• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

Fuchsdh

My only real experience with Tempest was playing a neck-and-neck BTB game that we lost because the other team all hid in the shallow water and rocks behind one of the bases while we were 2 down. Grr.

I feel like the best-looking maps are the ones that feel like they're well-integrated into their skyboxes—Bungie and CA and 343 can makes some amazing visuals but if it doesn't extend to the map proper it falls flat.

I'm surprised no one mentioned the Reach CE remakes though. That High Noon...

Highnoonone.jpg

The views out of the holes in Penance are pretty spectacular too.

Speaking of which, I realize why graphically it's not as interesting, but going back I kind of like how some of CE's maps had that ominous, miles-underground feel to them. We don't really have underground or subterranean maps in recent games. Last I can think of is Breakpoint, though that's not really comparable.

jelly

I really wanted to see the Reach campaign at 1080p/60fps. I'm still hoping we'll see it remastered someway this gen.

Would be a shame if Reach and the CE maps never made it over to Xbox One. The game gets a lot misplaced hate, campaign is a fantastic greatest hits of sort even though everyone wanted the Reach book in some form. I hope 343 are working on this, get all the games over and if they manage to get rid of the blurry AA and make it clean, frame rate issues, thank you very much. Broken record here but fingers crossed 343 continue fixing all the games, making them better all round, graphics and missing effects, sorting multiplayer issues, playlists, starts etc. I would even say rip out classic switch from Halo 2, make it a menu option before playing, same with CE, put in the original music, redo some assets for Anniversary games, they are completely off or a little off, CE one is just terrible. Perfect the collection. Dreaming...yeah probably but it would be amazing if 343 made them all sublime in the end.

i've always said it with the caveat of the actual original vs Halo PC. You may notice we still lack the actual original Halo 1 MP.
I know lol, I was only kidding. Halo PC is good enough anyway, and probably better in many cases like Hang 'Em High not having that silly lip in the trench.
My only real experience with Tempest was playing a neck-and-neck BTB game that we lost because the other team all hid in the shallow water and rocks behind one of the bases while we were 2 down. Grr.

I feel like the best-looking maps are the ones that feel like they're well-integrated into their skyboxes—Bungie and CA and 343 can makes some amazing visuals but if it doesn't extend to the map proper it falls flat.
I liked Tempest. Reach and Halo 4 DLC maps were better than on-disc maps imo.
I'm surprised no one mentioned the Reach CE remakes though. That High Noon...

Highnoonone.jpg

The views out of the holes in Penance are pretty spectacular too.

Speaking of which, I realize why graphically it's not as interesting, but going back I kind of like how some of CE's maps had that ominous, miles-underground feel to them. We don't really have underground or subterranean maps in recent games. Last I can think of is Breakpoint, though that's not really comparable.
Ominous is a great way to describe that feeling. CE was more mysterious and sci fi whereas the later games felt militaristic and like action movies.

I think those Reach remakes made several improvements to the maps as well. Shame they were released so late in the game and locked to Anniversary playlists.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer

-Ryn

Banned
I always freak out when someone posts things that is usually on Chinese forums instead of gaf. Guess I should calm down a big.
Naaaahhhhh

I don't remember very well but I think I got it from a Chinese forum during a google search. Or perhaps it was from a NeoGaf meltdown...

Fuchsdh

I know lol, I was only kidding. Halo PC is good enough anyway, and probably better in many cases like Hang 'Em High not having that silly lip in the trench.

I liked Tempest. Reach and Halo 4 DLC maps were better than on-disc maps imo.

Ominous is a great way to describe that feeling. CE was more mysterious and sci fi whereas the later games felt militaristic and like action movies.

I think those Reach remakes made several improvements to the maps as well. Shame they were released so late in the game and locked to Anniversary playlists.

