• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

daedalius

Opposed to the off host H2 BR? lol

It seems alright now, I don't remember how it used to be.

Non hitscan br = not getting 5 shotted from across the map

It's btb if you wanna hurry somewhere grab a goose. Otherwise just go at the same speec as everyone else fuck sprint.

How do you prefer spawning with stickies and plasma pistols ew

H2 and h3 btb was the last time I had fun playing btb

zzz I might fall asleep by the time I get there

Admittedly now in BTB, you have to spawn with the covie loadout to get a plasma pistol and stickies most of the time. Lots of people don't and usually go for the DMR or LR loadout. But yea, that was always dumb.

Opposed to the off host H2 BR? lol
Yeah.

It's btb if you wanna hurry somewhere grab a goose. Otherwise just go at the same speec as everyone else fuck sprint.

You have to send videos if you're making a big deal about getting killed "across the map." You have sprint, OP motion tracker and a brain, use them lol

And I'm sure he's referring to the only Halo 4 BTB that matters: the one with equal starts obiously. No one wants Plasma Pistol/stickies in loadouts, but even so, it's not as bad as people make it seem with how it's implemented.

people on waypoint have a massive hard on for the quit ban patch, I'm 80% sure that it's not going to solve any problems, and when that happens everyone is going to go back to flinging shit at 343.

What people should want is accurate skill matchmaking on stable servers, then move on to repeat suicide bans AND then quit bans.

IMO the population will suffer even more when people are not "allowed" to quit anymore.

I dont see a reason to waste my time into a match when 3 of my team mates cant get over 3 kills...

Shit happened to me 2 days ago in Halo 3. I got 37 kills and brought the win for the team. Thats not fun. Its annoying.

jem0208

The number of times I've spawned on the other side of the map without any vehicles around in H3 BTB is ridiculous. I've had games where I have literally ran around for 3-4 minutes without finding any enemies.

Tawpgun

Halo 4 made you guys ADD now. H3 btb was a blast in 2007 and it was hella fun last night.

And yes unknown, ever since DMR's it has been a pain to get around maps even with sprint (when you get shot you slow down anyway) add in paper mâché vehicles and it's even worse. H4 btb and reach is ass. H2 and h3 is so good. Hce is alright but the vehicles are kinda useless outside of flag runs.

wat.

Just another case of opinions. We're all polluted with 'em.

Speaking of vehicles though, the CE Ghost has the same slow-down effect as the PR/PP. Shooting a Tank slows its turret from turning, for example. I'd love to see more creativity in the sandbox than just % differences in stats of damage output.

IMO the population will suffer even more when people are not "allowed" to quit anymore.

I dont see a reason to waste my time into a match when 3 of my team mates cant get over 3 kills...

Shit happened to me 2 days ago in Halo 3. I got 37 kills and brought the win for the team. Thats not fun. Its annoying.

the idea is that if the matches are even, people wont quit as much

.......right? .....maybe?

MouldyK

HaloGAF! My friend is complaining about the crosshair not being at the dead center in Halo Online and previous Halos.

Why did Bungle decide on this?

Fuchsdh

wat.

Speaking of vehicles though, the CE Ghost has the same slow-down effect as the PR/PP. Shooting a Tank slows its turret from turning, for example. I'd love to see more creativity in the sandbox than just % differences in stats of damage output.

I agree, and that's one reason I liked some of the choices they made with the Forerunner weapons in H4, such as the more powerful scope-in, and the shotgun blast of the Boltshot. (And Bungie gets points too for the Focus Rifle and Plasma Launcher.) I think their idea with making the alien weapons accessible came from the right place... but judging by the actual usage I don't think it made any appreciable difference. Better to make the alien weapons more different than a diffuse, repetitious sandbox.

Karl2177

And I'm sure he's referring to the only Halo 4 BTB that matters: the one with equal starts obiously. No one wants Plasma Pistol/stickies in loadouts, but even so, it's not as bad as people make it seem with how it's implemented.

Except H4 in the BTB playlist has "Slayer" and "BTB Slayer". One of them Legendary and one is Infinity. You tell me which is which and I'll tell you if you're right. Additionally, objective modes in H4 BTB are seemingly random if they are Infinity or Legendary.

If it's a Halo 4 map that I liked or that I haven't played, I'll give it a shot. Otherwise, it gets the "Party Options > Leave Multiplayer" from me.

CliQ

wat.

The Plasma Rifle in CE is so good for ambushing people. Please add to H5.

jelly

I'm okay with them monetizing something that wasn't previously monetized, if it meant maps would go free. But this is Microsoft. Rather than make maps free and offset the costs somewhere else, they'd rather keep the map pack situation the same, whilst monetizing something else like weapon skins/sights and dude-bro poses at the end etc.

