• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

link1201

I just got an email about being in the beta. I was somewhat excited because I thought it may be from the feedback thing but it was just some digital poster thing. :/

Impala26

The spawn jump in area from breakout needs to move in towards the end. I've seen a lot of people chill back there with a BR.

At some seconds left in a 1 v 1 players need waypoints over their heads imo.

Thirty seconds left sounds about right to me.

Also, I'd love to see a Breakout CTF mode where it's the same TTK, but unlimited lives with a 20-30 second respawn timer (via man cannon catapult). Only thing I'm unsure about is whether scores should reset round and how many scores to win

MaGlock

Normally a supporter of the rankings but 4 games in a row with people who haven't even played the game yet. Why would there first match be thrown into onyx competition? Frustrating as hell even if they are solid players they get wrecked because they don't know the mechanics. Getting team shot and flanked because 2 people are trying to learn the controls are not fun

Ramirez

The sword is so useless in this game, can't believe some of you are calling it OP, lol. The blue base on Eden needs a RL or something, the sword is not the sniper's equivalent in power in this game, I'll tell ya that. No one even bothers going for it at the beginning of a match, it's alway a fight for the sniper, and the sword rarely ever plays a factor at all on the map, it's too big for one, not much CQB going on, on Eden.

dwells

The sword is so useless in this game, can't believe some of you are calling it OP, lol. The blue base on Eden needs a RL or something, the sword is not the sniper's equivalent in power in this game, I'll tell ya that. No one even bothers going for it at the beginning of a match, it's alway a fight for the sniper, and the sword rarely ever plays a factor at all on the map, it's too big for one, not much CQB going on, on Eden.
It's definitely not useless, it's at least as good as a shotgun. You just have to use your thrusters to thrust forward as your "lunge." Certainly a good secondary to have.

With the way shorter TTKs of H5, it doesn't have as big of an impact and you can't really rely on it for multi-kills in a crowded room like you could before, though. I'd say it's still a power weapon, but it's now more in the realm of "annoyance" than the former of "omg must control sword now plz."

Impala26

Agreed. I'd argue that it would be a bigger factor on Empire instead with its tight corridors and plentiful cover which simultaneously makes it more difficult to snipe.

Blueblur1

Is it me or does have Sword have to many frames of animation before it resets for the next swing? I feel like it's really slow and has made multi kills difficult now.

Ramirez

It's definitely not useless, it's at least as good as a shotgun. You just have to use your thrusters to thrust forward as your "lunge." Certainly a good secondary to have.

With the way shorter TTKs of H5, it doesn't have as big of an impact and you can't really rely on it for multi-kills in a crowded room like you could before, though. I'd say it's still a power weapon, but it's now more in the realm of "annoyance" than the former of "omg must control sword now plz."

It is useless as a power weapon. A power weapon is something you should fear, I fear the sniper. I don't fear the sword or Hydra, they're weak as shit if you're playing with teams.

The red base is without a doubt the power spot on Eden, and I think putting something else other than the sword in blue would alleviate that some what. Most fights on the map take place on the red side, and if you spawn blue, you basically want to get back to top catwalk/red as fast as possible.

Yea, I think the sword on Empire would definitely be better than on Eden. I'd like to see the snipers gone on Empire, as it doesn't have many sniper sight lines, and then people just turtle with the snipers in each respective spawn area, waiting for someone's head to pass by a crack.

Tawpgun

Thirty seconds left sounds about right to me.

Also, I'd love to see a Breakout CTF mode where it's the same TTK, but unlimited lives with a 20-30 second respawn timer (via man cannon catapult). Only thing I'm unsure about is whether scores should reset round and how many scores to win

That sounds interesting actually. If you die that's a huge hole for your team but if they can hold it together you will be back.

I do think Breakout needs some kind of central objective. Whether its an actual objective or a power up/power weapon in the center.

I was thinking of creating a custom breakout variant where everyone spawns with no weapons at all, no grenades, but in the middle of the map there are a bunch of weapons and nades. Dodgeball meets Halo.

What about that time we got wrecked by the sword dude. Were you in that game?

I think the sniper is the go to weapon, but the sword has its moments. It's nice to have it in the back pocket.

Madness

Prophets Bane can be a bit overpowered. That's just because of its speed boost it gives you, the ridiculous lunge. I think it's one of the top weapons, maybe 2nd for kills. One match, I almost got a running riot with it. Though you're in pro territory, so those shenanigans wouldn't cut it.