Really that's the ultimate weakness of CEA to me. I can understand not liking some of the design choices they made with some of the remastered geometry, et al, but the only real problem I had with it is when you flip back to the original, you realize CE had this at times muted, very purple and grey thing going on in the interiors that absolutely felt like the Flood would pop out at you. In comparison the hallways on Installation 05 and the Ark just didn't have the same gravitas to them, even as they got more baroque graphics-wise.

Kssio_Aug

This night I finished Halo 4, and completed all the Halo campaings for the 1st time ever.
I'm in love for this serie!

Also, when it comes to campaing, my order from favorite to least favorite is:
Halo 4 > Halo 3 > Halo CE > Halo 2

Online I would say: Halo 2 & Halo 4 > Halo CE > Halo 3.

Atypical I know... but that's how I feel! =P

All of the games are great on both campaing and multiplayer though. Can't wait for Halo 5!

jem0208

This night I finished Halo 4, and completed all the Halo campaings for the 1st time ever.

All of the games are great on both campaing and multiplayer though. Can't wait for Halo 5!

Finally experienced the greatness that is Halo eh? :p

ODST is coming soon as well, so you have that to look forward to as well. It's a fantastic spin off from H3. In many ways I actually prefer ODST to H3.

I also liked H4, Yeah it had some problems, but I still found it to be a very enjoyable game. Personally if I had to rate them:

Campaign: H2>ODST>CE>H4>H3>Reach
Multiplayer: H2>CE>Reach>H4>H3

Also, Halo Wars remastered on PC please and thank you.

Kssio_Aug

Finally experienced the greatness that is Halo eh? :p

ODST is coming soon as well, so you have that to look forward to as well. It's a fantastic spin off from H3. In many ways I actually prefer ODST to H3.

Yup! I'm looking forward to Halo ODST aswell! And hopefully they will announce Reach too (I'd pay a certain price for it).

The game is awesome! I bought the collection on release so it took me a while to finish them all, since I was also playing other things on my free time. But it's my all time favorite shooter already! The gameplay is just way too good, and so is the world and lore of it!

Now I'll enjoy more of the MP, and who knows I even try some LASO achievement.

I also liked H4, Yeah it had some problem, but I still found it to be a very enjoyable game. Personally if I had to rate them:

Campaign: H2>ODST>CE>H4>H3>Reach
Multiplayer: H2>CE>Reach>H4>H3

Also, Halo Wars remastered on PC please and thank you.

What's funny about Halo, is how so many people have so different opinions about the campaings. But most of Halo fans ends up enjoying them all anyway! =)

HTupolev

I would even say rip out classic switch from Halo 2, make it a menu option before playing
I highly doubt that would allow H2A to get to 1080p. There are probably some things that have to be executed all the time for both modes (like the sound system, and possible some asset streaming and such), but there's tons of evidence that the two graphical systems are not actually running simultaneously, at least not very fully.

Like how performance issues related one layer don't seem to exist when using the other layer.
Those vehicle section drops in CE Anniversary go away if you switch to Classic.
Same with H2A's occasional stutters when using H2C.
And if you punch an elite in CE Classic to wreck the framerate, the game starts running smoothly when you switch back to Anniversary.
The only one that I haven't been able to test is if H2C drops can carry into H2A, as there aren't obvious ways to cause drops to occur.

Or, how certain things don't seem to get executed unless you were actually using the mode. For example:
If an explosion goes off in CE and you were using the Anniversary graphics, the falling dirt doesn't have its correct color when you switch into Classic Mode.
The same thing occurs in Halo 2, except that the falling dirt was simply never spawned in Classic Mode and doesn't show up.
The explosion screen effects of CE Anniversary seem to accumulate when you're in Classic Mode, only executing when you finally switch to Anniversary Mode; so if you throw a plasma grenade in front of you in Classic Mode and wait 30 seconds before switching to Anniversary, when you finally switch you'll get the blue flash from the plasma grenade.

I can't help but think that the biggest reason that H2A runs at sub-1080p really just comes down to it being graphically intensive.