Yeah, I don't see Micrososft caving to make map DLC free. In their minds, COD, BF etc. do it with success, why shouldn't it work for them.

Halo 4 made you guys ADD now. H3 btb was a blast in 2007 and it was hella fun last night.

And yes unknown, ever since DMR's it has been a pain to get around maps even with sprint (when you get shot you slow down anyway) add in paper mâché vehicles and it's even worse. H4 btb and reach is ass. H2 and h3 is so good. Hce is alright but the vehicles are kinda useless outside of flag runs.

This..H3 Btb is the best and last good btb..Reach was bad, 4 was horrendous..

Tawpgun

HaloGAF! My friend is complaining about the crosshair not being at the dead center in Halo Online and previous Halos.

Why did Bungle decide on this?
If I recall it was something along the lines of making it look better with shooting in first person and bullet trajectories or something.

I agree, and that's one reason I liked some of the choices they made with the Forerunner weapons in H4, such as the more powerful scope-in, and the shotgun blast of the Boltshot. (And Bungie gets points too for the Focus Rifle and Plasma Launcher.

aww man, I forgot all about the magnifying glass. Was really fun to harass people with it on hemorrhage

RoKKeR

Popping in to ask if there have been any recent ODST updates... I would imagine we see this thing dropping sometime around E3?

The Focus Rifle and Plasma Launcher were cool weapons.

H2A's Sentinel Beam is good too. There's something about its appearance and improved effectiveness that really attracts me to it. Hopefully a laser beam like this or the Focus Rifle is in Halo 5.

-Ryn

Banned
H3 BTB was good times. Way better than H4 and a bit better than Halo Reach.

Popping in to ask if there have been any recent ODST updates... I would imagine we see this thing dropping sometime around E3?
Nothing yet nope

Perhaps there'll be an announcement at E3

RoKKeR

H3 BTB was good times. Way better than H4 and a bit better than Halo Reach.

Nothing yet nope

Perhaps there'll be an announcement at E3

Alright thanks. Yeah I can see them doing a "relaunch" of the game at around E3 as an apology/marketing push. Releasing a big CU/ODST/Relic all at once would hopefully bring out the shock paddles for the game.

The Focus Rifle and Plasma Launcher were cool weapons.

H2A's Sentinel Beam is good too. There's something about its appearance and improved effectiveness that really attracts me to it. Hopefully a laser beam like this or the Focus Rifle is in Halo 5.
The focus rifle was such a cool gun. Way better than the beam rifle. The beam rifle is more or less identical to the sniper rifle whereas the focus rifle was at least different and served kind of a different role in the sandbox. The focus rifle was probably my favorite weapon in Reach and I really hope it comes back. It probably won't though.

Fuchsdh

The focus rifle was such a cool gun. Way better than the beam rifle. The beam rifle is more or less identical to the sniper rifle whereas the focus rifle was at least different and served kind of a different role in the sandbox. The focus rifle was probably my favorite weapon in Reach and I really hope it comes back. It probably won't though.

Well, I liked it in the sense that it behaved differently, and wasn't as frustrating to fight against—the fact that players have to deal with the alien weapons is one reason that their effectiveness always has to be tempered; as seen with Reach FF, if you gave them the same weapons and effectiveness as players can bring, players would get *stomped*.

The Beam Rifle was always my preferred sniper, just because it fit my play style—I'd go for the sure two-shot to kill someone, whereas a better marksman is generally more lethal with a Sniper Rifle.

Karl2177

My favorite MCC incident was me and my roommate spawning in like normal on Guardian Ball. I then go to the center and jump into the tree. My roommate and I do the ball throw and only once we had about 30 did we realize no one else spawned in. 10 seconds before the match ends, one of the enemy team spawns in and we won.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
@Brav
Just stopping by to update you on the update that will be coming out later this week to update everyone on the status of the recent update's update. Hang tight!

jktyYLn.png

I appreciate you. <3. You offset our shit talking.

BTB CTF is probably my favorite thing in all of gaming. Moments like this and this are why I love playing multiplayer games.

