• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

CliQ

Rocket Race is incredibly fun and exciting to play for me, doesn't mean I want it in competitive settings.

Cyren Ithat makes sense but on the other hand I really don't like watching competitive Halo. In my opinion, Halo is meant to be played 8v8 and I think if teams expanded and we had competitive 8v8 matches to watch you would see a much larger following. Again it's my opinion but Halo without vehicles is like peanutbutter jelly sandwich withouth the jelly. It's good an ill eat it but it's missing the jelly.

Impala26

Cyren Ithat makes sense but on the other hand I really don't like watching competitive Halo. In my opinion, Halo is meant to be played 8v8 and I think if teams expanded and we had competitive 8v8 matches to watch you would see a much larger following. Again it's my opinion but Halo without vehicles is like peanutbutter jelly sandwich withouth the jelly. It's good an ill eat it but it's missing the jelly.

CliQ keeping it real...
<3

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future

So what you're saying is that 4v4 competitive Halo is like a sticky ass mouth and not being able to swallow.

Karl2177

Does that BTB league still exist? I know that was a thing back in the Reach days.

jem0208

I'd be interested to see 8v8 competitive Halo.

I think the coaches would have to take a much greater role and act as a coordinator or commander for the entire team. Communication between 8 different players would be impossible. You'd have to split each team in to squads and then have the coach/commander direct each squad and relay information between them. I think it would be very interesting.

You don't like peanut butter sandwiches? Your mistake was expecting the jelly.

That's like going into Halo 2 expecting a better game and hoping with the next games they learned from their mistakes of not listening to the community. Scratch that, it's like going into Halo 5 expecting a better game and hoping they learned from their mistakes of not listening to the community.

Experience tells me to never expect the jelly in a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

R-E-C-Y-C-L-E RECYCLEEE

Mistel

Banned
BigTeamBattle.net

Not sure how active it is now, remember when the Pros played their players and it was pretty hilarious.
It's been through the death throes since last year towards the end of the spring, there's still some people there but it's pretty much a ghost town.

RowdyReverb

I would be curious to see what high level Ricochet gameplay would look like, but I think they could make it a just-for-fun competition like H3 used to have to get recon.

A better idea may be to make a Ricochet playlist and the first team to get 200 wins gets some unique armor in H5 or something.

I... I missed this...!?!

Damn, when's the next one?

*pauses*

Oh... right...
:-/

If you lived in England, I suppose the next one would be August 4th, cause of how they write their dates.

4 8 15 16 23 42

I don't see why Ricochet needs to be in this season's HCS. Maybe if there are custom maps tailored for it, but vanilla maps cannot handle it. Shrine kinda works but you'd have to shrink the goals by half.

Kssio_Aug

Ok, I started Halo 4 now, and actually, I'm quite disappointed already. Graphically it looks stunning, but what the hell they did to your ammo? If I get a covenant pistol I can kill 2, maybe 3 enemies if that much before it runs out of ammo. Also it seems you can take much less damage and the elites just move way too much while recharges the shields wasting this little ammo of mine in a second. I'm still early in the game and am repeating the same section over and over trying to take down a group of covenants without success, on normal difficulty.

I hope that on Halo 5 campaing they bring back the ammo. Cause that's directly connect to the fun in the previous games, since I could shoot everyone and keep changing weapons with no worries.

Sephzilla

Fact 1: Zenith sucks
Fact 2: Assembly is ok
Fact 3: Tiebreakers aren't in MCC

vKclusr.png

#HUNTtheCONTENTUPDATE

People who vote for any form of Ascension should be banned from Halo for life.

CyReN

It's been through the death throes since last year towards the end of the spring, there's still some people there but it's pretty much a ghost town.

Yea, it sucks. A lot of Halo communities have seem to have closed or winded down in recent years. It's like the Halo games could be effecting the community and staying power. I could just be connecting the dots, who knows.

Black Ops 3 hype.

SaganIsGOAT

Yea, it sucks. A lot of Halo communities have seem to have closed or winded down in recent years. It's like the Halo games could be effecting the community and staying power. I could just be connecting the dots, who knows.

Black Ops 3 hype.

Halo is just dying, fans should accept that.

Fuchsdh

This is actually one of the few cases when I agree with the general opinion on Beyond, Ricochet probably shouldn't be in HCS (it's a bloody awesome game mode though).

