• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

jem0208

So pumped. Going to do another HR playthough, just trying to decide whether to dig out my 360 or just buy it on Steam.

I have been thinking the exact same thing since the reveal trailer. Kinda annoyed I never picked up the Director's Cut version for super cheap during a steam sale.

Edit: Well actually, I've been trying to weigh up the benefits of playing HR vs studying for exams... Most times I settle on browsing Gaf...

Since we're not talking about Halo, anyone else here ridiculously excited for the new Deus Ex?

Human Revolution is up there in my top ten games of all time, if by some miracle Mankind Divided comes out this yeah, H5 will have some serious competition for my favourite shooter of the year.

DXHR is one of my top 5 favorite video games. Soooooo stoked for this new one.

jem0208

I thought the combat in deus ex was a little janky, but I definitely enjoyed the game overall. Looking forward to another one.

HR wasn't perfect but the atmosphere and story were absolutely fantastic. I also loved how you could approach almost every situation in a bunch of different ways. I'm hoping they tighten up the combat in MD.

AlStrong

God damn it Elzar:

asslands.jpg

I bet she gives great helmet.

.....wat

Karl2177

Why has does my shit get reset every time I load this game? I'm [HGS] Karl2177 with the Mongoose as the picture, Atomic as the emblem, PAT as my service ID, and HALO as my nameplate. Now every time I load the game up, I'm [UNSC] Karl2177 with Halo 4 Master Chief as my picture, Chief helmet as the emblem, 117 as my service ID, and default as my nameplate.

m23

Kindle version of Halo: Broken Circle is on sale for $1.99 on Amazon. Haven't read it yet so bought it, no idea if it's any good.

Kindle version of Halo: Broken Circle is on sale for $1.99 on Amazon. Haven't read it yet so bought it, no idea if it's any good.

I'll pick it up too! I need to get back to finishing them.

So far I finished:

The Fall of Reach
The Flood
First Strike
Ghosts of Onyx
Contact Harvest
Cole Protocol

I'm currently working on the Forerunner Saga.

m23

I'll pick it up too! I need to get back to finishing them.

So far I finished:

The Fall of Reach
The Flood
First Strike
Ghosts of Onyx
Contact Harvest
Cole Protocol

I'm currently working on the Forerunner Saga.

Forerunner books were good books, might re-read them soon.

RowdyReverb

I wonder why it didn't occur to 343 in H4's development that non-random fixed weapon spawns with timers over them would fix their perceived problem of veteran players having a map knowledge advantage over newcomers. H5's solution makes so much more sense than random drops

Welfare

I wonder why it didn't occur to 343 in H4's development that non-random fixed weapon spawns with timers over them would fix their perceived problem of veteran players having a map knowledge advantage of newcomers. H5's solution makes so much more sense than random drops

343 was trying to be as non Halo as possible.

I wonder why it didn't occur to 343 in H4's development that non-random fixed weapon spawns with timers over them would fix their perceived problem of veteran players having a map knowledge advantage over newcomers. H5's solution makes so much more sense than random drops

not dynamic enough

design by heatmap philosophy

Impala26

+1
Impala26 likes this

Madness

That's like losing hype for Halo 5 because of what 343 did with MCC

Except for the part where 343 actually did work on MCC and are directly responsible for the stuff that didn't work. The handwaving away of any responsibility for 343 is Mind-boggling. Blur was not in charge of making sure the game worked. Neither was certain affinity. All the outsourced parts alone do what they were supposed to do. Henery called it a Frankenstein product, but you guys are blaming the individual body parts, when it's Dr. Frankenstein who's responsible for bringing it to life.

343 got whatever work they hired these companies to do, and were now supposed to bring them together, do QA and testing to make sure they were functional, and then to develop the backend, set up the DEDICATED SERVERS, we heard so much about. So that on launch, when I click play team slayer, I'm not sitting there for 6 hours with a thumb up my ass while the game does nothing. Whereas Visceral has nothing to do with Battlefront, 343 is asking us to trust them their testing and quality assurance and network development is much better for their next game, when this is now their second game in a row that had a poor launch, with a lot of development issues. So you can see why people would be hesitant for another go-around.

