• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

Deception

I don't think the voice chat issue is ever going to be solved on consoles. I can't imagine a world where a game disables party chat for teamwork purposes. Not even sure if Microsoft would certify a game that did such a thing.

My proposal for a compromise to discourage using XBL party chat:

When you group up with people via the in-game party system, you are automatically added to an open-mic voice channel with them. When the game starts, you'll also receive audio (maybe at a slightly lower volume) from non-partied players. You can communicate in the regular game chat channel via a d-pad press.

Iirc Gears of War used to make switch to game chat to play ranked games.

Sweet, I made the Wall of Shame AND Grenadier's title got picked. Life is good.

So, which map is currently winning the vote? Haven't bothered to check yet.

Ramirez

Not a single one of those guys thrusted away from your sword, and the SMG guy charged forward towards you, lol.

Not a single one of those guys thrusted away from your sword, and the SMG guy charged forward towards you, lol.

Yep not the greatest evading enemies ever but it still shows the sword is useful if you position yourself right and move well.

You can't play solo in Team slayer then complain for losing the game and in turn lose rank.

It's a team game fellas. Win with your team or lose rank.

Simple really.

For some playlists I can agree with that, not all team playlists though. It just doesn't represent how players search. I don't have time or a pool of friends so large I can party up with a full team every game. I'd hazard a guess the stats would support 1 or 2 players searching being more popular than 3 or 4 partied up. My point is it's another layer to keeping players in the game and not having them quit when they do well, even on a losing side.

That's hilarious.

RowdyReverb

I'd like to see a version of Breakout with a "jail" of sorts that would allow a player to respawn his teammates. The switch would need to be at the back of the opposite base with no cover and a 2 second activating time

I just got an email about being in the beta. I was somewhat excited because I thought it may be from the feedback thing but it was just some digital poster thing. :/

The way the sign up page words it, it sounds like we can expect an email once or twice a month post-beta.

Ozzy I understand your point, I play solo mostly too. But team slayer needs that clear cut philosophy of-

Winners get points.
Losers don't.

That system is fine for Slayer. But let's be real. No matter what way they do the ranking system there are gonna be whiners complaining of rank lock and they can't rank up.

The reality is you can't get the high ranks because you're not good enough. Everyone is too used to getting points for scratching their balls in modern shooters.

The way to be good at Team slayer is to have a good team that works well together.

Deception

I'd like to see a version of Breakout with a "jail" of sorts that would allow a player to respawn his teammates. The switch would need to be at the back of the opposite base with no cover and a 2 second activating time
Something similar to search and rescue from cod would be cool. Basically once you die you drop a dog tag and two things can happen 1) Enemy team picks up dog tag so you can't respawn or 2) Teammate picks up dog tag and you respawn in the same position. There is also a timer of how long the dog tag can be picked up before it disappears.

Impala26

Ozzy I understand your point, I play solo mostly too. But team slayer needs that clear cut philosophy of-

Winners get points.
Losers don't.

That system is fine for Slayer. But let's be real. No matter what way they do the ranking system there are gonna be whiners complaining of rank lock and they can't rank up.

The reality is you can't get the high ranks because you're not good enough. Everyone is too used to getting points for scratching their balls in modern shooters.

The way to be good at Team slayer is to have a good team that works well together.

I know we butt heads occasionally, but this is one of the most pure honest analyses I've seen about a ranking system in FPS games. It would've been the case in Halo 2 if not for the hacking/standby-ing etc. I was happy with my 35 in TS. I knew I was better than most, but that they're were still plenty of folks better than me, that's an honest assessment of how things were.

RowdyReverb

I know we butt heads occasionally, but this is one of the most pure honest analyses I've seen about a ranking system in FPS games. It would've been the case in Halo 2 if not for the hacking/standby-ing etc. I was happy with my 35 in TS. I knew I was better than most, but that they're were still plenty of folks better than me, that's an honest assessment of how things were.
Some people just have trouble accepting the game's assessment of how they play, but the way I've begun to look at it is if this is where the game ranked me, then I'm more likely to play fun matches against equally ranked people. If I'm truly inaccurately ranked, or if I get better at the game, then I should move to where I belong after playing enough matches.
One of the things that was frustrating in H3 was that ranks sometimes slowed or ceased moving in response to wins/losses (something about "sigma", can't remember), which 343 seems intent to avoid as shown by their H2A and H5 ranking systems.

Where can I find the latest updates on the MCC patches? If there isn't one place, why does 343 have a page where I can view all the info on upcoming patches all in one place?