However I was just speaking to the general attitude of the site: it sucks. The response to Ricochet being added is so overblown it's ridiculous. People are acting like the entirety on HCS Season 2 is completely ruined because of it.

Also this.

Slayer is unbelievable boring to watch. The only time I've been excited by a slayer game was that 4 way tie break, and that only got interesting in the last minute or so of each game. The rest was just plodding and boring.

I think objective games are more fun to watch because there's more gambling and big plays. The smart way to play Slayer is generally much more conservative and safe in comparison to running out for mad dashes to the objective. They reward different play styles.

Everyone picks a track, the system then picks one track randomly from everyone's choice, it is not based on votes.

That really wouldn't work well for MCC, though. Maybe for a mainline Halo game where you only have 10-30 maps at the most (and for objective of mini games, significantly less.)

Also, to bridge the difference between pure randomness, you could weight the percentages in favor of the most-selected maps.

Ok, I started Halo 4 now, and actually, I'm quite disappointed already. Graphically it looks stunning, but what the hell they did to your ammo? If I get a covenant pistol I can kill 2, maybe 3 enemies if that much before it runs out of ammo. Also it seems you can take much less damage and the elites just move way too much while recharges the shields wasting this little ammo of mine in a second. I'm still early in the game and am repeating the same section over and over trying to take down a group of covenants without success, on normal difficulty.

I hope that on Halo 5 campaing they bring back the ammo. Cause that's directly connect to the fun in the previous games, since I could shoot everyone and keep changing weapons with no worries.
A wife is signing divorce papers somewhere.

RowdyReverb

I think the mentality was to encourage
read: force
the player to use a variety of different weapons. I didn't really like it either because precision weapons are just more fun to me and it doesn't feel good to use less effective weapons, but it did make me use guns I'd have never really played with otherwise. I would have probably just run through the entire game with the noob combo if the game offered plentiful ammunition.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I'm playing some BTB if anyone wants to join.

Not that yall even play Halo anymore, but...

Fuchsdh

the player to use a variety of different weapons. I didn't really like it either because precision weapons are just more fun to me and it doesn't feel good to use less effective weapons, but it did make me use guns I'd have never really played with otherwise. I would have probably just run through the entire game with the noob combo if the game offered plentiful ammunition.

I think it was more that they were balancing both campaign and multiplayer together. Having a plasma pistol—especially when you spawn with it—that could take a dozen charged shots or that didn't overheat and burn off charge if you just kept it held down would be problematic.

If you can't spawn with plasma pistols in H5, I expect we'd see it get buffed a bit.

jem0208

I think objective games are more fun to watch because there's more gambling and big plays. The smart way to play Slayer is generally much more conservative and safe in comparison to running out for mad dashes to the objective. They reward different play styles.

Yeah, that's exactly the problem. It's not very exciting at all for spectators.

HCS is as much about the spectators enjoyment as it is the pros. I'd be happy if they were to just completely remove slayer from season 2.

HTupolev

It's an approach which forces the player to use a variety of weapons, but that variety is essentially whatever is located in the local crates. It's a problem in a game where many players felt like they should have more wiggle room, and the extreme capacity limits are disruptive to the flow of gameplay.

I think it was more that they were balancing both campaign and multiplayer together. Having a plasma pistol—especially when you spawn with it—that could take a dozen charged shots or that didn't overheat and burn off charge if you just kept it held down would be problematic.

If you can't spawn with plasma pistols in H5, I expect we'd see it get buffed a bit.
That's possibly a part of it, although I'm not sure how that logic extends to other spawn weapons where capacity doesn't seem like that big of an MP balance or map flow issue.

There's was plenty of Forerunner ammo literally everywhere. Honestly, while I was playing, anytime I came across UNSC ammo it ripped me out of the immersion, because I couldn't help but wonder how the hell ammo happened to land on the surface conveniently in the path that MC was taking. I'd walk out into an open space early in the campaign and Oh, look, a weapon crate... How the hell?

Yes, I realize it came down with the debris of the forward unto dawn, but it was still too convenient haha.

It just seemed shoehorned in because they wanted to give people the option to keep using the standard weapons. The Forerunner weapons are glorious, and I think they wanted players to be prodded to use them by limiting what else was available.

