• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

jelly

Cut scene starts, player takes control, jumps out of pelican, free falling, thrusters towards enemy vehicle for hijack, decides to drop grenade instead, continues free falling heading towards the ground battle, adjusts thrusters for spartan air stomp on enemy. Warthog pulls up, Halo 3 Starry Night ending but with a Warthog jump into a massive all out battle.

jem0208

Superior date system you mean.

Works out well for me, since it means I'm always carring 2 rulers at the bottom of my legs.

imperial_vs__metric_by_nekit1234007-d5p0ou5.png

Nothing you do makes any sense.

That said, some of the stuff the UK does makes no sense either.

imperial_vs__metric_by_nekit1234007-d5p0ou5.png

Nothing you do makes any sense.

The date system is better, since it's closer to the ideal one (YYYY, MM, DD, with the YYYY tacked onto the end since presumably everybody knows what year it is), but I do agree with the metric system. It needs to be made into an industrial standard, so it can eventually turn into an everyday one.

jem0208

The date system is better, since it's closer to the ideal one (YYYY, MM, DD, with the YYYY tacked onto the end since presumably everybody knows what year it is), but I do agree with the metric system. It needs to be made into an industrial standard, so it can eventually turn into an everyday one.

Why is the YYYY/MM/DD system the ideal though? I can see it's benefit in computer usage however in normal conversation it seems somewhat counter-intuitive. It starts with what is usually the least important. We normally only use the month and day and only include the year if necessary.

It's also the exact opposite of how you would say a date. 2015, March the 22nd sounds completely wrong compared to the 22nd of March, 2015.

Regarding imperial usage, I'd argue the UK is actually almost worse in this regard. We tried to implement metric and just seemed to give up halfway through. Now we have a hodgepodge of different things like pints of milk or beer and litres of water and Coke. At least the US is consistent in using the shitty system.

Halo

YYYY MM DD is ideal for sorting; you're right that it's cumbersome in conversation, which is why the year gets moved to the back. DD MM YYYY is just flat out ass-backwards, though.

DD/MM/YYYY makes sense because it's both ideal for conversation and also in ascending order. I can see how YYYY/MM/DD would be useful for sorting though. Both are better than MM/DD/YYYY however.

Why is the YYYY/MM/DD system the ideal though? I can see it's benefit in computer usage however in normal conversation it seems somewhat counter-intuitive. It starts with what is usually the least important. We normally only use the month and day and only include the year if necessary.

It's also the exact opposite of how you would say a date. 2015, March the 22nd sounds completely wrong compared to the 22nd of March, 2015.

Halo

YYYY MM DD is ideal for sorting; you're right that it's cumbersome in conversation, which is why the year gets moved to the back. DD MM YYYY is just flat out ass-backwards, though.

RowdyReverb

It's been close to 3 weeks since the last MCC patch. What are you guys expecting/hoping for in the next one?

The last pressing issue for me personally is a file share system for maps and modes, preferably with some modern touches like voting and commenting. There's a few other things like H3's forge and sound issues, as well as some needed playlist updates, but those things aren't killing me.

jem0208

Beware! He has risen!

I'm excited! Can't wait to see what he though of the H5 beta...

why was it confusing? It says it at the bottom haha

Oh it was just a first glance, first thought was what the hell the 22nd month was. Took me a second to realise I was being stupid.

This bloody #Huntthetruth thing is getting revealed at 1am. They could have picked a more convenient time.

m23

Finally completed a coop run of Halo CE on Xbox One. Now I wait for the eventual return of Dustin Echoes in Halo 5.

middle endian is backwards since it has no progression in ascending or descending order.

Little and Big Endian are both logical. Big Endian is perfect for sorting and quickly finding dates and Little Endian is for regular usage. The date of the day is the most important factor because it's typically assumed that both the month and the year are known and if not they are later specified.

The thing is Middle Endian that the US use was originally used in england. The colonies took it with them and when England changed to the Superior system the majority of the world use the Americas decided not to likely out of a desire to set themselves apart.

IHaveIce

Banned
I cannot understand how people defend celsius. When it comes to actually describing the weather, I'd rather have a more useful and granular scale.

da fuck. Celsius/Kelvin are way better than Fahrenheit.

Ah man I can't argue about this stuff in a Halo thread.

jem0208

I cannot understand how people defend celsius. When it comes to actually describing the weather, I'd rather have a more useful and granular scale.

Because it revolves around the most important aspect of weather: waters freezing point. It just makes far more sense. Celsius is also far better from a scientific perspective and its better to be consistent.

There's also the fact that there are literally no benefits in using Fahrenheit over Celsius.

middle endian is backwards since it has no progression in ascending or descending order.

Little and Big Endian are both logical. Big Endian is perfect for sorting and quickly finding dates and Little Endian is for regular usage. The date of the day is the most important factor because it's typically assumed that both the month and the year are known and if not they are later specified.

The thing is Middle Endian that the US use was originally used in england. The colonies took it with them and when England changed to the Superior system the majority of the world use the Americas decided not to likely out of a desire to set themselves apart.

This is basically what I wanted to say but far more eloquently than I could be bothered to write.

Anyway, why are we still talking about this when his saltiness has returned??

Karl2177

Is there something that I am missing? I have the achievements for activating every terminal in every game, but am missing the achievement for activating every terminal. I've also activated the Cortana terminal and the Halo terminal on Legendary difficulty.

RowdyReverb

I wonder if people using thrusters and still dying will make stuff like this even more satisfying in 5.
It was satisfying to kill people who turned a corner and quickly changed their mind and reverse-thrusted. It's like a visual manifestation of "oh shit"

IHaveIce

Banned
Is there something that I am missing? I have the achievements for activating every terminal in every game, but am missing the achievement for activating every terminal. I've also activated the Cortana terminal and the Halo terminal on Legendary difficulty.
Wasn't there also a blind terminal in Halo 4?

Could be imaning things though.

People that say Paper Rock Scissors probably like bad music and can't dance. Anyone with any sort of rhythm isn't going to say Paper Rock Scissors, without realizing something is wrong.
hahah

I'm waiting to see if Ryn knows that and was meta with his post given the context of the surrounding convo (day before month, month before day) or if he just can't dance, has no rhythm, probably sucks in bed, etc. like you said.

Karl2177

Also related to the terminals: Why does my Halo channel language switch to Japanese when I'm watching videos? Like I'll be watching H2A Terminal 2 and then it'll go to the next Terminal and it's playing in Japanese.

-Ryn

Banned
hahah

I'm waiting to see if Ryn knows that and was meta with his post given the context of the surrounding convo (day before month, month before day) or if he just can't dance, has no rhythm, probably sucks in bed, etc. like you said.
tumblr_mw4nrwQDki1sgl0ajo1_500.gif

Interestingly, when I was a kid in Texas everyone would say PRS as opposed to RPS. In most other places I lived though it was the latter.

Top Bottom