I agree, in Halo 5, range is king, and I think shotgun, sword, weapons like grav hammers are almost too much risk versus reward, especially since ADS AR can shred any guy with it in seconds.

Ramirez

What about that time we got wrecked by the sword dude. Were you in that game?

I think the sniper is the go to weapon, but the sword has its moments. It's nice to have it in the back pocket.

Nah, wasn't me. Probably Biggy & TCKaos. /Kappa

TTUVAPOR

Banned
After the beta, I wonder if 343 is going to release a full spec sheet on their stats and data they gathered from the beta.

I'd love to know what changes they're going to make for the full release of the game. In otherwords, let me down now instead of waiting till November.

link1201

You can replace the name with whatever you want.

http://pages.engage.xbox.com/Halo5BetaThanks/?g=sprint%20and%20ads

Just delete everything after ?g=
I am not special :(

After the beta, I wonder if 343 is going to release a full spec sheet on their stats and data they gathered from the beta.

I'd love to know what changes they're going to make for the full release of the game. In otherwords, let me down now instead of waiting till November.

I would love a look under the hood. I would also love to see how well the ranking system did.

antigoon

I'm having some trouble with orientation when I spawn on Eden. Sometimes takes me a couple of seconds to figure out exactly where I am.

Impala26

I'm having some trouble with orientation when I spawn on Eden. Sometimes takes me a couple of seconds to figure out exactly where I am.

Yeah same here. Geometry/lighting of central base and blue base are really similar and I often confuse where I'm starting out. Did not have this problem on Empire.

Ramirez

The map needs to lose the night time setting, make it sunset or something. I'd like to see some weather, but I'm not convinced they could pull it off correctly considering how poor the visual clarity is in the beta.

Impala26

The map needs to lose the night time setting, make it sunset or something. I'd like to see some weather, but I'm not convinced they could pull it off correctly considering how poor the visual clarity is in the beta.

Kudos Ram for sharing the interactive map elements on Eden. I've gotten at almost half a dozen kills exposing players hiding behind the big box on the outside landing. And as for the two piston/power generator things, even if you're not using them for mobility, I've found if you're stuck on the bottom of the map and you cross shoot the other one, you tend to draw players attention to that side with the bright light and explosion.
:-D

Do any of the other three maps in Slayer have anything like these?

Halo 5 is the slowest camp friendly Halo I have ever player. Most matches don't even reach the score limit. Proving sprint and thrust do not speed up game play.They slow it down. 343 will ignore this I am sure. No sacrifice is to big for sprint.
I blame BR starts.

Before encounters were a lot more close quarters and fights actually get finished. Now all the fights happen at mid range and everyone thrusts into cover as soon as they start losing shields.

It's turned into a game of standoffs.
You can blame any weapon you want but this has never been a issue in any Halo until sprint and thrust was introduced. They want sprint in the game so bad they are willing to change everything to make it half ass work. Sprint will never work with long TTK. I should not say that because 343 might make a Halo with fast TTK just so they can justify sprint. Or set longer time limits so that no matter how much cat and mouse is going on we can reach the score limit. Drop sprint and the game will play much better. I want to blame thrust for the cat and mouse situations just as much but I feel it can be adjusted.
Stalemates have existed in every Halo game, but the issue of not reaching the score limit before the time runs out has been a problem since Halo 2. I've posted several times during the HCS tournaments how Lockdown TS devolves into terribly slow matches of people camping, so imagine if motion tracker was thrown into the mix to exacerbate the problem? There's never motion tracker in competitive Halo where money's on the line, so what's to blame there is the BR and the long kill times, but in the case of Halo 5 motion tracker is the true offender because kill times are faster and the mobility options have increased.

Without motion tracker, chasing isn't as problematic, you don't have to worry that your every move is displayed to the enemy and--
Normally a supporter of the rankings but 4 games in a row with people who haven't even played the game yet. Why would there first match be thrown into onyx competition? Frustrating as hell even if they are solid players they get wrecked because they don't know the mechanics. Getting team shot and flanked because 2 people are trying to learn the controls are not fun
--so that when this happens, you can be more effective as an individual unit and possibly carry your team through rough situations.

