budgets ? Do Microsoft see merchandising going up, the games aren't great but good enough job 343. That's my worry.

Personally, didn't think much of their Reach playlist management making my DLC useless in matchmaking, CEA wasn't quite done right, looks and sounds, repeated with MCC, Halo 4 took the story and universe in a cookie cutter cartoon direction mixed with daft expanded universe of nonsense but the game did have some good gun play. MCC, not enough care put into that and you know the rest. In my mind, they've tried to do right but haven't hit the right notes, too many simple oversights, art direction that doesn't seem to fit the universe. They are a Halo studio that don't seem to get Halo or truly care or allowed to go the extra mile and are trying desperately and failing to expand it. It feels like they had all this time to set out their plan and came up with a very bad one but are sticking with it in hope people just accept it. You knew Bungie was done for a while and that's your take on Halo.

willow ve

Halo 5 was amazing. The MCC is a joke in comparison.

@ madness. So is it only kids that like ads, and only hairy arse adults that like the original method? And why would anybody have to argue why they preferred something? I don't understand...
Halo 5 was unplayable the entire last week for me. Pure lag in all games. Like BF4 launch day lag.

Madness

My theory is MSFT thinks Halo has the brand power of Call of Duty, and they can just churn out anything with Halo on it and it will sell. Keep in mind, all the COD games actually work, year after year.

FsRGpMe.jpg

Sad thing is, with MCC, they were actually ahead of all Advance Warfare games on Amazon in the month leading up to launch. The handling of Halo post Reach and launch of MCC has done more damage to the brand then anything Call of Duty has done.

As a 14 year Halo fan myself, I'm shocked to say I'm more excited for Star Wars: Battlefront than Halo 5.

Karl2177

I like ADS for weapons that wouldn't ordinarily have scopes (Plasma Pistol etc), but scopes for those that originally had them. Honestly, ADS seems like a great way to introduce alt-mode utilities for weapons that wouldn't just be used for headshots. Examples:

Magnum: standard fire, alt-fires explosive rounds at a slower rate but uses twice the ammo.

Needler: standard fire, alt-fire operates like a Nerfle but takes 3-4 needles per shot.

Grenade Launcher: EMP functionality still exists. Unscoped is standard, while ADS / scoped works like a Sticky Detonator used for timed detonations.

Plasma Rifle: unscoped works like the Plasma Repeater (low damage but high ROF), ADS works like the CE Plasma Rifle - thick, globby shield-stripping projectiles that stun targets.

As cool as these are, putting alt-modes on weapons has 1 problem that people seem to overlook, and that's what it is to be the player on the receiving end. The other player can't tell whether the person is zoomed in or not. Looking at the alt-mode weapons in the series, the Grenade Launcher was close enough to an insta-kill that it didn't make a difference what mode it was fired in. The Light Rifle's alt-mode was drastic in perfect kill times, but became really negligible in real encounters(especially with flinch versus unscoping). You have to make sure that alt-modes can be distinguished quickly by the opposing player, and the alt-modes aren't too drastic of a change from the original mode.

dwells

I think the biggest problems are upcoming to be honest, if the game is actually fixed this week and the 60% off thing is true, loyal/day 1 Halo fans got the ultimate fuck you in my opinion. ODST/Nameplates/1 Month XBL are not worth $36 along with 3 months of a barley functioning game outside of campaign (even then there are issues).
Amen. It's a total slap in the face.

I've been playing Halo 1 campaign lately. It's a good game still, but I forgot how much some of the levels are just copy and paste of the same thing over and over again. "Hey, that battle in the room was cool - let's make the player go to five identical rooms and repeat it each time. I bet they won't get sick of it." Assault on the Control Room becomes a total chore after about ten minutes. The first half of Truth and Reconciliation is brilliant, but the second half overstays its welcome after about the fifteenth identical Covenant hallway.

I'm not looking forward to the second half of 343 Guilty Spark (yay, backtracking through repetitive rooms!) and The Library may result in some controller tossing.

Leyasu

Banned
Halo 5 was unplayable the entire last week for me. Pure lag in all games. Like BF4 launch day lag.

Well, when I said amazing, I meant when I was playing locally. Playing out of region was the other end of the spectrum though. Anyway, they have confirmed that we can choose where we matchmake for the full game. So I aint worried about history repeating itself.

@ Madness. No worries mate, and now you have seen someone give some reasons why they like ADS.

As cool as these are, putting alt-modes on weapons has 1 problem that people seem to overlook, and that's what it is to be the player on the receiving end. The other player can't tell whether the person is zoomed in or not. Looking at the alt-mode weapons in the series, the Grenade Launcher was close enough to an insta-kill that it didn't make a difference what mode it was fired in. The Light Rifle's alt-mode was drastic in perfect kill times, but became really negligible in real encounters(especially with flinch versus unscoping). You have to make sure that alt-modes can be distinguished quickly by the opposing player, and the alt-modes aren't too drastic of a change from the original mode.

This could be as simple as the weapon design changing accordingly. Plasma Rifle's paneling opens up into a modified design, GL altfire adds a big Sticky Det sort of screen and the actual projectiles look different, Needler extends out into a more elongated form, etc.

