• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

Leyasu

Banned
I mean, you could switch to the universal control scheme where LT is always zoom in the MCC, but I guess riding the terrible opinion train is way easier.

Also, people confusing controls all the time? How do you people manage to do this? Because it never happened to me and I played like 10 different FPS games last gen, where I always switched between 3-4 different ones all the time. Played lots of other genres/games and never confused controls with any other game.

I tried the universal controls, but I keep going back to what is familiar.

Terrible opinion train ?? Lol . you got it mixed up. That train is the one where people are calling for the original scope system.

Akai__

I tried the universal controls, but I keep going back to what is familiar.

Terrible opinion train ?? Lol . you got it mixed up. That train is the one where people are calling for the original scope system.

Comming from somebody, who thinks Halo 3 is bad and on par with Reach and Halo 4 is the better game. I don't expect anything else...

I know you're not a moron, and I'm sure you already did it, but did you check both the port you use for your Xbone and the cable you use?

Yeah I tried switching out HDMI cords, switching which HDMI port on my tv it goes to, and have tested other things on the TV. My blu Ray player was used constantly while my Xbox was gone and I played on my 360 for probably 20-30 hours over the span of 3 weeks the X1 Was gone. I never had problems with any of that.

It's such a bummer.

I like ADS for weapons that wouldn't ordinarily have scopes (Plasma Pistol etc), but scopes for those that originally had them. Honestly, ADS seems like a great way to introduce alt-mode utilities for weapons that wouldn't just be used for headshots. Examples:

Magnum: standard fire, alt-fires explosive rounds at a slower rate but uses twice the ammo.

Needler: standard fire, alt-fire operates like a Nerfle but takes 3-4 needles per shot.

Grenade Launcher: EMP functionality still exists. Unscoped is standard, while ADS / scoped works like a Sticky Detonator used for timed detonations.

Plasma Rifle: unscoped works like the Plasma Repeater (low damage but high ROF), ADS works like the CE Plasma Rifle - thick, globby shield-stripping projectiles that stun targets.

Leyasu

Banned
Comming from somebody, who thinks Halo 3 is bad and on par with Reach and Halo 4 is the better game. I don't expect anything else...

Different strokes for different folks. I would hope that you are not trying to imply that your opinion is more valid than my own?

willow ve

Different strokes for different folks. I would hope that you are not trying to imply that your opinion is more valid than my own?

He wasn't implying anything. He was stating your opinion is wrong.
I mean seriously - Halo 4 is not the better game when compared with Halo 3.

Mistel

Banned
Always surprises me when I read that people disliked Halo 3. That game over LAN was amazing
Me too not liking reach or 4 I can understand but 3 seems to be a bit of an odd one to dislike. Unless you started with a later halo then when backwards where 3 can feel a bit slow compared to other but it makes up with the mostly better maps.

Leyasu

Banned

I know you are trying to be funny. There's nothing more to be said.

Side note, that post on reddit about being able to tell if you are on a dedicated server or not. Well telling you who the host is not fall proof, because I have seen the supposed host quit mid match. But, hearing the countdown timer and not seeing party privacy... The rare occasions when I get games like that, are the only games that seem to be to be one dedicated servers...

Either that, or they are the signs that you are the host?

No doubt 343 will remove that sharpish.

Skele7on

Banned
Uninstalled it last night, being in England I am simply fucked trying to get decent connection games and I am so so tired of losing on anything but custom games with people near by.

Leyasu

Banned
Uninstalled it last night, being in England I am simply fucked trying to get decent connection games and I am so so tired of losing on anything but custom games with people near by.

I'm in France and feel your pain. I have just played the second of five games today that started with the countdown noise and no privacy in the lobby bit. Definitely dedicated server games. No mistake.

Akai__

There's no such thing as "wrong opinion". I just disagree with him on that one,
but I'm implying, that he's a bad kid at Halo.

Me too not liking reach or 4 I can understand but 3 seems to be a bit of an odd one to dislike. Unless you started with a later halo then when backwards where 3 can feel a bit slow compared to other but it makes up with the mostly better maps.