Is file browser going to be added at some point? Will they remove AR starts from Halo 3? What is the ETA on ranks? Where can I see the population count? etc

Edit: Where can I view stats online? I thought 343 was finally moving in a better direction web wise with the new design for the site.

I am as old as a veteran as Halo players can get. Here are my Halo 2 stats maybe they show credibility or something, I dunno. I've played about 15 games of the beta (all slayer). I need to play more.
https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/games/halo-2/xbox/service-records/players/poohblaster

I think the thrust ability is a good addition. It allows me to thrust around corners so I can recover from ambushes that I would never have a chance of surviving in previous games.

I like the grappling ability because it speeds up the game.

It's too hard to see blue players because of the color palette.

I'm undecided on sprint. I do like that your shields don't recharge while running.

I'm concerened about reports of slayer games not reaching 50 because of stalemates. I haven't experienced it. I think map design can fix this problem by removing sight lines.

Spartan chatter doesn't bother me. I don't think it adds a lot either.

I think Hat Trick and the 4 Shot Kill medals are cool.

Letting players know when power weapons are going to respawn is a good decision because it creates balance and focuses the battle around the weapon.

There are graphical problems with framerate drop. It's unfinished code so I'm not too concerned.

RowdyReverb

Where can I find the latest updates on the MCC patches? If there isn't one place, why does 343 have a page where I can view all the info on upcoming patches all in one place?

Is file browser going to be added at some point? Will they remove AR starts from Halo 3? What is the ETA on ranks? Where can I see the population count? etc

Edit: Where can I view stats online? I thought 343 was finally moving in a better direction web wise with the new design for the site.
https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/...on/e024f78f-6022-4a49-99ea-67562ec5b4ca/posts
I've had this page open in a tab for close to two months now. Refreshed daily for a while, but slowed since H5

Skullface

Dudes... I took about a week long break from the beta, just started back today, and I finally get Halo 5. I understand.

Akai__

We haven't heard anything about MCC patches, since the last one that also included Spartan Ops. We are asking like every day, but so far no response. 56 days and the game still doesn't work.

And there are no carnage stats for Halo MCC. All you can do, is checking for campaign stats and achievements on Waypoint.

Said it several times, but I miss the Halo 3 stat page. :(

Just thrustered over a sword user and got the perfect medal. Soooo good.

I like this game and the ways we can move. I'm sure 343 doesn't hear that enough.

tumblr_mjt97c5i791r2zj7qo1_400.gif

Out BR'd m8

Yep not the greatest evading enemies ever but it still shows the sword is useful if you position yourself right and move well.

Last I looked, going bottom mid on Eden when the entire enemy team is there isn't exactly a good position or moving well.

Dodgeball rules? That'd be interesting.

I prefer Lifeboat rules...

Last I looked, going bottom mid on Eden when the entire enemy team is there isn't exactly a good position or moving well.

Pulling a triple on a grouped and coordinated enemy team is now considered moving poorly with the sword? I'm not saying the enemies were the greatest players but I dropped exactly where I wanted from above, got the surprise element with the timing I wanted on 2 enemies before they knew what happened and used the pillar in between kills 1 & 2 then 2 & 3 to gain the triple. I suckered the third guy to move forward by going for cover but then doubling back at him.

I'm not saying I'm the best player around either, lighten up a little HaloGAF. Oh and for good measure this was another fine example of why I enjoy radar based play.

-Ryn

Banned
Forge map looks lovely. Can't wait to see the pallets and tools.

I'm not saying I'm the best player around either, lighten up a little HaloGAF. Oh and for good measure this was another fine example of why I enjoy radar based play.
Having those eyes in the back of your head does occasionally allow for some badass manuevers. I wonder if there's any way to find a sweet spot? Maybe make it so radar only detects people on the same level as you? Or if you have a person in your view long enough it "locks on" and they show up on your radar for a little bit (there wouldn't be any indication of their position if they were outside the radar though).

Pulling a triple on a grouped and coordinated enemy team is now considered moving poorly with the sword? I'm not saying the enemies were the greatest players but I dropped exactly where I wanted from above, got the surprise element with the timing I wanted on 2 enemies before they knew what happened and used the pillar in between kills 1 & 2 then 2 & 3 to gain the triple. I suckered the third guy to move forward by going for cover but then doubling back at him.

More like it's a good example of morons on the other team not using their radar.

My point was it was a triple you didn't earn because of some great play or outsmarting or whatever. You got it because these are the spartans that need the wheelchair. Calling them coordinated is laughable.

