• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

Akai__

Sword + Sprint really needs to go. It's straight up cheap and annoying. This is the 3rd game, where Sprint gives Close Quarter weapons a huge advantage and 343i fails to realize this...

first reply:
jGOrF0i.png
There is one answer to this riddle:

I beat PoodleDoodle. I'd like to thank FUNK for his constant vigilence, SubZero for his beautiful videos, Vis for his awesome OT's, Ram for his time-traveling audio, and everyone else for donging on scrubs.

Edit: and Sik for putting together a HaloGAF beta montage.
Oh right, I have some CLIPS too! I'll dig some up and send you a message when I can.

Welfare

Sword + Sprint really needs to go. It's straight up cheap and annoying. This is the 3rd game, where Sprint gives Close Quarter weapons a huge advantage and 343i fails to realize this...
Just wait until the shotgun is playable. Sprint N Slide will be the only way to play.

Am I the only one who thinks forge looks great, clean looking textures which blend really well and are easy on the eye plus the lighting looks miles ahead, CURVED pieces too after 7 years.

jem0208

Only like that because they want to keep swappable textures secret.

_/\_

Actually I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that they have multiple palettes now...

Might have been the forge map reveals by IGN actually. The mini interview they had with Josh, one sec.

Edit: Yup:

What about the Forge tools? How can we expect them to improve over previous incarnations? “We have made a number of improvements to usability as well as providing multiple palettes, terrain sheets, and lighting set-ups for Forgers to build with,” he answered.
http://uk.ign.com/articles/2015/01/05/halo-5-guardians-pegasus-and-orion-maps-revealed-ign-first

It's far too difficult to see blue people on Eden, that seriously needs fixing.

tootsi666

I miss killing a Sword user by backpedaling and shooting while he slowly realizes he's not getting the kill.

MouldyK

So when is 343i going to make the Breakout and SWAT playlists require a headset so people can actually play as a team and not just lone-wolf the games?

I remember when Rainbox 6: Vegas had people kick you if you didn't have a mix for Terrorist Hunt. Best console teams I have played in.

So when is 343i going to make the Breakout and SWAT playlists require a headset so people can actually play as a team and not just lone-wolf the games?

I remember when Rainbox 6: Vegas had people kick you if you didn't have a mix for Terrorist Hunt. Best console teams I have played in.
Breakout requires a headshot?

Also, never.

MouldyK

Breakout requires a headshot?

Also, never.

Sick of going in Breakout and Swat matches where the team don't stick together and die and then they can't tell me where the enemy is because they don't have a microphone.

Where's the teamplay and co-operation nowadays?

Madness

Almost certain that won't happen. Chat and communication how we remembered it is pretty much done. No one wants to use a headset anymore and if they do, they're in party chat etc. I'll be lucky if I get one match out of ten where someone might want to communicate, and yet headsets came with every console.

I miss how it was during Halo 2, Gears of War, Halo 3 etc.

Computer

Halo 5 is the slowest camp friendly Halo I have ever player. Most matches don't even reach the score limit. Proving sprint and thrust do not speed up game play.They slow it down. 343 will ignore this I am sure. No sacrifice is to big for sprint.

Sick of going in Breakout and Swat matches where the team don't stick together and die and then they can't tell me where the enemy is because they don't have a microphone.

Where's the teamplay and co-operation nowadays?
Solution is to play in parties with people.

jem0208

Halo 5 is the slowest camp friendly Halo I have ever player. Most matches don't even reach the score limit. Proving sprint and thrust do not speed up game play.They slow it down.

I blame BR starts.

Before encounters were a lot more close quarters and fights actually get finished. Now all the fights happen at mid range and everyone thrusts into cover as soon as they start losing shields.

It's turned into a game of standoffs.

Computer

I blame BR starts.

Before encounters were a lot more close quarters and fights actually get finished. Now all the fights happen at mid range and everyone thrusts into cover as soon as they start losing shields.

It's turned into a game of standoffs.
You can blame any weapon you want but this has never been a issue in any Halo until sprint and thrust was introduced. They want sprint in the game so bad they are willing to change everything to make it half ass work. Sprint will never work with long TTK. I should not say that because 343 might make a Halo with fast TTK just so they can justify sprint. Or set longer time limits so that no matter how much cat and mouse is going on we can reach the score limit. Drop sprint and the game will play much better. I want to blame thrust for the cat and mouse situations just as much but I feel it can be adjusted.

jem0208

You can blame any weapon you want but this has never been a issue in any Halo until sprint and thrust was introduced. They want sprint in the game so bad they are willing to change everything to make it half ass work. Sprint will never work with long TTK. I should not say that because they might make a Halo with fast TTK just so they can justify sprint.

I disagree, the game was fast paced and frantic in the first week.

Welfare

High ranked gameplay was terrible the first week without BR starts. The AR only compliments the shit Sprint-AR-Melee-die mentality a lot of players want to do. Blame sprint and bad map design, not BR starts.

tootsi666

Ummm, no. Not at all. Matches were fast paced for maybe two days and then people learned that playing aggressively is stupid in Halo 5. Pace of the game with AR starts is very similar to BR starts.