Jep, thats an other possibility. Although Halo Reach was even slower, with Sprint, larger maps and Bloom (and AA's outside of Slayer Pro), in my opinion.

Leyasu

Banned
There's no such thing as "wrong opinion". I just disagree with him on that one,
but I'm implying, that he's a bad kid at Halo.

Jep, thats an other possibility. Although Halo Reach was even slower, with Sprint, larger maps and Bloom (and AA's outside of Slayer Pro), in my opinion.

I'm a good boy.. Honest!

No I started like most on here with CE in 2001. Something feels very off with h3. Whether its the seemingly slow movement, or the horrendous (lead your shots) BR? I can't put my finger on it. Both CE and h2 I played for years. H3 I stopped playing after two months.

I always put it down to my mates going to cod mw. But after playing H3 again, I now know it wasn't following my pals that made me stop playing it.

IHaveIce

Banned
Replaying the games nowadays Halo 3 is my favorite I think. Hitscan on dedis feels too easy.
Well h2A also feels good.

Classic Halo 2 plays horribly IMO.

CE is laggin like crazy for me always and I refuse to play it with the anti-aim-assist.

halo 4 is still crap.

Destiny and Titanfall are fun, Destiny's PVP is dogshit though.

Omni

Yeah, I kinda wish they'd do away with hitscan on utility weapons now that we've got dedicated servers. It's fine on snipers and lasers and whatnot, but I don't really see the point of it on anything else.

Leyasu

Banned
Yeah, I kinda wish they'd do away with hitscan on utility weapons now that we've got dedicated servers. It's fine on snipers and lasers and whatnot, but I don't really see the point of it on anything else.

The thing is though, those dedicated servers are rarer than rocking horse shit. I don't care what the spindoctors from 343 are saying. We ain't playing on them in any great frequency.

Halo 2 multi is dreadful.

A decent Shotgun ADS idea would be CE-style unscope (long-range, wide spread, good for chipping away at multiple targets) and then close-range modern shotty when in ADS.

DJ Gunner

I'm a good boy.. Honest!

No I started like most on here with CE in 2001. Something feels very off with h3. Whether its the seemingly slow movement, or the horrendous (lead your shots) BR? I can't put my finger on it. Both CE and h2 I played for years. H3 I stopped playing after two months.

I always put it down to my mates going to cod mw. But after playing H3 again, I now know it wasn't following my pals that made me stop playing it.

3 is bad, but on lan with 110% movement speed it almost feels like Halo 2 HD.

As frustrating to play on Live as it was, though- it had way more legs than 4.

Madness

After Halo 5, we're going to have even more kids say that CE, 2 and 3 are junk. It's inevitable. I have yet to see one actual good argument as to why an ADS BR is better than the classic zoom BR's of the past in terms of game play. The only reasons anyone has is that it feels modern which is really just implying it feels like CoD, especially with it on LT. No more reviewers and fairweather fans will complain that they threw grenades when they wanted to aim.

Omni

The thing is though, those dedicated servers are rarer than rocking horse shit. I don't care what the spindoctors from 343 are saying. We ain't playing on them in any great frequency.

Halo 5 seemed pretty solid, no?

I know MCC is all kinds of screwed up still. But I don't recall running into any problems during the beta.

Leyasu

Banned
Halo 5 seemed pretty solid, no?

I know MCC is all kinds of screwed up still. But I don't recall running into any problems during the beta.

Halo 5 was amazing. The MCC is a joke in comparison.

@ madness. So is it only kids that like ads, and only hairy arse adults that like the original method? And why would anybody have to argue why they preferred something? I don't understand...

In 2009, a company was established charged solely with the investment, care and stewardship of a single franchise.

In 2014, this single-intellectual-property developer released the first console Halo game since 2012, a full 24 months after Halo 4.

In 2015, nobody is playing Halo on Microsoft's current console because the game they released doesn't work.