Except for the part where 343 actually did work on MCC and are directly responsible for the stuff that didn't work. The handwaving away of any responsibility for 343 is Mind-boggling. Blur was not in charge of making sure the game worked. Neither was certain affinity. All the outsourced parts alone do what they were supposed to do. Henery called it a Frankenstein product, but you guys are blaming the individual body parts, when it's Dr. Frankenstein who's responsible for bringing it to life.

343 got whatever work they hired these companies to do, and were now supposed to bring them together, do QA and testing to make sure they were functional, and then to develop the backend, set up the DEDICATED SERVERS, we heard so much about. So that on launch, when I click play team slayer, I'm not sitting there for 6 hours with a thumb up my ass while the game does nothing. Whereas Visceral has nothing to do with Battlefront, 343 is asking us to trust them their testing and quality assurance and network development is much better for their next game, when this is now their second game in a row that had a poor launch, with a lot of development issues. So you can see why people would be hesitant for another go-around.

Agree with this. And i dont get why people come up with Visceral. Battlefield Hardline was Viscerals baby. DICE did nothing for that game.

To be fair, I think only amongst hardcore Halo fans do we hear about the other companies and questioning if blame should be put on them. I think it's to excuse our beloved Halo developers wherever we can to never lose hope in the franchise. There's a certain level of affinity maintained for any developer of a Halo product amongst fans, I believe, and rightfully so because this is an incredible franchise, but dangerous because it can sometimes blind people.

343 seems to have received most of the criticism and turds flung their way over TMCC from what I've seen. They are the face of the product, after all, and the company people complain about when discussing TMCC's poor handling.

Go around #3. Let's not forget the state Halo 4 was in at launch, too.

I mean, I love a lot of what 343i did. But they messed up MCC bad. It's a shit-stain on the franchise from my view. And no free ODST or Relic map will change that for a long time for me. I'll be watching it, but it all but killed my appetite for "classic" Halo, and that saddens me. A lot of my (non forum, non lorenerd) friends were not even as kind about it as I am. I blame 343i/Microsoft 100%.

RowdyReverb

Yes, 343's MCC team dropped the ball on matchmaking, but I think buyers would have been more forgiving if it was just that the matchmaking was slow. Instead, the product was a package of bits and pieces that weren't quite right in each component of this "Frankenstein". This caused a worse overall impression of the game at launch and 343 receives a disproportionate share of the blame for that. Not saying they do not share any responsibility for the botched launch, but it shouldn't be enough to trash the entire studio's reputation.

I'm inclined to believe that MCC isn't a good predictor of H5's quality on launch and I see H5 as the studio's true "sophomore" game, while MCC's matchmaking is more of a side project by a subset of the studio. The H5 beta is a better barometer IMO, and its relatively smooth operation left me optimistic for their upcoming effort.

To be fair, I think only amongst hardcore Halo fans do we hear about the other companies and questioning if blame should be put on them. I think it's to excuse our beloved Halo developers wherever we can to never lose hope in the franchise. There's a certain level of affinity maintained for any developer of a Halo product amongst fans, I believe, and rightfully so because this is an incredible franchise, but dangerous because it can sometimes blind people.

343 seems to have received most of the criticism and turds flung their way over TMCC from what I've seen. They are the face of the product, after all, and the company people complain about when discussing TMCC's poor handling.
Fair point. I'll readily admit that I want to believe the next game can be good, but it wouldn't change my opinion that MCC was a minor product between major ones for which a part of 343 designed a component, just as I wouldn't judge them for Spartan Assault even though their name is on it. And it's true that it's the judgement of the public that will actually matter in the grand scheme, not debates in subforums. But we're all about sharing minority viewpoints here, right?

a beta for a patch that got delayed then cancelled

a beta for a patch that...

The sentence is just ridiculous to say to people who bought their Xbox One for MCC and don't read GAF or reddit or anything of the sort. You get half way through it, and then their eyes glaze over while they're returning the console and forgetting they ever even liked Halo.

