• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

Nice Ozzy, how are you liking CE's gameplay? I see you still have some getting used to (can tell from getting stuck at the Sniper lol), but are you enjoying the weapons? Don't sleep on the range of the Plasma Rifle by the way; it's really good at short-medium range and shooting single plasma bolts actually travel far lol

Also try not scoping in with the Pistol unless from really long ranges and/or if they're not targeting you. Hip fire is the way you want to use it most of the time, and by putting your reticle on the enemy's body, not the center of the reticle as instinct tells you. Remember, it's not hitscan so the bullet has to travel, so a good rule of thumb is using the outside of your reticle to line up shots. Those 4 little slits are helpful inside the reticle, so imagine your bullets registering where you aim those, taking into account their movement of course.

Nice Ozzy, how are you liking CE's gameplay? I see you still have some getting used to (can tell from getting stuck at the Sniper lol), but are you enjoying the weapons? Don't sleep on the range of the Plasma Rifle by the way; it's really good at short-medium range and shooting single plasma bolts actually travel far lol

Also try not scoping in with the Pistol unless from really long ranges and/or if they're not targeting you. Hip fire is the way you want to use it most of the time, and by putting your reticle on the enemy's body, not the center of the reticle as instinct tells you. Remember, it's not hitscan so the bullet has to travel, so a good rule of thumb is using the outside of your reticle to line up shots. Those 4 little slits are helpful inside the reticle, so imagine your bullets registering where you aim those, taking into account their movement of course.

I used to play splitscreen a fair amount and I'm again enjoying CE on my own, some customs and a little partied-up matchmaking too. The netcode really hurts my want to play it online though, it's a harsh reminder of the age of CE. I do enjoy the pistol still, just behind the DMR for me. I much prefer precision over burst weapons.

I mess up CE jumps quite a bit, that jump delay is murder. I sooo want the plasma stun to return in Halo 5, it would be a great PP & PR additional tweak to that sandbox of movement options. You just have to love getting that PR circle strafe against an AR+beatdown hero...they get concrete shoes and it's a wonderfully rewarding kill.

Good tips on the pistol reticule/zoom, I am rusty but when you get a decently matched CE game/netcode you really find out how good players are with the CE movement and pistol work. For me the CE maps still hold great value e.g. 2 flag sidewinder BTB or battle creek 4v4 being favs. Longest is both awesome and an evil bitch if you're getting hammered. Customs we like Boarding Action for some warm up silly fun and Damnation for straight up bragging rights. Chillout customs FFA is good stuff too.

When MCC works there is just so much great content to jump into, CE is a good chunk of that for me.

spawn
walk very slowly for three minutes
spot an enemy
walk very slowly until you're within BR range
[and then repeat if you die]

zzzzzzzz

Exile has an infinitely more interesting layout.
Kittens gets it. I never cared much for Avalanche either. Containment on the other hand ;)

FyreWulff

Try as much as you want to champion CE, but the current CE netcode is awful. I had a Blood Gulch map where I was 3-4 shotting from teleporter to opponent base. Next CE match, I shotgunned a guy twice at close range and he's still standing. CE is barely above the insta-quit line.

You can re-arrange the letters in 'shotgun' into 'hostgun'

It's only assault to my knowledge.
You would think that, but like most things in the MCC, its not consistent at all, so you're rolling the dice. I've had times where assault would come up with BR starts and flag with AR. Don't trust the game. That's the rule to live by.

dwells

So 154 days since launch and the game is still broken and missing key launch features and we haven't even heard anything about this month's update halfway into the month?

k

Tawpgun

So 154 days since launch and the game is still broken and missing key launch features and we haven't even heard anything about this month's update halfway into the month?

k
Well you can actually play the game now which is nice lol.

And bravo just yesterday said he's working on the update. Soon.

dwells

Well you can actually play the game now which is nice lol.

And bravo just yesterday said he's working on the update. Soon.
I gave up on actually playing it a while ago. Getting into matches is nice, but those matches still crash immediately after starting, still have uneven teams, and always have quitters. Getting a fun, even, competitive game is quite literally impossible.

Tawpgun

I gave up on actually playing it a while ago. Getting into matches is nice, but those matches still crash immediately after starting, still have uneven teams, and always have quitters. Getting a fun, even, competitive game is quite literally impossible.

Ummm I haven't experienced uneven teams in a while. Pretty sure that's mostly fixed but I wouldn't be surprised if it happens from time to time.

I think after playing from like 5-10 last night I had one match that failed to load (it was Halo 4 so I'll take that as a win) and one CE match that ended early. Rest was smooth sailing.

Quitters will be quitters. Been an issue in almost every Halo game. But I think it happens a bit more here because when people go into playlists with multiple games and don't get the one they want they leave.

Me and Booties (RIP in peace) played 2 days ago and got rocked by full teams and in doubles for a bit. I think you're exxagerating a bit or truly haven't played in a while. Send an FR to Tawpgun if you want to dong. Always looking for more people to party up with. Because HaloGAF seems dad as far as actually playing the game in their namesake.

spawn
walk very slowly for three minutes
spot an enemy
walk very slowly until you're within BR range
[and then repeat if you die]

zzzzzzzz

Exile has an infinitely more interesting layout.