Madness

That's more to do with learning the game, the maps, the weapons. After that it considerably slows, just like in all Halo games. People no longer rush places, using ADS and AR and camping while watching motion tracker allows them to quickly get kills. BR and ranged weapons at least allow you to engage from further away. There is a balance though.

link1201

Ummm, no. Not at all. Matches were fast paced for maybe two days and then people learned that playing aggressively is stupid in Halo 5. Pace of the game with AR starts is very similar to BR starts.

I learned this early on during the beta and I must say it has made this one of the better Halo games so far to me. I am more deliberate on my movements and where my team is. It has been a blast. Now, if 343 just doesn't muck it up come release we may have something. lol

Fuchsdh

Am I the only one who thinks forge looks great, clean looking textures which blend really well and are easy on the eye plus the lighting looks miles ahead, CURVED pieces too after 7 years.

Yep. Looks great. Excited to see if we get any more new stuff on top of the H2A improvements in Halo 5.

belushy

Banned

Sounds good. Now they just need to make it so we can change the color of the entire piece instead of just a small band on the sides.

edit:

Actually read through that article and I completely missed this on the first read-through.

“We currently have no plans for a second multiplayer beta,” Holmes said

Obviously they wouldn't come out and say they would be planning a second one and of course the wording could still mean it is coming at some point.

jem0208

High ranked gameplay was terrible the first week without BR starts. The AR only compliments the shit Sprint-AR-Melee-die mentality a lot of players want to do. Blame sprint and bad map design, not BR starts.

That's more to do with learning the game, the maps, the weapons. After that it considerably slows, just like in all Halo games. People no longer rush places, using ADS and AR and camping while watching motion tracker allows them to quickly get kills. BR and ranged weapons at least allow you to engage from further away. There is a balance though.

I dunno, I thought movement was far more important before. Now it's all about keeping the enemy at mid range.

Sephzilla

Subjectively I think I like it more with AR starts now that the AR isn't worthless. Pistol could use a slight buff though

The old Terrorist Hunt days were amazing. I deeply miss them.

Tawpgun

Almost certain that won't happen. Chat and communication how we remembered it is pretty much done. No one wants to use a headset anymore and if they do, they're in party chat etc. I'll be lucky if I get one match out of ten where someone might want to communicate, and yet headsets came with every console.

Sad reality.

Some people even want voice chat to be completely opt in because muting people that annoy them is too much work.

Also, BR starts make the game so much more fun. I never feel frustrated when dying now.

Sephzilla

I miss the Halo 2 days where people actually tried to be teammates. Even though Halo was totally a phenomenon when Halo 2 launched it still felt like the community was more close knit and actually gave a shit about having good games. When party chat became a thing Halo 3 became a barren wasteland of silence (dust and echoes one might say)

Madness

Yeah, I was in Gold 3 but I had to quit a few games which seriously knocks you down.

Even with BR starts, I'm seeing so many campers on Regret, just sitting at top with AR or SMG scoped. Maybe because I'm in the lower tiers. With BR's, I'm at least able to out shoot or outfight the other team. AR starts are just bad. No skill required, and against capable teams who can teamshoot with pistol or BR, you have little hope of making comebacks. That's just my thoughts though.

On a related note, Breakout is just too slow paced to ever be a major playlist for me. And by slow, I don't necessarily mean the one life, but the jump into battle splash screen, having to watch your random teammates fumble around for the last kills. Had a match where both final players just were camping, waiting for the other to come. Once it's over, back to the scoreboard and then jump back in etc.

Madness

Sad reality.

Some people even want voice chat to be completely opt in because muting people that annoy them is too much work.

Also, BR starts make the game so much more fun. I never feel frustrated when dying now.

Lol, opt-in voice chat for Halo? That would effectively just kill off whatever remains of chatting. Look how poor Destiny is because of it. Takes less than a second to mute anyone who is annoying you.

I miss the Halo 2 days where people actually tried to be teammates. Even though Halo was totally a phenomenon when Halo 2 launched it still felt like the community was more close knit and actually gave a shit about having good games. When party chat became a thing Halo 3 became a barren wasteland of silence (dust and echoes one might say)

Yeah, there was just this camaraderie and passion for the game during Halo 2 times and even early in Halo 3 it was still good. It's no coincidence that the loss of communication was also around the time the amount of griefing and betraying increased as well. People always did it, but it was out-of control by Reach, and early in H4, so much so that friendly fire has had to go away as well. It's like no one really cares now. Jump in, play like shit, don't talk to anyone and then leave or quit.

Tawpgun

Even with BR starts, I'm seeing so many campers on Regret, just sitting at top with AR or SMG scoped. Maybe because I'm in the lower tiers. With BR's, I'm at least able to out shoot or outfight the other team. AR starts are just bad. No skill required, and against capable teams who can teamshoot with pistol or BR, you have little hope of making comebacks. That's just my thoughts though.

On a related note, Breakout is just too slow paced to ever be a major playlist for me. And by slow, I don't necessarily mean the one life, but the jump into battle splash screen, having to watch your random teammates fumble around for the last kills. Had a match where both final players just were camping, waiting for the other to come. Once it's over, back to the scoreboard and then jump back in etc.

The spawn jump in area from breakout needs to move in towards the end. I've seen a lot of people chill back there with a BR.

At some seconds left in a 1 v 1 players need waypoints over their heads imo.

Top Bottom