My go-to, whenever they were available: Light Rifle, and a Suppressor.

Would probably be fine with 4-8 players, they are emulating System Link over the internet so thats gonna be bad with 16 people

So this is like Xbox Connect? I'm wondering if it's possible to set up a running "server" by using one player as a perpetual host that cycles through maps and spawns them outside of the map via Forge. Once someone figures out how to do that, there's no stopping it. This is interesting to witness. I didn't think they'd get mp working for a long time if at all. Now they're beating Microsoft to the punch...

-Ryn

Banned
While I can understand the pros not wanting to play it out of the blue in a 25k competition, Ricochet definitely needs to be given a shot with some tweaks to the score zone size and maps made with it in mind. Slayer as others have pointed out, is a snore fest most of the time based on the matches I've watched.

It's intense and awesome to play of course but the people watching will be bored out of their minds.

guys. modders got halo online multiplayer working
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V94vs2GYO8Y&gl=CA
So it begins

With a laggy connection

H2A = BR + sluggish gameplay = HCS = inevitable decline

Halo is like the Dark Souls of competitive shooters. Still maintains its fanbase and financial success to keep it afloat, but difficult to capture widespread success. The BR should have been a weapon in Bloodborne.

Fuchsdh

There's was plenty of Forerunner ammo literally everywhere. Honestly, while I was playing, anytime I came across UNSC ammo it ripped me out of the immersion, because I couldn't help but wonder how the hell ammo happened to land on the surface conveniently in the path that MC was taking. I'd walk out into an open space early in the campaign and Oh, look, a weapon crate... How the hell?

Yes, I realize it came down with the debris of the forward unto dawn, but it was still too convenient haha.

It just seemed shoehorned in because they wanted to give people the option to keep using the standard weapons. The Forerunner weapons are glorious, and I think they wanted players to be prodded to use them by limiting what else was available.

By the same token, though, why the hell are there all these ammo crates on Requiem? The Knights spawn in with them.

Kssio_Aug

Yeah, actually you're right. I'm noticing the ammos more now, and am making things a bit better. Still, its quite hard sometimes to kill some enemies... Sometimes I just shoot the hell out of some enemies and they keep running and don't die for nothing... it happened specially with some Elites and those aerial things that keeps protecting the Prometheans. I realized also that I have to face enemies at a more close range most of the times, or I'll waste all my ammo. I mean, once I was shooting one of these aerial enemies with a Light Rifle, but I was far from it, still, I shot and it ran away, came back, I shot, ran away, came back, I shot, ran away... I realized it was taking too long to that thing to die so I ignored, got down to the battlefield, killed the dog-like enemies and then shot the hell out of that thing but at a close range so it finally died. I'm not sure if the shot wasn't actually hitting it, or if it was just recharging some kind of shield (but I don't know cause I have not seen that shield layer on its body).

I'm making it better, my experience is getting more enjoyable (specially with that amazing art style), but I still think the way that Halo 1 to 3 dealt with ammo was better. I hope in Halo 5 they adjust at least a middle ground between Halo 3 and 4 in that regard.

-Ryn

Banned
H2A = BR + sluggish gameplay = HCS = inevitable decline

Halo is like the Dark Souls of competitive shooters. Still maintains its fanbase and financial success to keep it afloat, but difficult to capture widespread success. The BR should have been a weapon in Bloodborne.
I thought you hated the BR

Why would you do that to BB?

Halo Online's end match screen is much less bro-ey.

Xek6M0h.png
I hope they don't kill the bromance in H5

Just make it customizable for your Spartan

jem0208

Yeah, and that looks lifeless and boring. I dont understand the hate for people cheering after winning.

Because it's so dudebro and CoD is dudebro and CoD is just the worst?!?!?

/s

Although more seriously, the winning screen in the beta was a bit cheesy. Better than the current Halo online one though. I just hope they don't go too far into the stoic heroism style with the changes they're making to the winning screen for H5, that would be even cheesier.

Sou Da

Just started MCC multiplayer, the very first match took a while to find but every subsequent match in all playlists didn't take long at all.

Some observations:

-People are really awkward in playing CE in the mixed playlists, they seem to not know what to do at all.

-People STILL teamkill over power weapons and even worse they quit when their vote doesn't win, never change XBL.

Top Bottom