CliQ

If any dedicated CE 2s players are looking for a partner PM me for my GT.

You don't get to come in here demanding people who play CE to PM you until you have proven yourself worthy of playing CE with. Who do you think you are?

Welcome brother!

CyReN

There's still a possibility of Ricochet at the final LAN.

And yeah, this lack of or shit communication is terrible.

Anythings possible, the lack of testing or even community feedback regarding testing for gametypes and maps has been horrendous. I don't get why it's so hard, MLG laid out a blueprint of 10 years for 343i/ESL to use and they just ignore it.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I love doubles so much. I really wish it'd be a permanent playlist.

Or maybe we could just get a custom games browser.

Madness

Pretty shitty article, that doesn't really have much substance, plus the Tim guy sounds like a moron. 'I feel the ship has sailed' blah blah Destiny etc. What idiot wants less games for their medium? You don't have to play it, but there are millions who would.

Halo and Destiny have very little in common. Who plays Destiny PvP? Who even enjoyed the Destiny story or campaign? All this tells me is he liked grinding loot for 800 hours or whatever. What Halo excels at, Destiny doesn't. Halo will most likely never have raids, or loot grinding. But it will have good arena combat multi-player, a much better campaign and level design, etc.

What PC owner, and even Halo fan wouldn't want the ability to play Halo on PC? I mean sure you have counterstrike to get your shooter fix, but much like LoL, Dota 2, there is room for more than one.

If anything, 343 should be working their ass off for an MCC launch with Windows 10. Have most of the issues fixed, so that PC'ers can finally get Halo 3 and Halo 4 on PC, and can get full 60 fps, and get Forge and all the other tools. We've seen how creative people are with Halo Online, imagine what they could do with MCC on PC.

Pretty shitty article, that doesn't really have much substance, plus the Tim guy sounds like a moron. 'I feel the ship has sailed' blah blah Destiny etc. What idiot wants less games for their medium? You don't have to play it, but there are millions who would.

Halo and Destiny have very little in common. Who plays Destiny PvP? Who even enjoyed the Destiny story or campaign? All this tells me is he liked grinding loot for 800 hours or whatever. What Halo excels at, Destiny doesn't. Halo will most likely never have raids, or loot grinding. But it will have good arena combat multi-player, a much better campaign and level design, etc.

What PC owner, and even Halo fan wouldn't want the ability to play Halo on PC? I mean sure you have counterstrike to get your shooter fix, but much like LoL, Dota 2, there is room for more than one.

If anything, 343 should be working their ass off for an MCC launch with Windows 10. Have most of the issues fixed, so that PC'ers can finally get Halo 3 and Halo 4 on PC, and can get full 60 fps, and get Forge and all the other tools. We've seen how creative people are with Halo Online, imagine what they could do with MCC on PC.

I agree with everything you said, but unfortunately on your last point, MS has seen what people can do with Halo Online, and it scares the shit out of them. They don't seem to get the mod community, and are shooting C&D notices as fast as they can. I really believe that their ill-fated ideas of piracy are what's preventing Halo to really come back to PC.

Ramirez

What does MS gain from giving Halo fans MCC on PC? With Forge no less? They want you to buy a Xbox One after all. Give them MCC and Forge and you'd probably never need another Halo again considering they'd mod the shit out of it. Halo is one of the few things MS has to push their console for fence sitters.

What does MS gain from giving Halo fans MCC on PC? With Forge no less? They want you to buy a Xbox One after all. Give them MCC and Forge and you'd probably never need another Halo again considering they'd mod the shit out of it. Halo is one of the few things MS has to push their console for fence sitters.

You're assuming that they're going to be making consoles forever. At the moment, as far as a huge chunk of the PC gaming crowd is concerned "Microsoft" is a dirty word. Releasing MCC on PC builds some goodwill, which I would argue is going to be necessary for when they move away from dedicated gaming platforms.

Top Bottom