Rev3rb

MCC Bulletin Update:

As we had mentioned before the holidays, the team continues to work on upcoming Halo: The Master Chief Collection updates to improve the existing experience and add new content. We’ve continued this work through the holidays, and have multiple content updates in the works. Our next content update, which will address UI and a variety of other areas, is currently on track for delivery next week. We will provide additional info regarding the exact ETA and final details of the upcoming content update once the certification process is completed.

Additionally, this Thursday, we’ll be updating MCC to include new achievements for Spartan Ops, as well as some additional ones for multiplayer. These will become available this Thursday, 1/8.

Improving your experience with Halo: The Master Chief Collection remains our top priority, and we thank you for your continued feedback and reports on community forums and elsewhere as we prioritize updates for each CU. We will continue to provide the latest information via this thread.

how much you guys want to bet Halo 5 Guardians is going to have an "Earn a Killing Frenzy in a matchmade Breakout game" achievement

More like it's a good example of morons on the other team not using their radar.

My point was it was a triple you didn't earn because of some great play or outsmarting or whatever. You got it because these are the spartans that need the wheelchair. Calling them coordinated is laughable.

I really shouldn't take the bait here but I can't help myself. 3 enemies killed my teammate with team fire while I was on the upper walkway and dropping down into attack position. All 4 of the enemies were shooting at me the moment I hit the deck. I managed to use the pillars to my advantage and take 3 out.

Again as stated previously, neither I or the enemies are the best players in the world but saying they weren't moving as a group and coordinating their fire against multiple enemies (my teammate and then myself) while you spout name calling is just childish mate. Sure they and I aren't the top 1% of players but there was teamwork and skills of a decent standard. Things are easy to pick out retrospectively but when a sword guy drops in the middle of your 4 man fireteam and kills 2 dudes within a second impulse reactions take over.

Anyhow I enjoyed the movement at play here whether you agree or not. Sorry it wasn't 20K twitch streaming invite only tourney worthy for you to award me your "forum medal of meaninglessness". Go on say it...you can just say...nice kills mate. It won't kill you. It won't have me claiming to be the best sword player of all HaloGAF :)

I'm just waiting til I end up on the recieving end of one of these GAF clips.

Anyway, Double Perfect, Triple kill
Three kills one Trifecta. Yet again.

Breakout is my spirit mode.

The top one was sweet.

Chitown B

why would they remove AR starts from Halo 3? It always had them. AR was normal, or there was BR specific voting.

Ramirez

why would they remove AR starts from Halo 3? It always had them. AR was normal, or there was BR specific voting.

Because the AR in Halo 3 is fucking awful. Am I shooting a gun or is someone microwaving popcorn, I don't know.

I like the "shouldn't take the bait", then writes 3 paragraphs, heh. I wasn't calling your clip trash or anything, just saying it wasn't a good clip to try and prove the sword is a good power weapon. Either of those other two guys thrust away from you and you're fucked. Even the first guy could have thrusted away with that many teammates there and probably lived.

Winners get points.
Losers don't.

But shouldn't the matchmaking system accommodate you (and perhaps your party) to match you along with other good players of your caliber so that you could at least possibly team up? B'cuz it doesn't really try to instead you're stuck with a crappy player more often when searching rather than a rare occurrence. What we get is a system that sort of forces you to find good players outside of the game instead of partying up with and befriending them. Do you see the flaw of the system regarding this topic now??

Ramirez

But shouldn't the matchmaking system accommodate you (and perhaps your party) to match you along with other good players of your caliber so that you could at least possibly team up? B'cuz it doesn't really try to instead you're stuck with a crappy player more often when searching rather than a rare occurrence. What we get is a system that sort of forces you to find good players outside of the game instead of partying up with and befriending them. Do you see the flaw of the system regarding this topic now??

I've been playing a lot of solo the past couple days, and the games are still pretty damn even. The only thing that I find different is that it's easier in that I don't feel like I'm playing teams at all. Either that, or there's a huge drop off between Semi to Gold. I get a lot of Gold players when I go solo. I've had like one game out of ten that had a guy that didn't manage to get kills.

People on this forum update every single game they get with one or two negative people, probably not reporting the other half of their games where they have good teammates and probably drop their own neg bombs.

I haven't played this much competitive Halo since probably Halo 3 MLG, the matching is working, a few forum nerds crying foul is not the norm. It seems that way only because they feel the need to update the world every time it happens.

Top Bottom