I've been having a lot of fun in MCC recently. Probably because I've just stopped giving a fuck and stopped taking games too seriously in general. Just been hopping in BTB to see what happens, and it's usually been fun. Sometimes you just gotta step back, relax, and enjoy.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
My lobby voted for CTF on Exile over CTF on Avalanche, the game loaded and my entire team quit and I was left alone.
I would've voted the same way, lol. I really don't get the love for Avalanche, especially with H3's default movement speed. zzzzzzzz

My favorite MCC incident was me and my roommate spawning in like normal on Guardian Ball. I then go to the center and jump into the tree. My roommate and I do the ball throw and only once we had about 30 did we realize no one else spawned in. 10 seconds before the match ends, one of the enemy team spawns in and we won.
In the first week or two after launch I optimistically went into matchmaking and actually managed to get matched with a seven other people, but then the game got stuck on the voting screen. I backed out, and the game showed the other players as being in my lobby still, so I took us into a custom game just to see what would happen and sure enough, I managed to pull'em with me. So weird.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
GZUSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Yall crazy
spawn
walk very slowly for three minutes
spot an enemy
walk very slowly until you're within BR range
[and then repeat if you die]

zzzzzzzz

Exile has an infinitely more interesting layout.

daedalius

spawn
spot an enemy

zzzzzzzz

Didn't you know, you're running at a full sprint all the time? In Halo 3?

I know its hard to believe, since it feels like your slowly jogging through molasses, but its true!

I would've voted the same way, lol. I really don't get the love for Avalanche, especially with H3's default movement speed. zzzzzzzz

Sidewinder/Avalanche are my favorite BTB maps, you may think that movement is a chore, but I think the teleporters/man cannons make the map one of the best to traverse on foot. You can control equipment/power-ups and powerweapons all at once without ever getting in a vehicle. The U shape lends well in objective game modes too, there's so many different ways to plan your attack. I'd take Sidewinder/Avalanche over the box canyon of Blood Gulch/Valhalla every time. I'd love a remake/successor in Halo 5.

spawn
spot an enemy

zzzzzzzz

Exile's map design is so bad that they had to put a Gauss on one side because the other side is closer to the tank, this was clearly an afterthought. Piss-poor design.

Considering that almost all H3 btb objectives in matchmaking at the moment are AR starts, it's a no-brainer.

Avalanche CTF has BR starts.

Ramirez

Exile has awful bases, and the entire play area is focused around that clusterfuck in the middle tower...interesting layout, ehhhh.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Exile's map design is so bad that they had to put a Gauss on one side because the other side is closer to the tank, this was clearly an afterthought. Piss-poor design.
Yeah... If I had my way neither of those vehicles would be on the map, lol.

I'll be honest: I haven't played Avalanche all that much. Probably 30ish times. Certainly not enough to really know its dynamics well enough to make any substantial judgement. Every time I've played it it's felt pretty boring, but a lot of that is probably due to Halo 3's slow movement speed and shit BR. But the layout feels really uninteresting to me, too. There's so little action in the bottom curve of the U, and walking out there takes forever (is there a teleporter that goes out there? I can't remember). A lot of the action seems to take place in the two bases and the middle section that cuts through the wall, with the rest of the map being a virtual dead zone. That's true for every map, especially big ones, but the way it plays out on Avalanche just feels more predictable and uninteresting to me.

But yeah, I could see a Halo 5 remake being really fun considering that game's faster movement speed + better precision rifles. Hopefully they do vehicle combat justice.

Try as much as you want to champion CE, but the current CE netcode is awful. I had a Blood Gulch map where I was 3-4 shotting from teleporter to opponent base. Next CE match, I shotgunned a guy twice at close range and he's still standing. CE is barely above the insta-quit line.
Halo_1_pistol.png
Halo_1_pistol.png
Halo_1_pistol.png

Sucks that you're having those issues though ;[

Karl2177

Yeah... If I had my way neither of those vehicles would be on the map, lol.

I'll be honest: I haven't played Avalanche all that much. Probably 30ish times. Certainly not enough to really know its dynamics well enough to make any substantial judgement. Every time I've played it it's felt pretty boring, but a lot of that is probably due to Halo 3's slow movement speed and shit BR. But the layout feels really uninteresting to me, too. There's so little action in the bottom curve of the U, and walking out there takes forever (is there a teleporter that goes out there? I can't remember). A lot of the action seems to take place in the two bases and the middle section that cuts through the wall, with the rest of the map being a virtual dead zone. That's true for every map, especially big ones, but the way it plays out on Avalanche just feels more predictable and uninteresting to me.

But yeah, I could see a Halo 5 remake being really fun considering that game's faster movement speed + better precision rifles. Hopefully they do vehicle combat justice.

Any time I can pimp this video, I'm going to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12yo8UPgJJ8

Try as much as you want to champion CE, but the current CE netcode is awful. I had a Blood Gulch map where I was 3-4 shotting from teleporter to opponent base. Next CE match, I shotgunned a guy twice at close range and he's still standing. CE is barely above the insta-quit line.

Yep, CE netcode is hit or miss
Host or quit

Here's a lovely latency example

Here's the netcode working well e.g. the shotgun rules

And here's a bonus CE spawns are shit, the spawn killers become the spawn killed

A double bonus just for FUNKNOWN, some decent pistol action

Top Bottom