Yes yes yes. This is why I prefer the H4 btb games so much more. And Exile is wonderful, although not nearly as fun without infinity settings. I miss being able to combo hardlight shield and the turret perk to take down vehicles. It was a really fun map for dominion. Pity that'll never get played on MCC

jem0208

Yes yes yes. This is why I prefer the H4 btb games so much more. And Exile is wonderful, although not nearly as fun without infinity settings. I miss being able to combo hardlight shield and the turret perk to take down vehicles. It was a really fun map for dominion. Pity that'll never get played on MCC
Saying you like Infinity settings is a risky move 'round these parts...

Tawpgun

Infinity BTB
K8WcZ5l.png

jem0208

'Cause they suck.

I like Halo 4 more than most, but they do. They suck. They're awful. They're bad. They're UnHalo.

They're not good, is what I'm saying.

Dominion was an okay time, though.
Oh I agree for the most part.

I'm not too offended by loadouts. Spawning with a plasma pistol or boltshot sucks and perks are terrible. However I quite like being able to choose the main weapon you spawn with. You're never stuck with AR starts which is nice. And I can handle the other shitty armour abilities if it means I can use the thruster pack. (Promethean vision is terrible though)

However I hate the lack of weapons on map and ordnance is just an awful idea.

Overall I'm okay with Infinity settings on the MCC version of H4.

Tawpgun

Being able to spawn with a BR literally all the time was the greatest thing to ever come out of loadouts.

But the rest of it is garbo

daedalius

I would not mind having loadouts in BTB as long as they are limited and you cant start with plasma rifles.

That is basically what one of the H4 big team settings is. Big Team Slayer I think?

Of course there is a carbine/pp/plasma nade combo in there. It doesn't get used too much.

Ramirez

k

The game is never going to work the way it was advertised. It's going to be even funnier when Halo 5 is released and they quietly sweep it under the rug for good.

Madness

Loadouts were probably one of the main reasons Halo 4 game play was garbage. It went beyond just weapons, but the perks and armor abilities killed game play. If you had the ammo perk, you got like double the power weapon ammo ie. 6 incineration Cannon shots, if you had stability you didn't get flinched when shot. Plasma grenade/pistol combo would just ruin vehicles.

One Loadout I had was specifically for sniper situations. I wouldn't call down my sniper if I got it in ordnance until I died and could respawn with the loadout where I had stealth, active camo, etc. Was near impossible for people to see or hear me, especially in BTB. That's just one example.

I fully expect Infinity settings to return. They wouldn't develop new perks in summer-fall 2013 for Halo 4, around the same time that ADS is shown as working for Halo 5 (The Sprint), only to never use them beyond H4, in my opinion. Reading the pre-order page for Halo 5, they say there is exclusive content that enhances spartan combat, and that arena 4v4 is just a small sample of the multi-player experience.

jem0208

Loadouts were probably one of the main reasons Halo 4 game play was garbage. It went beyond just weapons, but the perks and armor abilities killed game play. If you had the ammo perk, you got like double the power weapon ammo ie. 6 incineration Cannon shots, if you had stability you didn't get flinched when shot. Plasma grenade/pistol combo would just ruin vehicles.

One Loadout I had was specifically for sniper situations. I wouldn't call down my sniper if I got it in ordnance until I died and could respawn with the loadout where I had stealth, active camo, etc. Was near impossible for people to see or hear me, especially in BTB. That's just one example.

I fully expect Infinity settings to return. They wouldn't develop new perks in summer-fall 2013 for Halo 4, around the same time that ADS is shown as working for Halo 5 (The Sprint), only to never use them beyond H4, in my opinion. Reading the pre-order page for Halo 5, they say there is exclusive content that enhances spartan combat, and that arena 4v4 is just a small sample of the multi-player experience.

Ordnance was a far bigger problem than loadouts IMO.

I'm mostly fine with Halo 4's loadouts. I've never felt particularly screwed over by them, and I don't find legendary BRs to be that much better. Actually, in the MCC I almost prefer infinity because I get to use thrusters.

I want to ban all you people. Ghaleon give me mod

Differing opinions! Oh no!

Tawpgun

Ordnance was a far bigger problem than loadouts IMO.

I'm mostly fine with Halo 4's loadouts. I've never felt particularly screwed over by them, and I don't find legendary BRs to be that much better. Actually, in the MCC I almost prefer infinity because I get to use thrusters.
I want to ban all you people. Ghaleon give me mod

Yup, i fully expect that the "large mp experience" is going to use all the bells and whistles like Loadouts, Perks etc.

I doubt that everything from Halo 4 is gone.

jem0208

I would be fully okay with a giant Battlefield-esque BTB.

And I really wouldn't care if you lot hated it because it would be awesome.

willow ve

See then when you killed ME I would use my loadout that put a giant red arrow above your head when I was sniped so I could find you for revenge. The meta game was so deep.

You can re-arrange the letters in 'shotgun' into 'hostgun'
This is perfect.
He spits hot fire.
Munch.. thanks goodness you're a wonderful human bean.

Dominion was awesome though imo; it needs to return.
See then when you killed ME I would use my loadout that put a giant red arrow above your head when I was sniped so I could find you for revenge. The meta game was so deep.
Just one of the many perks that created bad habits and mind gamed nubby nubcakes into chasing kills upon respawning, and more than likely doing more harm than good for their team.

Tawpgun

Forgot to mention I played a btb one flag game on h2A Zanzibar that had those Smg/pr/pistol loadouts.... I'd normally hate it but I enjoyed it........

The catch is that every round I got the br and snipe and just shit on defenseless kids. Just reinforced how silly non br starts are.

Top Bottom