It's actually pretty crazy it's been allowed to happen.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
In 2009, a company was established charged solely with the investment, care and stewardship of a single franchise.

In 2014, this single intellectual property developer released the first console Halo game since 2012, a full 24 months after Halo 4.

In 2015, nobody is playing Halo on Microsoft's current console because the game they released doesn't work.

All their money is riding on Halo 5. ;)

MCC to me was just a filler game for Halo 5. There may not be a yearly Halo like COD, but there is a yearly Halo content release every year, whether it's some big DLC promo, an expansion like ODST, or a full-game. Every year...Halo content around the fall/winter holidays.

2015 - Halo 5
2014 - MCC/Spartan Strike
2013 - Halo Spartan Assault/Halo 4
2012 - Halo 4
2011 - Halo Combat Evolved Annv
2010 - Halo Reach
2009 - Halo 3 ODST/Halo Wars
2008 - .....can't seem to remember what came out this year...DLC?
2007 - Halo 3

In 2014, this single-intellectual-property developer released the first console Halo game since 2012, a full 24 months after Halo 4.

343i should absorb Certain Affinity to help with the workload seeing how they can't handle it. I'd rather them work on Halo 5 then try to fix a hopelessly broken game.

m23

343i should absorb Certain Affinity to help with the workload seeing how they can't handle it. I'd rather them work on Halo 5 then try to fix a hopelessly broken game.

I don't think that will be happening. Pretty sure CA is working on their own new IP now.

Impala26

Always surprises me when I read that people disliked Halo 3. That game over LAN was amazing

Halo 3 has an incredible campaign, very replayable, especially thanks to 4-player co-op and it's full of exciting moments and none of that frustrating BS that seemed to crop up in the H2 campaign.

But the multi just hasn't held up over the years compared to the other games. If I were to explain this it would certainly be due to the sluggish base movement speed, the inconsistent BR and the fact that Equipment and some of the weapon sandbox wasn't balanced very well. I actually loved equipment, especially for the variety it can add to encounters, but clearly Regen was OP and things like Trip Mine and Flare were virtually useless. I loved the shit out of Bubble Shield and Grav Lift.

jelly

I wonder if Certain Affinity will be doing something bigger or their own thing now if Halo 5 is all in house at 343.

Halo has come out every year for a while now, 343 might not be big enough to have two games on the go so another studio is doing a Halo game or they might give the series a little breathing room and reflect on what they've done over the last 4 years. I still think if they're so interested in chasing the wider audience do a marine/odst/colonies game for that style of shooter. I hope they have something more interesting in development though, lead don't follow.

jelly

Halo 3 has an incredible campaign, very replayable, especially thanks to 4-player co-op and it's full of exciting moments and none of that frustrating BS that seemed to crop up in the H2 campaign.

But the multi just hasn't held up over the years compared to the other games. If I were to explain this it would certainly be due to the sluggish base movement speed, the inconsistent BR and the fact that Equipment and some of the weapon sandbox wasn't balanced very well. I actually loved equipment, especially for the variety it can add to encounters, but clearly Regen was OP and things like Trip Mine and Flare were virtually useless. I loved the shit out of Bubble Shield and Grav Lift.

Yeah, a little sluggish and I don't particular like many of the weapons and dual wielding. I feel the most annoying thing is the field of view, it's never sat right with me.

Madness

@ madness. So is it only kids that like ads, and only hairy arse adults that like the original method? And why would anybody have to argue why they preferred something? I don't understand...

Well this is a discussion board, not a bulletin board. You also usually explain why you like something rather than just because.

For example, what would you think if I just wrote, "I don't like data center selection in Halo 5" and that's it. I don't write why I feel this way and if challenged, I say it's what I prefer. What does that ultimately do for any kind of discussion?

Akai__

Just like any other Halo game. A coupple of tweaks here and there and you have a pretty good Halo game. I seriously hope they change stuff in the MCC. I have a long list already made up in my mind.