Alternatively, you could change the Spartan's actual posture while in ADS to the extent that you could immediately identify an unscoped pose versus a scoped pose, etc.

Impala26

Sad thing is, with MCC, they were actually ahead of all Advance Warfare games on Amazon in the month leading up to launch. The handling of Halo post Reach and launch of MCC has done more damage to the brand then anything Call of Duty has done.

As a 14 year Halo fan myself, I'm shocked to say I'm more excited for Star Wars: Battlefront than Halo 5.

Aww man...
:-(

Well, it has been a decade since a proper Star Wars: Battlefront release so you're not totally unfounded there.

Ramirez

http://static.gamespot.com/uploads/scale_super/gamespot/images/2004/reviews/620258-562116_20041111_078.jpg[/img

Vs.

[mg]https://pushstartgaming.files.wordpress.com/2014/12/brscope.png

It's a matter of preference for people, give it up already, lol.

dwells

Is 343 done fixing the issues with the SP campaigns in MCC? Also is the Relic map free for everyone?
Nope, campaigns still have some major issues (frame rate, checkpoints don't work in H2, freezing/crashing in H4, etc.). Supposedly 343 is working on it, but it's been three months.

No on the Relic and ODST DLC as well. Only free for people who bought and played online before December 15 or something like that.

Madness

It's a matter of preference for people, give it up already, lol.

What would you rather have though, honestly? Sales, modernity aside. As a Halo fan?

It seems like ADS has already reached Sprint levels of "accept it" and the game hasn't even launched yet.

Nope, campaigns still have some major issues (frame rate, checkpoints don't work in H2, freezing/crashing in H4, etc.). Supposedly 343 is working on it, but it's been three months.

No on the Relic and ODST DLC as well. Only free for people who bought and played online before December 15 or something like that.

Checkpoints don't work at all in halo 2? How bad are the frame rate issues?

dwells

Checkpoints don't work at all in halo 2? How bad are the frame rate issues?
I should have elaborated - the issue is that saving and quitting a mission does not save your checkpoint. You have to beat the level all the way through. The checkpoints work as you're playing; you don't have to beat the whole level without dying.

As for the frame rate problems, they're severe in split screen. For single player, they're noticeable in H1A, very noticeable in H2A, not bad in H3, and very noticeable in H4.

I should have elaborated - the issue is that saving and quitting a mission does not save your checkpoint. You have to beat the level all the way through. The checkpoints work as you're playing; you don't have to beat the whole level without dying.

As for the frame rate problems, they're severe in split screen. For single player, they're noticeable in H1A, very noticeable in H2A, not bad in H3, and very noticeable in H4.

What does this mean? They're advertised as 60FPS, are we talking drops below 30?

Fuchsdh

I can save and quit my checkpoints in H2A and pick them up later, no problem.

What does this mean? They're advertised as 60FPS, are we talking drops below 30?

No. Dwells does have "I hate this game" filters on which drop all FPS to 15.

Karl2177

Halo 4 has drops below 60 in a few areas of campaign. The gondola room on the Pelican level, the turret defense in the Mantis level, the Banshee section in the Didact level all had frame rate drops in my playthrough last weekend. Those were just the ones that stuck out in my head.

Madness

Halo 4 has drops below 60 in a few areas of campaign. The gondola room on the Pelican level, the turret defense in the Mantis level, the Banshee section in the Didact level all had frame rate drops in my playthrough last weekend. Those were just the ones that stuck out in my head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHdyOkSj25c

This video has a lot of moments where the campaign does dip down, sometimes to 30 or below for a bit. It seems the Cortana rampant, or when things are loading, or a large expanse/room are what really drop the numbers down.

If they can get a lock on the multiplayer issues and fix them, is something like this feasible to tackle or no? Single player H2A, I only get really bad drops on Stonetown, maybe Bloodline. But Stonetown going over the beach side mancannon or looking at the windmill really makes it sluggish for me.

Ramirez

What would you rather have though, honestly? Sales, modernity aside. As a Halo fan?

It seems like ADS has already reached Sprint levels of "accept it" and the game hasn't even launched yet.

My opinion on those 2 you posted, I think Halo 5's is better. You bring up sights, but the rest of the screen stays in view in full color, as in the past, it's darkened out and has just as much of a visual clutter with that circular reticule.

I mean you said you preferred the Halo 4 LR zoom over the H5 one, that is when I realized this is a mental battle for you, because the one in 5 gives you a MUCH clearer screen, and doesn't even look like ADS at all.

The DMR is the only weapon that I would agree with someone on it being visually messy, but they've already said they're changing it. The AR shouldn't have an ADS function, and the pistol needs a redesign as well. Really felt the other weapons were fine. I used Recon the entire beta, and it felt exactly like any other Halo to me gameplay wise from a scope dynamic.

Doing something like HALO: Acts II & III that consolidated the original plot of Halo 2 and some of 3's stuff into something more cohesive and fully realized would be pretty interesting as opposed to H3 Anni. Forerunner Tank, The Ark is a Moon Wizard, Cortana geometry in Halo 2, using a paraplegic Scarab to fight Gravemind, etc.

Top Bottom