Motion tracker being removed and/or radar changed to sound-based + a powerful Magnum could do wonders for this game. And before anyone calls me a broken re-re-re-record, take a long look in the mirror first and ask yourself if you don't already read the same things over and over daily from everybody else
<3

Oh, and the Sword is such a non-issue.. c'mon guys pliss, if you're getting sliced up so often despite having motion tracker, thrusters, sprint of your own, weapons that kill fast and have good range, etc., then maybe you need to re-evaluate your map movement and combat awareness. Are you looking at what your teammates are doing by taking quick glances throughout the match? Are you actively thinking about what moves you should make based on where the action is and what weapons/Power-ups are in play? Halo isn't a game that's just about chasing red dots and tallying up kills, you have to think about what's going on in a match.
Obligatory badass Reach elite reveal
HaloReachElite2.png

EDIT:
IIRC Frank commented on the visual clarity being an issue in the Beta for many people, so I'm sure we'll see improvements there.

Man, I remember that trailer, so good. I hope Reach SP makes it to the MCC after ODST.

Unrelated note: I had no idea you could skip practically the entirety of Assault on the Control Room. It's glorious.

Man, I remember that trailer, so good. I hope Reach SP makes it to the MCC after ODST.

Unrelated note: I had no idea you could skip practically the entirety of Assault on the Control Room. It's glorious.

I want the MP too, Invasion <3 (Despite Reach MP being my least favorite of the bunch overall)

MouldyK

Lol, opt-in voice chat for Halo? That would effectively just kill off whatever remains of chatting. Look how poor Destiny is because of it. Takes less than a second to mute anyone who is annoying you.

Yeah, there was just this camaraderie and passion for the game during Halo 2 times and even early in Halo 3 it was still good. It's no coincidence that the loss of communication was also around the time the amount of griefing and betraying increased as well. People always did it, but it was out-of control by Reach, and early in H4, so much so that friendly fire has had to go away as well. It's like no one really cares now. Jump in, play like shit, don't talk to anyone and then leave or quit.

Opt-In Voice Chat would kill it for me. More than Sprint and Thrust because I will solidify the fact that Halo is getting less about teams and more about being a one-man army like Call of Rambo.

Another way around it is for Ranked Playlists, have Party Chat disabled. Wanna play competitively with your friends? F'ing work with the other 1-2 people on your team as well!

You see The Sprint episodes? The Pro Team don't sit in silence, they communicate, they know what to do and where to go to help the team. Why display Callouts if only pros are gonna use them anyway? Casual Players wont learn them as they ain't talking to the rest of the team.

A nice example: Got matched on Halo 2 Anni against 2 people who each had a guest with them...my team lost because they moved in 2 and co-ordinated while any attempt for me to do that on my team was met with everyone running in different directions.

Spartan Calls are probably useless chatter as people wont listen to them either cuz god-forbid someone/something talks during the match to help you.

Good thing Firefight ain't coming back and with matchmaking as it with just be 4 people not having eachothers back...

GrizzNKev

Banned
There are people out there who talk and use the callouts, but they're rare. I did get a few randoms who knew how to communicate, but bringing a party is always the best option. Winning was much more consistent just having one good player in my party.

• An Invasion mode with PvP Spartans vs Covenant where people control the different species.
  • A Flood mode with different Flood forms to use.
Could be amazing.

antigoon

I don't think the voice chat issue is ever going to be solved on consoles. I can't imagine a world where a game disables party chat for teamwork purposes. Not even sure if Microsoft would certify a game that did such a thing.

My proposal for a compromise to discourage using XBL party chat:

When you group up with people via the in-game party system, you are automatically added to an open-mic voice channel with them. When the game starts, you'll also receive audio (maybe at a slightly lower volume) from non-partied players. You can communicate in the regular game chat channel via a d-pad press.

Akai__

Wait until you see "Keyes". World Record is something like 1:47 minutes on Legendary.

Ramirez

Kudos Ram for sharing the interactive map elements on Eden. I've gotten at almost half a dozen kills exposing players hiding behind the big box on the outside landing. And as for the two piston/power generator things, even if you're not using them for mobility, I've found if you're stuck on the bottom of the map and you cross shoot the other one, you tend to draw players attention to that side with the bright light and explosion.
:-D

Do any of the other three maps in Slayer have anything like these?

I think someone mentioned on Truth that there are lights in the towers if people are in them, but other than that, I don't know of any.

I don't think the voice chat issue is ever going to be solved on consoles. I can't imagine a world where a game disables party chat for teamwork purposes. Not even sure if Microsoft would certify a game that did such a thing.

My proposal for a compromise to discourage using XBL party chat:

When you group up with people via the in-game party system, you are automatically added to an open-mic voice channel with them. When the game starts, you'll also receive audio (maybe at a slightly lower volume) from non-partied players. You can communicate in the regular game chat channel via a d-pad press.

