• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

daedalius

Wtf do you guys hate about ricochet?

I thought it was actually a pretty well liked new mode. Apparently not on beyond! What a surprise...

I certainly would think it will be fun to actually watch. On warlock tho, hmmm. Not sure about that. Will have to see.

belushy

Banned
Still boggles my mind that they added Ricochet to H2A and not Extraction. Extraction was probably the only cool thing about competitive H4.

it's not n̶o̶ ̶i̶t̶e̶m̶s̶,̶ ̶f̶o̶x̶ ̶o̶n̶l̶y̶,̶ ̶f̶i̶n̶a̶l̶ ̶d̶e̶s̶t̶i̶n̶a̶t̶i̶o̶n̶ team brs on lockdown

jem0208

I thought it was actually a pretty well liked new mode. Apparently not on beyond! What a surprise...

I certainly would think it will be fun to actually watch. On warlock tho, hmmm. Not sure about that. Will have to see.

It's beyond, of course they hate it. They are seriously the most negative community I've ever seen.

MouldyK

So more popular maps have a greater chance at getting picked but its still random so anything could get picked.

Or you can pick Random, which I think just picks any of the 32 (or 40 with First DLC) Tracks, which is a nice compromise since you are going "I'd rather play Ricochet than BRs on Lockdown for the 100th time!".

But of course, there are tracks that are more popular to pick than others according to this chart someone made (done 3 months after launch mind you):

mk1.jpg

But the key difference is: It don't mean that just because Sunshine Airport gets picked more than Bone-Dry Dunes, that you will never play on that course. Unlike some Halo Maps which NEVER get picked and you'll never see online.

singhr1

All the players said no, they added it anyways.

It's going to be on Warlock, so no.

and more fun.

Its not like those throws are hard to guard, just have someone stand in front of the goal. The goal target is quite small so defense should be a little easier when there are going to be easy throws like that.

It's beyond, of course they hate it. They are seriously the most negative community I've ever seen.

And waypoint is even worse, there is a whole thread about "#RemoveHalo4" or some bullshit like that. Like c'mon now, that's just childish.

Ricochet is going to be in HCS? It's fun as an amateur thing/gametype, random players, sort of how we can enjoy Grifball, but these are pros with real money on the line. I don't think it will be fun to play, fun to watch at all, especially if it's the same 3 maps. Who knows. What do the pros say?

Uhm its like Uplink from CoDAW.

It is a exciting mode to watch IMO

Or you can pick Random, which I think just picks any of the 32 (or 40 with First DLC) Tracks, which is a nice compromise since you are going "I'd rather play Ricochet than BRs on Lockdown for the 100th time!".

But of course, there are tracks that are more popular to pick than others according to this chart someone made (done 3 months after launch mind you):

https://wjspaniel.files.wordpress.com/2014/08/mk1.jpg[IMG]

But the key difference is: It don't mean that just because Sunshine Airport gets picked more than Bone-Dry Dunes, that you will never play on that course. Unlike some Halo Maps which NEVER get picked and you'll never see online.[/QUOTE]
Cheep Cheep Beach is such a boring track. There's literally nothing exciting about it and it belongs at the bottom next to Dry Dry Desert.

Mount Wario, Moo Moo Meadows, Tick-Tock Clock, Toad Harbor and Mario Kart Stadium are probably my top five in no particular order.

Kssio_Aug

Finished Halo 3 yesterday... What an AMAZING campaing. My most favorite so far! Now I'll start Halo 4!

I had no issues with Cortana level, but thats probably because I co-oped the 3 last levels. Still, the Flood in Halo 3 was miles better then in Halo 2, and on the same level as the Flood in Halo CE.

Until now, for me, when it comes to campaing: Halo 3 > Halo CE > Halo 2A. Loved Halo 2A blur CGs, but the game itself wasnt as fun to play as the other two campaings.

Finished Halo 3 yesterday... What an AMAZING campaing. My most favorite so far! Now I'll start Halo 4!

I had no issues with Cortana level, but thats probably because I co-oped the 3 last levels. Still, the Flood in Halo 3 was miles better then in Halo 2, and on the same level as the Flood in Halo CE.