Madness

Double post, but it's crazy. Master Chief Collection has probably cost Microsoft millions in lost sales, plus the additional cost of having to develop relic, ODST port as compensation. It's probably sold 1/4th of what it should have, plus who knows how much it not working had affected console sales. All the refunds people have gotten. Any other industry, or even studio and there would have a massive shake up, especially after Halo 4 being lacklustre as well.

CyReN

I think the biggest problems are upcoming to be honest, if the game is actually fixed this week and the 60% off thing is true, loyal/day 1 Halo fans got the ultimate fuck you in my opinion. ODST/Nameplates/1 Month XBL are not worth $36 along with 3 months of a barley functioning game outside of campaign (even then there are issues).

On the one hand it's cool to have people hopefully coming back after the months and months of terrible pr the game has, but in the other we got hosed hard. I don't know how to feel anymore.

I feel if you got the game before this weekends sale you should have something along the lines of 50% off Halo 5: Guardians at release on Xbox Live.

Either way, I just want to play Halo multiplayer online with minimal issues, stuff is so annoying.

I think the biggest problems are upcoming to be honest, if the game is actually fixed this week and the 60% off thing is true, loyal/day 1 Halo fans got the ultimate fuck you in my opinion. ODST/Nameplates/1 Month XBL are not worth $36 along with 3 months of a barley functioning game outside of campaign (even then there are issues).

On the one hand it's cool to have people hopefully coming back after the months and months of terrible pr the game has, but in the other we got hosed hard. I don't know how to feel anymore.

I feel if you got the game before this weekends sale you should have something along the lines of 50% off Halo 5: Guardians at release on Xbox Live.

You'll get a week of early, bug-ridden access to the Big Team Beta in June and like it.

TTUVAPOR

Banned

Either way, I just want to play Halo multiplayer online with minimal issues, stuff is so annoying.

I would agree on the 50% Guardians deal. Or give us more free months of live that equate to three months basically.

I pre-ordered this game digitally when it first released to pre-order...bad, bad mistake. Never again. Ever.

Also, I wish MSFT were more like Amazon in regards to customer service.

Back when the Xbox One was launching, Amazon did an amazing customer service deal for those who pre-ordered the Day One editions.

Long story short, leading up the week of Xbox One launch, Amazon emailed their customers who were on the preorder waiting list that week saying that Monday morning there were going to be X1 preorders available at 7AM, limited quantities of the Day One Edition. I luckily was able to get one. I had chosen 1-day shipping so that my Xbox would be at my door the day of launch.

Then I get an email on Wed evening from Amazon saying they apologize to everyone who preordered the Day One edition that week, they made a mistake and were only going to have standard edition consoles. For the troubles of this...they gave everyone $50 cash back as a refund. So...now my Xbox was $450.

Then I get a text update telling me my Xbox wasn't going to be here till the following Monday...not launch day. I called up Amazon, told them the whole point of over night shipping was to get it on launch day. Their rep apologized and said they would be willing to give me an Xbox One game of my choosing. So...that's another $60 free, plus they refunded me the shipping fee.

For the price of a PS4, I was able to get an Xbox One game plus the Xbox One with Kinect (though I have that thing unplugged and stowed away).

Think about what we have been through with MCC...and we're getting a freakin multiplayer map, a in-game jpeg emblem, and $8 for a free month of XBL??

That's basically a slap in the face to those who purchased this game well before it released.

Leyasu

Banned
Well this is a discussion board, not a bulletin board. You also usually explain why you like something rather than just because.

For example, what would you think if I just wrote, "I don't like data center selection in Halo 5" and that's it. I don't write why I feel this way and if challenged, I say it's what I prefer. What does that ultimately do for any kind of discussion?

You're demanding an explanation though. Nobody owes you anything madness... Remember that.

It felt snappy during the beta, I liked that only some of the screen "zoomed" (apart from the awful DMR ads) whilst the rest didn't. Meaning I could still see a bit of what was going on around me. With the old BR zoom for example, you cant see anything nearby. ADS allows you to to have the best of both worlds... Sort of. Plus I loved it on the left trigger.