Call of duty has done this. Can't enter certain playlists while in party chat.

Wait until you see "Keyes". World Record is something like 1:47 minutes on Legendary.

Goddamn. I just finished 343 Guilty Spark pretty quickly, even managed to keep all my health points. :lol

Now on to the Library. I hope there's some good tricks for this one. :lol

Ramirez

I have clips from the following players:

Myself, obviously.
II Meanbean II
Munish Thiara
Ozzy Onya A2Z
Rev3rb
SparerRanger149
xGranadier
Vinnie13

I have grabbed clips when seeing them in HaloGAF threads from the following users... (if they're happy for me to use them?)

TJ Ram
Mixmasterchief

Keep 'em coming please guys. Gonna do my best to make it as fun (yet awesome!) as possible.

I meant to tell you earlier, of course I don't care. My audio is desynced in every clip I have, so I hope you have some phat Linkin Park beats playing over the clips. Which clips did you grab? I'll be happy to send more, heh. Loved the old GAF montages.

Begin Halo 5, screen went completely black after dying. I can move, shoot and throw grenades. But my screen is completely black with the goddamn death music playing.

Haruko

I meant to tell you earlier, of course I don't care. My audio is desynced in every clip I have, so I hope you have some phat Linkin Park beats playing over the clips. Which clips did you grab? I'll be happy to send more, heh. Loved the old GAF montages.

I think the desync is somewhat related to Snapping, at least in most cases. I noticed one of my Game DVR extended clips desyncs right when I snapped the app at the 3:05 mark: http://xboxclips.com/Thorn+Harvestar/36d78c05-e09f-47eb-9838-cd2c27587a4b (GTAV, not Halo)

I've only had 1 other video with desync'd audio and I think I had the party app snapped at the time.

Chitown B

Opt-In Voice Chat would kill it for me. More than Sprint and Thrust because I will solidify the fact that Halo is getting less about teams and more about being a one-man army like Call of Rambo.

Another way around it is for Ranked Playlists, have Party Chat disabled. Wanna play competitively with your friends? F'ing work with the other 1-2 people on your team as well!

I want Kinect audio to be disabled for H5. I'm so sick of hearing someone's living room and crying baby while I'm trying to play. At least if they have a headset plugged in I'm only hearing them and they took the effort to use a mic.

And there's no quick way to lobby mute, you have to open each person and surf down to "mute", then back out. 7 times.

Also, there is no "team and party" option.

Ramirez

I think the desync is somewhat related to Snapping, at least in most cases. I noticed one of my Game DVR extended clips desyncs right when I snapped the app at the 3:05 mark: http://xboxclips.com/Thorn+Harvestar/36d78c05-e09f-47eb-9838-cd2c27587a4b (GTAV, not Halo)

I've only had 1 other video with desync'd audio and I think I had the party app snapped at the time.

I always use the kinect to record, never have anything snapped. Steely thinks it has something to do with my internet.

Also, if I'm solo I just join a party by myself, lol. Spartan chatter is a very underrated feature.

Here's some from last night...

What the hell is a Gun Punch medal?
http://xboxclips.com/Ozzy+Onya+A2Z/b2e32f73-5b17-4ede-a6b2-d4a0e97c1888

Here's why the sword can be a royal asshole, right time, right place. I almost fudged it up completely.
http://xboxclips.com/Ozzy+Onya+A2Z/5233c3e7-5b0b-4d6c-91f1-f6ac6d8db7ea

Hat-trick triple.
http://xboxclips.com/Ozzy+Onya+A2Z/5758642b-5444-4771-9ceb-1a9fb023399f

Snipe kill then hat-trick with perfect BR and snipe headshot to finish.
http://xboxclips.com/Ozzy+Onya+A2Z/073c09c0-8478-487e-a061-de9e265b395e

Solo flank on enemies, double then an assist.
http://xboxclips.com/Ozzy+Onya+A2Z/ff007fdf-dba5-4d0f-aa0b-127dfcd7df92

Also saw some discussion on ranking, I agree things need to be altered for quitting but also being on the losing side in 1st or 2nd place for the losing team. Check the last part of this clip out, my team was new to the game or just terrible but I stuck it out and went 19k 13d, I still ranked decreased. I don't feel that's right given the effort/stats. If you're playing solo and you lose but finish top place it should be very minor, especially with a team carry like that.
http://xboxclips.com/Ozzy+Onya+A2Z/3d884d34-21e9-44cc-8aba-b3f1db0857c6

Top Bottom