Until now, for me, when it comes to campaing: Halo 3 > Halo CE > Halo 2A. Loved Halo 2A blur CGs, but the game itself wasnt as fun to play as the other two campaings.

Halo 3's campaign is money money money. Especially when the Flood shows up. Ah, dem feels.

m23

Yeah, Halo 3 campaign is still the best Halo campaign for me. The moment those two scarabs drop one after another......the feels.

CyReN

Its not like those throws are hard to guard, just have someone stand in front of the goal. The goal target is quite small so defense should be a little easier when there are going to be easy throws like that..

You can't defend against some throws like that, a party game shouldn't be a factor when 25k on the line.

It couldn't be that the gametype is broken, or the new tournament gametype is added when in 1 week they play for $25,000, or that the feedback given hasn't be utilized. But, were just negative.

Uhm its like Uplink from CoDAW.

It is a exciting mode to watch IMO

Just because it's in 1 game, doesn't mean it will work for another. H2A way too slow compared to AW.

Better explanation by TheHyperPhoenix

Its bad because it doesn't fit in this game I'm gonna assume that you're open minded to reason and don't have your mind made up and none of this has any malice. The reason it works in COD is because of the kill times,imagine watching football where you had to hold someone for 4 seconds before they were counted down and you were given the tackle. Also halo is an arena shooter the maps aren't meant to be big and obstructed by long sharp corners which is what a game type like this would need. Also, the reason Uplink takes some skill in COD is because the throw distance isn't long you throw a sinker you start with a good arc and then the ball just drops also the goal is small it takes practice throwing to even get a point. In halo the goal is on the ground and so huge that literally if you throw it near the goal its gonna be a point. Think about if its 3v4 with the kill times in this game there's always gonna be an open player that's gonna take too long to kill. 343 seems to think that it works in cod and people like to see high scores so this will work. Nothing about this game and ricochet match up. You throw a mile away you take long to kill the ball carrier, the goal is the size of a hill, etc. (Just my opinions plz dnt take my lunch muneys)

Jesus, there's a lot of salt on that page. Feel like I need to go get a glass of water.

Are you a pro player? BTB is "fun" but that doesn't mean it's suited for everything?

TS on Lockdown is both shitty to play, and shitty to watch, but the community seems fixated on it anyway. I'm not sure that's got anything to do with anything :p

Ricochet is a fun game mode, and there are some genuine exciting moments, but playing it competitively on Warlock? Fuck that. Maybe, MAYBE Shrine, but even then it's a stretch.

Are you a pro player? BTB is "fun" but that doesn't mean it's suited for everything?

No im not. But the already so small competitive Halo scene should stop being to negative against everything. They should be happy that there is even something like HCS at this point.

And the most important part is viewership. I would rather watch Ricochet than another round TS Lockout.

The CoD Comp scene was negative against Uplink too, but that changed after it was played for a while.

Ricochet works on Shrine. I agree that it wont work on a map like Warlock, but arent there new forge maps coming?

jem0208

It couldn't be that the gametype is broken, or the new tournament gametype is added when in 1 week they play for $25,000, or that the feedback given hasn't be utilized. But, were just negative.

This is actually one of the few cases when I agree with the general opinion on Beyond, Ricochet probably shouldn't be in HCS (it's a bloody awesome game mode though).

However I was just speaking to the general attitude of the site: it sucks. The response to Ricochet being added is so overblown it's ridiculous. People are acting like the entirety on HCS Season 2 is completely ruined because of it.

No im not. But the already so small competitive Halo scene should stop being to negative against everything. They should be happy that there is even something like HCS at this point.

And the most important part is viewership. I would rather watch Ricochet than another round TS Lockout.

Also this.

Slayer is unbelievable boring to watch. The only time I've been excited by a slayer game was that 4 way tie break, and that only got interesting in the last minute or so of each game. The rest was just plodding and boring.

And waypoint is even worse, there is a whole thread about "#RemoveHalo4" or some bullshit like that. Like c'mon now, that's just childish.