The patch wasn't cancelled, just the beta for it. Patch came out and worked, so idk why that's such a big deal

That's what I mean. The beta program was cancelled after the beta for the patch was delayed. The way I wrote it is just poor English.

edit: basically it went like this:

Hey Mr Greencastle why is Halo not working I bought an Xbox for this? (friends ask me this stuff because they know I keep up on it)
Me - Don't worry, just wait, they just announced they'll be patching it soon
Yo Mr Green, where's that patch you were talking about?
Me - Don't worry, they just announced a beta program so that we can get patches earlier, not long now
Uhhh Mr Green, ???
Me - Yeah, about that, the beta for the patch was delayed for whatever reason, should be just around the corner
....Mr Green! ...........
Me - Yeah they cancelled the beta program for beta patches altogether... The Patch will still come though, I swear.

At that point, Xbox consoles were returned.

Fair point. I'll readily admit that I want to believe the next game can be good, but it wouldn't change my opinion that MCC was a minor product between major ones for which a part of 343 designed a component, just as I wouldn't judge them for Spartan Assault even though their name is on it. And it's true that it's the judgement of the public that will actually matter in the grand scheme, not debates in subforums. But we're all about sharing minority viewpoints here, right?
For sure, hope I didn't come off as thinking otherwise lol
At that point, Xbox consoles were returned.
Yup, I'm sure this situation happens a lot with other franchises too though. "Just try it, I know it's not Melee or Smash 64, but if you go into it with a different mentality with little expectations, Smash 4 is actually a good game in its own right."

Personally, I just stopped relying on my friends to have fun in multiplayer games because it's a combination of changes made to a game and a fan's ability to accept said changes. However, when a game deliberately chooses to leave out ways to meet new people (Screw you Nintendo "beliefs" and shame on fans for accepting this heresy), then that's when I have a problem. Hence the backlash Splatoon is receiving for no voice chat or the backlash 343/Microsoft should be receiving if they don't have a Custom Games Browser in Halo 5 ;]

For sure, hope I didn't come off as thinking otherwise lol

Yup, I'm sure this situation happens a lot with other franchises too though. "Just try it, I know it's not Melee or Smash 64, but if you go into it with a different mentality with little expectations, Smash 4 is actually a good game in its own right."

Personally, I just stopped relying on my friends to have fun in multiplayer games because it's a combination of changes made to a game and a fan's ability to accept said changes. However, when a game deliberately chooses to leave out ways to meet new people (Screw you Nintendo "beliefs" and shame on fans for accepting this heresy), then that's when I have a problem. Hence the backlash Splatoon is receiving for no voice chat or the backlash 343/Microsoft should be receiving if they don't have a Custom Games Browser in Halo 5 ;]

Amen. Honestly MCC was the perfect opportunity to get a custo- ahhh nevermind, we all know MCC was the perfect opportunity.

Madness

you really have a hard time dealing with people who have different opinions than you, huh

The really sad part is, no Halo fan or MCC buyer can even really dispute what I said. It's not like I said ADS sucks. I just laid out what I believe is the truth regarding MCC development and blame. But hey, more power to people who need to defend at all costs.

Check HGS. Perm too. Now he's with the other greats of HaloGAF.

*looks up at previous posts*

Umm...is this a bad time?

So, I just got an Xbox One today. Halo TMCC obviously. Friend told me 343i was planning another beta for Halo 5 after E3. Is this true or is he misinformed?

Also when will ODST be available for late adopters?

Shout out to any DGAFfers in here

Madness

So, I just got an Xbox One today. Halo TMCC obviously. Friend told me 343i was planning another beta for Halo 5 after E3. Is this true or is he misinformed?

No other beta scheduled, ODST only free if you played before December 19th. I assume it'll be available for you the same time as us, no word on whether you'll have to pay etc.

Karl2177

Why has does my shit get reset every time I load this game? I'm [HGS] Karl2177 with the Mongoose as the picture, Atomic as the emblem, PAT as my service ID, and HALO as my nameplate. Now every time I load the game up, I'm [UNSC] Karl2177 with Halo 4 Master Chief as my picture, Chief helmet as the emblem, 117 as my service ID, and default as my nameplate.

Still want to know.

He is overly hopeful. No confirmation, just wet dreams.

Omni

They'll no doubt sell ODST. Only way you could have got it free is if you played a few months ago

Top Bottom