There you go. My opinion on it.... Well off the top of my head. I aint got time to sit down and analyse it. Feel free to tell me why my ideas are flawed. Discussion board or not, once someone has formulated their opinion, it is rare to see it changed.

Haruko

Both of my big complaints about Smart Down Sights are being addressed (DMR scope visibility and Sniper animation being slow and clunky/skipping frames).

Aside from those, I didn't have any strong preference for old zoom over it.

(EDIT: I guess the only remaining issue I have is LT-to-scope users not having to re-press after being descoped)

Skele7on

Banned
I'm in France and feel your pain. I have just played the second of five games today that started with the countdown noise and no privacy in the lobby bit. Definitely dedicated server games. No mistake.

But it just screams me down all the time, my pings to servers are quite literally dreadful it's not my internet connection it's the fact they're all so so far away.

Move to America imo

Nah

Not worth it.

Truth.

I played a few games of Halo 5 it was okay, it's change a lot but still sort of feels like Halo but I don't know you guys.
My whole Halo love and affair was between the 30k games I played between Halo 2/3
I was promised I could go back to that forgotten promise land with dedicated servers and sweet 60fps.

What I got was a lie.
A lie that cuts deep as for me.
It's tarnished my teenage years of being a loser playing far far too much Halo.....

Even the "Bonuses" we're meant to get suck, I mean in all honestly I don't want to wear a faceplate that essentially says "look at this idiot"

I'm pissed off as I truly love this game to death, but 343i I simply do not trust with Halo anymore.

I'm sure some fans feel the way I do which is a shame, as I think we're seeing the death of Halo because it was left under not good enough hands.

Finaj

B947_OqIgAAoZVu.jpg

Vulture in Halo 5? The set comes with Agent Locke.

You're demanding an explanation though. Nobody owes you anything madness... Remember that.

It felt snappy during the beta, I liked that only some of the screen "zoomed" (apart from the awful DMR ads) whilst the rest didn't. Meaning I could still see a bit of what was going on around me. With the old BR zoom for example, you cant see anything nearby. ADS allows you to to have the best of both worlds... Sort of. Plus I loved it on the left trigger.

There you go. My opinion on it.... Well off the top of my head. I aint got time to sit down and analyse it. Feel free to tell me why my ideas are flawed. Discussion board or not, once someone has formulated their opinion, it is rare to see it changed.

Please adjust the brightness and contrast on your TV.

Madness

"I have yet to see one actual good argument as to why an ADS BR is better than the classic zoom BR's of the past in terms of game play."

That's what I wrote. It wasn't even directed at you, but you felt the need to respond, saying no one should have to explain what they prefer. Well okay, if you don't want to explain why, then I'm free to keep saying, I have yet to see a good argument. See how that works? Demanding an explanation? Okay...

TTUVAPOR

Banned
But it just screams me down all the time, my pings to servers are quite literally dreadful it's not my internet connection it's the fact they're all so so far away.

Nah

Truth.

I played a few games of Halo 5 it was okay, it's change a lot but still sort of feels like Halo but I don't know you guys.
My whole Halo love and affair was between the 30k games I played between Halo 2/3
I was promised I could go back to that forgotten promise land with dedicated servers and sweet 60fps.

What I got was a lie.
A lie that cuts deep as for me.
It's tarnished my teenage years of being a loser playing far far too much Halo.....

Even the "Bonuses" we're meant to get suck, I mean in all honestly I don't want to wear a faceplate that essentially says "look at this idiot"

I'm pissed off as I truly love this game to death, but 343i I simply do not trust with Halo anymore.

I'm sure some fans feel the way I do which is a shame, as I think we're seeing the death of Halo because it was left under not good enough hands.

My theory is MSFT thinks Halo has the brand power of Call of Duty, and they can just churn out anything with Halo on it and it will sell. Keep in mind, all the COD games actually work, year after year.

Top Bottom