Man I get so sick of jaded comments like that. If Halo 4 went away I know myself and the group I play with every night would go too. We will play the older games, and they're fine sure, but we prefer the newer faster paced games.

And it's funny seeing all these positive comments about extraction. Out of all the things we generally enjoy playing in H4 extraction is almost always voted against unless there is full teams, and even then we're not fond of it compared to slayer/oddball/ricochet. Randoms really ruin that mode for us.

CyReN

However I was just speaking to the general attitude of the site: it sucks. The response to Ricochet being added is so overblown it's ridiculous. People are acting like the entirety on HCS Season 2 is completely ruined because of it.

I think the timing is adding a lot more fuel to the fire, it would be bad if it was a month ago but now with the event a little over a week away. Along with that, we have Bravo on vacation, and Che saying we'll see how it goes" when 25K on the line is irking a lot of people, myself included. We have no idea where Tashi is. There is no real transparency with the HCS gametypes or decisions.

The whole thing could have been avoided if they actually gave the community a arena map instead of Relic. I like Relic and played Halo 2 casually for sometime but that isn't a Top 10 Halo 2 map. With the shrinking playerbase the game has, not sure why that was added.

Cmon.And like i said maybe people should try it for some weeks until complaining that it sucks.

People rather not gamble on a party gametype for $25k.

Welfare

343 gets it

They're listening

We'll see how it goes

"Competitive"

No one wanted to play Ricochet in the Halo game that played more like CoD, why would people want to play it in a slower paced game?

343 gets it

They're listening

We'll see how it goes

"Competitive"

No one wanted to play Ricochet in the Halo game that played more like CoD, why would people want to play it in a slower paced game?

I thought the general consensus was that Ricochet was just about the best thing to come out of H4.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
They should make a "1th" playlist that's filled with all of the garbage crap gamemodes that have been released.

Tawpgun

I'd really like to see some high level Ricochet gameplay I think it has potential. That being said Warlock is stupid and Cyren is right in that its too easy to score.

Ricochet on Shrine with smaller goals can work maybe. It really depends on the map. I love ricochet but I also doubt its competitive merits on default HCS maps. And Cyren is also right in that it was super shitty for them to spring this on the pros with a tourney coming up. It's one thing to say "hey test this out for us see if you like it" and another "Hey I know 25k is on the line but lets try this completley new thing"

Extraction was awesome though
Zenith is the pinnacle of Halo.

BigD.png

Kssio_Aug

Halo 3's campaign is money money money. Especially when the Flood shows up. Ah, dem feels.

The Flood on Halo CE was fun imo (not better then Elites, but still fun). In Halo 2 they were garbage! But in Halo 3 they were as fun as in Halo CE and more varied! =D Only those that transforms in something like a sub-machine gun that were quite annoying.

Yeah, Halo 3 campaign is still the best Halo campaign for me. The moment those two scarabs drop one after another......the feels.

And yeah... The scarabs!! Pretty damn good fights!

Now, I'll start Halo 4! Hopefully I'll enjoy it too... Halo 5 hype is burning alive now!

The Flood on Halo CE was fun imo (not better then Elites, but still fun). In Halo 2 they were garbage imo! But in Halo 3 they were as fun as in Halo CE and with more varied! =D Only those that transforms in something like a sub-machine gun that were quite annoying.

The "Needler" forms are hard as @$#!! to take down on Legendary. So ridiculous. But so rewarding when they drop from their perch and kersplat on the floor.

King Leo

Neo Member
Ricochet has potential to be competitive. Same with Grifball. But that isn't the kind of Halo pros wanna play. There's money on the line. The idea of losing a series to a game of Halo basketball is just silly.

singhr1

Ricochet has potential to be competitive. Same with Grifball. But that isn't the kind of Halo pros wanna play. There's money on the line. The idea of losing a series to a game of Halo basketball is just silly.

You could say the same thing for oddball or king of the hill. Losing a series to a game of Halo keep-away or KOTH is just silly. All of them have strategy and different skills. Just like extraction or team regicide.

Top Bottom